Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Oct 2016, 19:36 (Ref:3678994)   #16
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
That is the problem, if the race is the only object, who's paying for it? Obviously there isn't enough interest or money in it to even buy tv time as the ALMS was so where is the money coming from without paid features? Even streaming costs buckets of cash and it seems like IMSA has teaspoons of cash to use.
What you say makes sense. But IMSA is already streaming to everywhere except the US, and is paying RLM for their services. So that expense is already there. There's no reason why it can't be on TV and streaming unless you've allowed the TV company to say no to that. This seems like a problem IMSA has created.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 19:54 (Ref:3678998)   #17
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
What you say makes sense. But IMSA is already streaming to everywhere except the US, and is paying RLM for their services. So that expense is already there. There's no reason why it can't be on TV and streaming unless you've allowed the TV company to say no to that. This seems like a problem IMSA has created.
It's a problem broadcast rules have created, they were written pre-streaming and are TOUGH to get changed. Even ESPN has had problems getting things allowed streaming and tv when they wanted. And there's no way Fox is going to not push for YOU to buy the channel over the streaming from IMSA directly. I have FS1 and FS2 through SlingTV streaming but could not get the sign-in from that account to work with FoxSportsGo so the off channel airing was a no-go for me.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 19:57 (Ref:3678999)   #18
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seems like a very complex and regulated situation in the States, like you say. I honestly don't know enough to comment on how to have that changed. Its a shame the American domestic coverage can't get the quality that we get in Europe. Sports car racing in general is in a very good place streaming wise over here. The one major exception is PWC.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 01:11 (Ref:3679092)   #19
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I just have to say reading this thread is refreshing. There has been polite and thoughtful discussion of issues, with no negativity and name calling. Keep it up!
Old 11 Oct 2016, 02:27 (Ref:3679116)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've asked elsewhere here and I don't think there's been an answer but how many more years is the FOX contract?

I'll second the others desires to have a full fledged stream / online "database" where all info is contained and that having a dedicated site / stream leads to covering the event rather than hawking whatever FOX marketing team thinks the target audience is through infomericals and their "flashy" coverage.

FOXgo is available for everyone I believe so not having FS2 shouldn't be the reason to hate FOX. Their coverage does just fine making them look ridiculous...

I don't like to pay for much more than I already do. Yes, I get it, it would be "just 20 dollars" or whatever, but that phrase gets thrown out there 9x a week. Until everything is as reliable and as consistent as the old cable box, I'm sticking with that and free streams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I just have to say reading this thread is refreshing. There has been polite and thoughtful discussion of issues, with no negativity and name calling. Keep it up!
Shut up. This could be a jinx...

-Mike Cooley, The Stroker Ace
Old 11 Oct 2016, 03:47 (Ref:3679143)   #21
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCoach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCoach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCoach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
It's a problem broadcast rules have created, they were written pre-streaming and are TOUGH to get changed. Even ESPN has had problems getting things allowed streaming and tv when they wanted. And there's no way Fox is going to not push for YOU to buy the channel over the streaming from IMSA directly. I have FS1 and FS2 through SlingTV streaming but could not get the sign-in from that account to work with FoxSportsGo so the off channel airing was a no-go for me.
You made me curious so I just tried to sign in on Foxsportsgo.com and after selecting my provider (Cox) it only took a couple of seconds to 'get plugged in' and didn't needed to sign in to that account. I think I've logged in to my Cox account previously but do clear browser history and such on a regular base so not sure if it had been saved/remembered???
Old 11 Oct 2016, 04:26 (Ref:3679167)   #22
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recall starting at Lime Rock, the IMSA youtube replay moved from the FOX broadcast to the IMSA radio feed. I think everybody agrees that was one of the best moves of the year that was made from a TV/Internet broadcasting stand point.

I really really hope they maintain that in 2017. Imagine Daytona and Sebring with the IMSA radio feed free of the FOX tire tip fluff, commercials, and those stupid 1-2 minute segments with drivers saying how tough the race is....you know the one with the close up/slow mo video of the cars to background music. What do you call those?
Old 11 Oct 2016, 04:37 (Ref:3679171)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Recall starting at Lime Rock, the IMSA youtube replay moved from the FOX broadcast to the IMSA radio feed. I think everybody agrees that was one of the best moves of the year that was made from a TV/Internet broadcasting stand point.

I really really hope they maintain that in 2017. Imagine Daytona and Sebring with the IMSA radio feed free of the FOX tire tip fluff, commercials, and those stupid 1-2 minute segments with drivers saying how tough the race is....you know the one with the close up/slow mo video of the cars to background music. What do you call those?
Montage? I hate them all in all sports broadcasts. Then again, "get off my lawn."

Some of the segments with the drivers, tip fluff etc is okay as long as they don't make it so poorly timed. All major media outlets have become so rigid with timing of items that they lose sight of why they are there.

Old 11 Oct 2016, 07:58 (Ref:3679226)   #24
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Does Streaming in America *require* a TV broadcaster to do it? does the race absolutely have to be on Fox Sports as well? Why can't IMSA just stream their own website. Or YouTube and embed the video.

Everyone now has computers or even Smart TVs. It makes it easier to watch. Why not drop TV completely?
Old 11 Oct 2016, 11:29 (Ref:3679259)   #25
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Everyone now has computers or even Smart TVs. It makes it easier to watch. Why not drop TV completely?
Because the race is broadcast not for the fans but for the sponsors. Sponsors want to be on TV, where they think they get more eyeballs ... and possibly, fresh eyeballs.

With TV, they can advertise the race. if the race is broadcast online online, how can they get word to new viewers? Apparently they don't want to advertise non-TV sources on TV ... or only if there is a TV-based option
Old 11 Oct 2016, 11:35 (Ref:3679260)   #26
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Because the race is broadcast not for the fans but for the sponsors. Sponsors want to be on TV, where they think they get more eyeballs ... and possibly, fresh eyeballs.

With TV, they can advertise the race. if the race is broadcast online online, how can they get word to new viewers? Apparently they don't want to advertise non-TV sources on TV ... or only if there is a TV-based option
That's all fine and makes sense, but does this problem exist in the US and no where else? As discussed, there are ways of reaching new audiences online very easily, especially using YouTube.

This seems like a problem that is isolated to the United States and created by the TV companies.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 11:57 (Ref:3679266)   #27
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Maybe not "TV companies", but more of media groups that hold multi facets of telecommunication and drive everything through the cheapest medium. Much like other large corporations and industries, they are very slow to change, especially if it impacts the CEO's salary and dividends.

Old 11 Oct 2016, 13:06 (Ref:3679277)   #28
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!
I'd say the real "driving force" (which in this case is a retarding force) are the advertisers ... who probably notice that people demand no or fewer ads in their online streams (they are already paying for them) and that online ads seem not to be as effective as TV ads.

Advertisers still see broadcast TV as the Mecca of advertising outreach, followed by cable TV, going down the tiers (which is why FS1 is so coveted compared to FS2---sponsors will pay more for the Chance to be in front of more eyeballs.)

Advertisers depend on repetition, too .... but web-watchers seem to really dislike streams with a lot of commercials. Also, people can fast-forward through commercials on a recorded stream, which makes YouTube commercials pretty much worthless.

We as fans look at the race broadcast from a fan's point of view. For the series it is a revenue center (a view which killed ALMS, IMO) to be sold in small chunks for large dollars. That's why Fox doesn't care that it makes races almost unwatchable with its frequent breaks ... it is making money with each ad, and if people cannot follow the race, who cares? Fox got the money for the subscription, and got money for the advertisement.

Advertisers count on the TV format for new viewers because they can sample the entire TV population ... anyone using any kind of TV-Guide function can see any program. Nobody is going to randomly scroll through three hundred thousand YouTube channels and think "Hey, some racing thing I have never heard of! Yahoo!" but (at least in the thinking of TV folks) a person might be scrolling through the much more limited channel list provided by cable and broadcast TV and see some racing series ....
Old 18 Nov 2016, 12:16 (Ref:3689047)   #29
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok what happened to radiolemans.com?! "The account has been suspended"
Old 18 Nov 2016, 14:34 (Ref:3689077)   #30
LC2guy
Veteran

LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't worry, temporary server issue