Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 15 May 2018, 15:25 (Ref:3822618)   #126
F1guyWrongNeighbourhood
Rookie

F1guyWrongNeighbourhood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys, I am visiting France for the first time ever and will be attending the race this year.
I am wondering if accommodation is even required if I am going to go watch a 24 hr race at LeMans only for the race weekend. Thoughts?
Old 16 May 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3822788)   #127
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1guyWrongNeighbourhood View Post
Hey guys, I am visiting France for the first time ever and will be attending the race this year.
I am wondering if accommodation is even required if I am going to go watch a 24 hr race at LeMans only for the race weekend. Thoughts?
It's certainly possible to stay up for the whole 24 hours and a number of people on the forum do just that. A grandstand seat provides a good base for a bit of sleep, and also shelter if it does rain. You would need to look at what's available and purchase one, but again that's not essential. Just bring layers for as it gets colder.

If you're coming in for race day then try to find somewhere decent to fully rest up the night before. Enjoy the race!
Old 16 May 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3822790)   #128
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1guyWrongNeighbourhood View Post
Welcome to the LM subforum, although I think you should change your forum name to F1guyFinallyFoundtheRightNeighbourhood.......

I've never been with no accommodation at all, but I am one of those who have stayed up all night for something like the last 30 Le Mans races. If the weather is good, you should be able to find plenty of places to kip down, say with a sleeping bag, however Simmi's suggestion of a grandstand seat is a good one. It gives you somewhere to have a bit of a rest. Back in the days when I used to wander the circuit alone during the night, I had a seat in T34, the pits grandstand, which by about 3 am I shared with about 4-5 other people.....
Old 16 May 2018, 09:46 (Ref:3822796)   #129
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sure plenty of people have a snooze in their cars in the public carpark.

Others also pitch small tents on the grass verges outside the circuit.
Old 16 May 2018, 09:54 (Ref:3822801)   #130
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But all of this presupposes that you should want to sleep at the expected time - something which I consider madness during the night at Le Mans. You're better off having a couple of hours kip once the sun has come up. As I've said tediously over many years, you just can't miss the magic of the night at Le Mans....
Old 16 May 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3822834)   #131
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
All depends on your plans, if you get a few hours sleep a some point you will be ok to travel sunday,
Old 16 May 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3822839)   #132
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As I usually come at the circuit by car, I follow three rules :
  1. Coming early to avoid traffic jams (8h30 on Saturday)
  2. Sleep half an hour on Sunday morning if the intensity of the race allows it
  3. Sleep one or two hours in the car after the race before going back

If the weather is cold at night (yes, it can happen, it can happen) : thick clothes with hood.
Old 17 May 2018, 19:34 (Ref:3823100)   #133
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just wondered if any local folk have any update on the trains Le Mans weekend. My wife will be flying into Paris on Sunday afternoon and is hoping to get the TGV to Le Mans but there was talk of strikes that day. Thanks in advance.
Old 17 May 2018, 20:17 (Ref:3823110)   #134
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Just wondered if any local folk have any update on the trains Le Mans weekend. My wife will be flying into Paris on Sunday afternoon and is hoping to get the TGV to Le Mans but there was talk of strikes that day. Thanks in advance.
If you mean scrutineering Sunday, then that day should be fine. Sunday as in race day... different story. Strikes around LM time are expected on 12-13 (Tue-Wed) and 17-18 (Sun-Mon) June.
Old 17 May 2018, 20:23 (Ref:3823111)   #135
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Race Sunday, I'm afraid.

You may recall we met over dinner at Bathurst a couple of years back. Enjoy Indy !
Old 18 May 2018, 06:08 (Ref:3823163)   #136
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Race Sunday, I'm afraid.

You may recall we met over dinner at Bathurst a couple of years back. Enjoy Indy !
That was a pretty awesome weekend. Hopefully Indy will be an equally great adventure, and I hope I don't manage to get everyone bored talking about it before Le Mans over a few beers in the campsites.
Old 18 May 2018, 10:26 (Ref:3823204)   #137
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
That was a pretty awesome weekend. Hopefully Indy will be an equally great adventure, and I hope I don't manage to get everyone bored talking about it before Le Mans over a few beers in the campsites.
You're going to the Indy 500 this year Victor!??! You hadn't mentioned it
Old 18 May 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3823208)   #138
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No! First I've heard of it too!
Old 24 May 2018, 22:39 (Ref:3824471)   #139
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Yes'we'll be 'there and back again' 😃

Probably with some 20 Dutch and Germans. Our British contingent has done a Las Vegas trip (?) this year...
Houx annexe again. Lots of newbees. Gonna be great fun again!
Old 25 May 2018, 08:10 (Ref:3824511)   #140
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heading over Friday on a day ferry from Portsmouth and usually stop an hour outside Le Mans at a hotel Friday to be at the circuit in time for morning warm up, works quite well but I do miss camping and experiencing the whole week
Old 25 May 2018, 17:46 (Ref:3824596)   #141
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post
Heading over Friday on a day ferry from Portsmouth and usually stop an hour outside Le Mans at a hotel Friday to be at the circuit in time for morning warm up, works quite well but I do miss camping and experiencing the whole week
I confess having done the long weekend only for 24 years, I couldn't go back to that now. In fact, the period between arriving in LM on Sunday and the race has become almost more important to me than the race itself!
Old 25 May 2018, 18:03 (Ref:3824603)   #142
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I confess having done the long weekend only for 24 years, I couldn't go back to that now. In fact, the period between arriving in LM on Sunday and the race has become almost more important to me than the race itself!
I agree! (although not doing the long weekend yet).
The beginning of the race means the beginning of the end of the trip.
Old 25 May 2018, 18:04 (Ref:3824605)   #143
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I agree! (although not doing the long weekend yet).
The beginning of the race means the beginning of the end of the trip.
Exactly my feelings...... (as I've expressed too many times elsewhere!).
Old 25 May 2018, 18:08 (Ref:3824607)   #144
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes i always have that feeling to, as the race starts you have that feeling that when it ends we will be jumping in the car and on our way home,
Old 25 May 2018, 20:18 (Ref:3824633)   #145
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
OK, enough depressing doom and gloom! In two weeks (tomorrow), I'll be on my way.......
Old 25 May 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3824634)   #146
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Exactly my feelings...... (as I've expressed too many times elsewhere!).
Do you mean that your post-Le-Mans depression begins once the race has started ?
Old 25 May 2018, 20:33 (Ref:3824640)   #147
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Not quite Pascal. It tends to start about halfway through the ferry journey home..... I just enjoy the build up to the race during the week more and more these days.
Old 26 May 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3824733)   #148
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You do get quite a buzz however when you've been watching practice and qualy on tv at home Wednesday and Thursday night and you arrive at Arnage 10 minutes before warm up Saturday morning
Old 26 May 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3824734)   #149
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
You get a buzz turning up at Le Mans full stop - whatever time you manage to get there!

Bizarrely, I get a huge buzz when I step out onto the tribunes on Tuesday, when there are about 3-4 other people about, just looking across to the garages. Last year, James and I sat up in the pits grandstand, and all you could hear was the sounds of the birds.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3834.JPG   IMG_3857.JPG  
Old 26 May 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3824782)   #150
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
what race?

It is the buildup, the campsite, the racefriends and everything around it that matters.