Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Mar 2017, 09:01 (Ref:3721581)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheese [VASC17R3R4] Tyrepower Tasmania SuperSprint, Symmons Plains: 7-9 Apr

The Grand Prix is run & won..

Great speed from DJRTP, so-so at 888 (for once), prodrive up & down like a see saw...

Not too sure what to make of any of it..

The pundits reckon there is a 2 way fight for the championship, 4 drivers..

Except it has rarely worked that way..

Who will win?

#33?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 Mar 2017, 09:18 (Ref:3721585)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
chaz is looking good also, best start he has ever had.

But DJRTP have good straight line speed and at a course that is basiclly two straights reckon they will do well
Old 26 Mar 2017, 11:17 (Ref:3721604)   #3
simonracer
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
simonracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't consider writing off T888 yet. DJR Penske are definitely pretty close though, and Mostert is right behind them. I'd say that will most likely be the big battle at Symmons. Courtney seems to be the next most competitive after them.

As for the Dunlop Series, I'd have to say Dumbrell is a clear favourite for me considering he is maybe the most experienced driver in the field as far as Symmons Plains goes and was basically the fastest runner at Adelaide.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 00:41 (Ref:3721724)   #4
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DJRTP super fast at the GP - RBHRT looked spotty.

Interesting that both had tyre troubles, although Whincup's might have just been judged as unlucky, rather than through set up.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 01:45 (Ref:3721733)   #5
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting this year at this time and I would say that form at the AGP won't necessarily translate into form at Symmons.

DJRTP seem to have horsepower but 888 will be stronger as the year goes on.

PRA probably lack a bit of horsepower but seem to have got onto a good set up for the 55 car.

The other 3 PRA cars were up and down a bit at the AGP especially Waters who couldn't match his Adelaide efforts. Expect frosty to bounce back soon though.

Outside these 3 Teams BJR will be strong especially if Mr Percat has a bit of luck for a change.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 04:13 (Ref:3721745)   #6
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
Interesting this year at this time and I would say that form at the AGP won't necessarily translate into form at Symmons.
Spot on. Red Bull to win every race in Tasmania for mine.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 06:09 (Ref:3721755)   #7
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't go past djrtp, their exit drive and aero setup down the straights means they're likely to be untouchable there.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 06:14 (Ref:3721757)   #8
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
Can't go past djrtp, their exit drive and aero setup down the straights means they're likely to be untouchable there.
Depends, after Adelaide and the GP I am left wondering whether their cars are just super slippery and whether they might hurt tyres in Tassie, or might be vulnerable under braking.

They did certainly look vulnerable at times under braking in Adelaide.

Another thing to consider is Fabs exceptional record at the GP - he may not bring the same form to Symmons Plains.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 06:44 (Ref:3721761)   #9
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FC has been quick at Symmons in the past.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 06:48 (Ref:3721763)   #10
Formula 5000
Rookie

Formula 5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So in 2015 Winterbottom won at Albert Park, in 2016 SVG won and in 2017 Fabs won.
As they each went on to be champion, statistically it's Fabian to celebrate.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 07:13 (Ref:3721768)   #11
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula 5000 View Post
So in 2015 Winterbottom won at Albert Park, in 2016 SVG won and in 2017 Fabs won.
As they each went on to be champion, statistically it's Fabian to celebrate.
That's genuinely a really cool fact thanks for posting that hopefully that comes to fruition
Old 28 Mar 2017, 02:25 (Ref:3722019)   #12
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Punters are heading for Symmons - as soon as I can drag them off the golf course at Barnbougle
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 28 Mar 2017, 03:47 (Ref:3722031)   #13
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
The Punters are heading for Symmons - as soon as I can drag them off the golf course at Barnbougle
So when is the next Darwin trip for the punters?
Old 28 Mar 2017, 03:47 (Ref:3722032)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... when will Mr Douglas get announced in #3 for Tasmania... its a little further across the strait than the AGP was for him... hopefully its earlier this time..
Old 28 Mar 2017, 05:00 (Ref:3722046)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They’ve got every bit of info about Triple Eight, ever’

just thought i would mention this stat from the above article

Quote:
Symmons Plains has traditionally been one of Triple Eight’s most dominant circuits. Including customer team Tekno Autosports, its Holdens are undefeated at the Tasmanian venue since 2013.
Possibly also a benefit from being at the front of the pits on a short track
Old 28 Mar 2017, 05:15 (Ref:3722052)   #16
Mixer
Veteran

That is indeed a fascinating stat, and that is a long period of time.

Just not underestimating Ludo's influence in this resurgent Penkse outfit.

Probably the keenest I have been on Tassie for a while - I suspect there might be some ding-dong battles, some controversial moves ending in tears, some flat spotted tyres... At least that is what I am hoping for!

Anybody else also keen to see how Nissan go? They seem to be stealthily moving up the grid, at 2 tracks that are very big on horsepower.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 06:37 (Ref:3722060)   #17
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... when will Mr Douglas get announced in #3 for Tasmania... its a little further across the strait than the AGP was for him... hopefully its earlier this time..
There was chat, not too far from LDM, that the Russell family will take over the car for an arranged number of events, based on their budget (starting from the Newcastle event, working backwards), and that Mr Douglas, and whoever else presumably, will continue to utilise the car in the offing.

At this point in time, LDM are barely keeping their heads above water under the existing arrangement for this car, but having Mr McNamara putting together last-minute deals, and former HMS designer Peter Hughes doing the last-minute artwork, they can't go too far wrong. On top of this, Mr Douglas has so far proven to be a safe pair of hands, keeping the thing out of the scenery for the most part.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 06:41 (Ref:3722061)   #18
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
At this point in time, LDM are barely keeping their heads above water under the existing arrangement for this car, but having Mr McNamara putting together last-minute deals, and former HMS designer Peter Hughes doing the last-minute artwork, they can't go too far wrong. On top of this, Mr Douglas has so far proven to be a safe pair of hands, keeping the thing out of the scenery for the most part.
Say what you will about S Mc, but he is a hard working servant for the Holden teams!
Old 28 Mar 2017, 06:54 (Ref:3722063)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
There was chat, not too far from LDM, that the Russell family will take over the car for an arranged number of events, based on their budget (starting from the Newcastle event, working backwards), and that Mr Douglas, and whoever else presumably, will continue to utilise the car in the offing.

But jeez the LDM cars were slow in some of those races...
Old 28 Mar 2017, 08:39 (Ref:3722087)   #20
Umai Naa
Veteran

They are nursing some very tired equipment at the moment.

I also believe the deapth of engineering nouse in the team is a tad shallow.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 08:49 (Ref:3722090)   #21
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will LDM announce the signing of Fernando Alonso this week?

Could Fernando be a starter for Symmons Plains?
Old 28 Mar 2017, 09:04 (Ref:3722100)   #22
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
They’ve got every bit of info about Triple Eight, ever’

just thought i would mention this stat from the above article

Possibly also a benefit from being at the front of the pits on a short track
If Ludo has left with info in his brain, well fair enough, but if he has left with his laptop and a bunch of info on the hard drive, surely that is a breach of any normal employment contract? If that's the case, RD isn't as smart as we all think. Summary: I think JDub is ****ing into the wind
Old 28 Mar 2017, 09:12 (Ref:3722103)   #23
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
If Ludo has left with info in his brain, well fair enough, but if he has left with his laptop and a bunch of info on the hard drive, surely that is a breach of any normal employment contract? If that's the case, RD isn't as smart as we all think. Summary: I think JDub is ****ing into the wind
Of course there's no accusation that Ludo has taken information like that, but the guy was a key cog in 888 for _14_ years, and designed the FG Falcon aero, and all the 888 Commodores, and is famous for his demon tweaks. He will know the entire 888 philosophy, mostly because he was responsible for it!

If your enemy suddenly knows all your tricks, it has to make them stronger.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 10:30 (Ref:3722121)   #24
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They are nursing some very tired equipment at the moment.

I also believe the deapth of engineering nouse in the team is a tad shallow.
The loss of Campbell Little and Barry Hay was a big blow for the team. Funnily enough I saw somewhere that former v8 ute racer Gerard McLeod is now the engineer for #3 does anyone know if that's true? I know he's been working there but is it in that capacity or have I misread something?

Last edited by PS2244; 28 Mar 2017 at 10:37.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 10:54 (Ref:3722125)   #25
Umai Naa
Veteran

It's possible.

He engineered Mr Rullo last year.