Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 9 Mar 2006, 09:43 (Ref:1541561)   #1
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A brass disc riveted on the roll hoop would be a SCCA ID plate. I've seen similar on 1972 F5000s but in later years they just stamped the number onto the roll hoop. The number 20.FB.14 is perplexing as it appears to indicate the 14th Formula B car registered in Region 20. Wherever region 20 is ...

Do you have a picture of the plate?

Allen
Old 9 Mar 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1541565)   #2
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found it! 20 is Milwaukee Region. That's plausible, it was a busy area for formula cars. The FA plates were of the form 72.FA.20 or 72.FA.27 where 72 was the year and the last two digits were presumably sequential as they don't seem to match up with entry numbers. It is possible this plate indicates the the FB car that ran as #14 in Milwaukee Region but that's only a theory.

Allen
Old 9 Mar 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1541576)   #3
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen

When did SCCA start labelling cars like this?
Do I just have to look in 1972/73, because I would have thought that there
were more than 14 FBs in CenDiv prior to that season.
Also, is this a situation like the SCCA log books where a car picks up an SCCA
reference at the first meeting it does? This means that out of region cars pick
up odd references [as seems to be the case with a couple of March 80As that I've
been discussing with Charles Warner, which both have Florida logbooks but were
probably based in NE region]
Cen Div would be right for the Cobb car, and he certainly ran SCCA in 1973.
Also, he was, of course, from Texas and might have disposed of the car there.

Chris
Old 9 Mar 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1541590)   #4
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

I don't know when they started but it was certainly happening in 1968 which is about as early as I ever get. The formats change over the years I know about (up to about 1979 or 1980) but it's essentially the same at club level: a region number, a formula (at least after 1971) and a sequence number. If the car is seen first in the 'pro' series, the region number seems to be replaced by the year.

In the pro series in 1976, the ID was the year followed by the entry number. Unfortunately, that's the only one I've found that's that useful. Come to think of it that one might just be a coincidence.

I think the car gets its number the first time it's seen so that's not necessarily by its local club. I've collected about 20 examples of these numbers and heard mention of about twice as many again but still not enough to be 100% confident about the way they worked.

One day I must phone up the SCCA archivist (Pete Hylton, IIRC) and see what he knows.

Allen
Old 9 Mar 2006, 11:16 (Ref:1541622)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For John's peace of mind I've split out your chat re SCCA labeling. Carry on.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 9 Mar 2006 at 11:19. Reason: Split from Chevron B20