Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Dec 2016, 09:24 (Ref:3697086)   #1
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race Retro and/or London Excel

How about a meet up at Race Retro?

Dates are 24th to 26 February, location Stoneleigh Park, Nr Coventry. Website http://www.raceretro.com/

Last edited by Mike Bell; 19 Dec 2016 at 13:50. Reason: added dates
Old 19 Dec 2016, 09:35 (Ref:3697088)   #2
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post

...or Excel?

Dates are 23rd to 26th February, location ExCel, London. Website http://www.thelondonclassiccarshow.co.uk/the-show

Last edited by Mike Bell; 19 Dec 2016 at 13:52. Reason: added dates
Old 19 Dec 2016, 09:35 (Ref:3697089)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Is that question aimed purely at bauble or all and sundry?

If you want, start a thread for RR, it can be plugged into the calendar if needed. For balance will have to add the London Excel show as well! (Which would likely be my choice, or neither ..... )

John, you beat me to it!
Old 19 Dec 2016, 09:44 (Ref:3697090)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You have to wonder about the two shows being on at the same time - madness, surely?
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 19 Dec 2016, 10:23 (Ref:3697094)   #5
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
You have to wonder about the two shows being on at the same time - madness, surely?
Absolute madness, John, but how about we split the RR post off in to a new thread, as Mike suggested?
Old 19 Dec 2016, 10:24 (Ref:3697095)   #6
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Certainly is madness.

Only guessing, but now that RaceRetro is organised by the same outfit as the NEC Classic Car Show I am wondering if they will do a similar thing to the Excel shows & bring the two together in October. It would make quite a lot of sense.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 10:25 (Ref:3697096)   #7
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Is that question aimed purely at bauble or all and sundry?

If you want, start a thread for RR, it can be plugged into the calendar if needed. For balance will have to add the London Excel show as well! (Which would likely be my choice, or neither ..... )

John, you beat me to it!
Great minds think alike - must be a Norfolk thing!!
Old 19 Dec 2016, 11:47 (Ref:3697108)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I've been a regular RR attendee in the past, but the Excel show has appeal for me-

Cheap day return by train and docklands, no car needed.

Access to the Classic show as well.

Sponsored by Octane- they usually do a good job.

Most race organisers I have seasonal contact with will be there, rather than RR.

Or, as I said earlier- neither!
Old 19 Dec 2016, 15:08 (Ref:3697144)   #9
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Well I will definitely be at RR, but not sure which day yet. Looking forward to seeing the Group B cars doing their stuff, even if it is a bit Mickey Mouse.

I hope they don't combine RR with the Classic Car show at the NEC in November, sure I'd like to see more competition cars at that but i prefer the bespoke nature of RR, and ike the chance to go to separate events at opposite ends of the year.

I won't go to Excel. A pain in the butt to get to, whereas at least Stoneleigh is in the middle of the country.

CSCC will be having a stand at both RR and Excel, despite the logistical challenges.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 15:37 (Ref:3697146)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The location of either show works for some and not others! Cross country from here is slow by road and even worse by rail, hence NEC and Stoneleigh never at the top of my 'visit' list!

I see there are a few exhibitors splitting themselves to be at both shows. Good for them, sure it will not be easy.

Agree that RR needs to be at the start of a season, not at the end. Am sure organisers must realise this.....
Old 19 Dec 2016, 16:42 (Ref:3697162)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Excel is good for me, 15 minutes by car, or a bus ride and the cable car across the river, but I probably wont bother any way.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 19:50 (Ref:3697196)   #12
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently I've got an appointment with a certain Mrs Glover at HMI Excel on the Friday and being given a book
Old 19 Dec 2016, 23:15 (Ref:3697239)   #13
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Apparently I've got an appointment with a certain Mrs Glover at HMI Excel on the Friday and being given a book
Are they going to throw it at you Chigs?
Old 19 Dec 2016, 23:29 (Ref:3697246)   #14
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well its going to be RaceRetro again for me on the Saturday, being not far away from Coventry makes it a no brainer, plus the the live stage is always a great watch.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 23:40 (Ref:3697254)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They are all daft, the show you want to put on something else at the same time as is the ridiculous overpriced garbage at the NEC. Not a rival show, that is cretinous to the point of asking if these people are actually real.

A dumbass decison like that means I will not go to either on principle, RR has been falling of a cliff in recent years after a great start, and if there is another show on the same time it will be half empty.

I do wonder at people I really do.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 23:52 (Ref:3697258)   #16
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Are they going to throw it at you Chigs?
Subtle, as long as its only points and not financial penalties.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 07:35 (Ref:3697294)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
They are all daft, the show you want to put on something else at the same time as is the ridiculous overpriced garbage at the NEC. Not a rival show, that is cretinous to the point of asking if these people are actually real.

I do wonder at people I really do.
You've lost me a bit with the first para.

You would assume market research has been done and produced positive evidence that the new show is 'viable'. Or maybe as it it is 'piggy backing' on the Classic Show the space is already paid for and the Historic bit will just be the same visitors.......

Yes, RR does have USPs, the live stage being one. But so does ExCel, the book throwing will be worth entry fee alone.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 09:14 (Ref:3697307)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With your own eyes you have seen the gradual decline of Race Retro. I certainly have. Huge early on, a shoe in every year. Now a fading event, same stands, same people turning up, same cars in the rally stage etc etc.

Market research would give you that fact. Plus location and the fact there was an interest and that has declined. Plus obviously London is surrounded by wealth, the normal market for the majority of classic car owners and enthusiasts.

But, maybe the reason RR has gone downhill is because it is a tired format, entry prices go up a little most years, content goes down. They haven't moved it on. Can you move it on?

Is that the trend for classic motorsport? Are there so many companies wanting to push wares that you can split a cottage industry in two on the same weekend?

To me it smacks of "we are better than you" more than any level of market research. And is honestly one of the dumbest and most selfish things I have ever seen.

It's like holding the Silverstone Classic the same weekend as Goodwood. Cretinous.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 11:36 (Ref:3697323)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
And is honestly one of the dumbest and most selfish things I have ever seen.

It's like holding the Silverstone Classic the same weekend as Goodwood. Cretinous.
Don't hold back- say what you really mean!
Old 20 Dec 2016, 15:01 (Ref:3697353)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
You know me.

Honestly, why you would do such a thing is beyond me.

All sorts of sports try and put events and big finals on in weekends that do not clash.

So why is an off season show any different.

It strikes me that the Excel show is probably trying to shut down Race Retro quite honestly, takeover styleee!
Old 20 Dec 2016, 15:07 (Ref:3697356)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England

I think your last comment will be on quite a few people's minds.....
Old 20 Dec 2016, 19:59 (Ref:3697431)   #22
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes I agree with Chunder. As you know I didn't exhibit last year and the only difference it made to me is that I made more profit in February than the previous year!

I meet lots of old friends, most of them retired from motor sport. The average age of the visitor is pretty high and very few are actual competitors. The auto jumble is getting smaller each year along with the regular stands. Even when we do get illustrious members of the historic racing community visiting, they normally stay in the shiny parts hall and not progress to the Outer Darkness. So I'm no longer a fan!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 20 Dec 2016, 22:52 (Ref:3697466)   #23
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Been to Race Retro most years, always on the Friday - I know we miss the rally-stage but having seen all the cars in proper all-out competition in the day, seeing them play at 1/4 speed doesn't really appeal.....

To me the show, whilst not changing hugely, has always been a pre-season opportunity to meet up with mates and have a chat and plan the season.....expect I'll be there again this coming year. Hiking down to that there Lunnon has less-than zero appeal to me.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 23:23 (Ref:3697473)   #24
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I meet lots of old friends, most of them retired from motor sport. The average age of the visitor is pretty high and very few are actual competitors. The auto jumble is getting smaller each year along with the regular stands. Even when we do get illustrious members of the historic racing community visiting, they normally stay in the shiny parts hall and not progress to the Outer Darkness. So I'm no longer a fan!

until last year I had attended as an exhibitor, of sorts, for several years as part of the CSCC team, and whilst I agree that the average age at RR is on the high side, I would say there is a very high proportion of competitors.

I would also suggest that the auto jumble is largely irrelevant to most competitors and would be better placed at a classic car show, rather than a motorsport show.
Old 21 Dec 2016, 09:15 (Ref:3697549)   #25
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I beg to differ! Maybe it's because you are in the shiny parts hall, by the time they get to the Outer Darkness the competitors have dropped off and all that is left is people with memories of how quick they were.