Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Dec 2008, 02:22 (Ref:2353172)   #1
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look at the results of past winners, only one has really stood out and thats frosty. PD hasnt done much, A Jones didnt do much, Perkins jnr hasnt done much (dont think he won the Jnr V8's) it seems that its the cars they were driving that got them to the title, but when you add a bit of competition from equally good cars and drivers who are just that much better in the main series, they dont seem to be able to cope.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 02:29 (Ref:2353174)   #2
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is a Dev. Series championship worth anything in the Main Game

With the impending departure of Andrew Jones from his seat, the fiasco of Dean Canto at the start of the year, Steve Owen getting bumped by a whole team not just a driver, is it really worth winning a Dev. Series championship??

When you look at the list of champions, the only two that are still in it are Winterbottom and Dumbrell. Mark was held in high regard by the Stones and was nearly lost after Larkham packed up. He was lucky that he landed the FPR drive and had Bright as a team mate. Dumbrell on the other hand I think has survived by the money that is coming from the family business, but I won’t discount his talents. He could have very much been left out to dry by PWR.

I’m not counting D’Alberto at the moment, as I can foresee him staying around a little longer as long as he has connections to HSV and his family business supplying carbon bits to the sport. Even if he gets drop from RNR, I can see him running around under his own team.

That pretty much leaves two others on the list who are currently without a drive.

So, with this years champion not winning a Dev Series title and probably not even having a run in that series. Not to mention the last 5 series champions not even stepping foot in a similar style category, is it really worth the trouble of stepping up or should you stay with it.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 02:41 (Ref:2353176)   #3
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Mark Winterbottom is the only development series champion to show true potential. Simon Wills made a good run at it, and at one stage Team Dynamik were showing signs of promise until Tony Longhurst stepped in. I think the big difference is that the development series has less overall competition (I'm not saying that 25 young blokes aren't competitive). If you have a good car, with Main Game support, you're almost a shoe-in for the championship (Jones, Canto, Winterbottom). Steve Owen most probably won this year because he has had experience in the top level in the past and knows how to set-up a V8 Supercar. The younger guys in the series (Perkins, Reindler, etc) are still somewhat learning that process and might not get the best out of the car.

I think teams see that when they look for drivers in the development series. If someone, for example, dragged an AU Falcon and won the round at Oran Park, people might raise eyebrows. But when a fully professional team, with a fast car, and a good driver win, people, IMO, wouldn't take as much interest. It's a shame that this happens because the development series was created as a stepping stone, and there's a rule that states that the current development series champion cannot compete in the next season (isn't there?), encouraging the champion to seek a V8 Supercar drive. But unfortunately, for the likes of Adam Macrow, it seems that there's just no space for a Development Series champion some years.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 12 Dec 2008, 02:47 (Ref:2353178)   #4
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most Fujitsu/Development Series Drivers still need to bring money to the team.
If you don't have a Sponsor/Rich Father/or some other benefactor, well....
Old 12 Dec 2008, 02:57 (Ref:2353182)   #5
rocks harder
Rookie

Denmark
sunny coast
rocks harder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some of the fields over the years have been poor quality but it is getting stonger. 7 rounds per year is pretty limited seat time to gain enough experience to compete at the front of the main series. they should do atleast ten if it is viable.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 07:06 (Ref:2353235)   #6
JustASupporter
Racer

JustASupporter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is a Dev. Series championship worth anything in the Main Game ?

Like PhaseIII said, you need to bring money to the team. So the answer to that question is NO. It'll put your name ahead of some but no cash in = no contract.

Exhibit A: Dean Canto. 2 times winner and runner up this year (outscored Owen from rounds 2-7 - car failure in Adelaide stuffed this chances) is sitting out the season due to lack of funds for a drive.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 08:11 (Ref:2353265)   #7
kowalski the lone driver
Rookie

Australia
brisbane
kowalski the lone driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the only thing worth anything in the main game now is a bloody big cheque.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2353289)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is interesting that Mr Wills, Mr Dumbrell, Mr Jones, Mr Canto, Mr Winterbottom, Mr Macrow... have each won more championship titles than someone like Mr Murphy....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Dec 2008, 08:49 (Ref:2353291)   #9
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, hes a real talent that one
Old 12 Dec 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2353332)   #10
MattV
Racer

Australia
Sydney
MattV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
It is interesting that Mr Wills, Mr Dumbrell, Mr Jones, Mr Canto, Mr Winterbottom, Mr Macrow... have each won more championship titles than someone like Mr Murphy....
Like everyone you are entitled to your opinion, but why single Murph out? 4 Bathurst victories tells us he can drive. Multiple round winner. The fastest ever lap around Bathurst.

I mean you could have listed half the V8 Supercar field - Jnr Johnson, Steve Richards, Jason Richards, the list goes on.

Winning a championship, just like winning a grand final in any other sport requires all the stars to align and a hell of a lot of luck (as well as the hard work).
Old 12 Dec 2008, 09:59 (Ref:2353333)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The purpose of mentioning Mr Murphy is that some teams select drivers on the basis of other experience beyond championship wins.

From a PR perspective, to claim a driver as a former Bathurst winner, or 2006 Fujitsu series champion brings some credibility to that choice.

Mr S.Richards actually won the national Formula Ford series didnt he?
Old 12 Dec 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2353335)   #12
MattV
Racer

Australia
Sydney
MattV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
apologies - missed the point of the earlier message.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 05:36 (Ref:2360027)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So... since Mr Owen has won the 2008 development series.. where might we see him end up in the future?

The chat around the Tasman seat was real, but unless Mr Murphy is retiring, there appears not to be an opening there

We are in the wrong end of the season to be talking about next year... where will he end up?
Old 23 Dec 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2360101)   #14
JustASupporter
Racer

JustASupporter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Morris Motorsport
Old 23 Dec 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2360133)   #15
ASH_03
Rookie

Australia
Out Bush
ASH_03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Like everyone you are entitled to your opinion, but why single Murph out? 4 Bathurst victories tells us he can drive. Multiple round winner. The fastest ever lap around Bathurst.
Murphy is a 2 Track Wonder!

And as far as a drive in the main game, if v8 supercars wants to make the fujitsu series a decent option in the main game... then the winner automatically gets a drive in a v8 supercars australia funded car as a reward for winning the championship, that way that lets the v8 teams see what you can do in the main game...
Old 23 Dec 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2360442)   #16
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
now there's a thought!! surely the black wiggle and his cohorts could afford that?
Old 24 Dec 2008, 02:22 (Ref:2360548)   #17
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444
now there's a thought!! surely the black wiggle and his cohorts could afford that?
Nah he always wants someone else to pay for it.

Hang surely there would be a government grant of some sort available.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 10:39 (Ref:2360689)   #18
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Is a Dev. Series championship worth anything in the Main Game"

I think it is. I am aware of a successful driver being offered a ride in the Main Game Endurance series with a top teams provided he competed in the Development series to get some milage.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2360770)   #19
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak
"Is a Dev. Series championship worth anything in the Main Game"

I think it is. I am aware of a successful driver being offered a ride in the Main Game Endurance series with a top teams provided he competed in the Development series to get some milage.
So, spend a million, and we'll let you drive in two races.....
Old 24 Dec 2008, 15:28 (Ref:2360806)   #20
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspence
So, spend a million, and we'll let you drive in two races.....
Thats what theyall have to do! None are there on Talent alone..
Old 10 Apr 2009, 03:08 (Ref:2437837)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

... with thanks to prickly_goo
Old 10 Apr 2009, 03:24 (Ref:2437840)   #22
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would that invoke: just a local yellow; Full Course Yellow + Safety Car; or a Red Flag ??
Old 10 Apr 2009, 05:20 (Ref:2437858)   #23
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza027 View Post
Look at the results of past winners, only one has really stood out and thats frosty. PD hasnt done much, A Jones didnt do much, Perkins jnr hasnt done much (dont think he won the Jnr V8's) it seems that its the cars they were driving that got them to the title, but when you add a bit of competition from equally good cars and drivers who are just that much better in the main series, they dont seem to be able to cope.
The entire focus of the championship is wrong as a driver development series. The pointscore, a copy of the main games, rewards consistency over speed. The pro teams can turn a fast driver into a consistently fast driver. A consistent driver that isn't fast is essentially irredeemable.

But the Fujitsu Series does not exist as a driver development series, so perhaps its the thread that misses the point.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 06:25 (Ref:2437864)   #24
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ey? Look at someone like Assailit, despite some what stepping up in machinery, he has definitely improved out of sight compared to when he started in the class.

Ok, all of the people who have stepped out of Fujitsu to the main game in recent times have brought considerable coinage with them, but the fact that they have been peddling around in V8 Supercars all year long puts them in much better stead than if they had been running around in Utes, FFord, F3, Commodore Cup, prior to the level one money transfer....
Old 10 Apr 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2438042)   #25
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it would be more useful if a sponsor could go and spend a small amount and get a good return (a winning car there should be more visible than a tail end main game car), instead they can do just as well sponsoring some other cheaper support class which seems to be what the VESA promotion structure allows for.

Improved promotion, live TV coverage, no driver restrictions on Level One or previous champions, could do wonders, hopefully. The teams in there are obviously quality, so getting more young gun/seasoned enduro drivers in there, and getting the general field numbers back up perhaps by allowing the older cars back in & cutting costs should be a VESA priority hopefully.

Wouldn't it be good if each shared meeting, featured a Fujitsu race as the opener (not at 8am though!) followed by the main game event on the Saturday and Sunday, both telecast on live television with each having a podium presentation?