Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Jan 2009, 15:28 (Ref:2366423)   #1
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nzv8 championship

Is it just me or does more need to be done to promote the championship and also get better tv time instead of the 2 or 3 weeks later that we got last summer. The championship is awesome the racing has far more action than the aussie v8s so why doesnt it get much publicity?
Old 6 Jan 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2366633)   #2
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic.v814
Is it just me or does more need to be done to promote the championship and also get better tv time instead of the 2 or 3 weeks later that we got last summer. The championship is awesome the racing has far more action than the aussie v8s so why doesnt it get much publicity?

I have been asking the same question, it also appears that crowd numbers are down. I attended round 1 at Taupo and the number of crew members out numbered the crowd. Maybe it is the cost to get in? Most of the support classes had bugger all cars ? the V8 racing was good, as always, but something is just not working.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 06:12 (Ref:2366805)   #3
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does the Summer series actually have any entertainment value left??
Old 7 Jan 2009, 15:08 (Ref:2367077)   #4
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
The v8s are entertainment but i think they need more off track stuff as well
Old 7 Jan 2009, 18:52 (Ref:2367209)   #5
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The v8s are entertainment but i think they need more off track stuff as well
What would you suggest as suitable off track entertainment / promotion / stuff?
Old 7 Jan 2009, 20:28 (Ref:2367262)   #6
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate the series that try to provide stuff on track that wastes time that could be used for racing.

I would like to see some show and shine type events to bring along the boy racers that is one market area that needs to be tapped by racing promoters.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2367264)   #7
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well why don't MSNZ get involved with the dift serie and add them to the bill as well instead of the mini clas as they only had about 15 cars at the ruapuna round.

It makes sense to draw on the what the crowd they pull and the young people will follow the difting anywhere...... But MSNZ are only after the $$$
Old 7 Jan 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2367292)   #8
flyingduck
Veteran

I'm not to sure you wouldn want to bring them on the card but as Lunch time fun they could be OK. This is the market that needs to be brought to the track.
Old 8 Jan 2009, 15:27 (Ref:2367686)   #9
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man
What would you suggest as suitable off track entertainment / promotion / stuff?
Beer festival at every round . Kids entertainment . Show cars- American and aussie only no jap crap
Old 8 Jan 2009, 23:34 (Ref:2367981)   #10
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n
Well why don't MSNZ get involved with the dift serie and add them to the bill as well instead of the mini clas as they only had about 15 cars at the ruapuna round.

It makes sense to draw on the what the crowd they pull and the young people will follow the difting anywhere...... But MSNZ are only after the $$$
15!!?? Thats almost three times the number of cars that started the last race at the Taupo NZV8 Round
Old 9 Jan 2009, 23:23 (Ref:2368610)   #11
smokin'joe
Veteran

MSNZ need to go to a decent SNZ Championship meeting to see how to draw a crowd and entertain them.

i took the wife and 9y-o son to the SNZ Superstock Champs last weekend, their first proper speedway meeting, and they are both more than keen to go back, unlike their attitude to MSNZ meetings.Entry cost was twice that of an MSNZ tier 1/2 meeting, but was well worth it.

NZ SUPERSTOCK CHAMPS:
10 hours qualifying/racing over 2 nights;
36 races;
next class warming up while previous winner does his victory lap;
mainly decent fields with passing;
decent programme with several pages of kids "to-do's";
"dry" venue means no drunken ******s yelling obscenities in earshot of kids;

MSNZ TIER 1 (Levels):
12 hours qualifying/racing over 2 days;
21 races;
large gaps built in to schedule for track repairs/ vehicle recovery;
mainly small fields that are too scared to pass as the penalties are too high for 'aggressive' driving;

Drifting was tried here a few years back, but is one of the most boring forms of motorsport created, but: if there was half a dozen drift cars cars ready to scramble to put in a show between races, on parts of the track not affected by repairs/ vehicle recovery i think it would be a hit, likewise having some stunt riders/drivers present to fill in some gaps;
get rid of the "parade" laps/ laps of honour;
deduct points from drivers that don't attend PR events off track. wife and son dissapointed in the waste of time and effort for the few vehicles/drivers that bothered to do the parade through town and attend signing session.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 00:42 (Ref:2368656)   #12
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's called "This is what being the second most popular V8 Touring Car Category in NZ looks like".

The root question is what's the difference between V8 Supercars and NZV8's?
For the punters, probably not a lot. With the exception of V8 Supercars having the profile, the coverage, the PR and the stars.... So why would you go to a NZV8 meeting?

It doesn't matter how 'good' the racing is, it doesn't matter if they serve booze (I would suspect the V8 Supercars get a few more people at Hamilton that ANY SNZ event ever), it doesn't matter what entertainment you put on between races (it's getting punters in the gates.. not keeping them that's the problem.)....

The solution is finding something that's different to V8 Supercars, that's sexier to average joe punter than V8 Supercars and doing that.... until then, MSNZ will continue to see hundreds of people wearing HRT and 888 shirts and wonder why none of them are coming to see NZV8's...

The good news is that the NZRFU are in exactly the same boat... why won't people go watch provincial rugby??? Because regardless of how good or bad the rugby actually is, the perception is that it's not "the big show".

Last edited by Chappelli; 10 Jan 2009 at 00:49.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 00:53 (Ref:2368659)   #13
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomike
15!!?? Thats almost three times the number of cars that started the last race at the Taupo NZV8 Round
So I'm guessing there's no minimum numbers contractual obligation for the promoters of the Mini series??
Old 10 Jan 2009, 04:12 (Ref:2368695)   #14
Dasher
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Dasher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli
It's called "This is what being the second most popular V8 Touring Car Category in NZ looks like".

The root question is what's the difference between V8 Supercars and NZV8's?
For the punters, probably not a lot. With the exception of V8 Supercars having the profile, the coverage, the PR and the stars.... So why would you go to a NZV8 meeting?

It doesn't matter how 'good' the racing is, it doesn't matter if they serve booze (I would suspect the V8 Supercars get a few more people at Hamilton that ANY SNZ event ever), it doesn't matter what entertainment you put on between races (it's getting punters in the gates.. not keeping them that's the problem.)....

The solution is finding something that's different to V8 Supercars, that's sexier to average joe punter than V8 Supercars and doing that.... until then, MSNZ will continue to see hundreds of people wearing HRT and 888 shirts and wonder why none of them are coming to see NZV8's...

The good news is that the NZRFU are in exactly the same boat... why won't people go watch provincial rugby??? Because regardless of how good or bad the rugby actually is, the perception is that it's not "the big show".
Wasn't this class originally based on the former big New Zealand Commodore Cup series (now defunct i believe) that ran over there for a while, but it now includes later models & the Fords?

After having a look at the tech regs for this category it seems very closely written to the old Commodore Cup regs with controlled parts, carbies etc.etc., it may be that they tried too hard to make them like V8's and in the process killed a very popular class?

Last edited by Dasher; 10 Jan 2009 at 04:16.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 05:59 (Ref:2368709)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One limitation NZ is always going to have for a while is population. For 4 million people there are a finite number of fans and sponsor dollars you are going to be able to suck out of it. Having seen NZV8's in person I think they do a fine job with the limitations they have. I think the actual racing is better from a spectator point of view than V8 Supercars. The cars are slower than a Supercar but the racing is much tighter. Personally I can't wait to drive one someday. For New Zealand, I think it is a good class considering the money available and the track size. And there does seem to be people involved that try to find ways of keeping costs in check.

All the support series are very good, all things considered, and the track remains hot for much of the day.

Being a student of international motorsport, my theory is that racing series are successful due to drivers not cars. In other words what brings people to the track is heroes and personalities. And it is the same with any sport. It's like watching the Olympics. If all they ever showed on tv was the events, you'd be bored. What is interesting is the personal stories about how people struggled, overcame obstacles, etc. etc. Gets you involved in watching and cheering on someone. Think about Dick Johnson. He was a run of the mill mid packer or worse most people never paid much attention to. Bathurst 1980 running a car he had sunk every penny in to, hits a rock, tears on tv, got people personally involved.

If NZV8's wants to be "bigger" then you have to have your villains and heroes. Fans have to know and care about the drivers. Until then you'll just attract the narrow segment of motor racing fans and you wont get the general public there.

Motorsport NZ. IMO FIA national clubs such as MNZ and CAMS need to stick with licensing, safety, track issues, marshaling, technical issues, etc. and leave the running of professional series to themselves. I don't believe a non profit club needs to be involved in management of race series and also I don't like so much power concentrated in the hands of one body. Let the market decide what series are popular or not.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 06:32 (Ref:2368714)   #16
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Results for NZV8 Championship, Race 1 Timaru.

BNT V8s Championship
Race 1 of 3, Round 4, Timaru
Position, Driver, Hometown, Car, Points earned
1, Kayne Scott, Hamilton, Ford Falcon, 75
2, Angus Fogg, Auckland, Ford Falcon, 67
3, John McIntyre, Nelson, Ford Falcon, 60
4, Craig Baird, Gold Coast, Ford Falcon, 54
5, Tim Edgell, Auckland, Ford Falcon, 49
6, Andrew Anderson, Auckland, Holden Commodore, 45
7, Andy Booth, Auckland, Holden Commodore, 42
8, Eddie Bell, Christchurch, Ford Falcon, 39
9, Dale Williams, Auckland, Ford Falcon, 36
10, Adam Brook, Christchurch, Ford Falcon, 33
11, Michael Bristow, Pukekohe, Ford Falcon, 30
12, Andy Knight, Christchurch, Ford Falcon, 28
13, John Penny, Taupo, Holden Commodore, 26
14, Paul Manuell, Auckland, Holden Commodore, 24
15, Inky Tulloch, Gore, Ford Falcon, 22
16, Mack Peach, Bombay, Ford Falcon, 20
17, Luke Youlden, Melbourne, Ford Falcon, 18
18, John Hepburn, Timaru, Holden Commodore, 16
19, Alan McCarrison, Auckland, Ford Falcon, 14
20, Nick Ross, Cambridge, Holden Commodore, 12
21, Simon Richards, Hamilton, Ford Falcon, 10
22, David Hopper, Auckland, Holden Commodore, 9
23, Paul Pedersen, Rotorua, Ford Falcon, 8
DNF, Andrew, Porter, Auckland, Ford Falcon, 0
DNF, Chris, Adams, Mosgiel, Holden Commodore, 0

Luke Youlden [the only Aussie in the field] replaced Andy Night at Autotek, however gearbox problems robbed him of qualifying better, which means his best chance to redeem himself now lies in the reverse grid race tomorrow.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 06:38 (Ref:2368716)   #17
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli
if the promotor struggles to make the event exciting, the punters will either not come, and if they do and are not satisfied with thier experience, they won't be back.
if there is nothing to keep the kids entertained, they won't be back either, and thus another generation of spectators/competitors/marshalls etc are lost to another pastime.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 07:47 (Ref:2368728)   #18
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
I think personally they just need better advertising and promotion so people know there is a race on its as simple as that to me.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 23:35 (Ref:2369099)   #19
JackBlahBlah
Racer

Australia
Victoria,Australia
JackBlahBlah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pukekohe V8 Pileup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EM712rZiAY
Old 11 Jan 2009, 00:43 (Ref:2369131)   #20
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch
Results for NZV8 Championship, Race 1 Timaru.

BNT V8s Championship
Race 1 of 3, Round 4, Timaru
Position, Driver, Hometown, Car, Points earned
1, Kayne Scott, Hamilton, Ford Falcon, 75
2, Angus Fogg, Auckland, Ford Falcon, 67
3, John McIntyre, Nelson, Ford Falcon, 60
4, Craig Baird, Gold Coast, Ford Falcon, 54
5, Tim Edgell, Auckland, Ford Falcon, 49
6, Andrew Anderson, Auckland, Holden Commodore, 45
7, Andy Booth, Auckland, Holden Commodore, 42
8, Eddie Bell, Christchurch, Ford Falcon, 39
9, Dale Williams, Auckland, Ford Falcon, 36
10, Adam Brook, Christchurch, Ford Falcon, 33
11, Michael Bristow, Pukekohe, Ford Falcon, 30
12, Andy Knight, Christchurch, Ford Falcon, 28
13, John Penny, Taupo, Holden Commodore, 26
14, Paul Manuell, Auckland, Holden Commodore, 24
15, Inky Tulloch, Gore, Ford Falcon, 22
16, Mack Peach, Bombay, Ford Falcon, 20
17, Luke Youlden, Melbourne, Ford Falcon, 18
18, John Hepburn, Timaru, Holden Commodore, 16
19, Alan McCarrison, Auckland, Ford Falcon, 14
20, Nick Ross, Cambridge, Holden Commodore, 12
21, Simon Richards, Hamilton, Ford Falcon, 10
22, David Hopper, Auckland, Holden Commodore, 9
23, Paul Pedersen, Rotorua, Ford Falcon, 8
DNF, Andrew, Porter, Auckland, Ford Falcon, 0
DNF, Chris, Adams, Mosgiel, Holden Commodore, 0

Luke Youlden [the only Aussie in the field] replaced Andy Night at Autotek, however gearbox problems robbed him of qualifying better, which means his best chance to redeem himself now lies in the reverse grid race tomorrow.
Is timaru a ford track ? I thought the holdens were more competitive this year
Old 11 Jan 2009, 06:12 (Ref:2369181)   #21
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is timaru a ford track ? I thought the holdens were more competitive this year
In answer to your question, no, Timaru [Levels Raceway] the lap record was set by Kayne Scott 3 seasons ago in a Holden and was only beaten this weekend by Angus Fogg. Last year Andy Booth won Race 2 after catching and passing John McIntyre.

The weekend was one by Kayne Scott, 2 scratch race wins, and 9th in the reverse grid race, proved more than enough to extend his Championship lead over John McIntyre.

Youlden had a shocking weekend, which saw him start from pole for the reverse grid race. Luke started on 4 brand new "Stickers" tyres, and ran away to win comfortably, however both Baird, Fogg, and Edgell were running faster lap times but unable to run Youlden down a long safety car period did not help McIntyre or Scott get through the middle order and finished 8th and 9th respectively.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2370196)   #22
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think personally they just need better advertising and promotion so people know there is a race on its as simple as that to me.
Not a truer word has been spoken...... To get people you do have to advertise but to keep people you need to make sure they are entertained and not have long drawn out spaces....

You have to look at indy or any V8 supecar meeting where there is something going on all the time...
Old 12 Jan 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2370229)   #23
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
And you look at V8 Supercars and they have 1000 times more threads than NZV8's... quite simple, NZV8's is to V8 Supercars what provincial rugby is to Super 14.... and the number 2 always gets the dregs....
Old 12 Jan 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2370241)   #24
flyingduck
Veteran

Good to see Mr Edgell moving up the field after the massive crash at Pukekohe, Motorsport gets the rating on TV for the NZV8's so now just need to get the punters to the tracks. I think we need a radio network and TV network to promote the racing at that level which will slowly move people from the couch to the track.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 04:39 (Ref:2370358)   #25
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
The sad par is that they only bits from the weekend that made it to TV3 news was a piece on a pommie driver in the Toyota Class and a crash in the V8 race. No results, nothing, nadda, zip.