Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2428901)   #1
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race 2 grid order rule set to change? Or not?

Anyone know what’s going to happen with the starting order format? May it change mid-season?

After the initial flack from all and sundry, it was interesting to read a rather positive piece on it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition
“...the Clipsal 500 would have been a real fizzer if not for the new system...”
Personally, I’m still not sold one way or the other... as long as the racing’s good I really don’t mind where people start.

What does everyone else think?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 14:50 (Ref:2429048)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
change it ASAP, hate it.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2429263)   #3
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Depends on the format.

Three sprint races? I reckon it's dumb. It takes 3 races to fight back from a dodgy qualifying run.

Twin enduros like the Clipsal? Bring it on...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 31 Mar 2009, 01:09 (Ref:2429470)   #4
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't care one way or the other really but I do think the drivers and team owners were as dumb as dirt for not saying anything about the new rule when it was first published in December (?) and yet starting whining and bellyaching about it in Adelaide three months later.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 01:52 (Ref:2429481)   #5
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I understand the original proposal was for a qualifying session on Saturday morning for the Saturday race and another qualifying session on Sunday morning for the Sunday race.When the team owners objected to this on cost grounds (pretty hypocritical as they embrace increasing numbers of street races with the associated massive damage bills) the current system was accepted as a compromise.Like all compromises the gaps in logic in the system are apparent.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 02:32 (Ref:2429488)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Twin enduros like the Clipsal? Bring it on...
makes it abit silly calling it the Clipsal 500 though, if part one doesn't carry over in anyway to part two (though this has always been a curious problem at Adelaide if its one race or two)
Old 31 Mar 2009, 03:29 (Ref:2429496)   #7
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The POLITICS behind this are simple.
For the STRONG teams who on average qualify well, it's an insurance policy to minimise dropping points off the championship leader, by being guaranteed a good R2 start position.

For the WEAK teams, it is a nail in the coffin of teams who previously relied on a lucky R1 race result to start R2 from the front half.

The final result can be nothing less than a greater divide between the well-off and the no-so's.

The new 2009 qual rule is nothing more than another attempt to artificially keep the championship close.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 05:05 (Ref:2429509)   #8
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
The POLITICS behind this are simple.
For the STRONG teams who on average qualify well, it's an insurance policy to minimise dropping points off the championship leader, by being guaranteed a good R2 start position.

For the WEAK teams, it is a nail in the coffin of teams who previously relied on a lucky R1 race result to start R2 from the front half.

The final result can be nothing less than a greater divide between the well-off and the no-so's.
But then, of course, also manages to catch out the STRONG teams who have an off day..
Old 31 Mar 2009, 05:49 (Ref:2429512)   #9
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the races that capture most viewer/spectator attention...yet VESA have instigated a system where Qualifying is now the most important part of the weekend.

Qualifying now plays a disproportionate role in the weekend and the championship. I think if you look at the years TV schedule, you'll find VERY LITTLE live qualifying coverage, yet it is going to determine the championship if this system continues...it is not balanced. A cynic may conclude that this rule change is more about creating discussion and publicity, than being a solution that benefits the sport as a whole.

In Euro FIA formula's, when Qualifying determines a R2 grid, that race has it's own qualifying (ie: two separate and independent qualifying sessions). This in itself is cumbersome.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2429558)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
davestar i think you might wont to reconsider your post in light of most if not all of qualifying been shown as well as a the top ten shoot out

me i think qualifying is wrong totally, what a stupid way to determine grid positions
Old 31 Mar 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2429601)   #11
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
me i think qualifying is wrong totally, what a stupid way to determine grid positions
If you have an idea of a better system then I'm certain many others would like to hear it
Old 31 Mar 2009, 09:24 (Ref:2429607)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
its really simple. give everyone a chance ito start in each position. so in theory over time each person should start in positions 1 thru 30

(or just do it totally randomly)
Old 31 Mar 2009, 09:29 (Ref:2429614)   #13
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
chook raffle.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2429619)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
well i think you would call it grid raffle.
in a chhok raffle the winner gets a chook, but unless steggals or KFC come on board i cants ee that happening
Old 31 Mar 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2429621)   #15
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
But then, of course, also manages to catch out the STRONG teams who have an off day..
how often does that happen?

I hate the new system it should of been the same as last year - sooner they change it the better!
Old 31 Mar 2009, 09:36 (Ref:2429623)   #16
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure. The teams will go for that...So we turn up saturday go home sunday and an event becomes 2 days?
Old 31 Mar 2009, 09:43 (Ref:2429628)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
we still practise, except we concentrate on race set ups in practise

We get a much more interesting race as passing occurs and we test the drivers more because we get to see who can carve through the field and who can handly midpack on the first corner and sponsors get more exposure

I see no negatives except we have to get rid of an old fuddy duddy idea that achieves very little

is a two day event such a bad idea. V8SA were already considering it for this year

certaibly the crowds are small on friday.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 02:32 (Ref:2430233)   #18
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate it.

I think they've tried to change too much of what was already a decent formula. Go back to the old system of qualifying and introduce the soft tyre option asap, that'll introduce a bit more strategy into the racing and provide for some overtaking.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 03:23 (Ref:2430252)   #19
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This weeks AA reports the the Qualy format is set to change effective from Hamilton with Qualy for Sat and Qualy for Sun. Then again i just recalled it is april 1 so it could be a joke. If so poor taste from AA on such an important issue.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 04:09 (Ref:2430271)   #20
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
if it isn't a fools joke i don't mind it, i reckon a 20 min dash Sunday morning would be a thrill.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2434832)   #21
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/conten...fying_changes/

common sence preveils. they have gone with the system i said i wouldn't mind in the above poste. i deally i would like it to be where you finish Saturday you start Sunday but i don't mind this. it allows teams to get their car right on Saturday and do a better job of qualifying on sunday.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 09:29 (Ref:2434909)   #22
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/conten...fying_changes/

common sence preveils. they have gone with the system i said i wouldn't mind in the above poste. i deally i would like it to be where you finish Saturday you start Sunday but i don't mind this. it allows teams to get their car right on Saturday and do a better job of qualifying on sunday.
I like it

its not perfect but its a damm sight better than the new format
Old 6 Apr 2009, 22:17 (Ref:2435526)   #23
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That really dilutes the Top 10 Shootout, though, doesn't it?

Whats the point of having a shootout for one race and not the other? I think this makes less sense than the previous format.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 23:16 (Ref:2435546)   #24
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It only makes a slight improvement on the clipsal qualifying format... but not much. It does mean that teams who stuff up in qualifying 1 can at least rectify that stuff up for qualifying 2. They might have more data in the car obtained from race one. But is the 20 minutes going to be a free for all?

What are they trying to fix with qualifiying? I wasn't aware that there was anything majorly wrong with it.

I noticed with that release that they talk about the soft tyre option. I kind of like this, however it would be a shame for it to be just part of the procession - as in F1. You will find that all teams will now start with the soft tyre for better get away, then they change to the optimum tyre for the rest of the race when the track is more rubbered in.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 00:08 (Ref:2435576)   #25
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
It only makes a slight improvement on the clipsal qualifying format... but not much. It does mean that teams who stuff up in qualifying 1 can at least rectify that stuff up for qualifying 2. They might have more data in the car obtained from race one. But is the 20 minutes going to be a free for all?

What are they trying to fix with qualifiying? I wasn't aware that there was anything majorly wrong with it.

I noticed with that release that they talk about the soft tyre option. I kind of like this, however it would be a shame for it to be just part of the procession - as in F1. You will find that all teams will now start with the soft tyre for better get away, then they change to the optimum tyre for the rest of the race when the track is more rubbered in.
Other than it was a complete farce ??
Gridding up in race 2 back in the original qualifying places IMHO was a joke.

Im happy with the change but dont understand why they just dont start from R1 finshing positions.