Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Dec 2015, 02:47 (Ref:3599345)   #51
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Sockpuppet? Don't know what your talking about... But if Joe Blogg posts something using account 1, then logs into account 2 and posts something else, that's actually not one person, but rather two. In turn, this means if someone reads post 1, then post 2, thats actually 2 separate people, not one as you might imagine. As you can appreciate, this rising in traffic is music to the ears of Ten Tenths advertisers.
However if account 1 is a disclosed member of the ARDC and member 2 doesnt disclose that, Then Sockpuppet is about right
Old 22 Dec 2015, 04:06 (Ref:3599352)   #52
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
There is a reason ch 7 didnt count that way, because they didnt show those things. However they did count based on different channels, (7 and Mate) something oztam doesnt cope with but V8 supercars combined the counting

However v8 supercars have always counted total(or cumulative) audience, not just race audience, but in the past they havent had to count a split between two media companies so of course they have to modify the method, The numbers are the numbers though
I dont believe it counts Inside supercars or RPM in these numbers, that's just somethings the doomsdayers like to through in to mislead

Why does it seem low?
Peter McKay seems to think that V8SC's are counting a few extra programs.

ANY way you look at it or play with numbers, the television figures from Queensland Raceway (August 1-2) were nothing short of disastrous, with serious implications for those teams attempting to renew or hook sponsorship deals for next season and beyond.
The size of the problem comes into worrying focus when comparing this year’s live telecast figures on Foxtel with those on Seven a year ago.
Applying the five city metro measure, Foxtel had a mere 43,035 viewers of the live coverage. The delayed highlights package on free-to-air Ten and One were watched by 93,211 people across both days.
At the corresponding round in 2014, Seven’s live free-to-air coverage attracted 209,596 viewers overall.
Overall live coverage of the event was therefore down 79 percent across the vital metro markets. Losses were consistent across the two days (Saturday down 80 percent; Sunday down 79 percent).
Worryingly, Sydney was the worst-performing market, plummeting 92 percent overall and 96 percent on Sunday alone. Little more than 3000 Sydneysiders watched Sunday’s live Foxtel telecast.
V8 Supercars has tried to pump up its television ratings by lumping together the Foxtel average with the packaged highlights on Ten/One, plus repeats and ‘other media’, counting apples and oranges and plums to come up with a positive spin.
Old 22 Dec 2015, 04:11 (Ref:3599353)   #53
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Applying the five city metro measure, Foxtel had a mere 43,035 viewers of the live coverage. The delayed highlights package on free-to-air Ten and One were watched by 93,211 people across both days.
At the corresponding round in 2014, Seven’s live free-to-air coverage attracted 209,596 viewers overall. Overall live coverage of the event was therefore down 79 percent across the vital metro markets. Losses were consistent across the two days (Saturday down 80 percent; Sunday down 79 percent).
I'm struggling to work out how 209,596 to 136,246 is a 79% drop.

Must be "new math". Even 43,035 from 209,596 is still only a 75% drop?
Old 22 Dec 2015, 04:17 (Ref:3599355)   #54
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And from Auto action,

Supplementary programming including Inside Supercars, Supercars Life, RPM and replays added 135,000 viewers to the cumulative figures.
Old 22 Dec 2015, 04:20 (Ref:3599356)   #55
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Peter McKay seems to think that V8SC's are counting a few extra programs.

ANY way you look at it or play with numbers, the television figures from Queensland Raceway (August 1-2) were nothing short of disastrous, with serious implications for those teams attempting to renew or hook sponsorship deals for next season and beyond.
The size of the problem comes into worrying focus when comparing this year’s live telecast figures on Foxtel with those on Seven a year ago.
At the corresponding round in 2014, Seven’s live free-to-air coverage attracted 209,596 viewers overall.
Overall live coverage of the event was therefore down 79 percent across the vital metro markets. Losses were consistent across the two days (Saturday down 80 percent; Sunday down 79 percent).
Worryingly, Sydney was the worst-performing market, plummeting 92 percent overall and 96 percent on Sunday alone. Little more than 3000 Sydneysiders watched Sunday’s live Foxtel telecast.
V8 Supercars has tried to pump up its television ratings by lumping together the Foxtel average with the packaged highlights on Ten/One, plus repeats and ‘other media’, counting apples and oranges and plums to come up with a positive spin.
Sorry tuned out when you mentioned the washed up anti-v8 dinosaur, quote someone more reputable like james phelps

so whats the numbers for qualifying and practise that event?

V8 are counting the same things year on year. The audience who watched v8 supercars. You have quoted partial numbers for part of an event, cherry picking a single event to make a conclusion
Old 22 Dec 2015, 04:26 (Ref:3599357)   #56
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Sorry tuned out when you mentioned the washed up anti-v8 dinosaur, quote someone more reputable like james phelps

so whats the numbers for qualifying and practise that event?

V8 are counting the same things year on year. The audience who watched v8 supercars. You have quoted partial numbers, cherry picking a single event to make a conclusion
My post is for the purpose of it being known what they include to get their numbers. I couldn't care less if the numbers are up or down.
Old 22 Dec 2015, 04:42 (Ref:3599360)   #57
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
My post is for the purpose of it being known what they include to get their numbers. I couldn't care less if the numbers are up or down.
yet, you post doesnt mention practise or qualyfying, which are included and try to link some auto fiction article which is at best vague. To me they show that the magazine shows are not included
Old 22 Dec 2015, 04:58 (Ref:3599363)   #58
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Yes peckstar, no peckstar. PS, I'm still trying to get up off the floor after your Phelps comment.

Last edited by Reload; 22 Dec 2015 at 05:05.
Old 22 Dec 2015, 05:01 (Ref:3599364)   #59
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
PS, I'm still trying to get up off the floor after your Phelps comment.
Mackay is exactly as biased as Phelps, just from a diametrically opposed perspective. They both have an axe to grind, which is something a journalist should never allow themselves to do.
Old 22 Dec 2015, 05:14 (Ref:3599365)   #60
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Mackay is exactly as biased as Phelps, just from a diametrically opposed perspective. They both have an axe to grind, which is something a journalist should never allow themselves to do.
Do either of them really have an axe to grind?

Most of Mackay's anti-V8 stuff referenced on this forum came from his old "Inside Line" column in the Sun-Herald, which was his own opinion column. He's been around long enough to form his own opinions and hasn't been afraid to express them...wasn't that the point of his coloum?

Phelps also is just fulfilling his assignment that the Telegraph gives him, report on V8Supercars. Writing mainly glowing & positive stories about the series means the series will be happy with him, and therefore so will his employer, so its in his interests to toe the V8Supercar line.
Old 23 Dec 2015, 05:37 (Ref:3599593)   #61
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Writing mainly glowing & positive stories about the series means the series will be happy with him, and therefore so will his employer, so its in his interests to toe the V8Supercar line.
Its this kind of substance that makes Mr Phelps winning the V8 Media Award quite laughable at best. I dont think it says to much about the 'journalist' nor V8SC as an organisation.

If the limp interest in the Archer ownership sale continues - could Foxtel become a potential owner? Would be much much cheaper than paying the large amounts it currently does to televise the series and save itself some coin?
Old 23 Dec 2015, 06:43 (Ref:3599597)   #62
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Do you own a car, I'll give you $50 for it.

Does that mean your car is now valued at $50 and you've been sold a pup?
in either case Its only really worth what someone is willing to pay for it regardless of what valuation says. At the moment that seems to be a lot less than the 165 mil....
Old 23 Dec 2015, 22:15 (Ref:3599756)   #63
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Here we go again...
yep
Old 23 Dec 2015, 23:01 (Ref:3599768)   #64
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This all reminds me of an accounting joke.

The boss walks in to the office and asks his production manager "what is 2 +2?" Production manager replies "things have been a bit quiet lately, orders are down, I'd say 3.6" Boss thanks him and walks off.

Boss goes to the sales manager and asks the same question "what is 2 + 2?" Sales manager replies "I've got new clients coming online, markets are improving, I wouldn't go less than 4.4! " Boss thanks him and walks off.

Boss goes to the accountant's office and asks " what is 2 + 2? " Accountant looks up the hallway, looks down, see now one around and replies " what do you want it too be?"

Figures don't lie, but liars can figure.
Old 24 Dec 2015, 00:10 (Ref:3599782)   #65
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
in either case Its only really worth what someone is willing to pay for it regardless of what valuation says. At the moment that seems to be a lot less than the 165 mil....
Really comes down to whether it is on the market or not.
Old 24 Dec 2015, 00:35 (Ref:3599789)   #66
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Really comes down to whether it is on the market or not.
Assets owned by limited-life private equity funds are always for sale, as at some point the fund needs to cash out & return funds to shareholders
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Dec 2015, 01:00 (Ref:3599792)   #67
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Do either of them really have an axe to grind?

Most of Mackay's anti-V8 stuff referenced on this forum came from his old "Inside Line" column in the Sun-Herald, which was his own opinion column. He's been around long enough to form his own opinions and hasn't been afraid to express them...wasn't that the point of his coloum?
McKay never came to terms with the fact that the 2 litre series that he believed was the way forward, never held a candle to the 5 litre series in spectator or viewer numbers and withered away while the latter went from strength to strength. Yes there have been some polarising personalities in the V8 Supercar fraternity who it was very easy to take a dislike to, but the sport thanks in part to their work has been dragged into the professional era, yet some seem unable / refuse to accept it and want to maintain the rage over a battle that was run and won over 15 years ago.
Old 24 Dec 2015, 01:29 (Ref:3599799)   #68
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Assets owned by limited-life private equity funds are always for sale, as at some point the fund needs to cash out & return funds to shareholders
Being 'on the market' means the bidding has reached a point, above reserve, where the property will be sold. Clearly Archer are not at that point yet so I'd be very surprised if they rose to a lowball offer.
Old 24 Dec 2015, 01:50 (Ref:3599804)   #69
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Being 'on the market' means the bidding has reached a point, above reserve, where the property will be sold. Clearly Archer are not at that point yet so I'd be very surprised if they rose to a lowball offer.
You just never know what the carrying value of the Archer stake is inside the fund. Given they have had some outstanding wins in value creation in other assets within some of the other pools, perhaps they contra the profits against the identified risks..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 30 Dec 2015, 00:22 (Ref:3600787)   #70
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Depends what you consider to be a lowball offer?
Old 30 Dec 2015, 02:05 (Ref:3600814)   #71
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lotus F1 took an offer of 1 pound from Renault for the complete sale of their team.

I'd have haggled for 2 pounds...
Old 30 Dec 2015, 02:07 (Ref:3600817)   #72
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Lotus F1 took an offer of 1 pound from Renault for the complete sale of their team.

I'd have haggled for 2 pounds...
Yeah they are also paying out €100m of debts....
Old 5 Jan 2016, 06:23 (Ref:3602169)   #73
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
McKay never came to terms with the fact that the 2 litre series that he believed was the way forward, never held a candle to the 5 litre series in spectator or viewer numbers and withered away while the latter went from strength to strength. Yes there have been some polarising personalities in the V8 Supercar fraternity who it was very easy to take a dislike to, but the sport thanks in part to their work has been dragged into the professional era, yet some seem unable / refuse to accept it and want to maintain the rage over a battle that was run and won over 15 years ago.
To be fair to Peter McKay, he was just as hard on Super Touring as he was on V8Supercars, i recall his Sun-Herald column's the weekend after the 1998 AMP 1000 and 1999 Super Touring 500 at Bathurst being anything but positive about what was going on with those events.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 11:31 (Ref:3602207)   #74
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toca Aust., the ARDC, Ch7 and Alan Gow had all hoped the ST Bathursts would become the Super Touring World Cup. It was very undercooked. Even for a global tin-top catagory, ST had a short life-span in the more-prominent championships, and was beginning to wane even as the concept of a standalone 1000km ST race was put forward. With minimal interest from the local arms of the respective manufacturers to rely upon to get the heavy hitters over here, and October being such a crowded month for sport in general worldwide, they were on a hiding to nothing.

The 500km race in '99, was merely a contractual obligation
Old 5 Jan 2016, 21:23 (Ref:3602355)   #75
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Toca Aust., the ARDC, Ch7 and Alan Gow had all hoped the ST Bathursts would become the Super Touring World Cup. It was very undercooked. Even for a global tin-top catagory, ST had a short life-span in the more-prominent championships, and was beginning to wane even as the concept of a standalone 1000km ST race was put forward. With minimal interest from the local arms of the respective manufacturers to rely upon to get the heavy hitters over here, and October being such a crowded month for sport in general worldwide, they were on a hiding to nothing.

The 500km race in '99, was merely a contractual obligation
Which was a pity as both the'97 and '98 ST races were far more exciting than the V8 Supercar races ran during those years.

No doubt ST peaked quickly and spread like no other category before or since.

When it was announced that the Volvo wagon would race here it made all of the 6pm news services - but not in the sports section - but the serious news.

We even used to get the German Super Touring Series shown here on Channel Ten.

The world, for a short time at least, was Super Touring mad.