Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 May 2016, 05:35 (Ref:3642329)   #51
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
I'm sure you and I would agree the racing these days are better then they've ever been.
Depends on your definition of 'racing'

I don't think we do agree
Old 17 May 2016, 10:27 (Ref:3642368)   #52
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I don't know why there is so much criticism of SUPERCARS, note the lack of V8 in that. It is a good spectacle for those who are into that sort of thing but tends to be a little boring at times due to restrictive rules and regs and a bit follow the leader because of it. Things are about to change and let's hope the rules don't stifle that change too much but a Leopard does not change his spots so I guess they will follow the well worn recipe of preventing anything that looks like innovative thinking from happening. Restrictive regs have always resulted in huge amounts of folding being spent on minute changes for very little result and generally one team dominates when they perfect it. For all the faults of bygone classes most of them allowed some technical advances which made things interesting.

Well....for a bloke who didn't know why there was so much criticism of V8SC...sorry Supercars, I counted at least five complaints/criticisms.
Get your drift though.
Old 17 May 2016, 13:12 (Ref:3642393)   #53
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
This is a pointless, annoying argument.

Old guys will never like anything in the modern day, as it's not "true and pure" enough.

Me, I'd rather see close racing from a parity format than a car winning by 6 laps in a more wide open formula.
Old 17 May 2016, 19:37 (Ref:3642469)   #54
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Old guys will never like anything in the modern day, as it's not "true and pure" enough..................
Well... that's just a typical response from the younger generation.....
Imagine..... wanting to see something "true and pure", instead of a circus act. However, everyone is entitled to an opinion!
Old 17 May 2016, 22:14 (Ref:3642508)   #55
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A great race is a great race whatever's running. A mixed vehicle contest can be more fun as different cars are strong at different times, or it can be dull because one of them is superior. One make can be fun because they're all bunched up, or dull because no-one can overtake.

Older cars were more exciting to watch because they had less grip, less downforce and they move around, you can see the drivers working. On the other hand, modern cars are more exciting because the grip levels and braking performance is astonishing.

I don't really care as long as the racing is good. Consequently I'm not usually too keen on messing around with artificial ways to make it good, as they're usually not as good as the genuine article and are usually a fix for not getting the basics right in the first place.
Old 17 May 2016, 23:27 (Ref:3642519)   #56
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
A great race is a great race whatever's running. A mixed vehicle contest can be more fun as different cars are strong at different times, or it can be dull because one of them is superior. One make can be fun because they're all bunched up, or dull because no-one can overtake.

Older cars were more exciting to watch because they had less grip, less downforce and they move around, you can see the drivers working. On the other hand, modern cars are more exciting because the grip levels and braking performance is astonishing.

I don't really care as long as the racing is good. Consequently I'm not usually too keen on messing around with artificial ways to make it good, as they're usually not as good as the genuine article and are usually a fix for not getting the basics right in the first place.
Which is why the Supercars are fantastic.
Old 17 May 2016, 23:50 (Ref:3642522)   #57
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm sure you and I would agree the racing these days are better then they've ever been.
Define "better".
Old 17 May 2016, 23:52 (Ref:3642523)   #58
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post

Well said
Old 18 May 2016, 00:58 (Ref:3642528)   #59
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Well... that's just a typical response from the younger generation.....
Imagine..... wanting to see something "true and pure", instead of a circus act. However, everyone is entitled to an opinion!
Australian Motor racing has been a circus act since the 70's.
Old 18 May 2016, 01:57 (Ref:3642533)   #60
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the series is great. For such a small country to have a championship as professional as it is is quite a feat.
But being 100% honest I do wish we had cars with different strengths and weakness.

And for the series to put a little more back into the sport instead of bleed every cent they can.
Old 18 May 2016, 02:02 (Ref:3642535)   #61
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by velly4 View Post
I think the series is great. For such a small country to have a championship as professional as it is is quite a feat.
But being 100% honest I do wish we had cars with different strengths and weakness.

And for the series to put a little more back into the sport instead of bleed every cent they can.
There are somewhere around 600 people working full time in the Virgin series, plus the Dunlop series and others. These roles would largely not have been in place to that extent in the Group A era, or the Group C era, and indeed are not prevalent in the GT3 category either.

There is plenty being put back..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 May 2016, 02:47 (Ref:3642540)   #62
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

into the grass roots of Australian motorsport?
I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong, but that's not what I hear from many people
Old 18 May 2016, 02:50 (Ref:3642541)   #63
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Why would anything need to be put back into the grassroots community?

It's a business, you don't see other businesses "putting back" into the smaller ones.
Old 18 May 2016, 03:03 (Ref:3642542)   #64
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

It's a business, you don't see other businesses "putting back" into the smaller ones.
Hang on - there is a sport somewhere isn't there? V8SC talk about the 'sport' all the time but you are suggesting they are only referring to their business?

When V8SC promote 50 years of Bathurst or 40 years of the ATCC aren't they drawing off the history and previous work of the sport?

And you ask "why should they give back"

Where would V8SC be without Australian Motorsport or the "smaller businesses" are you so eloquently put it?

Not buying GTRs attempt at justification either - totally misses the point
Old 18 May 2016, 03:13 (Ref:3642543)   #65
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Old guys will never like anything in the modern day, as it's not "true and pure" enough.

Me, I'd rather see close racing from a parity format than a car winning by 6 laps in a more wide open formula.
Is 51 old? Just trying to work out if I should be indignant or not?

Now I could say something like "Why are most young people opinionated armholes? (auto correct - damn you modern technology)" but that would be rude and against forum rules so I will restrain myself.

I like good racing too, but don't particularly care if it comes from parity or a well regulated formula class of racing.

The labelling of categories as pure racing or artificial also makes me smile because almost everything about car racing is artificial. The cars, the circuit, the distance, etc. It's all a matter of degrees so taking tribal positions and drawing hard lines is the practice of fools. Just accept other people may have a different opinion and if it is not something you can embrace, put forward a reasoned argument to debate the subject or move on/start a new thread to debate subjects of interest.

For example I don’t care for drifting but I don’t create or hang in threads sniping at their sport.

As I said previously a CEO saying their company is the best is not unusual and everyone knows it’s just his opinion, not fact.
Old 18 May 2016, 04:03 (Ref:3642549)   #66
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Hang on - there is a sport somewhere isn't there? V8SC talk about the 'sport' all the time but you are suggesting they are only referring to their business?

When V8SC promote 50 years of Bathurst or 40 years of the ATCC aren't they drawing off the history and previous work of the sport?

And you ask "why should they give back"

Where would V8SC be without Australian Motorsport or the "smaller businesses" are you so eloquently put it?

Not buying GTRs attempt at justification either - totally misses the point
All I read here was whinge whinge whinge
Old 18 May 2016, 06:07 (Ref:3642565)   #67
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You got the "7" part right
Old 18 May 2016, 06:26 (Ref:3642569)   #68
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
Quote:

I suppose it is a business like other "sporting" codes, that they (V8SC) like to compare themselves with, here in Australia. Warburton likes to drag out any ratings successes they have over the opposition sports, and bang on about their position in the Australian sporting landscape.
The Australian Football League, The National Rugby League, Cricket Australia being our top sporting codes, are all run as successful business enterprises, but pride themselves on how much they plow back into junior development, which in turn keeps the juggernaut turning over with new players. As I previously said, I'll stand corrected if V8SC's do something similar.
Just about all of our sporting codes here in Australia like to give something back to their grassroots communities, in one way or another.
Old 18 May 2016, 06:48 (Ref:3642571)   #69
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
1970's to be specific. It was a circus act back in Peter Brock's days.
Old 18 May 2016, 10:25 (Ref:3642616)   #70
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
I suppose it is a business like other "sporting" codes, that they (V8SC) like to compare themselves with, here in Australia. Warburton likes to drag out any ratings successes they have over the opposition sports, and bang on about their position in the Australian sporting landscape.
The Australian Football League, The National Rugby League, Cricket Australia being our top sporting codes, are all run as successful business enterprises, but pride themselves on how much they plow back into junior development, which in turn keeps the juggernaut turning over with new players. As I previously said, I'll stand corrected if V8SC's do something similar.
Just about all of our sporting codes here in Australia like to give something back to their grassroots communities, in one way or another.
The models are different though - for both cricket and AFL, the governing body (or a section of it anyway) run the elite competitions therefore their model would need CAMS to be fully running & retaining the profits from VASC to compare apples with apples.

In the case of the NRL, the junior development programs are (I believe) largely funded by the ARL although a fair chunk of the ARL's revenue is fees paid to it by the NRL. The NRL does administer those programs on behalf of the ARL though, same as it runs the State of Origin games on behalf of the ARL.

In all three cases, the teams taking part are in fact clubs so they also have their own junior development programs and of course in many cases their own social club income generators to fund those programs.

In the case of VASC, they pay CAMS a considerable fee each year which clearly assists CAMS do the things it does as the fee adds to CAMS revenue streams. VASC used to run an extensive schools visiting program but that had to stop when alcohol sponsorship came on board. Then there are things like the timing system developed with Natsoft for VASC that gives lower levels of motorsport a good and useable system plus lower levels benefit from better facilities when VASC get them up and running with tracks. What there is beyond that I honestly don't know but I know that VASC drivers have done quite a bit of coaching work in the Kart world and in fact did most of the evaluation testing for Kart control tyres.

Supports pay a fee to run with VASC but that fee is less than they'd pay to run their own events and organise their own TV coverage so I guess that's a benefit and as the highest public profile motorsport we have here, VASC keeps the sport in people's consciousness - which no doubt would provide some assistance to lower level racers looking for commercial support.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head but I'm not sure where the expectation lies in "giving back" and how much people expect the organisation should do for it to be considered sufficient.
Old 18 May 2016, 12:26 (Ref:3642631)   #71
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Although the word 'Australian is superfluous. FIA have a LOT to answer for. Apparently in F1 it's now illegal to try to overtake. Won't take long for that to filter down...

Going back to the original title, some of the Caterham club series up here show everyone how racing should be done. Loads more power than they can handle, aerodynamics of a brick gives the advantage to the following car, and drivers who feel a little vulnerable so generally try to give just enough racing room. I've seen some amazing multi-car battles with frequent place changes and no damage incurred, and a bunch of drivers who get out smiling and clapping each other on the back. Does it make it to the TV? Nope. So few people know about it. Some influential people really ought to take a look at it, though.
Old 18 May 2016, 20:25 (Ref:3642717)   #72
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There are somewhere around 600 people working full time in the Virgin series, plus the Dunlop series and others. These roles would largely not have been in place to that extent in the Group A era, or the Group C era, and indeed are not prevalent in the GT3 category either.

Put back to where? Fat cats pockets? The sport has become an exclusive boys club where no one else can bring their toys to play. The money stays within a tight circle and doesn't filter down like it should.

Very unfair to compare it to Group A & C when the sport was just a sport. Most NRL players had 2nd jobs during those eras too.

So Tony Quinn doesn't employ anyone to run and facilitate his series?

So how much does Supercars pay circuit owners for the privilege of using their facilities? Do they compensate them for wear and tear?
Old 18 May 2016, 21:18 (Ref:3642723)   #73
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
So how much does Supercars pay circuit owners for the privilege of using their facilities? Do they compensate them for wear and tear?
As VASC promote many of the events, they do in fact hire the track from the circuit owners - how much they pay is clearly a commercial agreement between the parties.

At those tracks where the circuit owner still promotes the event, a fee is paid to VASC to bring the event and the promoter generates revenue from promoting the event and bringing a crowd - again, how much is made (or not) would only be known by the parties concerned.
Old 19 May 2016, 00:12 (Ref:3642737)   #74
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Put back to where? Fat cats pockets? The sport has become an exclusive boys club where no one else can bring their toys to play. The money stays within a tight circle and doesn't filter down like it should.

Very unfair to compare it to Group A & C when the sport was just a sport. Most NRL players had 2nd jobs during those eras too.

So Tony Quinn doesn't employ anyone to run and facilitate his series?

The green eyed monster, and not Mr Lowndes' 00 Falcon, appears to be alive and well...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 May 2016, 00:35 (Ref:3642741)   #75
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The green eyed monster, and not Mr Lowndes' 00 Falcon, appears to be alive and well...
Yeah... Group A was a sport, unless you had last year's car, in which case it wasn't a sport at all. And anybody could race, as long as they had big money for the current car that smashed all the others...