Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 24 Jul 2001, 08:46 (Ref:120965)   #1
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
standard new camera thread

i've got fed up with my flippin' nikon fm. it's broken twice in a month and a half after working perfectly for 3 years. it's time to buy a back up camera.

well, ok, a nice camera that will be my main camera.

i have a really good vivitar lens for my nikon i'd like to be able to use on a more modern camera, but that's not going to happen, is it?

anyway. so what i'm after is a modern camera that has the option to go fully automatic or fully manual. widely available lenses, gsoh, blue eyes, etc. preferably not over £500 including a lovely 300mm lens.

any words of advice?

Last edited by bella; 24 Jul 2001 at 08:48.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 09:44 (Ref:120998)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
You could do far worse than the package I just bought myself... Pentax MZ-7 with 28-80 and 80-320 - and I brought it on recommendation too... splendid
Old 24 Jul 2001, 09:52 (Ref:121004)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ahh, the gadget. may i be rude and ask how much it set you back?
Old 24 Jul 2001, 10:35 (Ref:121044)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Somewhere around the figure you quoted...
Old 24 Jul 2001, 10:47 (Ref:121047)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France

ah-ha! time to go down to campkins and start being nice to them, methinks....
Old 24 Jul 2001, 12:01 (Ref:121074)   #6
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A nikon F80 is what I'm aiming for. No idea how much it will cost down your way, but it is about AU$1200 including a 28-80 here, so most likely within your range and you can continue to use your old lens.

Though if you want to buy a nice Pentax Program A (not fully auto as manual focus) but I can throw in a 85-210.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 12:13 (Ref:121077)   #7
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I bought a new Minolta 505si Super with 28-80mm and 75-300mm lens yesterday. I am currently battling through the instruction manual as all my previous kits have been manual focus. I paid under £360, probably a bit basic for you.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 12:53 (Ref:121098)   #8
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I currently use a Canon EOS rebel with 35-80mm and 70-210mm lens and throw on a 2x telelconverter to shoot the race cars. I have had no problems. And mine has seen pouring rain, dust, and extreme heat as well.

With any of today's mainstream AF cameras from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Minolta, etc. you simply cannot go wrong.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 13:23 (Ref:121117)   #9
D428 CHO
Rookie

D428 CHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the mainstream makes seem to be good, so it all comes down to personal preference in the end. The advice generally given is to try out several, it might be possible to get some models loaned from friends/retailers through which you can shoot a roll of film. With the price these things cost it's not a decision to rush into! I chose a Canon EOS 300 (or 'Rebel' if you're outside the UK) mainly because it's simple to use and a good range accessories are easy to come across. Not too sure about the silvery casing or the fact that so much of it is plastic, but otherwise it's excelled my expectations.
Old 24 Jul 2001, 18:45 (Ref:121208)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I had some very nice shots from the MOlson Indy with my cheap camera (almost as sharp as the pros!), I'm also looking for a new camera...

I am looking for a low level SLR camera, and will probably pick up a 200mm lense too. I am taking a close loook at Pentax's MZ7, but there are many others that might do to...lol It's a tough choice, but for nearly a month's wages, I don't want to go wrong....
Old 25 Jul 2001, 08:21 (Ref:121447)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France

jay, ignoring the fact mine's playing up, i'd recommend a nikon fm. over here, a good condition second hand one retails for about £250. i picked up a 100-300mm lens for £90, which according to the bloke in the camera shop who used to do matt neal's photography, is about the most you'll need for decent race photography. i beg to differ. i'd say another 100mm on top of that would get nicely close at silverstone.