Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Mar 2017, 02:54 (Ref:3719243)   #451
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I really like the potential of Bryce Fullwood, so good on Matthew White for putting him in some newer gear, I'd like to think his improvement plane will continue on it's upward trajectory.
Having seen what he can do in karts and what he did in the old dunga chassis "Kulwicki" I reckon he has enormous potential.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 03:43 (Ref:3719254)   #452
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He was strong in the FG at Clipsal.

Kid has enormous potential.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 03:57 (Ref:3719258)   #453
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
More along the lines if they start winning in Super2 and the best Kelly Racing can do is run at the back of the Top Ten.
The AU was also successful in Konica, significantly faster than any maingame team ever got it!
Old 17 Mar 2017, 06:09 (Ref:3719283)   #454
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That can happen though, when you've get a pilot coming into it, with their eyes and ears open, and an engineer not entirely brainwashed into extracting speed the way the team has always done it.

We've seen it before in the maingame, too.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 06:30 (Ref:3719286)   #455
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
The AU was also successful in Konica, significantly faster than any maingame team ever got it!
the AU was given the parity upgrade it always needed when it just the konica series
Old 17 Mar 2017, 07:29 (Ref:3719292)   #456
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
the AU was given the parity upgrade it always needed when it just the konica series
I don't believe that to be true, I recall considerable concern that teams got so stuck in whining about it that they never got the potential the AU had. Are you talking about the undertray?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Mar 2017, 08:13 (Ref:3719300)   #457
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't believe that to be true, I recall considerable concern that teams got so stuck in whining about it that they never got the potential the AU had. Are you talking about the undertray?

Marcos Ambrose made a quote about driving the Au,
It was not at meeting, but a sponsors day,
when asked whats it like:
his reply,
"Like trying to drive a bag of spuds"
Old 17 Mar 2017, 08:13 (Ref:3719301)   #458
Umai Naa
Veteran

Weren't there 3 different iterations of the front splitter and rear wing over the 4 seasons of AU, until the BA was brought in?
Old 17 Mar 2017, 09:45 (Ref:3719317)   #459
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Weren't there 3 different iterations of the front splitter and rear wing over the 4 seasons of AU, until the BA was brought in?
Yeah it wasn't until they grafted the bottom of the VX splitter onto it they stopped shattering when it ran over a blade of grass, that didn't help

Old 17 Mar 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3719337)   #460
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

going back a long way 2003 or so, but yes from memory i believe an adjustment was made to the undertray of the AU when it was in the Konica series (or soon after).

Its hard for me to source that far back and the forum i used at the time is no longer available
Old 17 Mar 2017, 11:41 (Ref:3719339)   #461
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
going back a long way 2003 or so, but yes from memory i believe an adjustment was made to the undertray of the AU when it was in the Konica series (or soon after).
All the shenanigans happened with the EL vs VS as far as the undertray goes.

I think you are conflating an earlier issue.

My point remains, once all the AUs were gone from the main game, the Konica runners did times well beyond what the main games teams ever got out of them.

I maintain that if Ambrose and Bowe had put as much time into engineering the AU as they did into whining about it, it could have been a winning car...
Old 17 Mar 2017, 11:54 (Ref:3719344)   #462
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
All the shenanigans happened with the EL vs VS as far as the undertray goes.

I think you are conflating an earlier issue.

My point remains, once all the AUs were gone from the main game, the Konica runners did times well beyond what the main games teams ever got out of them.

I maintain that if Ambrose and Bowe had put as much time into engineering the AU as they did into whining about it, it could have been a winning car...
nah i just googled it and found a reference to it in another forum, so im confident it happned, it may have been some otehr part though.

Winterbottom won the championship in 2003 in an AU
Old 18 Mar 2017, 06:07 (Ref:3719532)   #463
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The AU got a new splitter in either late-2000 or early 2001 to look more 'Commodore-like' (the original splitter used to dig in like a bull-dozer when the AU went off track)

The AU also got a parity update in early 2003 for the main series as well, when some teams were still using them in the main series before switching to a BA (Larkham for example)
Old 18 Mar 2017, 07:36 (Ref:3719541)   #464
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
The AU also got a parity update in early 2003 for the main series as well, when some teams were still using them in the main series before switching to a BA (Larkham for example)
As I said before, you guys keep bringing this up but I think you're completely off base.

I have googled and trawled all the old forums (even finding my own posts) and people were crying for a parity adjustment, but I can't find any evidence of such anywhere.

Obviously Ford got it right with the BA, and SBR were able to use it to good effect, Bathurst aside.
Old 18 Mar 2017, 08:36 (Ref:3719549)   #465
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AU got a parity review and spliter extension for the 3rd or 4th round (Winton?) In the 03 season.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 18 Mar 2017, 10:12 (Ref:3719565)   #466
Mixer
Veteran

So you all keep asserting without evidence. I have asked the V8 Sleuth to adjudicate

Old 18 Mar 2017, 11:25 (Ref:3719580)   #467
Driver TBA
Veteran

Why not ask Mark Ostler over on the Shannons site too? He did a very good article a year or 2 ago on the AU aero issue.

Old 18 Mar 2017, 21:50 (Ref:3719815)   #468
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Ford AU falcon

Sorry not a member so not sure what it finishes with, but Mark Oastlrs article
Old 18 Mar 2017, 23:25 (Ref:3719842)   #469
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Thanks Pecky,

Pretty good article from Mr Oastler but it doesn't mention the addition of an extended lip for the AU that others here have (which definitely happened late in the model's racing life).

My recollection is that the lip was added after the BA was being used in the main game - I think to provide the AU with similar front aero to the BA. I also have a feeling that initially at least, the extended front lip was for main game only, not the Konica series but that may be the winds of time playing with my memory.
Old 18 Mar 2017, 23:55 (Ref:3719853)   #470
Driver TBA
Veteran

AU spoiler extension came from the new for 2003 blueprint parity rules which reviewed lap times for each model after X amount of races, hence the change appeared around round 4. Konica series didn't run to blueprint rules, so no change for the AU there.

From memory the BA could have been entitled to a parity adjustment too, when based on the lap time model used. Bit hard to do when Ambrose had won almost every race.

Old 21 Mar 2017, 10:55 (Ref:3720386)   #471
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IIRC the problem with the AU was it could be set up to be fast, or to make the front tyres last, but not both. The Konica races, being shorter, weren't as much of a handicap.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 10:57 (Ref:3720387)   #472
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
IIRC the problem with the AU was it could be set up to be fast, or to make the front tyres last, but not both. The Konica races, being shorter, weren't as much of a handicap.
That is indeed a salient point.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 10:56 (Ref:3722762)   #473
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt Chahda is to debut a new livery at Tasmania its white and green primary sponsor is RGI it looks menacing images are yet to be publically released
Old 1 Apr 2017, 06:25 (Ref:3722944)   #474
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2244 View Post
Matt Chahda is to debut a new livery at Tasmania its white and green primary sponsor is RGI it looks menacing images are yet to be publically released
Believe it may be Rice Graphic Images from just over the river at Wodonga. They do some great work.
Old 1 Apr 2017, 09:37 (Ref:3722979)   #475
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
If i am right, The AU ( absolutely Useless) was like driving a bag of spuds.
Set the front end, and rear would give you hell
set the rear end and front would give you hell

either way , you had to drive it like you stole it to get anywhere.