Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Mar 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2148168)   #1
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I had a billion dollars to spend on Eastern Creek

If I had a billion dollars.....

I've been to my fair share of motor racing venues, and I have got to say, if Eastern Creek was not my local track, there is no way I'd bother going.

The first kick in the face is the admission price $60.00 for Sunday general admission. And what do you get for that?

- No shade
- Poor viewing
- Cars you can't really hear because you can't get real close to them
- Over priced food - if you can call it food.
- No Atmosphere
- That lovely Rubish Tip Smell

If you venture around the back of the circuit, you don't even get a PA system to let you know what is going on. It is crazy ! No food vans unless you are on the main straight - its really half arsed.

Compare it to Clipsal... well you can't.. and Clipsal is better value for $
Why the promotor doesn't reduce the admission cost to $40-buck or so, to at least encourage a crowd seems crazy.

I'd never, ever ever, introduce any of my non motorsport mates to motorsport, by taking them to Eastern Creek - and it's a darn shame, that after this year, Sydney will not have an exciting place to watch motorsport.

A fair portion of my motor racing mates don't attend EC because they don't like it... and they are big fans of the sport.. yet they are turned off by the place.

I am a diehard fan of motor racing - and yet on Saturday & Sunday - I was bored. I spent more time looking at the circuit, thinking about who the bloody hell designed it in the first place.... what were they thinking?

It is a drivers track sure - but if I wanted to watch a congo line I could have stayed at home and watched ants crawl one after the other down the foot path... it would have been more interesting; and less expensive.

So what would you do if you had all the money in the world ? Would you bulldoze the lot and start again ?

For a start, as much as turn one makes the track, I'd get rid of it. I'd build grandstands in that area, reverse the direction of the track, and bring the track closer to the viewing areas. Have a complex series of corners there with passing opportunities galore.

It is all good and well to have fast sweeping corners like turn 1. Its one of the quickest corners in Australia .. but unless your watching A1 Grand Prix there, its "boring". Being so far away the cars dont look that fast, and you cant hear em anyway.

I'd get rid of the bit behind corporate hill, and move Pits up along the main straight, towards the existing 'last corner'.

Great tracks don't necessarily need to have a view of the whole track - Adelaide doesn't, Bathurst doesn't , but they have a heap of exciting places to watch the cars, and you get the feeling of the speed there and the reverberation of the cars noise.

At EC... you don't get any of that really, except if you're in the stand maybe.

What is my point? Well it's dissapointing that Sydney doesn't have a motorsport venue to get excited about in terms of circuit racing. Look at the crowd or lack of it on Sunday - look on their faces - and you can tell most weren't that excited with what they saw. Go back two weeks to Adelaide... Fan bloody tastic... Sydney derserves a better show whether it be a better permanent track, or a street circuit.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2148177)   #2
agosling
Racer

agosling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I would bulldoze EC, it is a soleless place that doesn't have anything to recomend it to anyone, even it's location close to the magnificent Blacktown just leaves me cold.

It I had the money I would spend it on buying Oran Park back and upgrading it, it has so much more to offer.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 10:28 (Ref:2148179)   #3
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by agosling
Personally, I would bulldoze EC, it is a soleless place that doesn't have anything to recomend it to anyone, even it's location close to the magnificent Blacktown just leaves me cold.

It I had the money I would spend it on buying Oran Park back and upgrading it, it has so much more to offer.
But Blacktown City is the "Motorsport Capital of Australia"
Haven't you seen the sign? It must be true! .... for Drag Racing in NSW perhaps.....
Old 10 Mar 2008, 10:30 (Ref:2148183)   #4
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km
If I had a billion dollars.....

I've been to my fair share of motor racing venues, and I have got to say, if Eastern Creek was not my local track, there is no way I'd bother going.

The first kick in the face is the admission price $60.00 for Sunday general admission. And what do you get for that?

- No shade
- Poor viewing
- Cars you can't really hear because you can't get real close to them
- Over priced food - if you can call it food.
- No Atmosphere
- That lovely Rubish Tip Smell

If you venture around the back of the circuit, you don't even get a PA system to let you know what is going on. It is crazy ! No food vans unless you are on the main straight - its really half arsed.

Compare it to Clipsal... well you can't.. and Clipsal is better value for $
Why the promotor doesn't reduce the admission cost to $40-buck or so, to at least encourage a crowd seems crazy.

I'd never, ever ever, introduce any of my non motorsport mates to motorsport, by taking them to Eastern Creek - and it's a darn shame, that after this year, Sydney will not have an exciting place to watch motorsport.

A fair portion of my motor racing mates don't attend EC because they don't like it... and they are big fans of the sport.. yet they are turned off by the place.

I am a diehard fan of motor racing - and yet on Saturday & Sunday - I was bored. I spent more time looking at the circuit, thinking about who the bloody hell designed it in the first place.... what were they thinking?

It is a drivers track sure - but if I wanted to watch a congo line I could have stayed at home and watched ants crawl one after the other down the foot path... it would have been more interesting; and less expensive.

So what would you do if you had all the money in the world ? Would you bulldoze the lot and start again ?

For a start, as much as turn one makes the track, I'd get rid of it. I'd build grandstands in that area, reverse the direction of the track, and bring the track closer to the viewing areas. Have a complex series of corners there with passing opportunities galore.

It is all good and well to have fast sweeping corners like turn 1. Its one of the quickest corners in Australia .. but unless your watching A1 Grand Prix there, its "boring". Being so far away the cars dont look that fast, and you cant hear em anyway.

I'd get rid of the bit behind corporate hill, and move Pits up along the main straight, towards the existing 'last corner'.

Great tracks don't necessarily need to have a view of the whole track - Adelaide doesn't, Bathurst doesn't , but they have a heap of exciting places to watch the cars, and you get the feeling of the speed there and the reverberation of the cars noise.

At EC... you don't get any of that really, except if you're in the stand maybe.

What is my point? Well it's dissapointing that Sydney doesn't have a motorsport venue to get excited about in terms of circuit racing. Look at the crowd or lack of it on Sunday - look on their faces - and you can tell most weren't that excited with what they saw. Go back two weeks to Adelaide... Fan bloody tastic... Sydney derserves a better show whether it be a better permanent track, or a street circuit.

i wouldn't go either if it wasn't my local track (10, minutes from my house).

it cost me $95 for GA, Paddock and grandstand for sunday , i bought a cup of hot chips and a couple of drinks (took the restof the food from home) i bought a JDR hat all up it cost me about $130+ for the day, abit steep. i had pretty much half row to me and my dad (and i didn't stink so it's not that).

although the small crowd let us speed out in the grandstand and the longesat lineup i stood in was to meent Murph and Jase and go to the loo, it was good to feely move in the its and get plenty of photo's.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2148187)   #5
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I did an Advanced Driver Training course there with BMW last year and it was a blast. As you say "great driver's track"

But would I go there to watch anything?

Not a snowflakes hope in hell...

I'd sell the land for housing, then you'd have two billion dollars and you could turn Wakefield Park into something special!
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 10 Mar 2008, 10:49 (Ref:2148193)   #6
lavenlaar
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
lavenlaar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well you may want to read this

http://www.blacktown.nsw.gov.au/shad...Name=blacktown

(pdf doc)
Old 10 Mar 2008, 10:59 (Ref:2148198)   #7
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It boggles the mind that it was once Australia's home to the 500cc grand prix, what must overseas visitors think of us. I'd much rather see Bathurst on Thursday or Friday than Eastern Creek on a Sunday (that's the choice I usually make)
Old 10 Mar 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2148201)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
a billion dollar would very easily run a street race at homebush.

I think you could spend ten billion dollars at EC and crowds still wont attend, you need to change the sydney culture to achieve crowds

use some of your billion to put lights in at albert park
Old 10 Mar 2008, 11:04 (Ref:2148203)   #9
6.213km
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenlaar
well you may want to read this

http://www.blacktown.nsw.gov.au/shad...Name=blacktown

(pdf doc)
It looks fantastic on paper. But a speedway has been mooted ever since the ARDC took over the running of the circuit ten years ago.

What the proposal fails to address, is the fact that the circuit is flawed. It is a boring place to watch motorsport. Extra facilities as shown in the draft would be wonderful, but if the paying public go home dissatisfied and uninspired - then they wont come back.

Might I just say WSID is a great facility - built by people in the business of Drag racing - same with the Karting complex.

Unfortunately the EC Circuit layout is not spectator friendly.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 11:05 (Ref:2148205)   #10
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
i wouldn't go either if it wasn't my local track (10, minutes from my house).

it cost me $95 for GA, Paddock and grandstand for sunday , i bought a cup of hot chips and a couple of drinks (took the restof the food from home) i bought a JDR hat all up it cost me about $130+ for the day, abit steep. i had pretty much half row to me and my dad (and i didn't stink so it's not that).

although the small crowd let us speed out in the grandstand and the longesat lineup i stood in was to meent Murph and Jase and go to the loo, it was good to feely move in the its and get plenty of photo's.
you do realize you have pretty well much described nearly all the tracks here in Australia.

The clipsal is trying hard with the facilities but if you need to go to the loo before the race make sure you are there 1/2hour before the race otherwise you will miss it
Old 10 Mar 2008, 11:27 (Ref:2148212)   #11
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i love WSID it's great great place to spectate and a great place to race. but even the Top Fuel USA v Aus meets there fail in crowd numbers i think to Willowbank but thats just from attending both tracks so i could be abit wrong, same as league gets more in QLD despite NSW having more teams, same with Rugby, Cricket, the list goes on Sydney siders suck they give the good sporting Aussies a bad name get out and support you sport you are the biggest state in Aus.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2148224)   #12
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re-design turns 6-7 and 10-11 and make them passing opportunities.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 10 Mar 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2148234)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It appears even VESA organised a Telegraph journo to take pot shots at EC in yesterdays paper.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23770,00.html

Old tired re run on v8 propaganda against the track, makes me wonder if the journalist in question even did much of the writing.

Upon review, it appears VESA teed up a few hot laps for this journalist with Davison on Friday afternoon, only hours before this article was written

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
a billion dollar would very easily run a street race at homebush.
But how would that solve any of the issues discussed ?

In short it wouldnt, but VESA would get a larger sanction fee.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 00:46 (Ref:2148793)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a driver, I really like Eastern Creek. The track is fast, flowing and safe and the facilities are excellent.

As a spectator, it's not so great. The pit building blocks the view from the grandstand and corporate hill blocks a lot of viewing as well. I don't know why corporate hill has to be so tall. I rarely see many people on it.

My only suggestions are to cut the top off corporate hill and get rid of turn 6 and make it a straight run from turn 5 to turn 7. This will reduce crashes and allow more passing.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 01:59 (Ref:2148826)   #15
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
davelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only been there as a driver and spectator from the pits. It is a great drivers track, clean toilets and showers, great garages with power, nice air cond club rooms. Fantasic circuit to drive on. Maybe you should join the ARDC. Free acces to events and a chance to have you say on running the place.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 02:02 (Ref:2148828)   #16
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Change the direction of the track. It is a much better track to drive in the clockwise direction. Remove corporate hill so you can actually see some of the track

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 11 Mar 2008, 02:24 (Ref:2148834)   #17
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Train...decrease ticket prices...

Take EC any day over QR, Sandown
Old 11 Mar 2008, 02:45 (Ref:2148843)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd plant a heap of trees on the top of the hill at turn 1, all the way along to turn 2, and some more round the back. They'll take years to grow but the shade would be welcome.

The tracks fine in my opinion, even the pits where they are. If they were moved from their current location you wouldn't see alot more from the grandstand than you do now anyway......

Another thing to consider is that the crowd may have looked small at Eastern Creek, but put the same number into Oran Park & it'll look like a bumper crowd.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2149003)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.

But how would that solve any of the issues discussed ?

In short it wouldnt, but VESA would get a larger sanction fee.
i would also buy glasses for DRT so that he can read more than the first sentance.

there is nothing wrong with eastern creek, except maybe prices (food and entrance), i guess you could offer free beer on the saturday that would bring in a crowd and create the party that they wanted
Old 11 Mar 2008, 11:27 (Ref:2149051)   #20
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
i would also buy glasses for DRT so that he can read more than the first sentance.
If Sydney culture is the problem, then why do so many try to invent issues with the track, whether that be viewing, location, promotion etc that wont be improved by a street race.

Instead of VESA trying to deflect blame, maybe the realization that with Sydney being such a competitive market the deficiency lies with 28 vehicles that make the show.

Eastern Creek sits smack bang right in the middle of the fastest growing population in NSW. You know the one AFL and NRL are going to war over and yet if you read Sundays paper, the track is in the middle of nowhere.

Quote:
there is nothing wrong with eastern creek, except maybe prices (food and entrance)
Whats wrong with the prices. Considering the HUGE sanction fee and the comparative prices of other V8 events I cant see a problem.

A promoter has to cover event costs dont they ?
Old 11 Mar 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2149077)   #21
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
maybe you can give your opinion on what you would do to the track with a billion dollars. you seem to be picking on my ideas and have none of your own
Old 11 Mar 2008, 12:09 (Ref:2149086)   #22
D.R.T.
Veteran

As a venue and what else is on offer, I dont think there is anything wrong with the track.

In the article (linked earlier) Cattach seems to think that modern tracks are built for the fans (and EC built for drivers). What modern track is he talking about. China, Bahrain seem to be awfully similiar in terms of viewing from the grandstand.

People feel the need to plonk themselves on the start finish line and then complain they cant see the whole track Simple get up and move. There are plenty of good viewing areas but many feel the need to only go to the front straight.

Flattening out corporate hill would be great, I think even EC officials would agree but that isnt possible at the current time.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 13:18 (Ref:2149136)   #23
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo
Train...decrease ticket prices...

Take EC any day over QR, Sandown
Really? Can't speak for QR in a spectators viewpoint but I always found Sandown excellent. Can see nearly all the track from the grandstand and see 80% from the old hill/Dandenong Rd corner. Always found it a great viewing facility. Also trainline at the front gate.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 11 Mar 2008, 13:55 (Ref:2149168)   #24
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL at this thread...

Having driven EC, I would say it's one of the better tracks in the world, it's not another airfield, it's got elevation, it's got fast and slow corners, etc etc.

Yes, like any track more money would make the facilities better, but who would pay for it? look what a farce hosting F1 has become.... all for the sake of 1 race a year.

Been to Sandown, and the track is just flat and boring compared to EC, I would rate Wakefield or Oran Park higher from a track perspective.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 22:56 (Ref:2149580)   #25
MarkInTheStands
Racer

Australia
Lalor Park
MarkInTheStands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually have been thinking about this for a while. Here is what I would do with Eastern Creek.

1- Build New Grand Stand.
I would think if you knocked the Top of the Hill at One and Build a large Corporate/ Shaded Grandstand area that gets a good View of Turns 1 - 3 and the front straight. Now that the Drag Strip is no longer used you Could move that Area Closer, but you still needs some run off area so you couldn't reclaim to much land.

2 - Level Corporate Hill. Seriously it has to go. No one can see around it and it is an interesting Part of the Track. Watching from the Top of Turn 2 it is a great little area.

3 - If we are going to keep the Pit building were it is. SHADE SAILS on the ROOF. We pay enough to get up there, and then we get cooked. This may effect sight lines for people in the grand stand towards 7 - 13

4 - Promote the Place and the Event. Seriously. I was reading ENEWS and apart from the fact the Grand Prix is next weekend. It was a great time to have a Major Event in Sydney. NRL Kick of is this weekend. There is no AFL. The TAHS were playing Friday Night. It was the last really Free weekend. If Promoting the Place means tickets were maybe $20 cheaper or so then I say do it.