Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 27 Oct 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2977631)   #1
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2013 Grand Prix of America

So New York City is to be the background of the New Jersey Grand Prix in 2013! I'm very happy to hear this as my sister lives in New Jersey and I shall now definitely be organising my holiday to see her during that time!

I wonder who would be organising the marshalling there? I'd happily go as a speccy but would rather marshal it. Anyone got any idea who might be in charge of the marshalling?
Old 27 Oct 2011, 11:47 (Ref:2977642)   #2
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybirch View Post
So New York City is to be the background of the New Jersey Grand Prix in 2013! I'm very happy to hear this as my sister lives in New Jersey and I shall now definitely be organising my holiday to see her during that time!

I wonder who would be organising the marshalling there? I'd happily go as a speccy but would rather marshal it. Anyone got any idea who might be in charge of the marshalling?
youre eager!
Old 27 Oct 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2977645)   #3
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me too, I'd like to Marshal it - a new circuit in an English speaking country, yes please
Old 27 Oct 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2977675)   #4
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
USAC (as the FIA's representative in the US of A) organised Indy when it was an F1 event. Membership compulsory - for a variety of reasons.

I seem to remember it was all done by email and web (yes, even back in 2000!) and one major point for being selected was experience of FIA events at the level you were applying for.
I certainly remember having to dig out the list of all FIA events I'd done in the previous 5 years.

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 27 Oct 2011 at 12:43. Reason: bit more info being remembered
Old 27 Oct 2011, 14:35 (Ref:2977731)   #5
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Me too, I'd like to Marshal it - a new circuit in an English speaking country, yes please
Does Northamptonshire no longer count as an English-speaking country ?

Or Australia ?
Old 27 Oct 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2977775)   #6
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
I seem to remember it was all done by email and web (yes, even back in 2000!) and one major point for being selected was experience of FIA events at the level you were applying for.
I certainly remember having to dig out the list of all FIA events I'd done in the previous 5 years.
You mean you would have to show evidence of having marshalled at FIA meetings in order to get to the GP - what a good idea! Maybe we should suggest that over there on that other thread....
Old 27 Oct 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2977810)   #7
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not being funny here, but WHY oh WHY would you want to travel to the US and marshal F1?!!!!

There are SOOOOO many other events to go and do!

Last edited by deadsquirrel; 27 Oct 2011 at 18:03. Reason: put the WRONG word in. oops ;)
Old 27 Oct 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2977828)   #8
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Not being funny here, but WHY oh WHY would you want to travel to the US and marshal F1?!!!!

Because family live close and I can combine the two.
Because I like New York and would love to see a race circuit with that backdrop.
Because I actually enjoy marshalling F1.
Because I want to and we're all different and I don't judge anyone else not wanting to do it.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2977904)   #9
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post

Because that way you start at the bottom, work your way up from there before you finally retire at Sebring!
Old 27 Oct 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2977910)   #10
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybirch View Post
Because family live close and I can combine the two.
Because I like New York and would love to see a race circuit with that backdrop.
Because I actually enjoy marshalling F1.
Because I want to and we're all different and I don't judge anyone else not wanting to do it.
You forgot the smiley
Old 27 Oct 2011, 20:32 (Ref:2977920)   #11
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Bodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want to go......would be nice to marshal, but i've not marshalled abroad yet. So guess I may go as a spectator and have a week in NY at the same time. Been there before and really enjoyed it
Old 27 Oct 2011, 23:31 (Ref:2977969)   #12
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More information

Will be available as soon as I find it. Watch this thread.

Don't expect anything until after LeMans as there are too many stumbling blocks at present.

Patience, boys & girls. .
Old 28 Oct 2011, 15:17 (Ref:2978258)   #13
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodger View Post
I want to go......would be nice to marshal, but i've not marshalled abroad yet. So guess I may go as a spectator and have a week in NY at the same time. Been there before and really enjoyed it
go spectate then ask as many officials "oy scuse me mate, how do you get to do this... thanks coc'!"
Old 28 Oct 2011, 15:49 (Ref:2978276)   #14
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
go spectate then ask as many officials "oy scuse me mate, how do you get to do this... thanks coc'!"
No.No. No. They're used to Dick Van Dyke Cockney. Hit 'em with broad Lanky mixed with Geoffrey Boycott:

"Eh, 'appen' sithee tha' nost. Can'st tha tell us how tut gerrin?"

Far more effective.
Old 7 Jun 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3259074)   #15
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bump

N.J. Formula One Race Is 'Definitely On' http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...WhatsNewsThird This probably belong somewhere but, most commentso nj/ny are here. Move if required.

Ho hum or not.