Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 3 Sep 2006, 08:04 (Ref:1700437)   #1
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Micheal Jordan to Nascar!

No, not really.

but it does show how popular NASCAR is getting on the world stage, will we see international drivers' dreams to be to race in Cup rather than F1?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 3 Sep 2006, 08:55 (Ref:1700468)   #2
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Would be good to see.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 09:17 (Ref:1700479)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Micheal Jordan to Nascar!
Is that the reason they switch to the CoT?

Last edited by FIRE; 3 Sep 2006 at 09:21.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 09:19 (Ref:1700482)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Certainly, NASCAR is flourishing in terms of driver interest it would seem. I think we will only see more and more topline drivers from all categories going there in the coming, but there is still a certain amount of snobbery to be dealt with first I feel!

Of course, this may just be a one off boom period!
Old 3 Sep 2006, 10:48 (Ref:1700576)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Of course, this may just be a one off boom period!
It will be until we start to see some "outsiders" making a name for themselves in NASCAR - if Juan-Pablo Montoya would start winning races, for example, it might be what, down the road, opens the flood gates.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 10:52 (Ref:1700585)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, I'd agree with that.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 12:04 (Ref:1700630)   #7
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could he be the poverbial Emerson Fittipaldi/Nigel Mansell?
Old 3 Sep 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1700696)   #8
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's a pretty tall order. As it stands right now, NASCAR's audience worldwide vs. F1's is pretty paltry - like it isn't even close. F1 in China now, soon to be India I bet (probably Russia), it's apples and oranges.....IMHO.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1700700)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Who cares about audience?
Old 3 Sep 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1700713)   #10
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Trying to speak to one part of the post I thought Knowlesy, the one about NASCAR'S popularity on the world stage. Even for the drivers, it has to come into it if even for just a moment.
Old 3 Sep 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1700721)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Drivers will either go where the money is or where they think they will enjoy their racing. I'm not sure audience ever really enters the mind.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 00:16 (Ref:1701949)   #12
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NASCAR is not close to F1 but its chief problem abroad is a lack of exposure. Drivers like JV and JPM will bring many fans with them as well as media attention. If other follow them and areas that did not even know what NASCAR was in the past take a look at the series, the global racing ball game will change. NASCAR's product is far better than F1. This could be looked back as the time when F1's hegemony began to end.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 5 Sep 2006, 00:49 (Ref:1701962)   #13
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Drivers will either go where the money is or where they think they will enjoy their racing. I'm not sure audience ever really enters the mind.
No, but big sponsors go where the audience is & if drivers follow the money (ie sponsors) then audience really does play quite a large part in where drivers, or at least those that want to earn money rather than having to pay for drives, go.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 5 Sep 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1702367)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysfirst
No, but big sponsors go where the audience is & if drivers follow the money (ie sponsors) then audience really does play quite a large part in where drivers, or at least those that want to earn money rather than having to pay for drives, go.
As long as NASCAR remains as big & popular on the US market as it is I don't see a shortage of sponsorship anytime soon - the worldwide audience is just a nice bonus.

Are the crowd-numbers for Formula 1 available anywhere online? Would be interesting to see how the NASCAR crowds stack up against the Formula 1 ones.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1702446)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

NASCAR has no problems with crowds, they are ludicrously huge week in, week out.

And as for sponsors.....43 cars all with some fairly big deals plastered over them.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 16:14 (Ref:1702450)   #16
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There are still some littler teams struggling with getting sponsorship but I see them falling out of the Cup series in max 2 years.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 16:42 (Ref:1702474)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well yes, but it's a small portion.

I don't think you can expect everyone to be drowning in cash, there has to be losers in every field sadly.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 18:09 (Ref:1702554)   #18
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
NASCAR has no problems with crowds, they are ludicrously huge week in, week out.
Exactly, which is why I'd like to see how they stack up against Formula 1
Old 5 Sep 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1702573)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quite favourably, but it's hard to compare an oval attendance to a road race attendance I guess.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 23:48 (Ref:1702837)   #20
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erki
There are still some littler teams struggling with getting sponsorship but I see them falling out of the Cup series in max 2 years.
That is more due to the lack of results from those teams than a lack of willingness to sponsor NASCAR teams in corporate America. Numerous studies have proven that sponsors get far more in advertising through NASCAR sponsorship than they would if they spent the same money on conventional ads. It is a cost effective way of marketing. Budweiser pays, what, maybe $15, $20 million at most for sponsoring Dale Jr.? The total value of the exposue they get from Junior is light years ahead of $20 million.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 7 Sep 2006, 12:01 (Ref:1704057)   #21
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Quite favourably, but it's hard to compare an oval attendance to a road race attendance I guess.
Maybe somebody can find some because the numbers I remember hearing or seeing somewhere, audience sizes for F1 races vs. NASCAR were not close at all. That may have been Bernie spouting off some, exaggerating to make his point, but not that much I don't think. 15 milion or some such for the Daytona 500 I think the example was; over 300 million for every F1 race. Worldwide mind you, but still.

Like you said though knowlesy, maybe on another post, who cares about audience? I couldn't care less what everybody else is watching.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1704164)   #22
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been out of touch for a number of years now but these are sponsorship costs from about 6 years ago. They have probably gone up 75% to 100% since then. For example, I understand that Pfizer spent about $20 million to sponsor the #6 car when they were sponsor a few years back

Hood & Rear Qtr Panel (usually sold as a pkg).........$12 million

Trunk & Back....................................................$1.5 million

Lower Rear Qtr Panel..........................................$1 million

Front Qtr Panel.................................................$500,000

B-Pillar............................................................$200,000

C-Pillar.............................................................$500,000
Old 7 Sep 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1704192)   #23
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Muggle,

I think that those numbers for a top (or Chase) team are low for 2006, but the ratios are still probably pretty close.

A company which going to sponsor a Cup team (for example) will budget at least the amount of the sponsorship again for advertising the sponsorship, e.g. TV ads featuring the driver, in-store displays and promotions, show cars, print ads, etc. Budweiser has done a particularly good job of this with Jr. and the stand-up displays and TV commercials.

I'm also impressed with the number of TV ads aimed at the NASCAR audience and featuring distinctive qualities of the drivers. Carl Edwards (and Mark Martin) and the back flips, Dale Jarrett and the Truck, FedEx and Denny Hamlin, etc. Even companies which do not directly sponsor cars, such as Allstate, have made TV commercials aimed directly at this audience.

Marketing departments know and measure returns on the whole sponsorship package as well as individual parts; they're not doing this because the CEO is a NASCAR fan. The sponsorship money is in NASCAR because it works.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1704195)   #24
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No question. Nascar sponsorship pays big dividends or the Companies would bail out fast. Please note that I stated those numbers were from around 6 years back and have gone up considerably since then. I have had limited contact recently and do not know the exact $$$ amounts.

Also, those numbers do not include the $$$ the teams get from the manufacturers in terms of support.