Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Apr 2014, 05:14 (Ref:3390405)   #1
RatHawk
Rookie

RatHawk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welp, I'm off to TX in a few hours to marshal at COTA! Should be interesting...

First time volunteering to flag marshal with Dorna. Looking forward to the experience! MotoGP! Circuit of the Americas! How taboo is having your own camera equipment with you trackside? Used with discretion and set down during the actual racing OK or not? Thanks in advance for some guidance here.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 10:06 (Ref:3390475)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You'll be asked to leave if you're spotted using a camera whilst track is live.
By all means take a camera, put it away in your bag whilst the track is live. Use it when you are in downtime.
In other words, if you get a shot of a bike on the track, you're risking your pass!
Old 9 Apr 2014, 10:26 (Ref:3390478)   #3
RatHawk
Rookie

RatHawk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm going to quit asking questions I didn't want the answer to! ...thanks...
Old 9 Apr 2014, 10:34 (Ref:3390480)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Btw- it's a crackin' circuit and Austin is cool
Old 12 Apr 2014, 04:05 (Ref:3391373)   #5
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to me, taking a few pictures from the event (the venue, maybe paddock, pit lane, etc.) is the best memory/keepsake I can take from volunteering.

most of my colleagues in the US don't seem to agree with me

that said I've already seen pictures posted on facebook from the MotoGP at COTA this weekend, so I'm sure you won't be the only one with a camera

Have fun!
Old 16 Apr 2014, 07:35 (Ref:3393163)   #6
leftandright
Rookie

United States
Central TX
leftandright should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, the powers that be motogp confiscated a GoPro before the race from a marshal at Turn1 that had mounted it on a barrier well away from the marshal stand (they saw it from the race control cameras). Wiped the memory and kept the camera-was not returned to the marshal. Someone said on the SCCA marshal site that it went back to Angora w the race director...
Old 16 Apr 2014, 11:47 (Ref:3393273)   #7
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
TV contracts do rather dictate what recordings can be taken and in what position at most major (and some minor!) events, which may explain that course of action.

More widely though: if I've volunteered (this is a hypothetical me) for a meeting, then I've volunteered to fulfil a specific role. To take advantage of that role by filming or taking photographs (when the track is live, specifically) when I've not signed on or been accredited as media means I'm not doing what I'm there for.

The immediacy of various forms of social media do mean that we get the opportunity to post "right at the heart of the action" photos or videos; but by doing so, we're not actually *in* the heart of the action, we're bystanders. I don't volunteer to be a bystander - I can go the other side of the fence to do that with everyone else. And the organisers expect a level of commitment from me once I've signed on, not for me to have my concentration (or presence) wander in and out of focus while the track is live.

I guess what I'm saying, in a roundabout way, is: don't take the mickey.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 12:33 (Ref:3393288)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Exactly right. We're not spectators and shouldn't act as such. Apart from anything else, operating a camera or similar from trackside can be a dangerous activity. I would assume various insurances would be invalidated by doing so.

If you wish to take photos there may be certain times under exceptional circumstances when it's possible to do so, but never during live sessions and always with the express permission of the post chief. Otherwise I believe marshals' standing instructions are 'no cameras or phones on post'.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 03:43 (Ref:3394192)   #9
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftandright View Post
well, the powers that be motogp confiscated a GoPro before the race from a marshal at Turn1 that had mounted it on a barrier well away from the marshal stand (they saw it from the race control cameras). Wiped the memory and kept the camera-was not returned to the marshal. Someone said on the SCCA marshal site that it went back to Angora w the race director...
that's quite interesting!
Old 18 Apr 2014, 08:47 (Ref:3394268)   #10
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftandright View Post
Sounds like theft of a camera to me...unless of course the marshal didn't want to admit who owned it so they didn't know who to return it to .

Steve