Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 28 Jan 2012, 11:46 (Ref:3018132)   #251
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Prost made a comment, something along the lines of how do you relate/talk to someone who has this type of faith. the political Prost is painted as the 'bad guy' and the religious Senna is depicted, particularly post race Brazil 91, as a quasi sort of religious figure laid out with hands nailed to the wheel. maybe im reading too much into it but those images combined with him talking about his faith (a lot) naturally lead me there and i found it a bit off putting.
i think that's a unfortunate mixture of the way his following in brazil was depicted and the way his faith and religion was introduced. i really don't think senna was under the impression he was a man of god and that he was leading people in a spiritual way (that's blasphemy, for starters), but that it was his duty as both a human being and a good christian to help people.

his spirituality, particularly behind the wheel in my opinion allowed him to drive without fear because god would look after him. fear operates on so many levels in the subconscious that it enabled him to do a lap without self preservation kicking in. the only person capable of that level of total disregard to the barriers and consequences now is maldonado, but that's because he just has no intelligence at all to give him the fear in the first place, and thus comes from a totally different angle and direction. totally incomparable, and just used as an example. monaco polarises that disregard and belief compared to other circuits.

that lack of fear of senna (commonly portrayed as invincibility and arrogance) coupled with his insane speed made him who he was. prost, being the scientist, academic, and logical one, couldn't bring anything to the table that would bring him anywhere near that level of... commitment in the car. if you think about senna's arrogance on track without his spirituality he seems rather like a schumacher type. we only know he isn't because he was open and honest enough to try and explain how he managed that incredible lap of monaco.

the comparison between the spiritual and the academic and professor is actually a pretty strong theme in taoism, which is kind of funny considering the spiritual in this case was a devout christian

that article strider linked to is absolutely superb, well worth a read (and still bookmarked and reread regularly chez bella)
Old 28 Jan 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3018137)   #252
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
that article strider linked to is absolutely superb, well worth a read (and still bookmarked and reread regularly chez bella)
Ditto. That's why I was able to find it so easily!
Old 28 Jan 2012, 13:48 (Ref:3018160)   #253
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I read an interview with Scottish bike racer Steve Hislop a while back with views very similar to those of Senna about being sort of ehad of the bike.

Also if you watch MotoGP, the golden era of the early 90's was dominated by American rider Wayne Rainey, he was rarely on the quickest bike but was the man that pushed the level of riding beynod that of most.

He won the Japanese GP of 1993, beating quicker bikes and stuff, and in that race he believes he was so far ahead of the bike that he was almost playing with the opposition, his tyres were perfect and he could slide the bike so much he was trying to intimidate his opponents, especially his biggest rival Kevin Schwantz. He mentions wort of watching himself over the top of the bike, almost looking down on himself.

I have only ever experienced this is in simulation games, where very occasionally you can sort of get into a zone you previously have bever got into!

Very weird
Old 28 Jan 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3018203)   #254
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I have only ever experienced this is in simulation games, where very occasionally you can sort of get into a zone you previously have bever got into!

Very weird
its called Using the Force....
Old 28 Jan 2012, 16:55 (Ref:3018230)   #255
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed, well most of use cant use it all the time

Which is why there are aliens everywhere!
Old 28 Jan 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3018233)   #256
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Indeed, well most of use cant use it all the time

Which is why there are aliens everywhere!
Rossi and company ;-)
Old 12 Feb 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3025004)   #257
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Wow it won at the Bafta !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Feb 2012, 01:23 (Ref:3025055)   #258
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Wow it won at the Bafta !!
In fact it won two both the documentary and editing

watched it again afterwards and it still pulled the same emotional strings as seeing it in the cinema did
Old 17 Feb 2012, 07:01 (Ref:3026936)   #259
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting comments on it here. I've just bought it and am awaiting delivery so I can see what kind of portrayal it is.

I wouldn't say I was a Senna fan but I am interested in the phenomenon.

Elliot.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3317902)   #260
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant 'documentary', I loved the in car camera shots, superb film.