Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 4 Nov 2000, 23:15 (Ref:46732)   #1
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whilst my car is in bits for some extensive panel beating, my guys have decided to replace the well worn original rubber bushes with Nolathane, a hard plastic/urethane compound.

I'm now wondering how this increased stiffness in the chassis will affect the handling, will I have to change my swaybars/anti-rollbars or play with tyre pressures etc. ?
Old 5 Nov 2000, 04:35 (Ref:46767)   #2
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because you are replacing soft mounting points with a harder material, you will find that everything in the suspension will feel stiffer in its reactions to inputs. The new bushes will not absorb jolts, etc., like the old rubber ones, and will not deflect under load as much.

I wouldn't expect that you will find any need for major changes - maybe just minor tweeks to cambers and toe settings - remember that the arms will stay much closer to their static settings alignment-wise now when under load. You will only be able to determine what has to be changed thru experimentation.

Good luck !
Old 6 Nov 2000, 14:10 (Ref:46964)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another side effect of using urethane bushings is the NVH levels. The Noise, Harshness, and Vibration levels will be more pronounced, but this is the cost youpay for sharper handling.
Old 6 Nov 2000, 17:09 (Ref:47002)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Be careful because eurathane bushes tend to absorb moisture and break down. You'd be better off with SFN.

And you will notice a sharp increase in handling.
Old 16 Nov 2000, 14:20 (Ref:48601)   #5
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am building up my BMW 2002 Touring and I like the idea of replacing the bushes with the hard plastic ones, but I was wondering if it would increase the stress on the chassis that much it could crack a few weldings here and there?
Old 16 Nov 2000, 14:38 (Ref:48604)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
People tell you that about Rose Joints but I've never heard it said in connection with SFN.
Old 17 Nov 2000, 13:27 (Ref:48763)   #7
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dino,
If its for the road, use BMW M-sport hardened rubber bushes.

I destroyed a road car over 20K miles, 32K Km using urethane and SFN, it was just too hard for UK roads.

Too much noise, the chassis started flexing,
Handling was fine until then, but so was the car on harder rubber and it wouln't hav eworked the chassis so hard.

On a track car use SFN if you cna't afford or are not allowed steel spherical joints.

Regards

IanC
Old 18 Nov 2000, 16:50 (Ref:48875)   #8
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great Ian, thanks for the advice!