Old 24 Jun 2013, 18:02 (Ref:3269051)   #1
atomik99
Rookie

Canada
Canada
atomik99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First design in years - critiques please

Hi everyone. Long time no see

Looking for comments and suggestions for a new track, which incorporates a drag strip.

Old 24 Jun 2013, 18:32 (Ref:3269065)   #2
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, not a fan of the repeated hairpins. 5&6 are very, very slow. 14-15 are just boring. the Parallel drag-strip and s/f-straight are very economical, with the grandstand overseeing them both. But, as a non-dragracing-enthousiast, I'm not fond of it, since it increases the distance from the grandstand to the track.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 18:54 (Ref:3269077)   #3
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like this one.

There's two things i would do: loosen up T2 - the speed there is big enough to make it a legit overtaking point, even if it's not that tight - and loosen up T15 considerably. T's 13-15 are three vary slow turns in succession, I think that would help it a bit.

But it's still a good one.

bio
Old 25 Jun 2013, 00:26 (Ref:3269264)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't have a problem with the parallel start and Drag strip, as from including these in designs it's only another 20-25m, which in this day and age would probably be tarmac anyway.

You could open T2 a bit perhaps making it run towards T4 rather than T3. It would make it one less hairpin type corner on a circuit with quite a few.
Accepting the above, I'd mirror T3 T4 and the part of T5 so that it turns left into the infield the right and using a bit of T5 to extend the straight to T8 (T6 and 7 would disappear).
I'm not a fan of the 13-14-15 section either. For me, approach to T13 needs straightened so that T13 becomes a genuine 180 hairpin, or perhaps a slightly arcing exit joining back up the exit of T15 for the run back the start.

I've probably made it faster, and chopped of 700-800m but I feel it would have a better flow.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 06:07 (Ref:3269346)   #5
orangewarning
Rookie

orangewarning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe turns 14-17 should be changed into a left right chicane, as werner had said.. turn 14-15 that stretch is a tad too boring. Im fine with T3-T6 but I feel more speed is needed there to spice it up.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 17:59 (Ref:3271314)   #6
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks somewhat "Tilkesque" to me eyes, reminds me somewhat of the new Russian track. I like the whole idea and the dragstrip is in the correct spot,what I don't like, is T1 being such a hard braking overtaking spot, that tends to equal mongo-1rst turn-pileups the turn is too slow and too angular, I would for sure put at least one or two flowing sections before the first real overtaking spot arrives, but that's just me and my crazy ideas.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 06:16 (Ref:3272214)   #7
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
It looks somewhat "Tilkesque" to me eyes, reminds me somewhat of the new Russian track. I like the whole idea and the dragstrip is in the correct spot,what I don't like, is T1 being such a hard braking overtaking spot, that tends to equal mongo-1rst turn-pileups the turn is too slow and too angular, I would for sure put at least one or two flowing sections before the first real overtaking spot arrives, but that's just me and my crazy ideas.
No its not just you, its me too. Hard braking first turns are a no brainer. You don't do them. A sweeping medium speed turn accelerating away into a straight or a series of sweepers allows the field to spread itself without so many major pile ups. Suzuka and Silverstone are good examples and contrast them with other places like Spa and Paul Ricard short circuit when they used it for the French GP....
There are ways to design circuits so they allow the field to find an order without wheel to wheel hard contact.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 06:20 (Ref:3272216)   #8
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I would open up turn one and 2 and probably rearrange the layout all the way to turn 7 so it allowed the different flowing series of corners with a straight and a tight corner later (about T5 or T6).
Old 3 Jul 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3273563)   #9
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The overall blot shape of this circuit looks very much like Bahrain International, located in the Sakhir desert, just that it's run in the other direction, has a different middle section and some hairpins attached to the front straight.

With its overabundance in sharp corners, this circuit pretty sure will be rather heavy on the brakes. I have once designed a track with a hairpin section myself, too, and I can tell you that the straights in between those are too short for overtaking and too long to make the section distinctively tight. To be honest, I would remove it completely and replace it with some Esses.

The Turn 5-6 combination is extremely tight and slow. I'm not sure if going through there even feels like racing or just queueing up for the car wash. Sorry to say that but the corner radii of turns 3 to 6 all need to be increased to make any sense.

I hope these suggestions are of any help.
Old 7 May 2014, 12:13 (Ref:3403316)   #10
kerb
Racer

Australia
canberra
kerb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you make T1 a long double apex corner it will change the angle into T2 making it not so tight, can probably lengthen the straight between T3-4 making T5 a longer double or triple apex corner and have the road fall away under the car, to try force the mistake. move T6 more toward T7. and turn the T14-17 into a fast left-right sweep