Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Sep 2017, 08:20 (Ref:3766454)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Roland Dane To Exit VASC Board

Story Here

A shame to have Mr Dane leave the board.. running some of the winningest cars in thecseries history, bringing in mega multinational brands, and running the works Holden squad (which will be even more important when 888 supplies engines & chassis parts to the whole Holden field) is not easily replaced.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 13 Sep 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3766461)   #2
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Three of the most successful teams in V8s,

DJRTP - http://prntscr.com/gkksj9
Triple 8 - http://prntscr.com/gkks5j
HRT - http://prntscr.com/gkklwe
Old 13 Sep 2017, 10:04 (Ref:3766471)   #3
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Story Here

A shame to have Mr Dane leave the board.. running some of the winningest cars in thecseries history, bringing in mega multinational brands, and running the works Holden squad (which will be even more important when 888 supplies engines & chassis parts to the whole Holden field) is not easily replaced.
Hopefully not to the detriment of the catagory.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 10:46 (Ref:3766486)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Hopefully not to the detriment of the catagory.
Well that's what I'm wondering.
There isn't an immediate replacement that fits all those criteria
Especially having someone there that owns their team, and can say yes/no without a board of directors meeting back at home base
Old 13 Sep 2017, 10:49 (Ref:3766488)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Especially having someone there that owns their team, and can say yes/no without a board of directors meeting back at home base
Tim Cedric?
Old 13 Sep 2017, 11:29 (Ref:3766502)   #6
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
As you state, someone who owns their team, but I would have said Edwards, Johnson, Penske or Cindric would have been a fair replacement, the two Australians have been in the sport forever and Penske and Cindric seem to have the brains
Old 13 Sep 2017, 11:57 (Ref:3766515)   #7
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roger Penske

Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
As you state, someone who owns their team, but I would have said Edwards, Johnson, Penske or Cindric would have been a fair replacement, the two Australians have been in the sport forever and Penske and Cindric seem to have the brains
Penske has the brains eh, pardon my mirth
Old 13 Sep 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3766517)   #8
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Penske has the brains eh, pardon my mirth

From what I see, but then again I don't watch a lot of NASCAR due to the time zones. He did make a small mistake by giving up on Scotty Pye
Old 13 Sep 2017, 12:33 (Ref:3766524)   #9
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Of course no director can refer a decision back to another meeting of directors for another company - that would be a breach of the corporations act and their fiduciary responsibilities but I understand what you mean.

Nothing against Roland but I think that it's good that he's standing down - fresh eyes on the board is no bad thing and he's had a long innings.

Hope they find the right person to replace Roland on the board and help take the business and the sport forward.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3766528)   #10
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
From what I see, but then again I don't watch a lot of NASCAR due to the time zones. He did make a small mistake by giving up on Scotty Pye
Ah yeah, best you do some research into "The Captain" - massive businesses in the US, Europe and here. I think that he could quite easily buy everyone else in the Supercar pit lane and their businesses if he really wanted to.
His racing activities include Ilmor engineering, Supercars, NASCAR, Indycar, going back into sports cars, there was champ car and of course his own F1 team not to mention designing and building his own cars in the CART days and doing plenty of winning there too. Roger is a colossal figure in the world racing industry and for that matter the automotive industry.

So, yeah, I think he'd "have the brains" as you put it but I also think he wouldn't have the time to do the role.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3766534)   #11
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roger Penske has always avoided "management" type roles in motor racing series, the closest he got was his part in CART.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Tim Cedric?
Tim Cindric?

He'd be a little too busy in America I would think
Old 13 Sep 2017, 21:25 (Ref:3766653)   #12
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
So, yeah, I think he'd "have the brains" as you put it but I also think he wouldn't have the time to do the role.
And the board would probably prefer someone who is in the country at least every meeting would they not?
Old 13 Sep 2017, 22:04 (Ref:3766666)   #13
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
And the board would probably prefer someone who is in the country at least every meeting would they not?

Exactly. The Captain wouldn't have the time to get down to OZ that often - can't see it working for either him or the board.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 00:32 (Ref:3766681)   #14
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

Tim Cindric?

He'd be a little too busy in America I would think
Bringing his son into line should be his number one priority.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 00:39 (Ref:3766682)   #15
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh?
Old 14 Sep 2017, 05:11 (Ref:3766705)   #16
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Oh?
Final Lap at Mosport a few weeks ago.

Being a long time fan of NASCAR I am aware of the bump and run, but Austin's last lap move in the recent Truck Series race was disgraceful. He made no attempt to pass and simply punted Kaz Grala out of the way. And showed very little remorse in victory lane.

Not sporting and not expected from someone that grew up around Team Penske.

And don't ever let him near a DJR Team Penske Car.

Apologies for the off topic rant.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 05:13 (Ref:3766706)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Final Lap at Mosport a few weeks ago.

Being a long time fan of NASCAR I am aware of the bump and run, but Austin's last lap move in the recent Truck Series race was disgraceful. He made no attempt to pass and simply punted Kaz Grala out of the way. And showed very little remorse in victory lane.

Not sporting and not expected from someone that grew up around Team Penske.

And don't ever let him near a DJR Team Penske Car.

Apologies for the off topic rant.
Story Here
Old 14 Sep 2017, 06:35 (Ref:3766728)   #18
Umai Naa
Veteran

Supercar drivers have done similar in the past, and still have a gig.

Hardly detrimental to his career, considering its stockcar racing.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 08:28 (Ref:3767817)   #19
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roland Dane was quoted about himself not seeing Super 5000 as something that Supercars should be involving itself in... could this have had anything to do with him stepping away?
Old 17 Sep 2017, 08:46 (Ref:3767822)   #20
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Roland Dane was quoted about himself not seeing Super 5000 as something that Supercars should be involving itself in... could this have had anything to do with him stepping away?
He's been there 13 years or so, does he need a reason?
Old 17 Sep 2017, 08:57 (Ref:3767824)   #21
Umai Naa
Veteran

Besides walking away from the series, as a stakeholder in the catagory, he can't totally distance himself from it.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 08:58 (Ref:3767825)   #22
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
He's been there 13 years or so, does he need a reason?
No, just seems an interesting time to be getting out of there, to me anyway
Old 17 Sep 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3767928)   #23
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
No, just seems an interesting time to be getting out of there, to me anyway
It is a particularly large amount of time for anybody to be part of the board of any organisation. Roland isn't getting any younger and he has lots of other things on his plate.

No doubt he has made a strong contribution to what can be a thankless job, and if anybody is anomaly hunting you could find "reasons" anytime.