Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Jun 2002, 19:22 (Ref:308770)   #1
dogsbody
Racer

dogsbody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadwell Park [BRSCC(N)] 09/06/02

To-day’s BRSCC(N) meeting nearly did not go ahead. We were short of marshals on paper and suffered some failures. The bosses put together a plan that involved some of the lesser posts being single manned and put this to the crew for their opinion. A number of Marshals decided to walk (as is their right, although none of them were assigned to the single manned posts). They perhaps should have waited, as a call for help to the paddock resulted in a number of volunteers coming forward, scrutineers being drafted into trackside duties, regulars being re-assigned and suggestions from the top being implemented. The result was a manned circuit and every driver got a race despite the weather causing the meeting to be abandoned early (double headers).

BRSCC(N) rewarded all its officials, and coupled with the raffle some individuals went home £30 better off than when they arrived. Whilst the meeting started an hour late, a 40 minute lunch-break was given and the racing started just 30 minutes behind the originally scheduled time.

A number of people arrived having volunteered for one duty and found themselves doing something completely different. To them, to all the paddock volunteers, and all our other marshals there is a VERY BIG THANK YOU!

For the future, everyone is welcome to all race meetings at Cadwell Park. It is a great circuit to marshal as there are no gravel traps, and plenty of exciting corners. Feel free to contact John Watson for details.
Old 9 Jun 2002, 20:13 (Ref:308856)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Dogsbody - did the marshals who left give their reasons for doing so?

I'm just wondering what would cause marshals to stand down in a situation where resources were already so tight?
Old 9 Jun 2002, 20:35 (Ref:308905)   #3
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not only is everyone welcome, it is a warm and friendly welcome and tea or coffee available at sign on
Old 9 Jun 2002, 20:37 (Ref:308909)   #4
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was just about to ask the same Q EP, - maybe it was a safety issue and they didnt feel safe to marshal the event but having said that I was left alone on post on more than one occasion this year - same as you EP, with a set of flags and a radio -it was tough but we managed...
Old 9 Jun 2002, 20:43 (Ref:308921)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
True - but each circuit is different, which is why I'm interested in knowing what, if any, reason was given for standing down.

Even in situations where I've been less than happy with the circuit, I've always stood by whatever commitment I've made. Having said that, whilst I've occasionally had safety "question marks", I've never felt that I was being put in serious danger (other than the usual dangers of marshalling in the first place of course!)

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 9 Jun 2002 at 20:48.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 09:34 (Ref:309350)   #6
Spinner
Racer

Spinner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just like to say thank you to all the Marshalls on the day, I had a wonderful day racing and cant wait to go back and drive sideways over the mountain again!
Old 10 Jun 2002, 17:28 (Ref:309819)   #7
dogsbody
Racer

dogsbody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EP, I am unable to comment on whether reasons were given as I was elsewhere when they made that decision.

Spinner: I am glad you enjoyed your day, come again, and next time you may find it a little quicker (if less fun) to drive up the mountain in a straight line, and no I didn't see you do it!
Old 10 Jun 2002, 17:44 (Ref:309836)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isn't it time there was a decent fund set up to pay our
brilliant volunteers that keep our racing safe? It would then surely prevent race meetings being cancelled due to lack of marshals.
Couldn't the MSA get some form of grant (lottery?) that could be invested and the interest paid out yearly to the regular marshals? They put their lives on the line ( I was a witness to that tragic accident on the Silverstone club circuit in 1979 where some marshals were killed by an errant Jaguar E ) and yet they receive very little.
It always amazes me that some individuals earn MILLIONS from Motor Racing each and every year yet the people that make it happen receive little bar a free pass and good vantage point. They would not earn their millions without the marshals!
Old 10 Jun 2002, 20:26 (Ref:309985)   #9
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Nice thought Andrew, but if you have a look at other threads here you will note that most marshals don't WANT to be paid - possibly it's insanity, possibly an honour thing...and usually a tax thing!

If such a fund was put together, it could be of great use though. Most Marshals' clubs and Rescue Units have to gather funds for training, equipment, flags etc. These funds come from a variety of places including Motorsport organisations (including the MSA for the UK marshalling organisations I think?), club charges (rather than payment for individual marshals) for attending events, sponsorship and fund raising. Marshalling kit is also expensive - overalls, boots, raingear all of that stuff - and usually this is bought by the individual marshal.

If additional funding were to be organised, this is the kind of thing that money could be well spent on - in consultation with the marshalling clubs.

Nice to know someone cares though

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 10 Jun 2002 at 20:27.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 20:46 (Ref:309998)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Andrew,

Although shortage of marshals is a national problem, I think Cadwell has its own problems, the main one being that it is miles from anywhere, with no heavily-populated areas within easy driving distance - I speak as somebody who spent a lot of his childhood in rural Lincolnshire. Even Oulton Park, within half an hour or so drive from much of Greater Manchester & Merseyside, can have difficulty getting enough marshals for some meetings.

I love Cadwell, & will be marshalling there for the Jaguar meeting in July, but faced with a 2 hour drive to Cadwell or a 45 minute drive to Oulton, Oulton naturally looks more attractive, even allowing for the fact that my sister lives in Horncastle, so we could stay overnight at no cost (well, we usually take her out for a meal!).

I suspect that many other marshals are put off marshalling at Cadwell because of its location - compared with most other circuits, the number of marshals for whom it is the 'local' circuit is, I would think, relatively small.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 10 Jun 2002 at 20:51.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 21:14 (Ref:310025)   #11
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were 7 of us who travelled up from south of the M3 to Cadwell last July ( excellent B & B + a sumptuous meal at Via Italia in Louth ) and we looked after 4 posts. We observed at Mountain Top and acted as flags and course at Mountain Bottom and both Hall Bend posts!

If we had not made the trek, the meeting would have been in jeopardy as many drivers insisted on racing on the full circuit as per their regs.

We were glad to do it and had a smashing but busy day. I agree that the reason Cadwell is often so short of marshals is purely its distance from " civilisation". There can be no other reason as the circuit is terrific, the action usually frantic, the cars 'right there' and the welcome from everyone in authority is splendid.

We are there again in mid July. It is not cheap adding petrol to meals and B & B, but a couple of times a year it sends the adreneline rising and makes for another weekend to look back on with pleasure in the long winter evenings.....

All marshals , from wherever they live, ought to try one meeting a year at Cadwell; its like racing used to be and how we like it!

Give me Old Hairpin any day in preference to standing 30 yards from the track at Silverstone.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 21:21 (Ref:310032)   #12
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have read all the reason why Cadwell suffers from a lack of marshals and in truth I agree with many of them, however look at it this way, you have one of the best circuits in the world to go and marshal at, imagine my problems living only 1/2 hour from Silverstone, fortunately I have enough sense not to go there - Balders