Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 28 Sep 2004, 20:27 (Ref:1109760)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, You Just Hit The Lotto...

So, you just hit the super-duper mega billion zillion lotto. You've got alot of money now, but still not much brains, so you decide to buy an IRL team.

Your team will consist of 2 cars, and you'll run a third for the Indy 500. So you need 2 steady drivers, and one for Indy, and it just so happens that everyone in open wheel racing and NASCAR is now available and dying to drive for your new team! Amazing, huh?

Also, what is your chassis/engine combo, teams name, colors, and who would sponsor your team?

Here goes mine: Welcome to Yankee Motorsports, sponsored by none other than the NY Yankees(baseball team). Team colors are naturally, white with dark blue pinstripes(yankees uniform)which look great on the Honda/G-Force chassis. My overpaid drivers are(how else could I get them to drive for me?LOL!)

1 - Sam Hornish Jr.
2 - Dan Wheldon
Indy Driver - Jeff Gordon (great PR stuff!)

Have some fun!
Old 28 Sep 2004, 21:02 (Ref:1109805)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great thread GP Racer!

All American racers sponsored by KFC. The team colours are of course red and white.
The chassis for Sam is Dallara and the chassis for Buddy is G-force, and well....Tony's is also a Dallara with an encredibly inproved Chevrolet engine.

1-Sam Hornish jr.
2-Buddy Rice
Indy driver-Tony Stewart

Seeing as I'm half American and half British I decided to go with a U.S. team.

Although my British team would include Dan Wheldon, Dario Franchitti and Darren Manning.

Last edited by luke; 28 Sep 2004 at 21:03.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 21:33 (Ref:1109845)   #3
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd start with a two-car LMP1 team in the ALMS with the aim of competing at Le Mans.

OH right, wrong forum.

Um...I'd field two G-Force chassis with Honda power. Regular drivers would be Sam Hornish Jr. (proven championship winner) and Ryan Newman (just freaking quick). I'd book Tony Stewart for Indy.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 21:44 (Ref:1109854)   #4
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm... can I get Lola to make an IRL car for me? If so They're Lola-Hondas. If not, GForce-Hondas.

If I won the mulitmillionaire lotto, I don't need sponsors! OF course, with my new drivers I will get sponsors. my team will be:
#80 - Coors Light - Patrick Carpentier
#81 - UPS - Bryan Herta
#82 - Briggs & Stratton - ME (Indy only)

I've always wanted to drive in the Indy 500, and I think if I were a millionaire I could make that happen. And since Coors and Molson merged, I think I could get them to sponser a Canadian driver. And I can just see the television commercials now. Dale Jarrett won't drive the truck, but Bryan Herta will...

Last edited by evo; 28 Sep 2004 at 21:46.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 21:56 (Ref:1109861)   #5
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh, excellent choice on your Indy driver evo!

I hear good things about him!

PS - No Lolas and no LMP's! Maybe a Falcon chassis with a Mechachrome engine though...

Last edited by GP Racer; 28 Sep 2004 at 21:58.

Danica Patrick
Old 28 Sep 2004, 22:00 (Ref:1109863)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Assuming I'm running the 2004 season and I limited myself to IRL drivers (I don't want to get into the whole drivers from other series thing), I'd run Hornish and Manning with Honda engines. If I was running for 2005 I'd have Pat Carpentier and Manning. Sentimental reasons and Danica smoking Hornish in testing worry me in taking Hornish for the 3 road/street courses prevent me from selecting him for '05. Engine wise I'd run a Mazda Rotary, although I'm not sure they can run a high enough compression ratio...
Old 29 Sep 2004, 00:56 (Ref:1109929)   #7
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would run Dallaras ( prior experience plus I like their engineers and Katrina Dallara )
I would run Honda engines if I had to lease them ( Chevrolet if I get to build them myself )
For my 3 drivers I would choose a proven veteran to lead the team ( Jaques Lazier since he's available ) a fast young personable driver ( Vitor Meira ) since he might be available and I could train him and for my Indy only driver I would choose Tony Stewart as he would leave nothing on the table trying to win the race.
The figure to run this team would be about $ 15,000,000 US per year so the lottery payout better be big !
Now if I could have any drivers available I would choose Tony Kaanan, Sam Hornish and for Indy only I'd still choose Tony Stewart !
Old 29 Sep 2004, 01:21 (Ref:1109940)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I'd have to sit in a pub for 6 months and think about it , then i'd buy a pacific Island where I can pick Banannas and coconuts all day and throw at visiting tourists, then I'd probably go back to the pub and think (or was that drink) some more.

By that time I sould be ready to announce my team.

after seriously considering running a couple of Van Diemen formula Ford cars the bar maid would slap me silly till I sobered up and purchased a couple of g Force chassis and a Honda engine.

I'd probably then blow my dough on a driver like Robby Gordon cause he can be hot sometimes

my 2nd driver would be Buddy lazier cause he is just one of my favorites and I'd run a 3rd car for someone like ..... david Coulthard at indy just to prove that he really is past his used by date.

After blowing all my cash in a single season I'd probably retire to my pacific island nation and continue tourmenting tourists and sit back and enjoy watching you guys use your money more wisely on the biggest TV screen ever built.

Or maybe I wont bother doing any of that
Old 29 Sep 2004, 04:56 (Ref:1109998)   #9
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Ahh, excellent choice on your Indy driver evo!

I hear good things about him!
Thanks, GP Racer. I think our third driver could definitley give Marty Roth a run for his money at Indy. And there HAS to be a driver from Western Canada once Patrick is in there.

Last edited by evo; 29 Sep 2004 at 04:59.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 08:47 (Ref:1110117)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Team Name: Challenge from Italy
My team colours: Gitanes blue
My prime sponsor: Rayban
My team manager: Mario Andretti
My chassis: Dallara
My engines: Honda

My drivers: Franchitti, Papis
My Indy driver: Jeff Gordon (ok, nothing in common with Italy, but what the heck!)
Old 29 Sep 2004, 21:43 (Ref:1110702)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ecurie Ecosse Panoz/G-Force-Honda

Sponsored by the Royal Bank of Scotland and Fina

1 - Helio Castro Neves
2 - Dario Franchitti (well, I had to)
3 - Jeff Gordon (Indy only)

Bit boring, I'm afraid.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 22:54 (Ref:1110770)   #12
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should have said that I would put this team together if I survived the drinking binge after I fould out I had won it.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 23:55 (Ref:1110781)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by Team Owner
I should have said that I would put this team together if I survived the drinking binge after I fould out I had won it.
You might have better luck putting your team together, DURING the drinking binge!
Old 30 Sep 2004, 05:20 (Ref:1110848)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
thats what i did
Old 30 Sep 2004, 19:11 (Ref:1111624)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Like JHansen, my money would realistically be spent on an LMP program with the goal of winning the ALMS Season Championship and Le Mans...

My drivers for that effort would be:

Robby Gordon (belongs in sportscars)
Scott Sharp (His best racing discipline...steady as a rock)
Marc Goossens (probably the most under-rated road racer on Earth)

But that is not the subject of this thread....

My IRL effort would consist of the G-Force chassis (because "Mulsanne Mike" works for them...a sharp guy!) chassis with Chevy power that I would be built on my own dime (not leased) with Rick Long at Speedway Engines doing my engine program..... second choice for a builder would be to flip a coin between Ed Pink or Brayton Engines

My Drivers:

Robby Gordon
Tony Stewart
(provided I can keep them in separate rooms all season long so they don't kill each other)
Jeff Gordon (Indy Only)

I picked three guys who are versatile, and have been fast in virtually everything they have ever driven....all three are hard chargers with great natural ability....

My only concern would be how "volatile" two of them are....

Gotta admit....

I'd sure get my money's worth....even from the engines...because if ANYONE could get the most possible potential out of that Chevy engine, it would be Mr. Long at Speedway Engines....

Sponsor: Lucas Oil....

and a Nice Red, White & Blue livery for those G-Force chassis..

Team name: Paradigm Racing

Why??

Becuase I would "Think Outside of the Box" on everything we did to try to get an advantage and to win...

One American Open Wheel Series!