Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

View Poll Results: Which Team Was The Worst In Formula 1 History?
Andrea Moda 12 32.43%
Colini 1 2.70%
EuroBrun 0 0%
Kauhsen 1 2.70%
Life 16 43.24%
MasterCard Lola 7 18.92%
Onyx 0 0%
Pacific 0 0%
Simtek 0 0%
Other (Please State) 3 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Aug 2006, 06:38 (Ref:1685687)   #26
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, them too but they have done it fairly quietly in comparison, no egg on faces. Remember all the glitz at the BAR launch and Adrian Reynard saying they will win in their first year?
Old 18 Aug 2006, 07:41 (Ref:1685730)   #27
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Colini (was it Colini? The team with the yellow cars in the late 80s/early 90s) would rate up there too, for sheer lack of performance and bad ideas.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 18 Aug 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1685958)   #28
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Andrew. the thread is about GP cars not WC particularly, so I still claim the Pearce Martin (for, which thanks, ensign 14) Unless the Inter Trophy was not for F1 cars!
Old 18 Aug 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1685960)   #29
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Say Kipper, if Sassetti was 'big in footware', what size would that have been?
Old 18 Aug 2006, 13:21 (Ref:1685984)   #30
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Others I have thought of are:

Maki, a Japanese effort that was a bit of a disaster.

Token, which was a nice looking machine, but didn't get very far.

Chris Amons own effort had potential but did very little.

Techno who were very good in F2, were pretty poor in F1.

Lyncar also built an F1, but was very short lived.

I think the biggest problem with all these teams is that the were trying to race on a shoestring, which isn't the way to go F1.

Lolas effort has been mentioned, but I think they were stuffed by the sponsor Mastercard and never really stood a chance.

My vote has to go Life - weren't they going to develop a W9 engine!!!????

As aside one of the Forte Corses is being used at a Racing Drivers School in UK

Last edited by Alan Raine; 18 Aug 2006 at 13:24. Reason: Wrong Credit Card!!
Old 18 Aug 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1685996)   #31
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble
Say Kipper, if Sassetti was 'big in footware', what size would that have been?
Never mind, I knew what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
Maki, a Japanese effort that was a bit of a disaster
I have read that Jan Lammers tested a restored Maki a few years back and thought that the car was fundamentally OK, but needed substantially more development than the what the team could afford.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1685999)   #32
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Worst must be an italian device called a Dwya which I think failed to quaify for a Aurora F1 race.-never entered a WC race.
Spooky - just this morning I picked up an entry list and found myself wondering "what on earth is a Dwya?"

Never heard of the thing before, and now it comes up again in this thread. Has anyone got anything else on it?
Old 18 Aug 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1686002)   #33
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lola built cars in 1995 and 1997 (see chassis history section).

The 1997 effort was not stuffed by Mastercard really though that is the commonly held belief, but that is another story that will be told in the not too distant future

DAMS-Reynard of 1995 looked pretty ropey but never attempted to race the GD-01 though its gearbox ended up in the '95 minardi and the '96 Dome.

Scalabroni's Asiatech never made it beyond a windtunnel.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 15:48 (Ref:1686092)   #34
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
I have read that Jan Lammers tested a restored Maki a few years back and thought that the car was fundamentally OK, but needed substantially more development than the what the team could afford.
Isn't that why half these teams failed?
Old 18 Aug 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1686094)   #35
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
The 1997 effort was not stuffed by Mastercard really though that is the commonly held belief, but that is another story that will be told in the not too distant future
Is this a subject you will be writing about?
Old 18 Aug 2006, 16:19 (Ref:1686109)   #36
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
Doe's anyone remember the Eiffeland. Basically it was a March 721 (I think) but the team were sponsored by the Eiffeland, the Caravan Manufacturer. They thought as they built it would be a good idea to gain advantage by building new bodywork around the driver (using Caravan Technology?) and it had a big mirror on a post in front of the driver, which basically blocked his view.

Was it any good - no it was total rubbish!!!!

http://www.racingsportscars.com/f1/1...-06-04-006.jpg
A good article on the Eifelland on F1 Rejects.com here

(and also articles on pretty much every other team on the poll!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I think Colini (was it Colini? The team with the yellow cars in the late 80s/early 90s) would rate up there too, for sheer lack of performance and bad ideas.
Thats Coloni, their cars weren't always yellow, they switched to a messy white/blue scheme for 1989/91 (and failed to qualify for all 16 races in '91 - perhaps the worst full season by any team ever...)

Its amazing how many of these teams Roberto Moreno drove for - AGS in '87, Coloni in '89, Eurobrun in '90, Andrea Moda in '92 and Forti in '95 (one of the few drivers who can say that Minardi was among the best teams he drove for in F1!)

Last edited by Ryo28; 18 Aug 2006 at 16:29.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1686115)   #37
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
I only ever saw it at Brands and it looked awful but those earlier pics of it are weird!
Old 18 Aug 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1686116)   #38
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alan - yes its is covered in detail in my next book which is being put together at the moment, theres a untold story about the T97/30's. And some other cars.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 16:32 (Ref:1686121)   #39
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
Doug Nye quotes Howden Ganley (in History of GP Car 1966-85) that at the 'Ring it was feeling quite good. Then it fell apart...

There were two Makis; the white one that Ganley had, which was at least plausible-looking (the F101A?) and was developed into the blue one for Fushida to have a go with, and a darker bue one for Tony Trimmer to try at Japan in 1976 (F102A?). This latter looked spectacularly awful, as if it were a bitza based on an F3 tub or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
"what on earth is a Dwya?"
It's actually Dywa and developed by Dydo Monguzzi. Appears to have been an OK looking F5000 transformed into an horrendous F1 attempt in 1979 (Autosport apparently reported that it could not hold on to a straight line) and with the sidepods stripped brought out again in 1983 for F1 and 1985 as the Monte Carlo F3000 (with some Fulvio Ballabio involvement - he called it Monte Carlo to get some funding).

I've seen pics here & there culled from Italian magazines of it in various guises, but not the 1979 version.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 16:38 (Ref:1686126)   #40
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Alan - yes its is covered in detail in my next book which is being put together at the moment, theres a untold story about the T97/30's. And some other cars.
That should be interesting as there were lots of rumours around at the time about how it was being funded and that the Mastercard deal was very complicated - I await publication!
Old 18 Aug 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1686312)   #41
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Let us know when it is out.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1686343)   #42
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
This latter looked spectacularly awful, as if it were a bitza based on an F3 tub or something.

It's actually Dywa and developed by Dydo Monguzzi. Appears to have been an OK looking F5000 transformed into an horrendous F1 attempt in 1979 (Autosport apparently reported that it could not hold on to a straight line) and with the sidepods stripped brought out again in 1983 for F1 and 1985 as the Monte Carlo F3000 (with some Fulvio Ballabio involvement - he called it Monte Carlo to get some funding).

I've seen pics here & there culled from Italian magazines of it in various guises, but not the 1979 version.
Theres a thread on Atlas nostalgia about the Dywa with plenty of pics, if you are interested. I was unaware it was revised for F1 in 83 though, where did they intend to run it? Ballabio revised it as the horrific Monet Carlo 001. He later "developed" the Mig Le Mans car.

The Maki that Trimmer tried to drive in Japan in 76 was not allwed to practice, I think the Monocoque (looking somewhat like a mid 80s F3 car, was held on to the rear end by two tiny ears of metal that would have given way in the slightest crash. Trimmer was a brave man and I think efforts were made to transfer him into a Shadow at that meeting - what a shame his years of hard work were'nt rewarded then.

My choice would be the Monteverdi era Onyxs - an absolute criminal waste of a very tidy F1 car, and a real shame for the hard working people from Littlehampton. Anyone seen the red one in Peter Monteverdis museum that he modified? Its bizzare!
Old 18 Aug 2006, 22:56 (Ref:1686358)   #43
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
merzario,rebaque,connew,brp,scirroco,de tomaso,jbw, a lot of cars never made it.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 08:19 (Ref:1686487)   #44
bauble
Veteran

England
The stillborn Sascha-Gordine from 1950's France, the 2.5 litre Bugatti driven by Maurice Trintignant in the 1956 French GP it's only race (ret.)
Arrows/Footwork contested 382 GP's and never won a single race they also may have set a record by using no less than 11 different makes of engine in their history.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1686495)   #45
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
382?!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 19 Aug 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1686582)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Too many dungheaps, not enough selection opportunities

Footwork Arrows FA12 Porsche anyone? Embarassment to all...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Aug 2006, 11:36 (Ref:1686586)   #47
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Worst team, Minardi.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1686768)   #48
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Minardi actually led a lap once...
Old 20 Aug 2006, 04:23 (Ref:1686903)   #49
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
A Minardi finished 5th!
Old 20 Aug 2006, 09:57 (Ref:1687068)   #50
Howard Wood
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
Howard Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Prix I know and technically not F1 but the most ignominious failure was the V16 BRM. Announced with much fanfare in 1946, not race ready until May 1950 and with the budget, access to technology and build resources that should have made it a world beater.

The car and team failed completely, its only major win being a heat win in a non championship race at Albi in 1953 at the very end of the 4.5/ 1.5 litre formula when everone else was concentrating on their new 2.5 litre cars for the following season.