Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 22 Nov 2016, 20:45 (Ref:3690335)   #51
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pure speculation, but my guess is that we will see him in a Renault Clio .
Old 22 Nov 2016, 22:10 (Ref:3690352)   #52
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't heard anything from Solberg. Guessing that he will be back in a Citroen, only my speculation though.

In other rumors, or things I heard, nothing confirmed though. Öhman will keep racing, he had thought of quitting. Also Norwegian Kristoffersen (can't remember his first name, raced a Supercar Fiesta MK6 last few years) will do ERX with a Citroen DS3.

Magda Andersson has been rumored to race the Volkswagen Scirocco that Ramona Karlsson drove in 2015. Ramona is working on getting back in rallycross as well in 2017, taking a sabbath year this year to take care of her child.
Old 23 Nov 2016, 22:51 (Ref:3690614)   #53
The Eye
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
The Eye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read somewhere Solberg saying “Ideally a factory seat, otherwise I build a new Citroen C3.

Tore Kristoffersen have bought Öhman's DS3.

Martin Kaczmarski aims to do ERX 2017 + a few WRX races.

Also Paulius Pleskovas aiming to do ERX, building a new Fiesta.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 08:55 (Ref:3690682)   #54
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eye View Post
Read somewhere Solberg saying “Ideally a factory seat, otherwise I build a new Citroen C3.
That's interesting. If a factory seat wasn't forthcoming I wondered if Solberg would switch from the DS3 to the C3 as the WRC team have.

I am still hoping for Mercedes involvement, as I think the A45 would make a great looking Supercar.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 09:41 (Ref:3690692)   #55
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eye View Post
He ideally wants one yeah but has mentioned in the past that he wants factory support and to continue with his own team. For example he said no to the second Ford Focus RX saying that it was too much of a Ken Block team.

Interesting news from Swedish local newspaper VF, but also a bit concerning, is that VW Sweden RX for the moment is waiting a go for next year from VW Motorsport. There is some interest from Tommy Kristoffersson to do STCC, but WRX with VW is top priority. Second priority is WRX "in some form" if VW can't or won't support them since "there are other teams and manufactures also".
Old 24 Nov 2016, 12:45 (Ref:3690715)   #56
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Heard some sad rumors for WRX. Marklund Motorsport will pull out of WRX to do ERX and RallyX with Anton Marklund. Magda Andersson is rumored to be in a second car, thus the other rumor I posted on the Scirocco probably won't happen.

OMSE is apparently also pulling out of next years WRX because they are not supported by a manufacture, they will focus on GRC instead. Don't know about RallyX. However, there is small possibility that OMSE could be back in 2018 with Hondas.

Grid is looking smaller for WRX next year but ERX seems to be on the rise. I wonder how WRX will evolve over the next couple of years since ERX already has a stable ground and is a lot cheaper than WRX.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 14:01 (Ref:3690729)   #57
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks to me like its following the progression it was intended to take.
WRX will have manufacturer and big sponsor teams ie. Red Bull etc.. and ERX will become stronger as the supporting championship. Rallycross was always going to have a transitional period when WRX was introduced and I think whats happening is strong on both fronts. Just a shame the GRC seems to spoil things (in my opinion)
Old 24 Nov 2016, 14:43 (Ref:3690736)   #58
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1 View Post
It looks to me like its following the progression it was intended to take.
WRX will have manufacturer and big sponsor teams ie. Red Bull etc.. and ERX will become stronger as the supporting championship. Rallycross was always going to have a transitional period when WRX was introduced and I think whats happening is strong on both fronts. Just a shame the GRC seems to spoil things (in my opinion)
The problem is the WRX field is starting to look like it could be very thin on the ground. So for a 2 day event - if you lose a couple of cars to reliability / accident damage (if or when?) then you're left with a very sparse looking timetable. So more 'filler' crap - drift demos, rig riot etc etc and less actual racing.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 16:39 (Ref:3690764)   #59
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't mind thinner WRX grids with manufacturer quality PROVIDED THAT it is supported at every key European round (I.e. not Hockenheim) by the ERX supercar class. Surely that's the best way to keep the big boys happy, the ERX "budget" guys happy and the fans happy. If you look at the lap times, very few ERX drivers (pretty much just Kevin Hansen) regularly got in the top 10 WRX tines. So splitting these actually makes sense. Just give us more ERX rounds. Otherwise, like ypu say Bert, the non ERX rounds will be very thin indeed
Old 24 Nov 2016, 17:12 (Ref:3690767)   #60
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hickey +1

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 25 Nov 2016, 07:35 (Ref:3690872)   #61
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this is possibly a transition from teams like Larssons, Scott's and proper, full factory teams.

IMG want factory, they don't want Hansen running it, they want Peugeot in Paris running it!! They want VW in Hanover running their cars.

So the smaller guys like Tommy (smaller in money terms and budget only) who were able to compete now, are likely to be unable to find the money to run against full factory teams like Ford.

Making it so, so expensive is a dangerous step, as these guys were able to compete for a long time and win, but clearly money is tighter and you get little return. A manufacturer can soak that up perhaps. A Tommy K or Eriksson can't.

Clearly ERX needs to be at every round other than the pointless flyaways. Or someone needs to come in and tempt them away to something else, and no-one in rallycross has that kind of money
}
Sooner or later IMG are going to realise this isn't NASCAR you are not going to get a Toyota or Chevy built by 6 or 7 different teams.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 10:06 (Ref:3690890)   #62
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
I don't know if it is down to just the money for teams like OMSE and VW Sweden RX.

I would rather believe that Tommy K and OMSE wants a manufacture supporting them to make them competitive and to market them. Tommy K for example said in the VF article that he wanted more technical support from VW and maybe more support marketwise. Otherwise the future looked bright with big support from VW Sweden, but they needed more support to reach higher levels. With Marklund rumored to pull out, time will tell what happens.

OMSE is also a company that sell their cars. I don't know how many Fiestas they've built and the Lites must be bringing in some money as well. Saw an article a few months ago that they wanted to build a bigger workshop so business is probably going well.

If it is down to the money however, the costs is probably not worth what you are getting in the end unless it helps you get more sponsors.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 10:30 (Ref:3690896)   #63
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
THe issue is this.

If you are Ford or Peugeot you have technical people working to make the car better, that cost is theirs, not the teams, yes they will pay an overall fee, but Peugeot will be doing a lot fo work themselves as will Ford to speed development.

If you are a private team with dealer backing, they do not have factory engineers, just money. That's fine for a while, but when you are up against a full factory team who can offer ex WRC engineers and R&D techs, you have to go private to get that knowhow, and that costs a lot of money on top of what you are paying already for your staff.

Peugeot or Ford will provide a lot of those staff, VW or Audi in Ekky's case probably won't.

It's a clear divide that is starting to become more obvious in WRX, and it will only get bigger. Manufacturers rarely do anything but ruin series! Don't they ITC, WEC, DTM, BTCC lol. Needs to be managed very carefully, and do you see IMG doing anything carefully? Neither do I!
Old 25 Nov 2016, 12:42 (Ref:3690916)   #64
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If anyone is planning to go to Lydden next year then today is a good day to buy your ticket:

https://www.facebook.com/LyddenHillR...06592152685108

Half price weekend ticket if you buy before 5 PM today!
Old 25 Nov 2016, 15:07 (Ref:3690951)   #65
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
For sure WRX is progressing in a way so that in the long run manufactures will be what the series consists of. IMG wants them like you say and like many other motorsports the changes they bring are mostly not positive for the sport.

But at the moment it is only Ford that should be considered a manufacture with Peugeot-Hansen close behind.

My point was that as of now OMSE is somewhat competitive and Tommy K (especially) is competitive with Johan K fighting for second in the championship. They could run at least another season in my opinion.

Even if I am quite sure that the Ford Focus RX is the best car in rallycross now and gives a taste of what to come with manufactures that will probably have well developed and better cars, it is still down to the drivers right now in the different WRX teams. As time goes though, the gap between manufacture backed teams and "the other" teams will rise.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 16:01 (Ref:3690962)   #66
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
For sure WRX is progressing in a way so that in the long run manufactures will be what the series consists of.
But will they come? Realistically which manufacturers would be looking at rallycross currently? Let's say you need 20 cars for a viable championship. How many cars per team? 2? If so that's 10 manufacturers - no chance. Let's say 3 car teams - so that's still 7 manufacturers (ok so that gives us 1 car over the 20 but hey ho!). Still not realistic. 4 car teams? 5 manufacturers - maybe at some point possible but not short term.

In the meantime costs are going up and the privateers are dropping out, grids are falling - smaller grids = less interest = less reason for manufacturers to get involved = death of WRX
Old 25 Nov 2016, 18:49 (Ref:3690995)   #67
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.U. View Post
Pure speculation, but my guess is that we will see him in a Renault Clio .
Team up with his family in law (Walfridsson)?
Old 25 Nov 2016, 19:35 (Ref:3691008)   #68
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
That would be interesting but its a big jump from Renault helping Walfridsson out with the car to Petter being a works backed entry difference of about 3.8m euro at a guess
Old 25 Nov 2016, 20:15 (Ref:3691017)   #69
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
But will they come? Realistically which manufacturers would be looking at rallycross currently? Let's say you need 20 cars for a viable championship. How many cars per team? 2? If so that's 10 manufacturers - no chance. Let's say 3 car teams - so that's still 7 manufacturers (ok so that gives us 1 car over the 20 but hey ho!). Still not realistic. 4 car teams? 5 manufacturers - maybe at some point possible but not short term.

In the meantime costs are going up and the privateers are dropping out, grids are falling - smaller grids = less interest = less reason for manufacturers to get involved = death of WRX
Like you say the WRX grid is looking smaller right now for next year and if things continue like they do now WRX will come to an end.

It is a long shot that lots of manufactures will enter but who else can afford it? It dosen't necessarily need to be manufactures too, teams like Hansen could surely compete with the right backing. A manufacture got money and the costs in WRX (even if it is extremely expensive for being rallycross) is quite cheap compared to other motorsports on a international level.

If WRX became electric or had an electric class, manufactures could very well enter. I hope though that electric cars won't replace todays cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1 View Post
That would be interesting but its a big jump from Renault helping Walfridsson out with the car to Petter being a works backed entry difference of about 3.8m euro at a guess
I know for sure that Walfridson and Solberg won't do anything together. Besides from Solberg mentoring Lukas and giving advice, there is no agreement between the teams. Lukas however will do RallyX.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 20:18 (Ref:3691018)   #70
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Maybe. My guess was based on the rumours that Renault is interested in an involvement in World RX. It wouldn´t need too much money for them as PSRX is able to build a competitive car itself. And there is some kind of cooperation between Renault and Mercedes-Benz, so it wouldn´t completely rule out an involvement of Bertel O. Steen... But very much speculation .
Old 25 Nov 2016, 21:18 (Ref:3691035)   #71
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will consider Hansen-Peugeot as a factory team. Even back with Citroën Hansen shared technical data with the WRC team. And both probably benefit from each other. Now with Peugeot you even see the Director of Peugeot Sport on some events. It is still interesting to see how the first 208 looked like an R5 with WRX style spoiler when the second year looked more like a Hansen car. So I guess not everything R5/WRC works better than WRX tech.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 16:43 (Ref:3691172)   #72
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
IMO Hansen is also a real factory team.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 17:29 (Ref:3691186)   #73
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
According to a Swedish motorsport blogger, Solberg will drive a Hyundai next season.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 21:12 (Ref:3691241)   #74
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully in the WRX not the GRC! I like the Holte Hyundai
Old 27 Nov 2016, 17:08 (Ref:3691474)   #75
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
What about Hansen next season?
I assume Loeb will return.
Kevin Hansen full season WRX?