Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jan 2017, 09:11 (Ref:3703527)   #1
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Goodbye! At Last...

Well, seems the Poison Dwarf will soon be gone.

See here:

With this major US media outfit taking control, the old ethos of what was once the greatest sport in the history of our planet will finally be dead and buried.

What's next?

10 Litre engines?
Old 19 Jan 2017, 09:28 (Ref:3703531)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysFeltham View Post

See here:

With this major US media outfit taking control, the old ethos of what was once the greatest sport in the history of our planet will finally be dead and buried.

What's next?

10 Litre engines?
Interesting times ahead that is for sure. I won't be watching the races anyway once they are no longer free to air which will also probably lead me to lose what interest I have/had in the 'sport' anyway...
Old 19 Jan 2017, 09:46 (Ref:3703534)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
You will not get rid of him that easily.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3703557)   #4
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To be honest, is this any different than what we already knew? He will work in a transition capacity with no publicly known end date? Don't start the party just yet!

Richard
Old 19 Jan 2017, 15:26 (Ref:3703591)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
certainly there are issues with BE's tenure that bother me as well but my uncertainty about those who will fill the power vacuum outweighs my desire to see BE gone.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 16:54 (Ref:3703603)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I just hope Liberty Media will see the mistakes Bernie has made and try to rectify them
Old 19 Jan 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3703615)   #7
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I just hope Liberty Media will see the mistakes Bernie has made and try to rectify them
Indeed; lots and lots more ways to generate even larger revenue!

Barnum and Baileys writ larger.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3703627)   #8
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A bit more on the subject at Motorsport.com

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ec...-hands-866879/

I always suspected Bernie was not in favour of Liberty.
I can see a clash of well this is the way have done it for 40 years verses this is the way we need to do it in the future if we are to grow and make more money.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 19:40 (Ref:3703629)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think it's more a case of a modern approach to take the sport forward rather than focus on all the things that Bernie may have done wrong...
Old 19 Jan 2017, 20:16 (Ref:3703632)   #10
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysFeltham View Post
Makes little or no difference now, the evil deed was done years ago when CVC stepped in.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 22:17 (Ref:3703651)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Be careful what you wish for...

Besides the more important aspect is Liberty not CVC.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 22:28 (Ref:3703654)   #12
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
A bit more on the subject at Motorsport.com

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ec...-hands-866879/

I always suspected Bernie was not in favour of Liberty.
I can see a clash of well this is the way have done it for 40 years verses this is the way we need to do it in the future if we are to grow and make more money.
I think by definition BE was never part of the plan for Liberty. They clearly jump in saying things are going to change. If that is the case, you don't put the person in charge who did it the old way. He will exist for a period of time as some sort of security blanket. Then once Liberty has their feet under them he will be gone. I would be shocked if all of this hasn't been working out in advance anyhow.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 14:06 (Ref:3704063)   #13
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bernie is a bit like herpes, he just keeps coming back.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 14:12 (Ref:3704066)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Problem is he's never gone
Old 21 Jan 2017, 16:39 (Ref:3704087)   #15
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No doubt Liberty are in F1 to make money. There's nothing wrong with that. I just hope they intend to do it by making a bigger cake, and not just continuing the Ecclestone method of taking a bigger slice.

I'm uncomfortable about the possibility of Liberty turning F1 into some sort of All-American Superbowl Show that plays to the lowest common denominator. But for the moment we just have to wait and see.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 20:52 (Ref:3704117)   #16
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I can understand why people are critical of Bernie.I think the criticism is misdirected as he was only doing what his bosses at CVC required,namely making money that went into the CVC coffers.Given that he succeeded in their cause I see no reason why Liberty should seek to oust him as he is in possession of his faculties and knows more about the business than anybody else.In view if his advancing years I can see the logic of appointing somebody to shadow Bernie so that the business can carry on if he becomes incapacitated.I hope that doesn't happen for a long time as I get a lot of amusement from his comments and I wish he would commit his memoirs to a safe storage facility to be published a couple of years after his demise.It would be enlightening to know the whole story.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 21:13 (Ref:3704120)   #17
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Posted elsewhere, but just as valid here:

On the one hand, F1 wouldn't be where it is in world sport & business without Bernie.

On the other hand, F1 wouldn't be where it is in world sport & business without Bernie...
Old 21 Jan 2017, 21:17 (Ref:3704122)   #18
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Exactly Greem..He made a couple of bob over the years..
Old 21 Jan 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3704124)   #19
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post

I'm uncomfortable about the possibility of Liberty turning F1 into some sort of All-American Superbowl Show that plays to the lowest common denominator. But for the moment we just have to wait and see.
Which surely, is precisely what they will do?

The Poison Dwarf's money machine turbocharged.

So sadly, GP racing fell prey to the big money many years ago: once sponsors became involved, it was they, rather than the FIA calling the shots.

The unholy duopoly of Mosley at the FIA and Ecclestone, planned the demise of what had once been a sport.

I well remember Moss being interviewed on BBC radio quite some years ago, by a typical Beeb girlie, bubbling over with nonsensical waffling.

Sterling most graciously corrected her constant misuse of the word "Sport"; he said:

"Oh my dear, Formula One today is not a sport; and hasn't been for many years! It is a business; and a jolly good business, too! Michael Schumacher earns more in one week than I earned in my whole professional racing career!".

Probably, the crux point was reached when instead of regularly changing the regulations (To encourage and germinate advances), narrow self-interests (here read sponsors), threatened the FIA with boycotts etc on the single selfish "justification" of "The huge sums we have already invested".

Worth perhaps remembering how GP racing evolved post WWII.

Originally, older late 1930s cars were used of circa 4.5 Litre. Then the 2.5 Litre class became the standard. Spawning a magic early World Championship series of wonderful cars such as the Maserati 250F, Vanwall, Ferrari, Cooper et al.

This changed to 1.5 litre for the 1961 season until 1966; when engine size became max 3 Litre.

From the 1970s onwards it all became rather silly; from 1980 on it was purely and simply a business.

Which has followed the route of football, tennis and everything else.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3704125)   #20
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Good post. We should have a "like" button...
Old 21 Jan 2017, 21:51 (Ref:3704128)   #21
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Good post. We should have a "like" button...
We do, of sorts. It's the 'scales' thing in the left hand pane of each post (in the web view).
Old 22 Jan 2017, 01:02 (Ref:3704157)   #22
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
We do, of sorts. It's the 'scales' thing in the left hand pane of each post (in the web view).
Sadly, the reputation system here is not very intuitive to use.

Richard
Old 22 Jan 2017, 01:02 (Ref:3704158)   #23
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Posted elsewhere, but just as valid here:

On the one hand, F1 wouldn't be where it is in world sport & business without Bernie.

On the other hand, F1 wouldn't be where it is in world sport & business without Bernie...
Completely agree!

Richard
Old 22 Jan 2017, 04:09 (Ref:3704168)   #24
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Sadly, the reputation system here is not very intuitive to use.

Richard
Agree. Maybe if the scales could be changed to a thumbs up icon, more people would know what it's for and use it.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 04:16 (Ref:3704170)   #25
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt i'll be watching with much interest... it's been pretty dead to me for some time.

I just want simple cars, with simple aero, big tyres, and stupid power. I won't get any of that, don't really care to watch parade laps.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”