Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 30 Jan 2002, 15:19 (Ref:206529)   #1
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Soft walls

While browsing the NASCAR forum, I came across this topic, posted by Roselady3 four days ago. I reckon it is interesting reading for viewers of this forum as well.

Quote:
Tracks could get soft walls in three years
By LEN HAYWARD
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH - Soft-wall technology for superspeedways could be as close as three years away, said Brian Barnhart, Indy Racing League vice president for racing operations.

For nearly two years, the Indy Racing League has financed and participated in a soft-wall project at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln, and Barnhart said Tuesday that the project is progressing well.

Barnhart said the soft walls are a derivation of another layered system used on the inside of Turn 4 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 1998. Barnhart said that this system, though, has evolved beyond that.

"We had our latest test on Friday at Nebraska," Barnhart said during the Texas Motor Speedway 2002 Media Day. "We have made lots of gains and lots of progress. We are in the fine-tuning stages at this point in time."

The test on Friday was "IRL-15", the 15th time an IRL car had been pulled into the test wall at various speeds and angles.

The concerns about soft walls have been extensive cleanup after a car wrecks, and a car being caught in the wall and collecting other cars. Barnhart said those concerns have been addressed.

Soft-wall technology has become a hot-button issue over the past few years, especially in major stock-car racing in the wake of five deaths over the past three years. On Tuesday, NASCAR president Mike Helton said NASCAR has become involved in the project.

"We're closer than we've ever been," Helton said of soft walls. "We've turned up the wick on those elements and turned it up even more ... that's a big deal."
The parts about "extensive cleanup after a car wrecks" and "a car being caught in the wall and collecting other cars" represent the most vocal objections against soft walls that I have come across in my time as an advocate for soft walls. With these important factors now addressed, it looks like full implementation of soft walls on ovals and superspeedways could be just around the corner.
Old 30 Jan 2002, 19:57 (Ref:206802)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it has necessarily been a lack of technology issue as much as it is a cost issue. These systems are hideously expensive and must be repaired when damaged. Most tracks cannot afford to purchase these systems and not pass along the multi-million dollar expenses on to the paying customer fan. Already auto races are becoming too expensive for many fans to attend and raising the prices makes that worse.

I think that the series that use the circuits must bear some portion of the cost as well. Fontana is used by NASCAR, CART, GARRC, and now the IRL as well this year and all of these bodies have a vested interest in keeping their stars alive and well and racing the next week. This they need to help subsidize some of the cost of the systems as well.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 05:39 (Ref:219910)   #3
mr-indy77
Rookie

mr-indy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Soft walls? Why don't we just put all of the drivers in a tower and run there cars by remote control. This is what seperates the men from the wanabees. Yes it is tragic when a driver loses there life, don't get me wrong. But let's not take it to far. Racing is about all about risk management. The risk is what makes it exciting. It does not take much skill to bounce off rubber walls.....if I want to see that kind of racing I'll go down t the local go kart putt-putt track.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 07:10 (Ref:219927)   #4
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But if we make the cars and tracks safer, the safety police will let us go faster, which is why we are doing this in the first place. The safety crusade has caused the emasculation of the sport. So instead of making the racing safer by making it lamer, let's make it safer by making it safer. And then we can let them go like hell.