Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 24 Apr 2016, 13:57 (Ref:3636050)   #10301
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I also find it strange and ironic that the enhanced mobility LMP2 car that Audi are supporting for LM is a Pescarolo/Morgan with a Nissan engine in it, especially after the threats of lawsuits and countersuits between Audi and Nissan over the use of the Q name being part of each companies' SUV line ups and is now used for Infiniti sedans.
Let's not forget that the Porsche 911 was originally designated the 901 until Peugeot vetoed the use of the name. Strange, the things that big manufacturers get their knickers in a twist about.
Old 24 Apr 2016, 17:22 (Ref:3636098)   #10302
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the new R18 have air conditioning? I wonder if it could be related to the cooling of batteries or something else. The first R18 didn't have, I don't know about the recent versions.
Old 24 Apr 2016, 17:47 (Ref:3636101)   #10303
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ederss7 View Post
Does the new R18 have air conditioning? I wonder if it could be related to the cooling of batteries or something else. The first R18 didn't have, I don't know about the recent versions.
Air conditioning as in controlling cockpit temperature? All coupes are mandated to have that now (and IIRC have been for a while, originally the 908 was allowed a slightly larger restrictor than the R10 so it could incorporate air con without losing power...) so the R18 would definitely have it.
Old 24 Apr 2016, 18:58 (Ref:3636109)   #10304
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
That could explain why there's no air intake on the windshield. But the doors have exit ducts/louvers. In the case, something goes out, but how does it get in?
Old 25 Apr 2016, 00:03 (Ref:3636168)   #10305
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I'm not mistaken, the first R18 had a ventilation system that could keep temperatures low enough, so Audi didn't need to use air conditioning.
Old 25 Apr 2016, 01:06 (Ref:3636173)   #10306
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
That's what the holes in the rear deck above the engine were for as well as the windshield air intakes. The new R18 doesn't seem to have either, and the inlet in the nose box is too small to cool the hybrid system/power steering and provide much air circulation past the stuff that's near the front wheel centerline IMO.
Old 25 Apr 2016, 12:45 (Ref:3636242)   #10307
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
In the Motor Fan Illustrated technical seminar,
Hiroshi Yuchi (Toyota Techno Craft, Ex-Chief designer of Strakka Dome S103) analyzed the monocoque shape of 2016 spec R18.
http://serakota.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2016-04-25

*R18 introduced high nose, so the monocoque roof must be the square shape because of the frontal view template regulations.
*Door hinges of R18 might be installed in the roof to make the cross-sectional area of the monocoque smaller.
*Strakka Dome S103 had originally the design which installs door hinge in the roof to make cross-sectional area of monocoque smaller.
Old 25 Apr 2016, 13:30 (Ref:3636253)   #10308
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
That's what the holes in the rear deck above the engine were for as well as the windshield air intakes. The new R18 doesn't seem to have either, and the inlet in the nose box is too small to cool the hybrid system/power steering and provide much air circulation past the stuff that's near the front wheel centerline IMO.
It could well be that the cockpit cooling air intake(s) is(are) now located under the nose, below the driver's legs. The below picture published in RCE's recent article on the R18 doesn't show much in that respect, except making it reasonably clear that cockpit cooling is unlikely to be routed through the nose:

BTW, one may actually wonder how the front MGU which sits rearward of the power steering is actually cooled. Looking at the picture, and considering that the MGU apparently sits low in the monocoque structure (based on the location of the drive shafts), it may well be that a cooling inlet is provided on the underside of the monocoque structure just in front of where the MGU is located.

Last edited by MyNameIsNigel; 25 Apr 2016 at 13:38.
Old 26 Apr 2016, 19:59 (Ref:3636532)   #10309
WhatIsWatt
Rookie

WhatIsWatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The R18 does not have an air conditioning system, it would be too big and heavy and the regulations are quite relaxed when it comes to cockpit temperature. Sufficient cooling can be achieved just by directing ambient air and using small fans inside the cockpit.

The MGU is, as in all LMP1 cars, water-cooled and does not need a cooling inlet.
Old 26 Apr 2016, 20:36 (Ref:3636545)   #10310
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatIsWatt View Post
The R18 does not have an air conditioning system, it would be too big and heavy and the regulations are quite relaxed when it comes to cockpit temperature. Sufficient cooling can be achieved just by directing ambient air and using small fans inside the cockpit.

The MGU is, as in all LMP1 cars, water-cooled and does not need a cooling inlet.
The regulations are quite lax as they talk to "maximum" cockpit temperatures when the car is moving and are generally a fixed amount (7 C) above ambient with no top end cap on very hot days. They don't say the car must have an active air conditioning system. If normal airflow in/out works then that is all the regulations require. Do the drivers wear cool suits when the ambient temp is high?

However... even if components are liquid/water cooled, the heat has to be rejected somewhere, so there is going to be a water to air radiator and related inlet/outlet for air somewhere.

Richard
Old 28 Apr 2016, 10:49 (Ref:3636870)   #10311
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Audi LMP1 Discussion

So I've been dealing with a customer at work all day who's name isn't Chris Reinke but is very similar so I've started calling him Chris Reinke because every time I see his name I think of Chris Reinke of Audi fame lol

He's corrected me a few times and yet I haven't stopped mixing the two names up.

Nearly as bad as when I was in uni and we had a Learning Management System (LMS) no guesses what I could only think of when that topic popped up
Old 29 Apr 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3637126)   #10312
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I know that this has been talked about in the Toyota thread, but did Audi manage to use 6th gear at all at Silverstone? If not, then I'd argue that Audi overgeared their car excepting the more unique aspects of Silverstone (mostly fast corners, very few slow corners, and short straights compared to most other WEC tracks). Even with a 6 speed, Silverstone is probably a hard track to set up gearing for. I wonder how Audi did it in 2013. Of course, Audi also have a ton more hybrid power than in 2013-15.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 16:53 (Ref:3637151)   #10313
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if is true as someone else here stated that this year audi has a 6 speed gear box, very likely 6th will be upshifted only >300km/h... we could see it only at le mans, spa and fuji maybe.
Last season I remeber at spa #7 and #8 were able to reach top speeds close to 310km/h at the end of kammel straight, and according to onboard telemetry both of them were in 6th. If next week, both audi's will remain in 5th with a speed close to 300km/h, well... surely there isn't a 7th for them.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 17:13 (Ref:3637162)   #10314
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't use 6th gear. A telemetry from the 2012 race shows that they use short gears and therefore the 6th.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 20:21 (Ref:3637207)   #10315
WhatIsWatt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
However... even if components are liquid/water cooled, the heat has to be rejected somewhere, so there is going to be a water to air radiator and related inlet/outlet for air somewhere.
No, the radiator sits in the sidepod like the engine radiators do. It does not make sense to put them in the cockpit for various reasons.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 20:28 (Ref:3637208)   #10316
WhatIsWatt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
if is true as someone else here stated that this year audi has a 6 speed gear box, very likely 6th will be upshifted only >300km/h... we could see it only at le mans, spa and fuji maybe.
Last season I remeber at spa #7 and #8 were able to reach top speeds close to 310km/h at the end of kammel straight, and according to onboard telemetry both of them were in 6th. If next week, both audi's will remain in 5th with a speed close to 300km/h, well... surely there isn't a 7th for them.
Audi does only run 6 gears this year, see http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/...-16032205.html
Old 29 Apr 2016, 20:58 (Ref:3637216)   #10317
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Audi does only run 6 gears this year, see http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/...-16032205.html
well, premising that my life doesn't change if audi gb has 6, 7 or 2 speeds... I usually don't trust official figures claims, but again very likely this year audi has 6 speed. Peace.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 22:31 (Ref:3637234)   #10318
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
No, the radiator sits in the sidepod like the engine radiators do. It does not make sense to put them in the cockpit for various reasons.
Actually we agree. I am not sure where you felt I said the radiator would be inside the cockpit? That makes absolutely no sense. Why dump heat into the cockpit?

My point was that just because something is water cooled doesn't mean it doesn't need to radiate the heat into something. And the only "something" is the air around the car (short of having a box of ice water like for a cool suit). So there are one or more water to air heat exchanges (aka radiators) and related paths for air (ie. inlet/outlet vents). As you say... in the sidepod is a good place as any. But sometimes there are separate vents vs everything using one. Which I think was the original question... which hasn't been answer!

Richard
Old 29 Apr 2016, 22:38 (Ref:3637236)   #10319
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Audi trying to get more favorable rules for their diesel in the new regs? http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/m...-11068459.html Seems they feel 10mj for petrol would leave them behind since adding more hybrid would make them overweight. I'd say try a smaller engine.
Old 30 Apr 2016, 01:40 (Ref:3637259)   #10320
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I'd say get rid of EOT and the ERS incentive. Only way that Audi can go smaller is if they run a gasoline engine, and Audi are more or less confirmed to be running a diesel engine until at least 2020. This is partially forced by Porsche running a gasoline engine.

Diesel engines have to be heavier because of them using compression ignition vs spark ignition. There's a big difference between using an electrical spark to ignite an air/fuel mixture vs compressing it until it explodes.

The rules in racing over the years have started to kill the variety in powertrain design anyways. Where was all this complaint about one engine type being dominant over another when Audi were the only ones seriously running a LMP900 with a forced induction engine with the R8, let alone DFI?
Old 30 Apr 2016, 03:57 (Ref:3637271)   #10321
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ERS incentive ambush is already appalling as a bad example. It should've been get rid of long time ago.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using Tapatalk
Old 30 Apr 2016, 07:59 (Ref:3637283)   #10322
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without ERS incentive it would make no sense to go for a big hybrid class. It would be better just to save the weight and go for a bigger and more efficient engine and and have more weight to put as ballast. Also the burden of a hybrid failure would be much smaller.
Old 30 Apr 2016, 08:07 (Ref:3637284)   #10323
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Keep the ERS incentive. Get rid of the KTF. Ensure a proper "balance of weight" between diesel and petrol engines. And let them race.
Old 30 Apr 2016, 09:27 (Ref:3637294)   #10324
carbon_titanium
Veteran

agree, without ERS incentice, it simply doesn't make sense the actual tech rules!
maybe audi too should follow f1 engine manufacturers chimera... and project a gasoline engine that basically works as a diesel (injection pressure so insanely high that gasoline won't need sparks for the ignition)
Old 30 Apr 2016, 11:12 (Ref:3637307)   #10325
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Clearly some of you don't understand what ERS classes are. It actually gives less engine power the higher the class, but some of you insist that it would be better performance vise to run just a dead ballast, what a bullshit.

Just give all the teams 120 MJ of fuel per lap, fuel flow restriction and min weight and then just wait and see what happens. Oh wait, then ACO would be totally of of control, oh no