Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Jun 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3093791)   #1551
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Mike View Post
I have heard that inky has followed the geoff short safety car moto and bought a merc wreck for the engine for nzv8.
where did a majority of the 304 engines come from for the past Holden runners? pretty sure Holden NZ didn't have bunch of them sitting in a warehouse collecting dust
Old 18 Jun 2012, 02:26 (Ref:3093901)   #1552
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
They have yet to run a car in new specs, they couldn't get parity right over two makes.
By "they" do you mean the board members that went across to V8ST?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 06:09 (Ref:3093935)   #1553
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
All i see in this thread is sarcasm and assumptions. The NZV8 may or may not get off the ground this season after being ambushed, but we will just have to wait and see. I still got the V8SC to look forward to.
Are the V8SC still racing in NZ in the future?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3094019)   #1554
Oreti kid
Racer

New Zealand
Toowoomba
Oreti kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Premier Class or Economy Class

whilst i accept the fore going discussions RE: rolling starts/handicaps,I keep coming back to the question: Is this meant to be NZ's PREMIER Class? if so then if you can't afford to compete then so be it. are trying to over cheapen and over parity the whole game. lets have some space for innovation and ability. not everyone was born equal(thank god) and so those with either better driving skills or engineering skills will win on the day. Handicap Races and reverse grids are dangerous and a menace.
I would much rather watch 12 quality entrants than 24 also runs or Mr average.

My humble opinion
Old 18 Jun 2012, 11:18 (Ref:3094056)   #1555
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreti kid View Post

Is this meant to be NZ's PREMIER Class? ........ I would much rather watch 12 quality entrants than 24 also runs or Mr average.
Will you get "12 quality entrants" in the New Generation NZV8 class in the 2012/13 season?

This goes back to my question in post #1522 to which there doesn't seem to be an answer as of yet :

How many new generation NZV8 cars will there be in the 2012/13 season?

I've heard (unsubstantiated) that between 3 and 5 have been sold but I presume they will need quite a few more than this to make up a credible grid. The MSNZ Gold Star Championship minimum criteria is 15 entrants in 75% of the Series rounds.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 19:50 (Ref:3094316)   #1556
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreti kid View Post
so then if you can't afford to compete then so be it. are trying to over cheapen and over parity the whole game. lets have some space for innovation and ability. not everyone was born equal(thank god) and so those with either better driving skills or engineering skills will win on the day. Handicap Races and reverse grids are dangerous and a menace.
I would much rather watch 12 quality entrants than 24 also runs or Mr average.

My humble opinion
I concur with your thoughts and the section quoted is really what motor racing across all fields is all about but in saying that, as much as I don't really like them there is in some starter classes and historic or classic racing classes room for a handicap race as part of the days program.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3094333)   #1557
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
Will you get "12 quality entrants" in the New Generation NZV8 class in the 2012/13 season?

This goes back to my question in post #1522 to which there doesn't seem to be an answer as of yet :

How many new generation NZV8 cars will there be in the 2012/13 season?

I've heard (unsubstantiated) that between 3 and 5 have been sold but I presume they will need quite a few more than this to make up a credible grid. The MSNZ Gold Star Championship minimum criteria is 15 entrants in 75% of the Series rounds.
actually you've asked the question more than once (more like 50 times) obviously the number of drivers competing haven't been announced as the number of drivers competing having been confirmed at this stage.

btw the old gen cars are still part of the championship.. so even if 15 new gen cars don't line up at the 1st round.. it doesn't mean there won't be 15 entrants lined up.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3094376)   #1558
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thanks for that Promax, looks like we have a series then.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3094397)   #1559
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
just stating the obvious

i could ask over and over and over for a 2012/13 TRS entrants list.. and the answer would be the same.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3094495)   #1560
supercar_freek
Rookie

supercar_freek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote form http://www.nzv8s.co.nz
The V8 category will be battling for two Gold Star Championships this coming season, one for the current model of Ford and Holden and one for the new generation NZV8 cars which currently encapsulates Ford, Holden and Toyota.
Doesnt that mean that they need 30 cars. 15 for each of the Gold star championships?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 00:51 (Ref:3094497)   #1561
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
nice spotting freek!

while the class is broken up into old and new cars.. i thought the overall winner was meant to be the gold star winner.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 00:56 (Ref:3094498)   #1562
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
actually you've asked the question more than once (more like 50 times) obviously the number of drivers competing haven't been announced as the number of drivers competing having been confirmed at this stage.

btw the old gen cars are still part of the championship.. so even if 15 new gen cars don't line up at the 1st round.. it doesn't mean there won't be 15 entrants lined up.
Well Promax, at least we have worked out that counting was not your best subject at school

I would have thought that in order to be an entrant for the New Generation NZV8 you would have firstly have to buy a chassis from MSNZ (who own the jigs and IP) - so on that basis, it should be pretty straight forward to determine how many chassis have been sold??

The amalgamation of the new and old NZV8 cars to make up the magic 15 entrants in order to constitute a compliant Gold Star Championship Series is not valid. There are two separate and distinct championships planned :

See MSNZ President's statement of 6 June "This season will see the start of the transition from our older NZV8 and the new NZV8 Touring Car. There will be championships for both classes.". Also see MSP media release of 23 May "The V8 category will be battling for two Gold Star Championships this coming season, one for the current model of Ford and Holden and one for the new generation NZV8 cars."

Each of the classes need to get 15 entrants to qualify for a Gold Star Championship status - you can't orchestrate compliance by adding the entrants of two different classes together.

It would be really good if there could be 15+ New Generation NZV8 cars with star drivers running in the 2012/13 season but so far no-one had made any definitive statements as to how many cars can be realistically expected.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 01:05 (Ref:3094500)   #1563
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
you're a bit slow there rog... sc_freek had already to the punch. but unlike you.. he didn't have to resort to insults

btw my fav subject was geography
Old 19 Jun 2012, 01:15 (Ref:3094501)   #1564
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
It would be really good if there could be 15+ New Generation NZV8 cars with star drivers running in the 2012/13 season but so far no-one had made any definitive statements as to how many cars can be realistically expected.
"Speaking with Mitchell Race Xtreme’s (MRX) Derek Mitchell earlier in the week, there are five chassis which are in various stages of completion.

Further chassis are on the built schedule which currently allows for another seven to be completed in time for Taupo’s championship opener in December."

happy now rog?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 01:43 (Ref:3094510)   #1565
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
"Speaking with Mitchell Race Xtreme’s (MRX) Derek Mitchell earlier in the week, there are five chassis which are in various stages of completion.

Further chassis are on the built schedule which currently allows for another seven to be completed in time for Taupo’s championship opener in December."

happy now rog?
Thanks Promax - looks like five sold and the ability to build another seven before December - assuming they find buyers for them?

BTW - surprised you thought there was an insult as no insult intended - just flippantly responding to the exaggeration with your "more like 50 times" comment.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 03:32 (Ref:3094537)   #1566
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

happy now rog?
so if my maths is correct, with 5 being built, and spots in the calendar for another 7, there was only ever planned to have 12 built prior to Rd1? and does "completed in time" mean "completed in time for the car to have its team specific bits added and then a shake down by the team" prior to Rd1?

bit short of 15...
Old 19 Jun 2012, 06:14 (Ref:3094572)   #1567
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
let's see.. the FG is complete (although with the old engine/trans), 2 Toyotas are being built, plus a VE for Ross, Tulloch have a VE.. their 2nd car hasn't been confirmed yet.

that's 5, right?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 06:27 (Ref:3094579)   #1568
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
let's see.. the FG is complete (although with the old engine/trans), 2 Toyotas are being built, plus a VE for Ross, Tulloch have a VE.. their 2nd car hasn't been confirmed yet.

that's 5, right?
No doubt you are right Promax, you seem to have the numbers most of the time. But 5 (or 7) is buggar all, and not enough to justify a true championship. So i wish the NZV8s all the best with filling the grid as best they can come december, otherwise we will have a repeat of last season with such few cars (and in some cases not enough to make up a proper grid). I have heard that it is the intention to have 25+ cars on the grid this season, whether that be all new next-gen cars or a combination i dont know, but would imagine it will be a combination of old and new. Which means that a large number of orders need to placed ASAP to get 15 of the next gen cars there for december, or one could argue that the 'gold star' championship for the new car is pointless.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 06:39 (Ref:3094584)   #1569
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

that's 5, right?
ahhh so MRX aren't the sole supplier of chassis then?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 07:17 (Ref:3094599)   #1570
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
just stating the obvious

i could ask over and over and over for a 2012/13 TRS entrants list.. and the answer would be the same.
Totally agree with you. This is the smartest thing you have said.
Someone please explain clearly why this was allowed to go on.

Retorical question really. Big fat Toyota cheque book. I sure their involvement in the NZV8's won't be similarly tainted.
The sport's administration have been in denial for too long and the commercial tie up with promoter is disgraceful.

It would be sad to think that because TRS was allowed to carry on that it sets a precedent.
On a brighter note, prospective (overseas) drivers should line up outside Fowlkes office and lobby for a subsidised drive.
That's one way to get a grid and one they are accustomed to

When I was a young lad growing up I was taught that two wrongs don't make a ...
Old 19 Jun 2012, 08:24 (Ref:3094641)   #1571
kiwiracer
Rookie

kiwiracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Toyota are funding the Camy, but I may be wrong?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 08:29 (Ref:3094643)   #1572
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
ahhh so MRX aren't the sole supplier of chassis then?
not unless something has changed?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3094656)   #1573
Sidewayz
Rookie

Sidewayz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
not unless something has changed?
Nothing has changed. MRX are the only suppliers for the new chassis and most of the bits hanging off of it.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 08:46 (Ref:3094657)   #1574
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
Totally agree with you. This is the smartest thing you have said.
Someone please explain clearly why this was allowed to go on.

Retorical question really. Big fat Toyota cheque book. I sure their involvement in the NZV8's won't be similarly tainted.
The sport's administration have been in denial for too long and the commercial tie up with promoter is disgraceful.

It would be sad to think that because TRS was allowed to carry on that it sets a precedent.
On a brighter note, prospective (overseas) drivers should line up outside Fowlkes office and lobby for a subsidised drive.
That's one way to get a grid and one they are accustomed to

When I was a young lad growing up I was taught that two wrongs don't make a ...
TRS survives because the days of running per event and quickfire week after week works for funded young up and comers to gain mega experience for the northern hemisphere season...if any of you take the time to check the international results from around the world you will see that most of them from this past TRS season are doing very well(ironically except for cassidy)...almost every driver from TRS this year has a gig whether in formula car or gt racing.......back in the 80's and 90's we did 5 or 6 on the trot every january,so nothing new there...
surely its a bit early to Bag toyota for supporting another class of nz motorsport...shouldnt that be applauded.
and while on the subject of numbers...v8SC were happy to have 10 f3 cars on their bill at darwin and less at Tasmania..we are fixated on 15 cars for nzv8 ....i guess the rules must state that somewhere ....but seriously with the split and starting from scratch is gonna take time....seems to me that most of the criticism is magnified because of the hatred for MNZ hierarchy.(mnz and TMC/msp).
if any of the expert wannabe's out there know of any real life racers you will probably know that this year 2012/13 is gonna be no better for finding money.........which will ultimately be the biggest reason for smaller grids outside the classes full of lifestyle older racers.
just my opinion
Old 19 Jun 2012, 09:29 (Ref:3094686)   #1575
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
TRS survives because the days of running per event and quickfire week after week works for funded young up and comers to gain mega experience for the northern hemisphere season...if any of you take the time to check the international results from around the world you will see that most of them from this past TRS season are doing very well(ironically except for cassidy)...almost every driver from TRS this year has a gig whether in formula car or gt racing.......back in the 80's and 90's we did 5 or 6 on the trot every january,so nothing new there...
surely its a bit early to Bag toyota for supporting another class of nz motorsport...shouldnt that be applauded.
and while on the subject of numbers...v8SC were happy to have 10 f3 cars on their bill at darwin and less at Tasmania..we are fixated on 15 cars for nzv8 ....i guess the rules must state that somewhere ....but seriously with the split and starting from scratch is gonna take time....seems to me that most of the criticism is magnified because of the hatred for MNZ hierarchy.(mnz and TMC/msp).
if any of the expert wannabe's out there know of any real life racers you will probably know that this year 2012/13 is gonna be no better for finding money.........which will ultimately be the biggest reason for smaller grids outside the classes full of lifestyle older racers.
just my opinion
Yes the GFC is no friend of motorsport. Not to be confused the GC though, my wife watches that...