Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 25 Sep 2014, 13:06 (Ref:3457547)   #26
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Way to early to look at the forecast. Worst day looks to be Friday and that's only 40%.
I know but beats gripping about the series and gets me interested in trackside talk. And the forecast two days out around here is almost useless as well. 40% one place means 1000% just down the road.

joeb, sorry for me keeping it real, but it'll be beautiful for a bit and a little wet for a bit. It is PLM, after all.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 13:27 (Ref:3457555)   #27
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
scottypinthemix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I know but beats gripping about the series and gets me interested in trackside talk. And the forecast two days out around here is almost useless as well. 40% one place means 1000% just down the road.

joeb, sorry for me keeping it real, but it'll be beautiful for a bit and a little wet for a bit. It is PLM, after all.

I don't mind a little rain. It seems inevitable PLM week. It rained everyday last year and (maybe not Wed.) it wasn't bad. The only thing that sucked was the rain on Thursday pretty much wiped out night practice.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 14:23 (Ref:3457571)   #28
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottypinthemix View Post
I don't mind a little rain. It seems inevitable PLM week. It rained everyday last year and (maybe not Wed.) it wasn't bad. The only thing that sucked was the rain on Thursday pretty much wiped out night practice.
Agreed, on little rain and the disappointment of night practice being a little damp.

The way the GA did things at Road ATL last year, with completely cancelling a practice session for a "damp" track, has me hoping for dry, dry, dry.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 23:15 (Ref:3457683)   #29
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The way the GA did things at Road ATL last year, with completely cancelling a practice session for a "damp" track, has me hoping for dry, dry, dry.
That just means we'll get to see Boris and Sean turn laps by themselves again. Sean was tearing through the field in the rain at the Mitty last spring in that 914.

The 10 day on weatherbug has changed at least 10 times since yesterday, back to only a slight chance of rain fri. I'm just hoping for no rain Tues afternoon, sitting in the truck in the rain will suck and it's a new truck so no cigars inside it yet. Or Wed, setting up the homestead wouldn't be fun in the rain. I'll be bringing 2 bales of straw and two full rain suits for my anti-rain attempts.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 15:01 (Ref:3457844)   #30
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
That just means we'll get to see Boris and Sean turn laps by themselves again. Sean was tearing through the field in the rain at the Mitty last spring in that 914.

The 10 day on weatherbug has changed at least 10 times since yesterday, back to only a slight chance of rain fri. I'm just hoping for no rain Tues afternoon, sitting in the truck in the rain will suck and it's a new truck so no cigars inside it yet. Or Wed, setting up the homestead wouldn't be fun in the rain. I'll be bringing 2 bales of straw and two full rain suits for my anti-rain attempts.
Ha! The "Boris session"!

The weatherbug app changed the forecast for today 10 times in the last hour. Give me the Mellish Meter.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 22:14 (Ref:3457967)   #31
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
Quote:
Give me the Mellish Meter.
LOL.

we need saturday to be a 10! (ding ding ding)
Old 26 Sep 2014, 23:22 (Ref:3457979)   #32
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottypinthemix View Post
LOL.

we need saturday to be a 10! (ding ding ding)
As long as the idiots on NBC don't give it an 11, nothing like the fog and clouds yesterday to make the day 'perfect.'

Looks like we better really anti-rain dance or spin the wheel a few more times, weatherbug has cycled around to rain again tonight.
Old 27 Sep 2014, 15:42 (Ref:3458123)   #33
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
I like this one. I'm cool if it would not change.

Old 27 Sep 2014, 17:45 (Ref:3458151)   #34
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alex Job was testing yesterday. There's about 10 RV's in line. They have them in the grass over by the "will call" building. Chin Motorsports is having a track day event there this weekend. It sounds like some GT3's/GTD's are taking advantage of that for some cheap testing.
Old 27 Sep 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3458159)   #35
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
In line already?! I like it.

Forecast ever changing. Still looking workable.
Old 27 Sep 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3458174)   #36
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Damn, but at least it's just RVs. Plus it's easier staying in line for 4 extra days with power, ac, tv and a decent bed, we'll see how good a bed Ram makes in their trucks.

I'm thinking under the oak again, those who want inside can camp inside but I liked cooking and still seeing the action especially for breakfast. Plus there's a lot more flat there and I get there first.

Current forecast wheel has landed on:

apparently tenths hates google drive,

Wed 80 mostly sun
Thurs 80 mostly sun
Fri 78 partly sun
Sat 75 sun
Sun 72 sun

Last edited by broadrun96; 27 Sep 2014 at 19:58.
Old 27 Sep 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3458209)   #37
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't care as long as i have a place to be. I will be there as early as I can, but yall know how that goes. Generator is purring like a kitten right now
Old 28 Sep 2014, 17:51 (Ref:3458407)   #38
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I'm thinking under the oak again, those who want inside can camp inside but I liked cooking and still seeing the action especially for breakfast. Plus there's a lot more flat there and I get there first.
Perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I don't care as long as i have a place to be. I will be there as early as I can, but yall know how that goes. Generator is purring like a kitten right now
All standards. I'll meet you at Zaxby's for a late lunch and hold the flashlight while you cuss the genny

I will be doing my best to leave after I dump the kids off at school, but will do my food shopping on the way...
Old 28 Sep 2014, 19:17 (Ref:3458417)   #39
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll be arriving at dusk on Wednesday, slightly dazed and partially confused. As long as I have a flattish spot to put a tent I'll be happy.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 21:31 (Ref:3458442)   #40
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Perfect!
All standards. I'll meet you at Zaxby's for a late lunch and hold the flashlight while you cuss the genny
No, no. It ran perfectly for an hour yesterday with a light load. She's all better this year.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 23:47 (Ref:3458471)   #41
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
No, no. It ran perfectly for an hour yesterday with a light load. She's all better this year.
Get that good gas in it, if it ran on mix I'd bring some of the VP ethanol-free mix we run in all the equipment at the shop now. Yeah, we actually mail-order VP by the pallet to avoid ethanol, since both Stihl and Echo recommend it.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3458623)   #42
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Guy on Facebook is already in line, number 44 at 11 am on Monday. Guess attendance at the track isn't hurting too much this year already, tomorrow afternoon for me hoping I'm not too far back in line.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3458645)   #43
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Guy on Facebook is already in line, number 44 at 11 am on Monday. Guess attendance at the track isn't hurting too much this year already, tomorrow afternoon for me hoping I'm not too far back in line.
I have been wondering how much of the general crowd even knows what series is racing. All they see advertised is Petit Le Mans, they might not even know of the merger or the new series name. And personally, I don't think it matters. The number of fans at the track makes it fun, the racing IQ of all the attendees is secondary.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 18:08 (Ref:3458656)   #44
Tspires
Rookie

Tspires should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello veterans, I am a Road Atlanta rookie. I will be tent/hammock camping with my twin, gearhead 14 year old boys. Looking for trackside campsite suggestions. We are veterans at Mid Ohio and have heard nothing but great things about RA. We will be arriving Wednesday evening and are looking for a noisy, trackside spot for two tents and a hammock (trees required!). Thanks in advance.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 18:26 (Ref:3458660)   #45
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspires View Post
Hello veterans, I am a Road Atlanta rookie. I will be tent/hammock camping with my twin, gearhead 14 year old boys. Looking for trackside campsite suggestions. We are veterans at Mid Ohio and have heard nothing but great things about RA. We will be arriving Wednesday evening and are looking for a noisy, trackside spot for two tents and a hammock (trees required!). Thanks in advance.
Plenty of trees to chose from but trees close to the track will probably be taken by Wednesday evening.

If you are seriously looking to hangout in the hammock and see the track in the loudest possible way, behind the comfort station at Turn 5 has got your name all over it. It is NOT FLAT, by any stretch of the imagination but the trees are high up on the hill and as the rear facing exhausted cars go up the T5 hill, you are bombarded by the noise. Decent viewing spot as well, with close access to Spectator Hill. Just extremely loud and nowhere near level. I did my first PLM there in a tent, and woke up in a ball on the low side off the tent with a river of water running through it.

You could also join scottypinthemix outside 10A/B for trackside trees and the inside of 10 A/B has HJJ and trees.

We've seen many people camping in the "Road ATL Forrest" recently, so if the trackside portion doesn't work, you can get the wooded experience as well.

We like T4 camping because of the close proximity to the paddock and the ease of walking from T1 all the way to T5. There are a few trees that could work there but i don't think they are close enough to string a hammock.

Road ATL is extremely accessible and a great venue to watch anything. I need to get to Mid-Ohio one day.....
Old 29 Sep 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3458662)   #46
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I have been wondering how much of the general crowd even knows what series is racing. All they see advertised is Petit Le Mans, they might not even know of the merger or the new series name. And personally, I don't think it matters. The number of fans at the track makes it fun, the racing IQ of all the attendees is secondary.
Capt Martini has forgotten more about Races at Road ATL they all of us here know combined. He and I'd say about a dozen other groups go to EVERY event at the track. I've run into plenty of "North GA Race Fans" at PLM that know Road ATL has one big event every year and they go to it no matter what the series is.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3458672)   #47
HJJ
Veteran

United States
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If your local to the ATL, don't forget the pre-Petit party at Taco Mac/Mall of Georgia on Tuesday night starting at 7:00 PM for a chance to meet your favorite drivers.

Gawd, that sounds like a PR person wrote that.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 19:27 (Ref:3458674)   #48
HJJ
Veteran

United States
On another note, need to confirm a day/time but hope to have a Q & A session with a driver that has won in a few different classes in sports car racing.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3458681)   #49
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Think that's our neighbors in the soft side apache, they are there every event they said, and she didn't know much about the cars but they would always be there when the track's open.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 21:32 (Ref:3458714)   #50
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
If your local to the ATL, don't forget the pre-Petit party at Taco Mac/Mall of Georgia on Tuesday night starting at 7:00 PM for a chance to meet your favorite drivers.
Good call. Thanks for the reminder!