Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Apr 2001, 13:51 (Ref:86541)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 in 1982

Just watched the video, a truely tragic year but some brilliant racing which makes today looks rubbish..

It's worth watching just to see how safety has improved, cars falling apart, cars in the crowd and some lucky escapes..
Old 29 Apr 2001, 19:23 (Ref:86749)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

Was that the year when Dr Jonathon Palmer had his off at Enna? If so, I remember his graphic account relating how he instructed the medics to insert the necessary saline drips etc. Awful when viewed by today's standards but the norm then.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 29 Apr 2001 at 19:23.
Old 30 Apr 2001, 01:45 (Ref:86876)   #3
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You don't think that kind of medical care was the norm, do you?

It very much depends on what country you're in..

the GP Medical unit, with everything that opens and shuts, had been going over a decade by then.
Old 30 Apr 2001, 07:26 (Ref:86912)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ray,

I have read Professor Watkins' story and his contribution is amazing. However I also recall the accident to Laffite at Brands Hatch in the mid eighties. Even then it was a long time before he was removed from the car. I can compare that with the Schumacher crash at Silverstone 99 both very similar incidents.

The Palmer incident was actually an F2 race and it was a graphic account.

BTW. I don't think the country you live in makes any difference at this level of the sport. The medical facilities and capabilities of the trackside teams now, are a quantum leap above those of the eighties.
Old 1 May 2001, 02:02 (Ref:87366)   #5
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to Laffite was terrible, from my point of view. Wasn't it his 199th race?

I think so, and I was looking forward to him doing the 200, and this happened, but I think it was 1988, wasn't it? May be wrong...
Old 1 May 2001, 06:40 (Ref:87431)   #6
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
but I think it was 1988, wasn't it? May be wrong...
Ray, you're almost always right, but it was 1986 and the last GP to be held at Brands.