Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 May 2001, 10:05 (Ref:96418)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should Monaco stay on the F1 calendar?

With all the talk of turning launch control systems off for this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix, the issue of safety comes to the forefront. Many drivers are stating that they fear a major accident occurring if launch control fails to work on just one of the cars due to the nature of the circuit. In Austria when we had four cars stalled, the others managed to make their way past without any incidents whatsoever, however the street circuit in Monte Carlo is a lot narrower and the chances of getting around a stationary car in the same situation here are virtually non existent.

Triple world champion, Michael Schumacher, who finished the first day of practice here yesterday in a strong second place behind the McLaren of Mika Hakkinen, believes that the main reason Monaco is still on the calendar is because of it's rich history in the world of Formula One. The German admitted that regardless of the safety issues, he would compete around the streets of Monte Carlo without hesitation, however he believes that if Monaco was a new circuit looking for accreditation from the FIA, it would more than likely fail to get approval.

"You should probably say no for terms of safety, but Monte Carlo is such an historic event," he said. "But if I was asked would I drive there if I had the choice then I would say yes. It is simply so much fun but I am aware of the dangers every second."

In yesterdays first practice sessions for Sunday's race, several drivers became victims of the unforgiving barriers that line the circuit, including Michael's brother Ralf. According to reports, the younger Schumacher has been ordered to rest today after complaining of head and neck pain from his mistake in the dying minutes of the second hour where he lost the back end of his car in the Swimming Pool section, scraping heavily along the barrier to leave his BMW Williams in a complete mess.
Old 25 May 2001, 10:41 (Ref:96421)   #2
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monaco leave?! Never!

The Monaco Grand Prix is like a worldwide institution - as for the safety angle - if any motor racing was safe, would we a) still watch it, or b) still want to take part in it?! I know I wouldn't....Monaco has been around forever - just like Murray Walker, and although Ralf Schumacher does seem to come off with the worst injuries each year, it would be the biggest mistake ever to lose Monaco, because there's so much press coverage, and it's where all the fancy deals are done between teams and suppliers/sponsors...
Old 25 May 2001, 21:37 (Ref:96644)   #3
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion Monaco is to Formula 1 what Wimbledon is to tennis.
Monaco is tradition (the first Grand Prix dates from 1929), Monaco is glamour, Monaco is expensive, Monaco is danger and is about driver skills more than about engine power.
Nelson Piquet hated the circuit, Ayrton Senna loved it as does Michael Schumacher. Jackie Stewart once called it 'The jewel in the crown of Formula One.'

Most drivers think it's fun to drive around the narrow streets of Monte Carlo and I find it fun to watch.
Yes, Monaco should definitely stay on the calendar.
Old 25 May 2001, 21:51 (Ref:96650)   #4
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a tennis fan I totally agree with Gerard

Monaco IS Formula 1

There is no other circuit that separates so clearly the truly great from the mere fortunate to have the right engine or car.
Old 25 May 2001, 22:28 (Ref:96663)   #5
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I disagree. With Russia building a circuit a race will have to make way , I think it should be Monaco. The facilities are the poorest on the Calendar , accidents are all too common and it is very dangerous. The race disrupts traffic all weekend and the surface is slippery with drain covers.
Old 26 May 2001, 03:08 (Ref:96722)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Formula1 would not be the same without Monaco...It's the great equaliser in many ways, down to driver skill rather than who has the most powerful engine or best package etc etc..

The facility does leave a lot to be desired of course..safety is a huge issue, but IMO I don't think any driver would wish to have it removed from calendar, as a fan I would realy miss it!
Old 26 May 2001, 05:23 (Ref:96737)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Monaco GP is probably the most acclaimed racing event in the world! Of course it should stay. It is a blend of everything that has made F1 great in the past and the present. Fast cars, regular roads, rich people, their trophy wives that wear bikinis and smile for the cameras

Although, most of teams loath the circuit for the lack of space, and some drivers loath the circuit because they must spend more time keeping the car off of the barriers than driving it.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 26 May 2001, 05:44 (Ref:96739)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
And who says there is no overtaking? All any driver has to do is to wait till the guy in front of him hits the armco and bobs your uncle!!
Old 26 May 2001, 06:58 (Ref:96771)   #9
SH0077
Rookie

SH0077 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 1 without the Monaco GP is like Cheech without Chong, Just not funny dude!
Old 26 May 2001, 07:44 (Ref:96786)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some things never change.

"The usual rumour that the Monaco Grand Prix will not take place next year has received its customary annual denial by Monsieur Noghes."

I found that quote not so long ago in the news pages of a Motor Sport magazine printed in 1935.

Even then, the wisdom of running on street circuits such as Monte Carlo and Pau was being questioned. And still they went ahead with it.

For my money, I say race. Monaco is a glorious nod back to the era of the titans, and one of the greatest challenges left for a driver. I agree that the potential for disaster is big, but it has to be noted that in the history of the race, just one driver has lost his life at Monaco - Lorenzo Bandini in 1967.
Old 26 May 2001, 09:08 (Ref:96800)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD

For my money, I say race. Monaco is a glorious nod back to the era of the titans, and one of the greatest challenges left for a driver.
I remember the year when Stirling in the previous year's Lotus powered by an underpowered Climax engine beat the two Ferraris which had more powerful V6 engines.

This defines motor racing at one of its greatest moments, and Monaco will always separate the men from the boys.
Old 26 May 2001, 12:53 (Ref:96856)   #12
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I can't imagine a Formula 1 without Monoco. It is a drivers course which are becoming very scarce, and I think once a season we can leave the drivers to look after their own safety. I would forbid launch control, but otherwise let them race.