Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Aug 2014, 05:17 (Ref:3446734)   #126
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder about Lotterer. I haven't really followed his career, we don't have Formula Nippon or WEC televisted in NZ. I know I'm looking over stats, and they're often not the full picture, but here's what I see...

He started in Formula Nippon in 2003, 3 years with Nakajima Racing, supposedly one of the top teams as they'd won the titles in 1999, 2000 and 2002 (the last with Ralph Firman who's nothing special). Andre was not able to win a title with them. He spent the next 7 years with TOM's. Loic Duval meanwhile replaced him at Nakakima and won the title, though not straight away.

Loterrer finally won the title in his 9th season, but finishing second not far behind was his new teammate, one Kazuki Nakajima. The following year Kazuki took the title, with Lotterer back in 4th.

Lotterer did beat him the following year, not for the title, but is behind him again this year as Nakajima leads the standings. Looks like they're both slower than Oliveria though.

Now this Formula Nippon - I wouldn't really have rated it as a high quality field of drivers. Most of the field is Japanese drivers, including a who's who of Japanese F1 has-beens. The best talent that's won an FN title is Ralf Schumahcer and Pedro da la Rosa.

The last several years hasn't had the most impressive lineups with mostly Japanese drivers apart from Richard Lyons, Loterrer, Duval, Treluyer and Björn Wirdheim. Not that impressive.

I can't comment on his sports car racing since reliability and your team mates come into it.

He was in British F3 before that but was pretty well thumped by team mate James Courtney, who's not a bad driver but not F1 material. Not sure what his German F3 results were like, can't find them.

Those results, Lotterer winning a single title in 11 years against Japanese drivers doesn't strike me as one of the "top 50 drivers to not make F1".

Just my thoughts anyway. Is he really that great? Anyone here actually watch FN?

He certainly impressed in outqualifying Ericsson by a second!
Old 24 Aug 2014, 05:46 (Ref:3446736)   #127
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Back to the topic, surprised to see Andre's time 0.04 slower than a Sauber! Is it because Gutierrez too slow or Koboyashi being not able to get 150% out of the caterham?

Gutierrez stopped earlier in the session and set his time when the track was a bit wetter. Not a fair comparison.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 05:52 (Ref:3446737)   #128
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Gutierrez stopped earlier in the session and set his time when the track was a bit wetter. Not a fair comparison.
I know, but it's a caterham.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 09:46 (Ref:3446760)   #129
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
I know, but it's a caterham.
It's an apples/oranges comparison. The Sauber time was set when the track was a lot worse.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 11:10 (Ref:3446779)   #130
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post

He was in British F3 before that but was pretty well thumped by team mate James Courtney, who's not a bad driver but not F1 material.
At that time, before his big Jaguar F1 Testing shunt, Courtney was very much seen as F1 material. I think, though I may be wrong, that in most seasons Lotterer has not been present for all Formula Nippon (now Super Formula) rounds. I honestly don't feel the likes of Nakajima, Lyons, etc. should be sniffed at: They're pretty quick.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure that the statistic of three Le Mans wins in four years entitles you to a pretty good reputation!

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 24 Aug 2014, 11:45 (Ref:3446805)   #131
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
For someone who just sat in the car, he had a decent qualifying.

Plus, check out his racing pedigree...he's a very accomplished driver. but then again, he never had sponsorship pushing all the way to F1...
Old 24 Aug 2014, 11:52 (Ref:3446809)   #132
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How much of the qualifying effort is as a result of the Caterham car updates, and how much is attributed to the pilot?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Aug 2014, 14:20 (Ref:3446869)   #133
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Kolles got his Hype cash, his 'team entry' remains a juicy asset and doubt R&D got to see much of that money.

I don't think Lotterer would do a bad job if he got a better seat higher up the totem pole. But I presume this will be the last we'll be seeing of him.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 15:08 (Ref:3446881)   #134
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Emmmm, what to say now? Andre safely escaped from a loose start losing position to his teammate, and retook it from Eric and grab some more from Gutierrez, possibly Maldonado, but got knocked out by Pastor I suppose? The might explain first lap yellow flag
Old 24 Aug 2014, 16:17 (Ref:3446905)   #135
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mechanical failure I believe. But he easily regained the place on his team mate after a slow start. A real shame that he wasn't able to have a bit of a run.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 17:44 (Ref:3446944)   #136
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Too bad he had a fast retirement, I think he showed well up onto that point.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3446966)   #137
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Give him a seat! Better than Ericsson and has more financial backing than Kobayashi
Old 24 Aug 2014, 20:06 (Ref:3446975)   #138
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IMO, he easily deserves a seat, but not in a Caterham. I'd love to see what just an 'out to pasture sportscar driver' could do in a decent car......
Old 24 Aug 2014, 21:09 (Ref:3447010)   #139
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
IMO, he easily deserves a seat, but not in a Caterham. I'd love to see what just an 'out to pasture sportscar driver' could do in a decent car......
Your comment would be better placed if Lotterer wasn't a front-line single seater driver in his own right.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3447041)   #140
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I guess so, but my experience of Lotterer is of someone who is superlative in a vehicle far superior to anything he drove this weekend......
Old 24 Aug 2014, 22:39 (Ref:3447057)   #141
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I guess so, but my experience of Lotterer is of someone who is superlative in a vehicle far superior to anything he drove this weekend......
The SF14-Toyota or Audi R18?
Old 24 Aug 2014, 23:16 (Ref:3447078)   #142
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
The SF14-Toyota or Audi R18?
London Taxi?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 25 Aug 2014, 07:32 (Ref:3447197)   #143
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
His qualy performance says it all.

To outqualify someone by a second who knows the car intinatly and without any chance to test illustrates he is a class driver.
Old 25 Aug 2014, 09:29 (Ref:3447216)   #144
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

I'd love to see Bianchi in a Mercedes too..

he knows this track like the back of his hand, which explains his lap time. I expect Erricsson to come back and out qualify Lotterer at Monza.
Old 25 Aug 2014, 09:47 (Ref:3447222)   #145
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
His qualy performance says it all.

To outqualify someone by a second who knows the car intinatly and without any chance to test illustrates he is a class driver.
That and Ericsson is somewhat lame.

Lotterer is a top driver, it was no surprise to see him acclimatise so well.
Old 25 Aug 2014, 11:44 (Ref:3447255)   #146
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Very true... but unfortunately he's just one among many orbiting the periphery of F1 who are arguably better than most of the current GP grid.
Old 25 Aug 2014, 12:54 (Ref:3447283)   #147
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
IMO he can join Marussia, I like that team because of Bianchi
Old 25 Aug 2014, 13:17 (Ref:3447289)   #148
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNo1F1Fan View Post
IMO he can join Marussia, I like that team because of Bianchi
Me too, Bianchi is bringing us surprise now and then this year. Is Lotterer only one off show this weekend or Monza as well?
Old 25 Aug 2014, 13:19 (Ref:3447290)   #149
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One-off I believe.
Old 25 Aug 2014, 14:37 (Ref:3447325)   #150
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope not. It would be a shame for Koba not to finish the season but if Caterham have any sense they'll at least try and get Lotterer to stay.