Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 29 Nov 2003, 18:37 (Ref:798364)   #1
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zetec to Kent conversions

A number of people in the NWFF are converting Zetec VD 00, 01 and even a couple of 04's. But are they actually quicker??? They maybe newer, more ££££ but are they quicker?

The guys that have them at the moment are quick drivers anyway, such as Gavin and Ed Moore.

Will they be winners next year???

What do you think?

Last edited by Redracer77; 29 Nov 2003 at 18:38.
Old 29 Nov 2003, 18:57 (Ref:798368)   #2
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this has been talked about a lot.

there has to be SOME advantage of some sort, or people would not be doing it. There is also an extra 10 years technology developments in these cars, ok so they convert to apply to the kent rules, so its all fair, but with 10+ on them there must be some advantages like better chasis design for example. There also appears some disadvantages such as weight(although I can't get a straight response on if they weight more or less)

I'd love to have a drive in one just to see how they compare.As you say most of the people that have them are pretty fast drivers anyway, that also begs the question that if they are quick in say an RF90 why upgrade ? so there must be SOME advantage.

Be interesting to see who's out in what next year.
Old 29 Nov 2003, 19:01 (Ref:798371)   #3
Redracer77
Veteran

I have to confess that I have bought an VD RF01 to convert but I am doing it to sell or rent out as I am happy with my RF90!! Am just interested in the difference. I hear they are slow off the line etc but they must have some advantages in the dry etc??
Old 29 Nov 2003, 19:06 (Ref:798372)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From my point of view, as and when Gavin made a decent start in SOM he was dangerous. Even when he didn't, he still often won or came close - but as you say, Gavin can be quick in anything.

The fact that the cars haven't been as good an the wet will be, to some extent, down to a relative lack of running in those conditions. I know Gavin had had no kind of wet set-up, but had just about hit on something in the WHT final. Only to go off...
Old 29 Nov 2003, 21:26 (Ref:798441)   #5
goughy
Racer

goughy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regards the weight, i have heard they are typically heavier. However, apparently with some work you can get them down to the weight limit.

I also think that runnig a new cars is a) safer, and b) more promotable because they look so much better, but thats just my point of view.

Talking to a few people as well, it looks like there will be a few more 01/02 cars around than many had anticipated. Like darcym says, it will be interesting to see who roles out the newer cars after the winter break...
Old 29 Nov 2003, 22:31 (Ref:798466)   #6
jadlamracing
Rookie

jadlamracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have converted 7 cars now ,all gone to Australia and NZ.
Weight not a problem if built correctly 418/423 no fuel.
Much nicer to drive and work on,
Off the line not as good as RF90.
Major problems with chassis cracking due to 1600 engine.
When ever you touch wheels with other FF cars you end up with a bent wishbone.
Difficult to get the last extra out of the car but it is there.
But much more speed to be found in the DRIVER than the car
If i could buy a brand new RF90 it would be interesting to back to back the cars.
Hopefully safer than older cars.
Like Man Utd ,everyone likes to beat you and just try that little bit extra.
My original RF01 ,18 RACES,16 WINS,1 X 3RD, I DNF ,
3 PAYING DRIVERS.
Top engine,excellant data logger,top driver's and allot of luck.
Old 30 Nov 2003, 17:57 (Ref:799378)   #7
darcym
Veteran

Pretty good evaluation from John there.

I had no idea about the chassis cracking with the 1600 engine. Is that simpley down to the weight difference ?

Its interesting to hear some of these points.
I suppose that the cost of wishbones (again I keep getting told expensive and then cheap, and then expensive so I have no idea) will play a big part in running one of these cars I suppose as these cars become older parts will be cheaper ? what is the cost of parts for these cars now ?
Its also interesting to hear that its harder to get the last bit of time out of them.

I'd love to rent a car for a test or two just for interests sake to see that differences.

Again I have been told many things on the cost of converting these cars...could someone give me a more realistic idea of what they cost.

assume I have a chassis and engine, what are the extra costs ?
Old 30 Nov 2003, 18:37 (Ref:799402)   #8
jadlamracing
Rookie

jadlamracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Van Diemen have reduced the price of the wishbones towards the end of the season .Front track rod £65,rear top wishbone £120.
we can supply various conversion kits depending on how far you want to go and if you DIY.£3k /£4k .Big problem finding a good donor car that has not been miss used by the so called top Zetec Teams!
But still the result is who is sitting in the driving seat.Just because you have a new car will not be the answer,There will be no excuse if you drive a new car and you cannot go quick enough.
If anyone of you quick drivers wants a go, give me a call,i am looking for some new talented drivers for 2004 ,but i will tell you with our Data logging your short comings,are any off you up to that?
The chassis cracks near the top engine mounts ,this came to to my attention from the experience of the teams in Australia,resulting in the chassis being adapted.We had this problem after 30 races.Hopefully the newer cars RF03 onwards have had this corrected.
My advice would be get some decent coaching,car prep and data logging.assuming you have a good car RF90/SWIFT92 and engine,MONEY WELL SPENT.
Old 30 Nov 2003, 21:46 (Ref:799571)   #9
swift
Racer

swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, well, well redracer you dark horse you!!!!

I find the comments regarding the conversions very interesting especially those from jadlam who have had first hand experience. I too had heard that weight was not a major problem.

Is it true that chassis stiffness is nearly up to that of an F3? I've also heard that the nosecone/nosebox is an horrendous price to replace: carbonfibre?.

I agree with jadlam: there maybe too many people out with a knee jerk reaction to this theory that the newer the car the quicker you must go. Who remembers how well John Loebell went in his '88 Reynard a couple of years ago against much newer machinery? Getting your 90/91/92/93 car prepped by someone who really knows their stuff, a cracking engine and then getting someone with talent to tell you how to drive it! That's got to be the best option.

I would be very interested to try your new car redracer back to back with my own car: what's that I hear you say: get in the queue!!!!!!
Old 30 Nov 2003, 22:10 (Ref:799593)   #10
darcym
Veteran

I'm not looking at getting a new car, I am just curious to try one out of interests sake. I agree with Jadlam, if you buy a new car and you where not quick anyway you are setting yourself up for a fall. The data logging features jadlam mentions is something I may consider investing in. It seems an excellent way to pickup a few tenths.

that said I may treat myself to hiring redracers car to do a NW round
Old 1 Dec 2003, 09:24 (Ref:800064)   #11
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
darcym, you'll be welcome to join us if you can arrange something
Old 1 Dec 2003, 17:50 (Ref:800540)   #12
Redracer77
Veteran

Swift, I am not interested in racing a new car as I am not yet good at driving the RF90. I don't think it will make me any quicker or slower and as jadlam is right - most of the speed is in the diver anyway. I did it as a project to rent out or sell but this seems to have gone t..s up as UCLAN were going to supply the engine to go in the back as I was going to be using mine in the RF90 but that is not going to happen as the money men at UCLAN said no. So the project is not going to happen. So I have a VD RF01 Zetec chassis for sale if anyone wants one!!! If I get an engine swift I would be more than happy to let you have a go next year
Old 1 Dec 2003, 17:54 (Ref:800546)   #13
Redracer77
Veteran

my idea was to rent it out for next season as I was still learning and then maybe use it in 2005 if not sell it. I guess there will be a number out next season and good luck to them. One of my reasons was to give UCLAN a winter project to work on but they don't think they could get it done on time anyway. Which is fair enough.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 22:23 (Ref:800752)   #14
swift
Racer

swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Redracer, I think you're far too modest with reference to your own abilities behind the wheel: we expect you to be up at the sharp end in 2004. There, that's put the mockers on that one!

It's a great pity that your plan seems to have gone awry. It would have been an ideal opportunity to test the 2 cars back to back.

It's interesting to note there appears to be a common theme developing with comments regarding the honing of our own driving abilities. I, like you, know that there is still more to come from me as a driver rather than the car. Buying a new car would almost be like starting the learning process all over again. That's one of the reason why I bought a known car in the first place: you know what it's capable of; it's just down to you as the driver to duplicate that. Back in 1997, my car, in the hands of its previous owner, did a mid 1:03 around Fosters, so I've still got some way to go yet!! But that's half the challenge don't you think? Whilst there are still goals to aim for, we still strive to achieve them.
Old 2 Dec 2003, 20:16 (Ref:801843)   #15
darcym
Veteran

Looks like I'll have to drag the swift down to a NW race this year....gutted.I was looking forward to trying a new car.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 09:50 (Ref:802395)   #16
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone converted an RF97? Would this be any good? I have one which is almost complete and is unraced since 97. In its day, it was a front-running Zetec in Ireland.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 21:19 (Ref:884494)   #17
blue nose
Veteran

blue nose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a point of interest just how many VD 2000 onwards cars will roll out at Oulton this year North Star have 2 04 John Loebell And myself have 00 & 01 Gary Jones may come in a 02. So that is five cars I have heard wispers of two more that are almost finished.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 21:43 (Ref:884521)   #18
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by blue nose
I have heard whispers of two more that are almost finished.
Whisper who they are this way Alan. Put your reply in brackets [] and only I will be able to see it.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 21:55 (Ref:884538)   #19
blue nose
Veteran

Diz I will let you know (at the end of April)
Old 24 Feb 2004, 21:58 (Ref:884540)   #20
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by blue nose
Diz I will let you know (at the end of April)
OK stick it in a PM, ring me, or email me then. I won't tell - honest.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 22:05 (Ref:884552)   #21
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Swift '04 should be interesting though as it is being built as a Kent or a Zetec. Take your fancy. AS it is built on the foundation of a Kent Chassis though, it should be there or there abouts.

There's me thinking I am going to be up there in my Swift '89 because we have it sorted and BINGO, one step forward, two back and all that.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 22:15 (Ref:884576)   #22
blue nose
Veteran

I have seen the cars on the flat patch and the weight is spot on.

Getting of the line is a setup problem but I am not telling what that is...As it has been said previously these cars have ten more years development behind them, I have seen data from a wet practice which showed a 2 second advantage to the next car its because the front end has so much grip because of the wider track.
Plus the safety aspect has to inspire confidence
Old 24 Feb 2004, 22:46 (Ref:884614)   #23
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can they keep the wide track suspension? I thought that had to be converted back?

Are they as quick as a Reynard '89 in the wet?????
Old 24 Feb 2004, 22:48 (Ref:884616)   #24
Redracer77
Veteran

Blue Nose - How much for a test in your motor to see what it is like???????????
Old 24 Feb 2004, 22:48 (Ref:884617)   #25
blue nose
Veteran

Well John went quick than his reynard in the wet with not much seat time so things look good Chris.