Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Feb 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1237671)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1970 Chaparral 2J

with the double engine and the sucking action and all what did this monster sound like. a snowmobile engine sounds crazy as it is...plus a V8 growling an dhowling under it....
any one have soundclips..
and what is it about engine sounds that stir us race fans, and car enthusiasts?
Old 28 Feb 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1238375)   #2
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember it well - it had covered rear wheels arches as the whole enclosed rear area formed the suction part of the beast. From memory it had a simply huuuuge rear wing - was it one of those which tilted under braking?
Old 28 Feb 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1238425)   #3
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gnomex, you might be merging two of the Chaparrals? The 2J sucker car only had a small clear perspex rear spoiler, as the vacuum traction pulled it to the ground. But the earlier narrow track 1969 2H had a big rear wing. And at Laguna Seca it had what must have been the biggest ever Can-Am wing fixed above the cockpit. You must have seen them both? You're pretty lucky. They were lovely cars. You must have been to a few Can-Am races?
Old 28 Feb 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1238512)   #4
Edgar Jessop
Rookie

Edgar Jessop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
with the double engine and the sucking action and all what did this monster sound like. a snowmobile engine sounds crazy as it is...plus a V8 growling an dhowling under it....
That was about it really - I heard it briefly at the Goodwood FoS in 1998 [?] and it sounded like a Can-Am car with a gearbox kart up its chuff!

Brilliant bit of design though! It absolutely hissed down with rain that weekend at and one stage I sheltered under the rear bodywork box that had been conveniently removed - also under there were a couple of American guys who seemed to know a bit about the thing and we got chatting - I recognised Jim Hall but was too dim to ask who the other guy was ...

One thing I rather like about the 2J Sucker Car was a contemporary quote from Jim Hall - something to the effect that " ... then we replaced Jackie Stewart with Vic Elford .... We were very impressed by Elford ... we found he was practically every bit as quick but a whole heap cheaper ... "
Old 28 Feb 2005, 23:48 (Ref:1238515)   #5
Formula 5000
Rookie

Formula 5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I followed all of Jim Hall's Chaparrals exploits from the other side of the world. Even built models of them all. I have just been to the Historic meeting at Phillip Island Victoria Australia 29/02/05 and heard my first V12 Gurney Weslake. Incredible.
I think anyone who actually heard and saw the 2J Fan car was very fortunate.
Could we have a few more peoples thought on the sound? Please.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1239310)   #6
ErleMinhinnick
Rookie

ErleMinhinnick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chaparral 2J

The funniest sound in the world. I only heard it at Goodwood and Jim Hall put the sucker on. As it came towards you its chevy rumbled and as it passed it turned in to a lawn mower - made I laugh. Did Denny Hulme jokingly say that if he got trouble from it (while dominating the Can-Am series) he'd just toss a towel out of the cockpit and that would sort it out! Pity we don't have such innovations these days as the Chaparrals - great days.