Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Nov 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1450452)   #1
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Ford GT goes racing.

I've known about this car for sometime, though whether it was going to race in ALMS, or SWC was an unknown. It seems destined for SWC GT according to the stickers. I've sent team principles an email for clarification.

http://www.signguy.com/kineticspeedshopsammyhagar.html

Pictures take forever to load, but enjoy.

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewPi...gID=2&pID=1686

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewPi...gID=2&pID=1685
Old 2 Nov 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1450461)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With the new front spoiler and 'Fast and the Furious' rear wing the GT looks most unlike the classic GT40 we all know and love.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 15:06 (Ref:1450482)   #3
RonVerstegen
Rookie

Netherlands
Den Bosch
RonVerstegen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a nice racing-car.....hopefully it shows good results on the racingtrack!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1450485)   #4
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both look stunning imho!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 16:46 (Ref:1450579)   #5
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know about you guys, but when i opened the first link, Firefox gave the name of the page as "Lola Knighthawk"...ohh the good days.

On another note, I think this is mearly a show car, but I would love to see it race.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1450587)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sorry, but if this is a show car, then it's lamest show car ever made. Why spend the money to get a Ford GT, then convert it to a race car, only to show it? Considering the stickers that are on the car, I'll agree with some of the others, looks like it's SWC GT bound to me.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1450593)   #7
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looks like it's been in too deep a convo with someone from Max Power magazine to be serious about an effort in a Le Mans-related series! That's not a nice thing to do to such a car... shame, because I would have liked to have seen it in GT2 or something like that...
Old 2 Nov 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1450602)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or S2.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1450607)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Ford GT would not qualify for S2 afaik.

I'd love to see it in GT1 personally, but oh well. As long as it races somewhere.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 17:38 (Ref:1450652)   #10
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of points that maybe someone could answer,

1.It has not got single nut wheels, or racing tyres Is it simple to change the hubs or does the SWC GT not allow them?
2.Why has it got a number on it (in fact the same one as the Saleen)? In the UK if you have racing numbers on a road car you need to (or at least you did when I was a lad)put a cross thru it, as the car in the picture has. Is that also the same in the US?

3.Is it possible its a track day car? has this team ever raced. I dont know enough about the SWC GT to know what state of mods are allowed.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1450658)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I believe the cross-out through the number is in reference to Sammy Hagar's "I can't drive 55" song. Hence the number 55.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 20:26 (Ref:1450801)   #12
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I personally think both the cars look pretty good, and I'd be thrilled to see either racing somewhere, be it SCCA or whatever.

Come on people, were you really expecting someone to race a Ford GT that didn't have a big wing, spoilers/sideskirts etc.? The aero wouldn't possibly be competitive anyway you slice it. I must admit that I think the Saleen Mustang looks better all kitted up though. I am really fond of the new street car, so I guess that's logical.

The Crawford Composites decals on the cars indicate they weren't goofing around on the construction, unless they're just there for show.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 21:34 (Ref:1450857)   #13
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that Crawford Composite decal makes this much more interesting. I saw a Speed Gt sticker on the GT40. But could the Mustang be the first customer Crawford Grand-am gt chassis. I read that Riley was building one so is meant for the Grand-Am.???? this could be very interesting.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1450860)   #14
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pirelli tires are not allowed in GARRA.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1450885)   #15
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be very nice if it would appear in ANY endurance series, preferrably the ones broadcasted regularly on Motors
Old 2 Nov 2005, 22:37 (Ref:1450904)   #16
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both cars have Crawford wings, I wouldnt worry about that, Crawford builds wings for ALMS cars too.

The Mustang is interesting....hmmm, where could that race?
Old 3 Nov 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1451337)   #17
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pirelli tires are not allowed in GARRA.
Or in Speed WC either...
Old 3 Nov 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1451369)   #18
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy
Both cars have Crawford wings, I wouldnt worry about that, Crawford builds wings for ALMS cars too.
I didn't have any series in mind when I mentioned that, I was only pointing out that putting a real wing of that caliber on a showpiece that wasn't intended to race wouldn't be very sensible.

Edit: The team co-owner may be a name familiar to some: Nic Jonsson.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 07:19 (Ref:1451861)   #19
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

XJR14/WSC95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard that Ford is having difficulty selling the GT due to high sticker prices. Maybe some of the potential clients would find it more appealing if the road car which is inspired by a race car actually raced. I would say Ford could get far more publicity in the US with this car in the ALMS GT1 class than the Jaguar F1 Team if it were still around ever could.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1451957)   #20
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect any sales difficulty is not due to high 'list' sticker price - the car is much cheaper than a new 360 or 430 - it is due to every dealer trying to gouge customers for anything up to USD 100 000 over list - so only a few have been sold to users - there is another argument about the actual size of the market for cars this expensive - another question mark is whether USD 165 000 is better spent on another more exclusive brand not a Ford
Old 4 Nov 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1451962)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not sure they'll get more publicity, but at least it will be good publicity and fitting.

The road car is based on a race car that did race, although there was a little delay (and a few changes) between versions.

Those pictures don't look too convincing. Although it shows there is interest in such a development. I suspect with those bolts on need a little development. It does change the appearence of hte car, but a '60s GT shape isn't going to cut it in the world of splitters. Still it looks alright in the context of the Max Power GTs we get nowadays. I don't like the paint scheme, I'd prefer a non-metallic lighter blue
Old 4 Nov 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1452005)   #22
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really can't see Ford giving there blessing to a Ford GT racing program, because the car would be in the GT1 class which would but it up againest the Aston Martin DBR9 and they might not want to see it racing and beating another one of it products. You have to remember that the Aston Martin Grp C project of the late 1980's was killed off because it was in direct competion with the Jaguar program. BTW I think car does look pretty good.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1452211)   #23
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I believe the cross-out through the number is in reference to Sammy Hagar's "I can't drive 55" song. Hence the number 55.
I found that pretty witty too
Old 6 Nov 2005, 15:37 (Ref:1453408)   #24
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks alot worse than the one in GT4