Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Nov 2018, 19:59 (Ref:3866160)   #26
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
Like many men, I have a red/green defect.

In my latter year's of racing, I learned how to 'trick' the Ishihara Test (the pages of coloured dots) - knowing I had the defect, I looked behind the obvious answer and generally did OK.

In the early days, they used to have the RAC quack wave flags around at Belgrade Square.

The only time I have ever had an issue with colour vision was on the footplate of a train. On a particularly straight and level stretch of track outside York the block signalling could be seen numerous sections into the distance. The driver could see that the furthest signal was green - I could see the light but couldn't tell its colour. Not being able to identify a 24w bulb at about 5 miles has never really caused me a problem!
I agree whole heartedly.. It rarely causes me an issue. Again it is probably down to some quack re-writing a set of old rules without much thought for the real world.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 21:21 (Ref:3866182)   #27
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post
I agree whole heartedly.. It rarely causes me an issue. Again it is probably down to some quack re-writing a set of old rules without much thought for the real world.
It only needs to cause an issue once, at the wrong time and place, and somebody could so easily be killed. AIUI the tests have been reviewed in recognition that LED light panels can look a bit different from coloured cloth flags. Again AIUI this has come from the FIA and MUK are not to blame - if blame needs to be apportioned - for introducing stricter colour vision testing. It would also not be sensible for MUK to implement their own variations of flag signals as that would be totally confusing for the many drivers that race both in the UK and abroad.
Old 27 Nov 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3866343)   #28
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=GORDON STREETER;3772103]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofapair View Post
Over twenty plus years I have never had a Marshal flag or light recognition problem ! QUOTE]

I started racing in 1969 and have had a few yellow flag problems, like a few of us have had !!
Same here Gord, I started in 1974 (being the youngster here) all I see now is black flags
Old 27 Nov 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3866395)   #29
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=Rikki Cann;3866343]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post

Same here Gord, I started in 1974 (being the youngster here) all I see now is black flags
Track limits for me. What colour is that one. Anyway just had e mail from MSA and my new licence is on its way. Happy days.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3866605)   #30
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
It only needs to cause an issue once, at the wrong time and place, and somebody could so easily be killed. AIUI the tests have been reviewed in recognition that LED light panels can look a bit different from coloured cloth flags. Again AIUI this has come from the FIA and MUK are not to blame - if blame needs to be apportioned - for introducing stricter colour vision testing. It would also not be sensible for MUK to implement their own variations of flag signals as that would be totally confusing for the many drivers that race both in the UK and abroad.
It seems that the FIA then have wrongly introduced the light boxes? .. Red light should be permanently illuminated as per the original flag signal.. as long as this is the case and all other lights flash then there is no problem !!
Old 28 Nov 2018, 21:34 (Ref:3866701)   #31
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightswitch View Post
........ then there is no problem !!
which is what I've been trying to say all along
Old 28 Nov 2018, 22:15 (Ref:3866710)   #32
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One possible challenge is that most eyesight, human included, is generally more responsive to movement than to colour.

Movement can be very distracting or, to put that another way, very attention attracting where it exists in an otherwise fairly consistent visual feed.

Light boxes can only offer one mode of communication as they are currently set up. Conversely a human wielding a red flag (or one of his colleagues) at least has the option to make movement that might attract the attention of a driver who has not noticed a flag. Whether the flag SHOULD be stationary or not may not be terribly significant at that moment.

Inanimate objects do not have that benefit.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 22:21 (Ref:3866711)   #33
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There may be other solutions available.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr6TzhCQs8Q
Old 6 Dec 2018, 12:36 (Ref:3868253)   #34
MarkBev
Rookie

MarkBev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ambiguity of the colour vision section of the licence application has been a problem for doctors, opticians and applicants for many years now.
Somehow the MSA, or Motorsport UK if you prefer, have made it worse.

In the pamphlet accompanying the licence application it says..
"In any event, as well as passing such tests as referred to above (Ishihara and Farnsworth), there must be no risk of any errors in the perception of the colours of flags or any light boxes"

Knowing that I never have or ever will pass an Ishihara test I phoned the MSA, to be told 'that's OK, all you need to do is pass a light box test'....apparently this can be done at Race Medics in Redhill or at the Racing Car Show in Jan, and errr, um, maybe at your local circuit, but we don't know for sure

Well, that's handy then...……does anyone have any more positive info for us unfortunate 8%?
Old 6 Dec 2018, 13:01 (Ref:3868256)   #35
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the Historic FF2000 drivers failed his Ishihara test a couple of weeks ago so went to Motor Racing Medics for a lightbox test. He passed that with no problem. The good news is that, once the lightbox test pass has been recorded, there is no need to take a colour blindness test in future.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3868293)   #36
MarkBev
Rookie

Yes, true enough Alan, the fact that this is now a one off test certainly sweetens the pill, and will remove the yearly confusion of 'to what degree are you colour blind?'
But poor colour vision isn't confined to a 50 mile radius of Redhill.
Is there anyone out there from an operating circuit who's received instruction from Motorsport UK re conducting light box tests?
Old 6 Dec 2018, 20:57 (Ref:3868378)   #37
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBev View Post
Yes, true enough Alan, the fact that this is now a one off test certainly sweetens the pill, and will remove the yearly confusion of 'to what degree are you colour blind?'
But poor colour vision isn't confined to a 50 mile radius of Redhill.
Is there anyone out there from an operating circuit who's received instruction from Motorsport UK re conducting light box tests?
I very much doubt it as it's not MUK's responsibility to give instruction on carrying out the test, in the same way they don't get involved in arranging the provision of ECGs. The eyesight requirements are within the Medical Declaration part of the licence application and I think it's implicit that a doctor has to carry it out, Dr Green being the only one I know of. If Redhill's too far for you then Autosport is the other option as I mentioned back in post #18. I'd take the positive, it's good to have an excuse 'but I have to go to Autosport to get my eye test done...'
Old 7 Dec 2018, 05:38 (Ref:3868460)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
He / They will also be at Race Retro in February. I don't know if The Porsche Human Performance Centre at Silverstone is able to do the alternative test, but may be worth asking..... (They do ECG/SRECG and Meds....)
Old 13 Dec 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3869913)   #39
MarkBev
Rookie

Successfully scrutineered at Motor Racing Medics in Redhill. And a very well organised and efficient outfit they are too.
You're right MGDavid, Dr Green said that there weren't any circuits geared up to do the 'light box test', mainly because the kit needed (designed and built by MRM) hasn't been bought by anyone else.
And Mike you're also right MRM are taking their kit to various shows.....so the message to all those racers who are likely to fail Mr Ishihara's fiendish test...don't leave sorting out your 'light box test' too late, as it appears there's not many folk out there that can conduct it.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 14:04 (Ref:3869923)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Glad you’re sorted!
Old 13 Dec 2018, 15:03 (Ref:3869936)   #41
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Out of interest, as I am not applying to renew my licence which lapsed nearly 50 years ago, is there a pass rate for the Ishihara test, or do you have to get them all right. I ask because I tried the online test, and was unable to "see" 3 of the 24 items. Then they tell you that 2 were just to fool you (I am not talking about the easy ones for children), so in reality I was just unable to see one pattern.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3869938)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some of them are lines, either 0, 1 or 2.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3869964)   #43
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Direct quote from section H of the Yearbook. It is the same as Appendix L of the ISC

method of analysis used should be a pass of the Ishihara test (24 plate version) with the first 15 plates, presented in random order, being identified without error.

Old 13 Dec 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3869965)   #44
MarkBev
Rookie

Thanks MB
Mike H, the official MUK wording is "....a pass of the Ishihara test (24 plate version) with the first 15 plates, presented in random order, being identified without error..."
So even your 21 out of 24 is a likely failure.