Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 Oct 2008, 17:08 (Ref:2304137)   #1
Jan Gower
Racer

Jan Gower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park Formula Fords

For those marshals who will be attending Oulton this coming Saturday 11th October, I intend to start a Marshals Formula Ford Driver of the season. I know its a bit late in the day for driver of the season, but many Oulton marshals know our friends in the formula ford series and would probably have a name or two in their mind already. What I intend to do is to bring nomination forms and ask all marshals to vote for their FF driver of the day (or season as you see fit) The driver will then be awarded the Marshals Formula Ford Driver of the season at the BRSCCNW dinner dance on 21st February 2009, and I will ask a marshal to award it to the driver. I hope you will all join in and vote, the FF drivers, mecanics and owners have done such a lot for us over the years and I think it is time we gave something back. It won't cost you a penny unless you would like to donate a few coffers towards the award.... which will be 'unusual' to say the least. I have run this idea past a number of officials and marshals and they think its a fab idea! I hope you all do too!

Jan
Old 4 Oct 2008, 18:29 (Ref:2304202)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I think it's a great idea!
Old 4 Oct 2008, 21:53 (Ref:2304323)   #3
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
In the pit lane, Cheshire
pit bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too think this is a great idea, tho unfortunatley won't be able to attened this meeting, is there anyway I could put in a vote for driver of the year?

Some say he spent it on fags, some say he exchanged it for a traffic light air freshner for his race car. all we know is he's called PIT BULL! :)[/QUOTE]
Old 5 Oct 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2304617)   #4
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit bull
I too think this is a great idea, tho unfortunatley won't be able to attened this meeting, is there anyway I could put in a vote for driver of the year?
How about a PM to the delectable Jan?

Tony please correct the spelling of Anglesey in your signature
Old 5 Oct 2008, 14:09 (Ref:2304682)   #5
Jan Gower
Racer

To

Not a problem, just pm me. I wonder who your choice is going to be!!
Old 5 Oct 2008, 16:37 (Ref:2304772)   #6
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
In the pit lane, Cheshire
pit bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Gower
To

Not a problem, just pm me. I wonder who your choice is going to be!!
Lol
PM sent

Last edited by pit bull; 5 Oct 2008 at 16:39.

Some say he spent it on fags, some say he exchanged it for a traffic light air freshner for his race car. all we know is he's called PIT BULL! :)[/QUOTE]
Old 5 Oct 2008, 22:40 (Ref:2305037)   #7
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
Tony please correct the spelling of Anglesey in your signature
Thanks
Old 6 Oct 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2305174)   #8
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I vote for a driver on the grounds that he bought me a pint?
Old 6 Oct 2008, 09:24 (Ref:2305217)   #9
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think bribery is accepted...

hence why we voted for Ian Gorrie as driver of the day at the Barc meeting last week.
(or are we just mugs for a good insulated cup?)
Old 6 Oct 2008, 15:41 (Ref:2305444)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Ok folks, here's how the system will work...probably - spread the word so that everybody knows what's happening!

Voting forms will be available at sign-on; there will also be forms in the Observers' folders for those who forget to pick one up at sign-on, lose the form, want to change their mind, etc., etc - but please, only one form per marshal - anyone caught trying to vote twice will be assumed to have volunteered for Water Tower for the whole of next season!

When you have filled the form in you can hand it to your observer, who will put it in the folder, or hand it in when you go for a drink at the end of the meeting (or give it to somebody else to hand in).

For this meeting the form will have two sections, one for driver of the day, one for driver of the season. You may vote in either category or in both - or if you can't be bothered, neither!

The form asks for driver's name & number. It's possible that for driver of the day your choice could be a late entry whose name isn't in the programme, or for driver of the season you want to vote for a driver who isn't racing on Saturday so you don't know his/her number, in which case either name or number will suffice, but if possible give both. You will note that the form asks whether your chosen driver is in the post-89 or pre-90 race; this is just a safeguard against a number having been used in both groups.

That may sound a little bit overcomplicated, but the object of the exercise is to make sure that everybody gets a form & that all the forms are collected.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 17:54 (Ref:2305515)   #11
Jan Gower
Racer

Thanks Dave
I had a nudge from a certain formula ford driver and flag marshal at Oulton who shall remain nameless....... he suggested we give the name of the driver of the day as voted by the marshals to Matt at the FF presentation, I wonder if its possible you get your forms to me by lunchtime, or for those who stay out on circuit I can collect during the lunchbreak in the course car.
Jan
Old 6 Oct 2008, 21:44 (Ref:2305660)   #12
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Last time there was some kind of award for FF that was voted for by the marshals, said nameless formula ford driver and flag marshal won it.
Strange hey?
Sorry nameless formula ford driver and flag marshal, I await your Email with some anticipation and no small amount of trepidation.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 11:16 (Ref:2306007)   #13
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diz, how could you say that?? I'd need a better season than I've had to stand any chance.

More seriously - I do think it's an excellent idea with a lot of worthy drivers and will really add something to the day. It would be great if it could become a regular feature. (I'm quite happy to be excluded initially so that it's a "fair" and credible result to get it started)

Is that worth the anticipation and trepidation?

Mike
Old 7 Oct 2008, 19:05 (Ref:2306348)   #14
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Mike,
Thanks for your Email. It made my day.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2306395)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Ok folks, here's how the system will work...probably - spread the word so that everybody knows what's happening!
Well, I did say probably!

...and now for Plan 'B'!

So that the name of the winner of the Driver of the Day award can be announced on the day, it will be necessary for the forms to be collected at lunchtime. Jan will be driving round in the course car to pick up completed forms at each post; to speed the operation up it would be helpful if someone on each post could collect the forms from everyone on post ready for Jan. Non-trackside marshals & any trackside marshals returning to the paddock at lunchtime may hand their forms in to the race control marshals' room - the place you get your drinks from.

Any forms which, for whatever reason, are not returned at lunchtime may be handed in at the end of the day - while this will be too late for Driver of the Day, they will still count towards Driver of the Season.
Old 8 Oct 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2306748)   #16
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So then.......
Do I cast my vote for Jonesy....who's spent more time this year on post than on the track?
Or Murph for the cake?
Or Pikey as a sort of apology for reporting him so many times this season?

I'm not there on Saturday (At Least Not as a Marshal) so may the best man win!!
(Great Idea BTW)
Old 8 Oct 2008, 12:21 (Ref:2306757)   #17
Jan Gower
Racer

Whoever is driving the safety car CANNOT be counted in the nomination!

Jan
Old 8 Oct 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2307125)   #18
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good idea Jan.
I'll certainly be voting.

Dave
Old 8 Oct 2008, 22:28 (Ref:2307141)   #19
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Gower
Whoever is driving the safety car CANNOT be counted in the nomination!

Jan
We can't run Safety Car for F Fords in the NW. Roll on 2009
Old 12 Oct 2008, 10:52 (Ref:2310044)   #20
Jan Gower
Racer

Well, thanks to all the marshals who took the time to vote yesterday. The driver of the day was awarded to Doug Crosbie, unfortunately he had to leave the circuit before the announcement was made. A good choice I believe. And the driver of the season was.......

Jan
Old 14 Oct 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2311954)   #21
frasdoug
Rookie

frasdoug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jan
Thank you and all the marshals’ for not only the vote but the for the great job they have done this year. It’s so easy to give the marshals a hard time, if it wasn’t for their dedication we could not race! Doug had to leave straight after the race to go down to Oxford Brookes university open day for motorsport engineering. We will be back out at Anglesey and next year hopefully in the same car
Thanks Paul (payer of all bills, not even much left for a beer)