Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Jul 2017, 15:57 (Ref:3756446)   #151
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The one car rolled right in front of us, I think it was the rower guy. Anyway it was Turn 1 of the GP circuit.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 16:58 (Ref:3756461)   #152
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
What were the grid sizes like at the Classic? As full as ever? What about at club racing? I haven't been for ages so can't comment.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Apart from GpC, very good grids. Masters GD race had reserves and then reserves for the reserves....
Old 31 Jul 2017, 17:46 (Ref:3756468)   #153
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Our Jag race was red flagged. My heart sank as we drove back in to pits passing the E Type with a crushed roof. Roll cage did its job and driver ok. Dont know about his wallet.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 17:47 (Ref:3756470)   #154
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of the E-Types

Mike Bell?

Le Jag

Old 31 Jul 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3756478)   #155
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
The unquestioned highlight for me was when we brave souls standing in the rain near Village on Sat evening saw a sublime drive from David Pittard in the Elan 26R. Utterly mesmerising to watch the little Lotus carve its way through TVR V8s, E -Types etc . I watched the car at Vale in dry practice and its pace was astonishing.

Good to hear the howling V10 Renault in the Williams ; lots to enjoy - people to talk to , access all areas wonderful . But I really don't need oxymoronic sleb races contested by people who once appeared on Holby City - or anybody else falling into the sleb catgory .

ps for pure racing , yet again the rule that nothing is better than a big field of FF1600 was proved .
Old 31 Jul 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3756484)   #156
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Images

Guessing this thread will be well served with great images so Ill just add a couple or so. Silverstone is an awful place for 'backdrop' photography so thank goodness for some rain. Sad the Ferrari picked up a penalty, but Simon (Hadfield) certainly drove another great race. Copyright www.retro-speed.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6383.JPG   DSC_5994.JPG   DSC_6311.JPG  

DSC_6053.JPG   DSC_6016.JPG   DSC_6211.JPG  

Old 31 Jul 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3756499)   #157
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wikipedia sugges that just over 1000 of the original Lotus Elite were made one way or another.

The entry lost for the Classic seemed to suggest, at a quick glance, that nearly all of them were entries ....

(OK, I may be exaggerating slightly there ....)

Certainly a lot though. Where have they all appeared from?
Old 31 Jul 2017, 19:48 (Ref:3756518)   #158
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
A couple of the E-Types

Mike Bell

Le Jag
Think you're right on both counts, Percy. Was the pic of #64 taken just before the red flag was shown? If so, #94 (Gary Pearson) spun just after lapping me at Becketts, then nearly T boned our car as he recovered. Not sure if he lost the lead to the Dodd car (#21) during the spin, but the red flag was shown seconds later, so the result would have been wound back to the previous lap. It could be #21 right behind, and the gap between 1st and 2nd was just over one sec.......
Old 31 Jul 2017, 20:01 (Ref:3756520)   #159
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Elites are great to drive a reasonable cost.
That's why people think they are good value
Old 31 Jul 2017, 21:26 (Ref:3756531)   #160
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Think you're right on both counts, Percy. Was the pic of #64 taken just before the red flag was shown? If so, #94 (Gary Pearson) spun just after lapping me at Becketts, then nearly T boned our car as he recovered. Not sure if he lost the lead to the Dodd car (#21) during the spin, but the red flag was shown seconds later, so the result would have been wound back to the previous lap. It could be #21 right behind, and the gap between 1st and 2nd was just over one sec.......
Yes he did lose the lead according to the Live timing and the commentary. The Dodd car was a lot faster at that time and would have won as the flag was about to be shown if my memory and mental arithmetic were both correct.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 21:39 (Ref:3756532)   #161
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Yes he did lose the lead according to the Live timing and the commentary. The Dodd car was a lot faster at that time and would have won as the flag was about to be shown if my memory and mental arithmetic were both correct.
Something to do with this?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6260.jpg  
Old 31 Jul 2017, 22:22 (Ref:3756541)   #162
Alan Cox
Rookie

Alan Cox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=john ruston;3756186]A new lightweight and it's a historic race meeting.
A joke!

No wonder historic racing is not expanding or changing
QUOTE]

I don't know how many 'lightweight' E Types there were racing, John, but I don't think there was a genuine one among them was there?
Old 31 Jul 2017, 22:53 (Ref:3756552)   #163
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know how the guy who rolled his Formula Ford on Sunday is doing?
Old 1 Aug 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3756612)   #164
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
Something to do with this?
Yup, that's the moment!
Old 1 Aug 2017, 08:10 (Ref:3756617)   #165
SamBinfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ludwigsburg, DE
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Our Jag race was red flagged. My heart sank as we drove back in to pits passing the E Type with a crushed roof. Roll cage did its job and driver ok. Dont know about his wallet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
Anyone know how the guy who rolled his Formula Ford on Sunday is doing?
Allow me to kill two birds with one stone as it were. Dad is fine Iain - lost a wheel due to mechanical failure somewhere within the rear upright/halfshaft when he was halfway through Stowe and the car tucked in around the failed corner and rolled onto its roof. Thank you to everyone for their concern The car can be repaired, and with the exception of a minute cut on his finger dad was uninjured.

AFAIK Stuart Baird was OK after his roll in HFF - the roll hoop did its job well but took quite a beating in the process.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3756618)   #166
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Those are good news.
Thanks for sharing nice pics, percy and retrognome.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 08:33 (Ref:3756621)   #167
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBinfield View Post
Allow me to kill two birds with one stone as it were. Dad is fine Iain - lost a wheel due to mechanical failure somewhere within the rear upright/halfshaft when he was halfway through Stowe and the car tucked in around the failed corner and rolled onto its roof. Thank you to everyone for their concern The car can be repaired, and with the exception of a minute cut on his finger dad was uninjured.

AFAIK Stuart Baird was OK after his roll in HFF - the roll hoop did its job well but took quite a beating in the process.
Thanks for that, Sam. Didn't realise it was your Dad's E Type. From the position of the car- inside the corner- thought it had to be a failure. Mr Pearson should at least buy your Dad a drink, as without the resultant red flag he likely wouldn't have won the race.....

BTW, well done in your Titan in the FF races. Far from shabby results in that field!
Old 1 Aug 2017, 09:03 (Ref:3756628)   #168
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Crikkeee had no idea it was Bob . Please send my very best . As I said my heart sank when passing the incedent . Thanks for letting us know .
Old 1 Aug 2017, 10:34 (Ref:3756645)   #169
Alan Cox
Rookie

Alan Cox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Sorry to hear it was Stuart who rolled his Merlyn but glad to learn he is OK. A real veteran of FF1600 who retains his enthusiasm

PS Regarding my earlier comment regarding Lightweight E Types, Simon Hadfield has reminded me that Joaguin Folch's semi-lightweight is the genuine ex-Peter Berry car which was raced by Bruce McLaren in period

Last edited by Alan Cox; 1 Aug 2017 at 10:42.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 11:27 (Ref:3756669)   #170
nigel grant
Rookie

nigel grant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stuart Baird Silverstone Classic

I have Stuart Baird's car in our workshop after his heavy roll at the Classic last weekend. As Sam said the roll bar took a real beating but did its job and as a result Stuart emerged with nothing but a stiff neck and a bit of a shaking.
It was suggested that Stuart had been very lucky but in my opinion luck had nothing to do with it. Stuart had the foresight to see that his head was level with the top of the roll bar and asked Mike Waite (MW Fabrications) to extend it, Mike did just that and also braced not only the extension but also the original hoop and gusseted them both.
Stuart's foresight and Mike's quality fabrication saved Stuart's life, its as simple as that. We watched the incident live on the big screen and the severity of the roll shocked all who were there. The consequences of not having enough clearance between the drivers head and the roll hoop don't bear thinking about. This issue of roll bars and extensions is being checked and addressed immediately with the Chief Formula Ford Scrutineer from the MSA and recommendations will be made to all competitors in Historic FF1600, I would recommend that other championships do the same.
We can straighten the cars but not the people all of whom are our friends, prevention is always better than the cure.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 12:12 (Ref:3756686)   #171
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel grant View Post
I have Stuart Baird's car in our workshop after his heavy roll at the Classic last weekend. As Sam said the roll bar took a real beating but did its job and as a result Stuart emerged with nothing but a stiff neck and a bit of a shaking.
It was suggested that Stuart had been very lucky but in my opinion luck had nothing to do with it. Stuart had the foresight to see that his head was level with the top of the roll bar and asked Mike Waite (MW Fabrications) to extend it, Mike did just that and also braced not only the extension but also the original hoop and gusseted them both.
Stuart's foresight and Mike's quality fabrication saved Stuart's life, its as simple as that. We watched the incident live on the big screen and the severity of the roll shocked all who were there. The consequences of not having enough clearance between the drivers head and the roll hoop don't bear thinking about. This issue of roll bars and extensions is being checked and addressed immediately with the Chief Formula Ford Scrutineer from the MSA and recommendations will be made to all competitors in Historic FF1600, I would recommend that other championships do the same.
We can straighten the cars but not the people all of whom are our friends, prevention is always better than the cure.
Good post thank you.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 15:23 (Ref:3756731)   #172
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well my intended Superbee transportation didn't transpire as we (the owner and I) both expected bad weather. As it turns out we were wrong on that point but just as well we left it at home as foolishly we followed the official signs off the A43 which took us into Silverstone village and into a 1hr queue to get to the entrance

Had a decent time looking round the paddocks, managed to have a quick chat with Delta but couldn't find Mike. Nice to see Rudi Eggenberger getting stuck into working on the Sierra from New Zealand. Loved the JPS BMW but didn't realise till later that Jim Richards was driving it. Damn.

Didn't see any racing and left quite early as my 'driver' needed an early night but its relighted my racing candle......busy winter ahead
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 1 Aug 2017, 18:55 (Ref:3756763)   #173
SamBinfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ludwigsburg, DE
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thanks for that, Sam. Didn't realise it was your Dad's E Type. From the position of the car- inside the corner- thought it had to be a failure. Mr Pearson should at least buy your Dad a drink, as without the resultant red flag he likely wouldn't have won the race.....

BTW, well done in your Titan in the FF races. Far from shabby results in that field!
He can buy us a bonnet if he likes

Thank you though I can't claim any credit for the Titan as I was renting Mk8 Motorsport's Elden Mk10 for the meeting - Titan still in pieces since Cadwell last year sadly.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3756770)   #174
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Thank you though I can't claim any credit for the Titan as I was renting Mk8 Motorsport's Elden Mk10 for the meeting - Titan still in pieces since Cadwell last year sadly.
Well, whatever you were driving- well done!
Old 1 Aug 2017, 20:42 (Ref:3756784)   #175
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear the Formula Ford driver was ok.