Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 2 Aug 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2514117)   #1
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2010 IndyCar Schedule

Well, here is the 2010 IndyCar schedule. This was announced this weekend at Kentucky. I just want to say I am very disappointed in this schedule. We lose ovals and gain a couple road courses, not to mention one more out of country, Terrible! We have no Richmond, Milwaukee, Michigan, Las Vegas, Phoenix, New Hampshire... And we only get 17 races again. Horrible!

Here is the schedule..

Date / Track (Venue) / Track Type

3-14-10 / Brazil / Road Course TBA
3-28-10 / Streets of St. Petersburg, Florida / 1.8 Mile Street Course
4-11-10 / Barber Motorsports Park / 2.38 Mile Road Course
4-18-10 / Streets of Long Beach, California / 1.968 Mile Street Course
5-1-10 / Kansas Speedway / 1.5 Mile Oval
5-30-10 / Indianapolis Motor Speedway / 2.5 Mile Oval
6-12-10 / Texas Motor Speedway / 1.5 Mile Oval -Night Race
6-20-10 / Iowa Speedway / .875 Mile Oval
7-4-10 / Watkins Glen International / 3.37 Mile Road Course
7-18-10 / Streets of Toronto / 1.721 Mile Street Course
7-25-10 / Edmonton Centre City Airport, Alberta / 1.973 Mile Airport Course
8-8-10 / Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course / 2.258 Mile Road Course
8-22-10 / Infineon Raceway / 2.245 Mile Road Course
8-28-10 / Chicagoland Speedway / 1.5 Mile Oval
9-4-10 or 9-5-10 (Labor Day Weekend) / Kentucky Speedway / 1.5 Mile Oval - Night Race
9-18-10 / Twin Ring Motegi, Japan / 1.5 Mile Oval
10-2-10 / Homstead-Miami Speedway / 1.5 Mile Oval
Old 2 Aug 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2514127)   #2
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, good balance between ovals(with different shapes), road and street course.

A part of the good ol' Indycar is back.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2514206)   #3
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
State Fair vs. World Stage

That's what I'll call this, and I realize the concept is not a profound one from posts I have read by devotees of U.S. open wheel racing who have been much more attentive during the last 25 years than have I.

I thought the original concept of the IRL's formation was the creation of an oval track series which was more accessable to American drivers, presumably in American built chassis with American built engines. On the grand scale, I don't think that floated too many people's (Billy) Boat.

No need to rehash all of the myriad political, technical and financial upheavals that have occurred in the interim...the face of today's IRL is completely international, and most from the early days are back at the homestead flying a Kite.

If you can sell 100,000 tickets to State Fair attendees, or to fans who make the journey to their local 3/4 mile bullring, then I guess you're on a road to success. That's what potential sponsors and television executives would think, too.

Wait until you see what kind of buzz will be created as the first race on the 2010 schedule approaches. Even without their hometown heroes to cheer for, Brazilians will propell this event onto the world stage with their enthusiasm for motor racing and their day in the sun. I wrenched at a couple of Formula Ford races in Venezuela long ago, you would have thought it was the F1 circus coming to town from the local reaction to the event and the chance to cheer on their loca drivers. Think Ferrari fans at Monza.

So I say, let the Series continue to evolve in the direction it is headed: an international challenge that will likely never supplant F1, but will augment its appeal by the marked differences that will continue to exist between the two series. The huge State Fair that is Indianapolis will always be the centerpiece, and competitive oval racing at appropriate venues will always be welcomed by the American motor racing fan. And the Japanese motor racing fan. And hopefully everyone in between, along with the corporate sponsors who jump at the chance to participate in the international appeal.

I'm no soccer [football] fan, but lately I hear that the U.S. team is generating national and international attention by becoming competitive on the world stage. I don't think their recent success was borne from American kids growing up as they learned to play American style soccer, and waving the flag as they gave those foreigners the what-for. I think they adopted the style of the international game, and coopted some of the world's best talent, to become the emerging force that they now represent. Global market, indeed.

Road course racing is the style that most international fans have grown up on: true in large part for most of the current IRL driver lineup. It is the most demanding test for their skill, as it is for the designers and engineers who take up the challenge.

So long as the expenditures for staging international events does not outstrip the revenue, I say let it grow. There's a lovely little track not too far from Watkins Glen, in the heart of one of North America's most beautiful cities, and steeped in the tradition of world class motor racing. Apparently F1 doesn't consider L'Ille de Notre Dame as a suitable place to set up the circus. I say it's a great road course and a short step to another entance onto the world stage for the IRL. We shall see if Alabama generates the same attention, or draws the same throngs of local fans to support their hometown heroes. I don't think Paul Tracy drinks Mountain Dew...

Whatever you wash it down with, this is not a corn dogs vs. quiche argument. It's about cooking up a menu that feeds the appetite of all motor racing fans: keep giving them a little taste of the kind of racing we saw last night at Kentucky, and they will come to the table. So will the dollars, and the euros, and the yen.

They don't have state sales tax in New Hampshire, but they don't have too many greenbacks to count there either. And I doubt they can make change for a Euro, even if you're just headed to the State Fair to grab a corn dog and watch the pickup truck race.

All-American is great. It's just not for the future of the IRL. Ours is just one of the many flags of competiton to wave: take the racing anywhere there are fans hungry for it, and drop the one we all share. Green.

Andrew Bernstein
Old 2 Aug 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2514260)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motegi in late September, should've come to the Gold Coast aswell - especially with 2 winning Australians & a New Zealand champion who was born there in the series
Old 2 Aug 2009, 22:47 (Ref:2514264)   #5
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without question, so long as the dollars would work.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 23:43 (Ref:2514284)   #6
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan View Post
Well, here is the 2010 IndyCar schedule. This was announced this weekend at Kentucky. I just want to say I am very disappointed in this schedule. We lose ovals and gain a couple road courses, not to mention one more out of country, Terrible! We have no Richmond, Milwaukee, Michigan, Las Vegas, Phoenix, New Hampshire... And we only get 17 races again. Horrible!

Here is the schedule..

Date / Track (Venue) / Track Type

3-14-10 / Brazil / Road Course TBA
3-28-10 / Streets of St. Petersburg, Florida / 1.8 Mile Street Course
4-11-10 / Barber Motorsports Park / 2.38 Mile Road Course
4-18-10 / Streets of Long Beach, California / 1.968 Mile Street Course
5-1-10 / Kansas Speedway / 1.5 Mile Oval
5-30-10 / Indianapolis Motor Speedway / 2.5 Mile Oval
6-12-10 / Texas Motor Speedway / 1.5 Mile Oval -Night Race
6-20-10 / Iowa Speedway / .875 Mile Oval
7-4-10 / Watkins Glen International / 3.37 Mile Road Course
7-18-10 / Streets of Toronto / 1.721 Mile Street Course
7-25-10 / Edmonton Centre City Airport, Alberta / 1.973 Mile Airport Course
8-8-10 / Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course / 2.258 Mile Road Course
8-22-10 / Infineon Raceway / 2.245 Mile Road Course
8-28-10 / Chicagoland Speedway / 1.5 Mile Oval
9-4-10 or 9-5-10 (Labor Day Weekend) / Kentucky Speedway / 1.5 Mile Oval - Night Race
9-18-10 / Twin Ring Motegi, Japan / 1.5 Mile Oval
10-2-10 / Homstead-Miami Speedway / 1.5 Mile Oval
The only reason you don't like it is because your Queen Danica just has more places to suck at now.
Old 3 Aug 2009, 04:22 (Ref:2514326)   #7
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
No, you are wrong Matt. First off Danica can race at any track, that has nothing to do with it. I just dont like it. How can anyone like it ? We were first told at least 18 races, now again, you only have 17 and you lose 2 great ovals and pick up another out of country race. This is not good.
Old 3 Aug 2009, 05:53 (Ref:2514342)   #8
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I'd like to know why it's not good.
Old 3 Aug 2009, 06:20 (Ref:2514345)   #9
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
For me, too many good tracks are missing (Loudon, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Road America, Portland, Cleveland, Laguna Seca) and a few that adds little or shouldn't be on there (Sonoma, Texas, Barber). Brazil may or may not work, depending on where they go. Interlagos would work, but there's already F1 there so I don't see what IndyCar have to offer. Too bad they tore up Jaceparagua...
Old 3 Aug 2009, 06:32 (Ref:2514347)   #10
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Quote:
Ive already explained why its not good twice... What is hard to understand ??
Old 3 Aug 2009, 06:36 (Ref:2514348)   #11
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Hey Jimmy,

Agreed on Phoenix, Road America, Cleveland and Laguna. The IRL and Brazil will make Brazil work, they will find a good way to go.
Old 3 Aug 2009, 06:43 (Ref:2514352)   #12
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan View Post
Ive already explained why its not good twice... What is hard to understand ??
Your massive bias.

Last I remember, NHIS sucked for the IRL.

I also see nothing wrong with going out of the country. The old Indycar did it, so why can't the new one?
Old 3 Aug 2009, 06:49 (Ref:2514354)   #13
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its too far away to go to Surfers and not too far to go to Japan - Go figure!

:censor:
Old 3 Aug 2009, 07:43 (Ref:2514375)   #14
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Your massive bias.

Last I remember, NHIS sucked for the IRL.

I also see nothing wrong with going out of the country. The old Indycar did it, so why can't the new one?
From what old CART races I've seen NH looked pretty good. But then I've always been a sucker for short ovals. The reasons for going to Brazil is entirely valid, I only questioned how much it will interest me. Kind of like F1 at the Nürburgring. Good enough, but doesn't really add anything. Surfers Paradise, however, did.
Old 3 Aug 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2514588)   #15
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not a great schedule, too many 1.5 mile ovals IMO. They really need to put either the Milwaukee Mile or Road America back on and MIS. Not sure why Surfer's couldn't be accomodated either, once you're on a fly away leg, the costs wouldn't increase all that much to add a second stop, especially for what has been such a popular race
Old 3 Aug 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2514601)   #16
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Surfers couldnt be accomodated because the IRL tried to tell the Gold Coast when they were gonna hosting it. GC told them to stuff off and have got A1GP instead now.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 05:44 (Ref:2515171)   #17
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think V8 Supercar had something big to do with that Gold Coast decision aswell...
Old 4 Aug 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2515746)   #18
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Surfers was all about dates...
It meant it would have been the final round and the agreement was with Chicagoland or Miami...
So it didn't fit.
Silly really.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2515757)   #19
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
That's another for the "wasted opportunity" column. With the Down Under boys having so much to say about the championship, I would imagine that the local support would be fanatic. Just how it should be....
Old 5 Aug 2009, 00:09 (Ref:2515818)   #20
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Surfers was all about dates...
It meant it would have been the final round and the agreement was with Chicagoland or Miami...
So it didn't fit.
Silly really.
Surfers wanted to be the final round? Why?!

I've never seen Barber's race course but who runs there? Why would they choose it over Road America?

Going to Brazil has as much meaning as going to Australia. Brazilians are racing fanatics and as long as Helio, Matos, Kanaan, Moraes and Meira stick around, there's more than enough reasons for Brazilians to show up. Heck, if Junqueira finds a ride and if, heaven forbid (hope they don't leave ALMS), Gil de Ferran goes back to single seaters, there's plenty reasons for Brazilians to show up.

Aren't Sonoma and Texas traditional NASCAR courses? Even Watkins Glen was normally a NASCAR course, although, from what I've seen from the course, it ain't that bad a place.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 00:11 (Ref:2515820)   #21
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm really not keen on the schedule. IMO its too short & too many good tracks are missing leaving important markets untapped.

I always thought that if Surfers was a no no due to the conflicting dates then the series should have moved to Adelaide. A great track, twin it with the V8s & you have a huge crowd of several hundred thousand over the weekend with a good late March date. Have it as part of the fly away races with Motegi & then have Brazil later in the season with a race in Mexico. That way the season shouldn't start or finish abroad & you'd still be visiting the same places.

Also Indycar seems to have missed its oppertunity to get into the Montreal market whilst F1 is away. Bernie has said that they're going back there next year...bad decision IMO.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 5 Aug 2009, 01:11 (Ref:2515837)   #22
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Always,

Yes, I just read today of Bernie's plan to revisit Montreal. Another missed oportunity for IRL. That could have been magic, just like Brazil will be.

Andrew, I agree completely with your views on international expansion. As for the U.S. tracks, Watkins Glen is among our most historic road racing venues, having been the site of F1 and Cart series races for many years. I believe the intrusion of NASCAR came sometime after the FI circus skipped town.

Sonoma is similarly shared ground, and certainly not in the heart of good ol' boy country. Either or both of those road courses are solid venues for the IRL in my opinion: provided they are financially viable, that is. As for Texas...

We have to keep some ovals in addition to Indianapolis. I can't even keep track of how many there are sometimes, as I'm a born road racer. So their selection comes down to which are most profitable and yield the best racing, right? The first criteria is a mystery to me, the second is a bit of guesswork. I'd always lean toward the bigger ovals, 1.5 mile like Texas: I think it gets too confusing on bullrings when the leaders are darting past cars that are 12 laps down, while still holding the racing line. Kansas was a great race that was not altered too much by backmarkers: I think that is a good thing and a reason to dump the smaller tracks when given the choice.

I voted for Phoenix in an earlier post, and reconsidered that track too: my guess would be that it doesn't generate much revenue, and this is one old 1 mile bowl that is not conducive to putting on the best of today's show. That's the old school in me, paying homage to JR and Gordo... now, Chicago makes alot more sense.

Wherever Morningstar and others get their info on promoter fees and income streams, that's a place I want to do some reading. It would explain alot more of the decision making, which makes for a schedule that looks really hard to justify on the surface.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 01:54 (Ref:2515848)   #23
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No Milwaukee? Hmm... it really turns me off of the series. Of course, they haven't been at Michigan and Fontana in ages, and those tracks in my mind must be a part of the triple crown of 500 milers.

Ideal IndyCar schedule

1. Long Beach
2. Fontana
3. Las Vegas
4. Indianapolis
5. Milwaukee
6. Cleveland
7. Toronto
8. Montreal
9. Michigan
10. Mid-Ohio
11. Elkhart Lake
12. New Hampshire
13. Edmonton
14. Watkins Glen
15. Australia (Gold Coast)
16. Motegi
17. Phoenix
18. Vancouver
19. Rio Oval
20. Laguna Seca

Put 'em on ovals that WORK for IndyCars, put 'em in markets that attract crowds AND SPONSORS and make sure that there is consistency and history in the schedule.

I really hope Terry Angstadt puts Milwaukee on the schedule in the open date. It would be a sort of "leading loser" for the IndyCar series. Sure it loses money, but the attraction to the quality of racing, and the history on that track and building it as one of the staples of the championship for the future could be invaluable.

Chris
Old 5 Aug 2009, 02:15 (Ref:2515858)   #24
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Chris,

On balance, I would SCREAM for your schedule over the one that was selected.Trading out Chicago and Iowa for Fontana and Michigan seems like a win-win on the surface. All the other road courses you added are on my list, too. Milwaukee and Phoenix don't thrill me, but they fit into the validity of your "heritage" point of view. Reading between the lines, I still don't think Milwaukee is dead for 2010.

Now it would take a money guy to explain why your list is less feasable than the lineup as it stands now. I wouldn't bother splitting hairs over your schedule: that is a world class, World Stage series.

Andy
Old 5 Aug 2009, 06:08 (Ref:2515905)   #25
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Homestead has the contract to be the season finale. It's not that Surfers wanted that position, but rather that it would mean moving Homestead later, which wouldn't make NASCAR happy I suspect (their finales are at Homestead in November).

Milwaukee has financial issues, so that's probably why that one is up in the air. In theory, that track still has a contract to run Indy Cars for a few more years.

Barber seems an odd choice, and I don't see it as a track where high-powered cars will put on that good of a show. As I've heard it, Road America was a track rental in the latter stages of CART. IndyCar is looking for venues that will pay them a sanction fee.

I'm very tired of all the moderately banked, 1.5-mile ovals (six of the eight ovals on the schedule). I'd drop a couple of those in favor of Michigan and Pocono. On the road racing front, bring back Road America and Cleveland! And honestly, if they're going to stick to running the bike layout, I'm not terribly keen on keeping Sears Point on the schedule.