Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 23 Mar 2010, 13:22 (Ref:2658581)   #26
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
JackN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was in Smiths and nearly bought the Senna book until something at the back of my mind reminded me of this thread! So thanks guys!!

I enjoyed JYS' autobiography, an interesting read. David Coulthard's It Is What It Is was dreadful. I couldnt get beyond the first few chapters. No detail, just vague "the race went well and i was happy". BOOORRRIINNG.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 15:12 (Ref:2658637)   #27
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One of the worst I've read is Martin Hines' Every Split Second Counts. There are plenty of factual mistakes and a large part of the book is devoted to his sexual exploits. The funniest thing about it was that when it was first for sale on amazon.co.uk, one of his ex-wives posted a pretty vitriolic statement in the buyers comments section beneath the book... which stayed there for quite a while. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned !

The Lost Generation is a very interesting read, so too is Murray Walkers' autobiography. Jackie Stewart spends a lot of time talking about the appropriateness of his attire and glorifying Fred the Shred [I'm sure he regrets that now]... but I found the early part of his story about his dyslexia quite engaging.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2658665)   #28
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
One of the worst I've read is Martin Hines' Every Split Second Counts. There are plenty of factual mistakes and a large part of the book is devoted to his sexual exploits. The funniest thing about it was that when it was first for sale on amazon.co.uk, one of his ex-wives posted a pretty vitriolic statement in the buyers comments section beneath the book... which stayed there for quite a while. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned !
I wouldn't have thought Martin Hines to have enough public stature to be able to flog a book out there. But I see it on Amazon here actually.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 18:41 (Ref:2658783)   #29
Roadtonowhere
Rookie

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Roadtonowhere should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport did a special report on 'The Good' The Bad and the Ugly' of Motorsport biographies it was late in 2009. but i haven't got the issue to hand at the moment.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 19:54 (Ref:2658819)   #30
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Mostly I've always been disappointed with Christopher Hilton's books. A lot of 2nd hand info, lots of words but no red meat substance overall.

There was one of his I read "The mind of the grand prix driver"(something like that) and most of the substance was a few interviews with guys like Julian Bailey and the rest being 2nd hand quotes. Somewhat interesting but really lacking. Glad I picked it up for $1.00 used. Full price and I would have lost it.
Not sure. I quite liked Hiltons book on the 1938 and 1939 Grand Prix`s at Donington. But then it is my only book of him.
Old 24 Mar 2010, 02:16 (Ref:2658990)   #31
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread here sums up Bill Woods below-par effort with "Legends of Speed"
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=legends+speed

Quote:
Mostly I've always been disappointed with Christopher Hilton's books. A lot of 2nd hand info, lots of words but no red meat substance overall.
His book on the 1955 Le Mans accident wasn't too bad
Old 24 Mar 2010, 06:49 (Ref:2659049)   #32
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was given a biography of Michael Schumacher (in German) right after his 2nd title back in 96 but I must say I don't like it at all. I got a few other biographies too and must say as a general rule of thumb that I avoid biographies and autobiographies of drivers that are still active. Especially biographies of F1 drivers who are 2 or 3 years in that class are rather annoying than enjoying to me since these are mainly made for commercial success instead of really having something to tell. Quite similar to these odd "documentary movies" as of late which use an historic aspect as an excuse for another romantic story.

I have read quite some good biographies too. Listing them all would lead way too far but I really liked the biography on Stefan Bellof by Rainer Braun, the biography on Martin "Flying Finn" Finnegan by Stephen Davison and the autobiography Racing in the rain by John Horsman
Old 24 Mar 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2659326)   #33
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I wouldn't have thought Martin Hines to have enough public stature to be able to flog a book out there. But I see it on Amazon here actually.
It's one of those books that you see in every bookshop like WH Smiths. It's one of those like Rubython's Senna, JYS' autobiog and the various Lewis books that you see all the time. Never bothered picking it up and didn't plan on doing so - I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but...
Old 24 Mar 2010, 19:01 (Ref:2659357)   #34
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
It's one of those books that you see in every bookshop like WH Smiths. It's one of those like Rubython's Senna, JYS' autobiog and the various Lewis books that you see all the time. Never bothered picking it up and didn't plan on doing so - I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but...
All I know about him is he's a karting guru(not something I follow) and he started that defunct Zip formula series, but that's it. Who knows maybe there is an exciting story there.
Old 24 Mar 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2659386)   #35
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I've seen the Martin Hines book in loads of shops but I'm not really interested in karting (though I acknowledge its importance) so I've never bothered with it.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 08:13 (Ref:2659658)   #36
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm a dyed in the wool kartist... have been for 30 years... and would have a positive bias towards any publication related to the sport. Having read many motorsport books over the years, I can honestly say that this is streets behind any other in how awful it is. By the way, I must follow this up with something as the karting world is a small one and I have encountered Martin many times. As a person, a racer and a figure within the sport, Martin is legendary. His contribution to karting in this country can not be understated and his enthusiasm for it unparalleled. Martin, the man, is worthy of a biography far better than this.

On the flip side, one of the best motorsport books I've read has been Crashed and Byrned. I know this thread is about bad books, but if you've not picked that one up yet, do.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2659737)   #37
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
On the flip side, one of the best motorsport books I've read has been Crashed and Byrned. I know this thread is about bad books, but if you've not picked that one up yet, do.
Agreed. Working the Wheel and Flat Out, Flat Broke are also excellent books.

I received the Tom Rubython book for Christmas. I'd not read any reviews on it or even heard of Mr Rubython's reputation. I tried reading it. I want the time I spent trying to read it back. I was constantly thinking "Surely this gets better?" It never did and I never finished it. Sorry Dad, the intention is appreciated though!
Old 26 Mar 2010, 20:36 (Ref:2660654)   #38
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the subject of Martin Hines, is it true that he tested for McLaren a few times until he wrecked a car at Idiada testing circuit in Spain?
Old 26 Mar 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2660681)   #39
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
On the subject of Martin Hines, is it true that he tested for McLaren a few times until he wrecked a car at Idiada testing circuit in Spain?
Yes he did crash a contemporary McLaren F1 car at a test. He wasn't a regular tester for them.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 20:18 (Ref:2817493)   #40
Corktree
Rookie

United States
Corktree should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
Not sure. I quite liked Hiltons book on the 1938 and 1939 Grand Prix`s at Donington. But then it is my only book of him.
Although Chris did credible jobs with the books on the '37 & '38 Donington races, the '55 Le Mans race, and the 1982 season, perhaps his best effort was the Nuvolari book. I was surprised when he contacted me regarding the work he was doing on the book and the '33 Tripoli race in particular.

Any listing of "bad" motor racing books would far outweigh a similar listing of "good" book concerning motor racing. This is not a new trend, there being many horrid examples that can be dredged up from the past, those from the 50s and 60s alone would make many of the howlers of today look as if they were worthy of serious consideration for national book awards....
Old 19 Jan 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2817922)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Hi Gary, I was giver 'Whizzo' as a Christmas present from my wife ("it's about a racing driver, but I've never heard of him, I hope you have!"), and found it most entertaining, and could hear the old boy relating the tales as I read them. In fact I rationed my reading so I didn't finish it too quickly!

Having been driven through France with some gusto on the way to the first Le Mans Classic in 2002 by Whizzo, I must get around to reading this one some time soon!
Old 20 Jan 2011, 13:06 (Ref:2818281)   #42
69stang
Rookie

69stang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been pretty lucky over the years to avoid the "bad" books while building my library. Out of around 1000 titles, I truly only have a few duds that offer no positive contribution. Some might be light on content, but they still fill a need.

But because it is a recent addition, I have to add "FORMULA 5000 MOTOR RACING, Back Then...and Back Now" by Derek Lawson. A VERY expensive book to find in the states and a very disappointing purchase for me.

Though he provides a race to race narration of the early seasons, the book is very dry and dull. Basic details of many early F5000 races are presented, but without color or interest. The captions of the photos (which are nice work) are truly awful. The writer almost assumes you know the cars and drivers prior to reading his book and offers brief conversational quibs without any real content as to what your seeing. In fact, the photo captions are almost confusing at times.

Though FA / 5000 remains one of my greater passions in motorsports, I am sad to say this book provided no great addition to my collection. I recommend you pass on this purchase.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2818286)   #43
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I imagine this could prove controvertial, but i nominate 'The Pirahna Club'. It was always highly rated and people i know who read it enjoyed it, but i just found it so...............so.............boring. So it sits, collecting dust, unlikely to ever be read.
Old 20 Jan 2011, 16:38 (Ref:2818383)   #44
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
I imagine this could prove controvertial, but i nominate 'The Pirahna Club'. It was always highly rated and people i know who read it enjoyed it, but i just found it so...............so.............boring. So it sits, collecting dust, unlikely to ever be read.
if it's not going to be read, how do you know it's boring??
Old 20 Jan 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2818429)   #45
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I must have read at least 80 pages. But nothing compelled me to keep on turning.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 23:18 (Ref:3002051)   #46
Crawford Fan
Rookie

Crawford Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to nominate 'Niki Lauda and the Grand Prix Gladiators', by Ronnie Mutch.

Absolutely horrific, and a complete missed opportunity as he had good access to Lauda at the peak of his career. I've just picked it up off the shelf to reassure myself it is as bad as I remember... and it is. The photographs include one of a Durex Surtees above one of the Penthouse sponsored Hesketh. The accompanying caption? "Wouldn't it be fun if this car banged that one?"

I may use it to kindle the fire.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 01:57 (Ref:3002092)   #47
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I could not agree with the above more - its terrible.

Much relieved not to be mentioned so far on this thread - though thats asking for it!

But a lot if it is to do with PR - look at films - Senna is at best average (and inferior to 'a star named ayrton senna') whilst TT3D Closer to the edge is AMAZING (oh yes worth the caps)
Old 20 Dec 2011, 07:32 (Ref:3002126)   #48
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Early this year i picked up 'The Man in White' (Ben Collins) for £2 in 'The Works'. I thought 'Hey, this might be alright, he had a varied and interesting junior career, i will give it a read'. Well, he covered from the first time he sat in a car, his entire racing career up to his Top Gear debut in one chapter........

From then on it is 'Clarkson said this, so i said that and it was well funny. waff waff waff'.

I might chuck it on the fire, whenever i see the spine in the bookcase i just get angry.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 10:46 (Ref:3002171)   #49
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I recognise some of the clangers on this thread. A thoughtful relative bought me a Hambo biography one Christmas after his first season. I'll read drivers biogs after their careers or at least late in their careers. It still lies on my shelf unread. Ditto Rubython's The Life of Senna. The reviews are so awful I haven't really picked it up. I'm fairly busy and haven't time to read what everybody agrees is the unreadable. Priaulx's book is supposed to read like a bunch of hackneyed-together press releases.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 11:10 (Ref:3002179)   #50
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both Hilton & Hamilton's books on Ken Tyrrell are very poor. A pity as i think that Tyrrell was a great character and the story of how he kept his team alive for so long does deserve telling. There was supposed to be lots of wheeling & dealing; there was the 6 wheel tyrrell (which was originally supposed to have the first Renault Turbo engine, I think), there was the secret of his eventual Renault customer deal, there was the marketing linkage with Mclaren etc etc. Not sure that any of this was done justice, too, just repeats of the well known stories of the "froth jobs" etc.
And there was no real anaysis of why Tyrrell failed to recognise the new commercial era of the 80s when he had been one of the earliest to court Elf, Goodyear & First National City. Avoid.