Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score do you give it?
10 0 0%
9 3 4.17%
8 11 15.28%
7 23 31.94%
6 18 25.00%
5 8 11.11%
4 5 6.94%
3 3 4.17%
2 0 0%
1 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Apr 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3233804)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rate the race - Chinese Grand Prix

What score do you give it?
Old 14 Apr 2013, 09:01 (Ref:3233807)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Terrible ‘race’.

No actual battles until the final 6-7 laps.

Teams are now in a situation where there’s no point racing until the final laps, as it just does damage to their race.

I can’t remember the last time I saw so many non-battles. Drivers are no longer making any attempt to defend a position.

I have to do a complete u-turn on my philosophy. I gave the tyres a chance, and i’m all for aggressive strategies, but it’s officially killed the idea of an on-track battle.

Let’s please be sensible with DRS, too. Why stick it on a 1km long straight?! Zero common sense being applied. Let’s create another overtaking spot, surely.

I say we go back to last year’s tyres and be super aggressive with the compound choice (ie. using softs/super softs for 90% of the remaining races), and let’s be sensible about DRS placement.

I honestly could have done without 48 of those laps today, and that’s really sad.

(I voted a 3)

Selby
Old 14 Apr 2013, 09:02 (Ref:3233808)   #3
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Not bad, some interesting moments, but not a classic. 7
Old 14 Apr 2013, 09:08 (Ref:3233812)   #4
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excitement factor 8 for me.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 09:21 (Ref:3233820)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not meaning to ***** or anything, but honestly, does anyone remember a race with such little wheel to wheel battles?

Now i'm not talking in the refuelling era where no one had an opportunity to, I mean as far as having the opportunity to, but opting out?

I've been a fan for 15 years, and I can't remember the last time that every overtake looked like it was under a blue flag.

There was one real overtake, and that was Vettel on Massa in to the non-DRS hairpin.

Selby
Old 14 Apr 2013, 09:35 (Ref:3233835)   #6
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
6 for me - not a great race by any means - plenty going on but it was too much like one of Mosely's "chess games" than a motor race. Gets a 6 for the anticipation of what would happen in the last few laps - turned out to be pretty good but take the whole weekend as a package and the path taken with tyres is not doing the sport any favours.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 09:45 (Ref:3233844)   #7
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
A bit of a yawn race but there were some good strategic battles so its at 7
Old 14 Apr 2013, 09:50 (Ref:3233848)   #8
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gave it an 8. exciting and tactical, I honestly dont get what people are moaning about.

thank you pirelli. and anyone who thimks otherwise, go back and rewatch 2004
Old 14 Apr 2013, 09:55 (Ref:3233853)   #9
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually thought it was brilliant. The DRS zones were a bit too long, but the strategy battle was intriguing. Start on options or primes, two stops or three stops, where are you going to drop in on the next stop, how many laps before the end should you put on the options and how much can you gain on them? If I didn't have the live timing in front of me it would have been a bit too much though!
Old 14 Apr 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3233854)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
I gave it an 8. exciting and tactical, I honestly dont get what people are moaning about.

thank you pirelli. and anyone who thimks otherwise, go back and rewatch 2004
I was just like you before this race.

Completely didn't get what all the moaning was about. I don't know what happened, but I just suddenly noticed we had zero on-track battles anymore.

No wheel to wheel. It all looked like blue flags, and that really, really sucks.

I think it's more of a 'me' thing. I just suddenly noticed and joined the dark side, I think

Selby
Old 14 Apr 2013, 10:21 (Ref:3233861)   #11
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
But Dan, if that's the case, that you enjoyed all this before but not this race, could it not just be this race rather than an overall F1 problem. Today was tactical and had very marginal tyres, but there will be other races that are different, races where there will be more aggressive battles. They can't be wheel to wheel every lap of every race, sometimes its a bit of tension from these differing strategies that make the race enjoyable.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 10:25 (Ref:3233862)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I think more reasonable tyres (ie. not using the softs) would have helped. Better DRS placement, also.

But you're right. I've been cool with the first two races, but this one really took the biscuit, and more importantly, took the enjoyment out of it for me.

I just knew any time someone was cruising up behind someone, that was it. Game over.

That's not entertaining or even real really, is it?

The balance just felt so off today that it left me with such a bitter taste in my mouth.

Selby
Old 14 Apr 2013, 10:39 (Ref:3233868)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another race spoiled by the tyre situation I am afraid. 6.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 11:09 (Ref:3233894)   #14
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I think more reasonable tyres (ie. not using the softs) would have helped. Better DRS placement, also.

But you're right. I've been cool with the first two races, but this one really took the biscuit, and more importantly, took the enjoyment out of it for me.

I just knew any time someone was cruising up behind someone, that was it. Game over.

That's not entertaining or even real really, is it?

The balance just felt so off today that it left me with such a bitter taste in my mouth.

Selby
I do agree actually. DRS needs to be a bit shorter, i like it when DRS brings the car behind close but not past. And yes the tyres were extreme and could have done with being just a bit more hard wearing. But then in Korea last year the tyres were a little on the conservative side and the race was particularly dull! I dont think we can ever be pleased.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 11:16 (Ref:3233902)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Oh we can man! Most races since Pirelli have arrived have been great!

I just think some common sense often gets overlooked.

Selby
Old 14 Apr 2013, 11:17 (Ref:3233905)   #16
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Today, they basically told the drivers 'don't bother racing'.

I mean, why would they? Why screw up your tyres when you could breeze past, with no resistance from matey in front?

The DRS zones were just plain dumb, I can't think of any other way of putting it. It's not fair on the spectators to see drivers not bothering to have a race.

It felt like a series of time-trials where everyone moved out of eachother's way, and that's sad.

Selby
Old 14 Apr 2013, 12:55 (Ref:3233955)   #17
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

below average because of the tire situation, too many drivers laying down because of it
Old 14 Apr 2013, 13:33 (Ref:3233972)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
6. Average...
Old 14 Apr 2013, 13:51 (Ref:3233983)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
5 - and that's generous. Just lucky I'm sitting at Club at Silverstone watching something far more interesting.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3233991)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I was just like you before this race.

Completely didn't get what all the moaning was about. I don't know what happened, but I just suddenly noticed we had zero on-track battles anymore.

No wheel to wheel. It all looked like blue flags, and that really, really sucks.

I think it's more of a 'me' thing. I just suddenly noticed and joined the dark side, I think

Selby
I have to agree with you, Selby. The radio comm traffic we heard in the States here centered around asking for permission to race, defend or hold position. Responses came from the various team's Department of Tyre Compound Longevity and so the drivers were (imho) kept on rather tight leashes.

Qualies were a bit of a joke as teams attempted to NOT go out, which Mc and RBR managed to avoid doing in Q3. I can't wait till a team discovers that intermediate rains are "better" than a particular compound selection brought by Pirelli (at the behest of FOMA) and run them in the dry...

While Alonso won, how do we know he was really the fastest as opposed to being the least limited by the tyres?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 14:04 (Ref:3233992)   #21
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Today, they basically told the drivers 'don't bother racing'.

I mean, why would they? Why screw up your tyres when you could breeze past, with no resistance from matey in front?

The DRS zones were just plain dumb, I can't think of any other way of putting it. It's not fair on the spectators to see drivers not bothering to have a race.

It felt like a series of time-trials where everyone moved out of eachother's way, and that's sad.

Selby
Exactly.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 14:05 (Ref:3233993)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I'll go out on a limb and give it a 3 just because of the sheer drama involved in finding out what might go wrong with Webbo's car next...
Old 14 Apr 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3234027)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not the best race I've seen. The first 5 laps were good as were the last 5 otherwise nothing else to say. 5
Old 14 Apr 2013, 16:30 (Ref:3234061)   #24
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
It seemed to go on forever. I thought it must be over soon and then noticed it was lap 28/56. May be the last one I watch. Sorry.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 16:41 (Ref:3234067)   #25
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm so tired I rated it wrong. Gave it a seven by accident when I was giving it a 4.

Honestly I was half asleep between lap 30 and 50. Complete lack of overtaking as expected just like the re-fuelling days, but with slower more boring, ugly cars racing at five tenths for most of the run. The same people criticising the refuelling days and claiming how ''boring'' it was are the same people acting like Pirelli is the best thing to ever happen to the sport and Paul Hembery is the second coming of Christ.

Some good battles early made it decent and the last lap with Vettel and Hamilton was cool, but still below average. 4