Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 3 Jul 2015, 23:23 (Ref:3555706)   #1
Frentzen
Rookie

Frentzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula FF1600 test days

Hi,

I have one question regarding the FF1600 cars. I have good 125cc karting experience but but never been in a single seater before. How many days of testing would you recommend before signing up to race weekends?

I am not aiming for winning the race but want to be competitive at the bottom half (1 or 1.5 sec off fastest cars). I am trying to balancing my budget for test days and race weekends, so please do not spare the tips and advice.
Old 9 Jul 2015, 13:30 (Ref:3556993)   #2
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's this DAYS of testing? If you are a Karter you are more than eligible to get out there...

I know the Classic (sometimes) and our Historic FF Series (mostly) have part or full practice days at the track just before each race to get us into the groove. Some do some don't.

Some clubs allow drivers to join in with practice for a reduced amount and not race - you could see how you go at that. If that happens and you are happy with your time you may have the chance to pay for the race and join in.

If you've got an old 'un you are welcome to join us.

Good luck and have fun. HFF Dick D.
Old 13 Jul 2015, 19:23 (Ref:3558298)   #3
sk69
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
sk69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are serious about wanting to be as competitive as possible given your experience & equipment you should do 2 or 3 tests before racing preferably with whoever will be running you at races (or if self running an experienced FF engineer). The feel of a single seater is completely different to that of a kart & you need to be acclimatised to your car & go as quickly as you can & it will in it's normally set up state to set a baseline before you start adapting it to what you think is your driving style.

Without doing this you will find it hard to know whether you or the car needs to be adapted without the added brain pressure of trying to overtake/defend. Lines are different & braking more so. If you can afford to be run professionally even if just for your initial outings you will save yourself a huge amount of time (& probably money in expensive mistakes) in attaining your optimal performance level soonest.
Old 25 Jul 2015, 04:48 (Ref:3560679)   #4
itdontgo
Rookie

itdontgo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you've done lots of karting you won't be far off after a full day's test. The biggest difference you will notice is the inertia of a Formula Ford. They're big heavy things compared to a kart and once they start moving they take longer to stop.

If you northernish I'd try and test at Anglesey as the walls are less intimidating there compared to somewhere like Oulton Park. There will be a low cost test and race meeting at the end of November and there will be someone to hire a car off. If not message me!