Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:46 (Ref:634061)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ganassi to Leave Open Wheel Racing

OK the source is pretty dodgy and it's probably not true, but well, who knows...

Quote:
Ganassi Closing Down IRL team? Dixon to NASCAR? AutoRacing1.com is reporting that the IRL series will be loosing one of its top teams at the end of the season. Target Chip Ganassi Racing will be closing its Indianapolis offices at the end of the IRL season. No CART team, no IRL team. They are currently looking at offers on the property and equipment. They are looking to take Scott Dixon with them to NASCAR land. There is a very small chance, that if they win the championship, they would continue on for one more season. There are some at Ganassi, that are looking for funding to buy the operation, and continue on in open wheel racing, CART or the IRL.(AutoRacing1.com need subscription to read)(6-17-2003)
From http://jayski.thatsracin.com/
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:53 (Ref:634171)   #2
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't suprise me actually in some ways if Ganassi did get out of open-wheel racing. Not just bad for the IRL if it's true, bad for open-wheel racing as a whole.

I'd say Target are gone definatly.

Would the money Ganassi are getting this year from Toyota be transferred over to backing a Ganassi entry in Craftsman Truck racing next year? Also Ganassi goes where the money is, if Target goes and Toyota transfers backing to NASCAR for Ganassi's team, then i'd say he'll probably go.

Then again, Toyota have a minimum number of cars to supply in the Indycar Series for 3 years, so why would they ditch a top team? Also, what happened to Coors? Wasn't there talk they had left Hemelgarn for Ganassi. Maybe they could replace Target?

What about Dixon and Schekter. Where would Toyota place Dixon (he's still contracted to them next year isn't he?), i really can't see him heading to NASCAR. Where would Scheckter go.

More questions than answers. Presumebly everyone involved would have known the score prior to the season starting, so why would Ganassi have made the move?

Or is this just the start of the silly season........

Last edited by racer69; 17 Jun 2003 at 12:55.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 14:29 (Ref:634353)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This'd wipe the smile off Tony George's weasly little face. And prove what open-wheel fans fear - the split is causing both series to lose ground behind NASCAR.

Ganassi already runs 3 cars in NASCAR, and could've won the title last eyar had Sterling Marlin not been injured late season. Toyota are plannign to mvoe up to Busch Series for 2004, and Winston Cup in 2006. A Ganassi Busch series team, featuring Dixon and an experienced NASCAR racer would be ideal to help them develop. Ganassi have been loyal to Toyota's dollars above their racing integrity and will to win fro several years now, so the rumour holds credit. Also leads me to suspect that Toyota will leave the IRL after 2005.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 15:03 (Ref:634396)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But who would Ganassi field in teh now named I heard on speed channel last night "NASCAR Nextel Cup Series"
no more winston.
Ganassi isn't likely to go to trucks, so dixon if he is contracted to toyota goes NASCAR would he go there?
and schekter is not going tin tops never.
this is a mess and OPENWHEEL is getting creemed by these thing. UGH
Old 17 Jun 2003, 18:28 (Ref:634649)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be surprised if Dixon ever went to Tin-tops even more than Schekter...

I have no idea about any of this, but Ganassi always was more of a Nascar person.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Jun 2003, 18:33 (Ref:634659)   #6
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the IRL has lived without Ganassi before, and will carry on without him. Hopefully its just a rumor. It could hinge on finding another major sponsor. If taget wants to concentrate on NASCAR it might become a problem.

The problem is CART. How many CART teams have the financial ability to compete in the IRL? I can think of 2 teams with the resources to join the IRL but I have not watched a CART race this year so I really don't know. Fernandez, another Rahal entry, maybe a Haas entry?

Even with CART gone it might be a couple of real lean years for open wheel racing...
Old 17 Jun 2003, 19:22 (Ref:634734)   #7
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Dixon stated that he enjoys watching some NASCAR on TV but it isn'y a place for "fureigners"
Old 18 Jun 2003, 07:24 (Ref:635227)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dixon was also exploring opportunities of racing V8 Touring Cars in Australia this year, so it could happen.

Boots - Aren't Toyota joining the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series in 2004, not the Busch Series?

I'd be surprised if Ganassi left, he's been a open-wheel driver then team owner since the early 80s, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 14:23 (Ref:635566)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right you are racer69.

The last 3 years have been lean years for open-wheel racing, and both CART and the IRL ahve to take some blame for that. The market isn't strong enough to support 2 championships competing with each other. We need one series with affordable cars, about 50/50 between oval and road-street, only about 4 non-US/Canada races, lots of American drivers but also international stars such as De Ferran, Kanaan and Tracy, plus some up'n'coming European guys
Old 19 Jun 2003, 10:21 (Ref:636418)   #10
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if scott dixon wins irl title in 2003 - he will be a toyota f1 driver in 2004 replacing olivier panis.....

will anyone drink to that
Old 19 Jun 2003, 11:07 (Ref:636466)   #11
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota F1 have made some questionable decisions over the last couple of years, but moving a driver from a 100% oval series to F1 would take the biscuit. If Dixon wants into F1 (maybe he does, maybe not), he'd surely have to spend a season in a road-racing based series. Don't hold your breath; there's too many other talented drivers about for Toyota to take that risk.

What are Scheckter and Dixon's contracts like? When do they run out? If Ganassi and Target leave and the team was bought out by the current employees, maybe they'd still be contracted to drive for next year.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 12:31 (Ref:636541)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to source italiaracing.net, Ganassi have denied rumours that they could quit IRL; the discussion shloud be over, then
Old 21 Jun 2003, 23:56 (Ref:638797)   #13
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rush1
Even with CART gone it might be a couple of real lean years for open wheel racing...
CART's not going anywhere rush1. Fuggettaboutit!
Old 23 Jun 2003, 10:11 (Ref:639915)   #14
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rush1
Old 26 Jun 2003, 02:53 (Ref:643314)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ganassi can be a uniting force for IRL and CART. We can all hate him together.

Poor Dixon, hope he can get out of that contract. I really don't think an IRL championship will do much for his F1 chances. I'm not trying to take a shot at IRL, I just don't think it will.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 09:12 (Ref:643478)   #16
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR is where all the money is at, and that is where he is heading. He has what, two or three cars there now? I think he would like to be in the same category as say Rousch, with up to four or five cars running...