Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Jul 2014, 11:28 (Ref:3431755)   #4551
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
I think that Baretzky will want to design a proper modern race engine: small displacement, direct injection, VGT turbo or F1 style turbo with MGU-H, maybe "hot side inside", ...

Instead of starting from that old school V8 designed by an external supplier (Neil Brown Engineering).
small displacement......hmmm......that means more revs , which equates to higher friction and greater fuel consumption.........it wouldnt surprise me to see porsche enlarge the capacity of their 2.0L V4 to something like 2.2 or 2.5L in an attempt to bring the rpm down and save on fuel consumption.......the rumour doing the rounds is the AER V6 is between 3 and 4 litres, which will be very favourable for low rpm and low fuel consumption for a non hybrid car.......I think some teams already realize that 1.6L style F1 engine has no place in LMP1 racing as its fuel consumption will be too high due to high revs......but never say never, if Ferrari rock up with a 1.6L V6 LMP1 program, i'm sure the ACO will bend over backwards to make it competitive in terms of performance and fuel economy.
On RLM prior to the race, Sam Collins stated that Audi got it wrong in terms of their engine/hybrid selection. Do you think that it is Porsche that got it wrong? I was expecting at least another lap (maybe 2) over both Audi and Toyota in in terms of fuel economy. Knighty, what you're saying about a smaller engine that needs to rev higher makes perfect sense. My friends Corvette gets better MPG than my 911 on the highway. The Vettes enginge RPMs are very low.

The 919 seemed to have to trim out the car in order to stay close in terms of over all lap times. It is interesting how Audi found the speed from Spa to Le Mans!

So, will Porsche stay with the 4 cyl next year? Will they reconsider the petro to hybrid ratio?
Old 8 Jul 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3431892)   #4552
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What else do we know about the Porsche suspension other than it's "interconnectedness". I was reading about this system used in F1 and it seems to allowing the car to maintain a constant ride height.

And what does that have to do with all the sparking we saw at Le Mans? and why Porsche are running coil springs instead of torsion bars.

I just have a hunch that something more than interesting is afoot with the car.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 22:15 (Ref:3431955)   #4553
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If Porsche are running something similar to FRIC (front-rear inter-connected suspension), I wonder if there could be trickle down from a proposed FIA ban on FRIC and similar systems in F1.

In F1, FRIC may be deemed a movable aerodyamic device, and F1 chief official Charlie Whiting is in favor of banning FRIC in favor of cost controlled active suspension systems.

The possible trickle down here is what if the ACO and FIA ban FRIC and other interconnected suspension systems in the WEC? Porsche, if they're running some interconnected suspension, might have to abandon it, that is if rumors are true that they have something like that on their car.

Granted, on paper (and what we actually know) the Porsche doesn't have the most advanced suspension or chassis on the grid (that goes to Audi with Toyota a close second IMO), and even Rebellion and the OAK Ligier LMP2 are running torsion bar springs up front at least (Toyota probably have torsion bars on all four corners. Audi undoubtedly is running torsion bars up front, waiting to hear on the rear as far as springs go).

Never the less, there's always been something rumored to be going on with the 919 in terms of something like FRIC. But then again, no time is better than now to have it banned for next season, since Porsche are heavily rumored to be designing an almost entirely new car for next year.
Old 8 Jul 2014, 23:07 (Ref:3431962)   #4554
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Torsion bars aren't any more "advanced" than coil springs. It's just a different way to get spring force. Some modest benefits for packaging but to each their own. I would argue Porsche does have the most advanced suspension of the lot. A front rear interconnected system with the multimatic dynamic damper is a lot more than we're used to. By those measures, the Audi and Toyota and pretty much everyone else in the field look conventional.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 03:02 (Ref:3431998)   #4555
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
More complicated doesnt mean more performance. Maybe theres more to it than just its front rear connectivity.
Old 9 Jul 2014, 07:47 (Ref:3432072)   #4556
Articus
Veteran

It's not like they are harvesting energy from the dampers
Old 25 Jul 2014, 20:27 (Ref:3437843)   #4557
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Porsche have completed a three-day test at Le Castellet working on a new high-downforce package according to motorsport-total.com. Two further tests are apparently planned before the next race at COTA.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 22:28 (Ref:3437923)   #4558
Articus
Veteran

Old 26 Jul 2014, 03:17 (Ref:3438041)   #4559
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Porsche have completed a three-day test at Le Castellet working on a new high-downforce package according to motorsport-total.com. Two further tests are apparently planned before the next race at COTA.
Great, so short tailed 919 on the way?
Old 19 Aug 2014, 09:15 (Ref:3445315)   #4560
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Porsche's new wind-tunnel:

http://newsroom.porsche.com/EN/Compa...optimizer.html
Old 19 Aug 2014, 09:17 (Ref:3445316)   #4561
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
:O I Want one of those!!!
Old 19 Aug 2014, 09:30 (Ref:3445320)   #4562
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Hmmmmm...Looks big enough to take the transporters let alone a 1:1 scale car.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 10:51 (Ref:3445344)   #4563
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently they are currently testing at the Eurospeedway.
https://twitter.com/PorscheRaces/sta...798656/photo/1

Last edited by Spyderman; 19 Aug 2014 at 11:02.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 11:55 (Ref:3445369)   #4564
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Old 19 Aug 2014, 15:01 (Ref:3445427)   #4565
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique

No obvious changes to bodywork apparent. We will have to wait for better photos.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 16:01 (Ref:3445447)   #4566
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post

No obvious changes to bodywork apparent. We will have to wait for better photos.
It looks like the rear wing is mounted higher than it was at Le Mans. I looked at the length of the swan neck to double check.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 17:41 (Ref:3445477)   #4567
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was hoping for a high downforce setup with newer bodywork like the launch car
Old 19 Aug 2014, 17:42 (Ref:3445478)   #4568
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Maybe they're focusing as much as they can on reliability, and the aero updates will come at a different test session? There's still a month and a bit to CoTA.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 18:24 (Ref:3445486)   #4569
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Maybe they're focusing as much as they can on reliability, and the aero updates will come at a different test session? There's still a month and a bit to CoTA.
According to Motorsport-total.com Porsche test their high-downforce package at the Lausitzring with one more test to follow later at Magny Cours.
The new package shall not look like an entirely new car but details have changed all around the car.
If I look at the pics above I don't see any changes, so maybe they have both versions at the Lausitzring and did not release any pics of the high downforce variant
Old 19 Aug 2014, 19:58 (Ref:3445508)   #4570
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
You know, in my eyes it looks like a bull dog. Blunt face, wide nose! I couldnt think of what it reminded me of, but then I watched Animal Planet and it clicked. I do wonder what the HD kit looks like.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 20:07 (Ref:3445515)   #4571
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
You know, in my eyes it looks like a bull dog. Blunt face, wide nose! I couldnt think of what it reminded me of, but then I watched Animal Planet and it clicked. I do wonder what the HD kit looks like.
Well we all don't know it until we saw the first pics. But regarding the official infos I expect larger front dive-planes, maybe longer splitter or different shape, higher rear wing with steeper angle and higher rear deck height. Not more. But let's wait and see
Old 19 Aug 2014, 21:03 (Ref:3445532)   #4572
Articus
Veteran

Puegeot never ran a high downforce setup.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 22:53 (Ref:3445547)   #4573
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
And...???

jimclark
Old 20 Aug 2014, 04:36 (Ref:3445595)   #4574
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Not entirely true- http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/peugeot-908/

Big difference in the 2011 car from Sebring to Le Mans.

Launch version

Le Mans
Old 20 Aug 2014, 05:21 (Ref:3445602)   #4575
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Agreed! The good news is that I love bulldogs!