Old 7 Nov 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3163903)   #26
Richard Jones
Rookie

United Kingdom
Brighton
Richard Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm chaser View Post
If I can add my two pennies worth on this?

I am thinking about moving my business up there when all of this does kick off and as a consequence I have been speaking very closely with Chris Herring who is the director of the project, Chris has been involved in running the Factory Honda motorbike team for a fair number of years and has a lot of knowledge about race circuits from all over the world so in all fairness I believe the right person is in place as opposed to someone who has no relevant interest in motorsport. I have also been to several of the community consultations and the general consensus from most is very good. There has been high unemployment in Ebbw Vale since the steel works closed over a decade ago now and this in all honesty is what the area needs. The circuit will be serviced by the heads of the valley road which has good access to the M4 and with the area already being developed in preparation for the increase in traffic plus also access from the M50 is not too far which gains access from the midlands as well as the south west I would be very surprised if this does not come off. Pembrey circuit is as said just been left for too long to warrant any money being spent even though I make the journey there from Bristol to watch some of my cars competing. Personally I am all for it and I think that more people should give it their backing when you consider that we could have another world class race circuit in the UK
Well said
Old 8 Nov 2012, 05:23 (Ref:3163987)   #27
dusty
Rookie

dusty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to make a small fortune out of motor racing, start with a large one.

Silverstone (etc) started small and evolved into bigger things. Once you start to try and join at the top the costs become phenominal. If you regard motorsport at it`s very basic, you require a couple of miles of tarmac and some old tyres to make a barrier. So far so cheap. Now start chucking in hotels, business centres and other infrastructure and suddenly the costs start rising.You need to have an income, and remember you actually have to pay to host some of the larger meetings...you need plenty of punters to wander through the gates and buy burgers to cover these costs. Look at club racing in the UK. The spectator numbers are low,( shame really as there is some fantastic racing at this level), and I cannot see how a 750 motor club meet with a handful of spectators is supposed to generate the revenue to service the capital cost of this venture. ( And please note, this is not a dig at club racing in any way, shape or form ).
I do not wish to be seen as negative etc, but I worry that we are going to see a Donington Park style fiasco, which does nothing but harm the motorsport industry in general.
I hope I am wrong. I would love to see a world class circuit in Wales. I just am a bit of a cynic and don`t want to see more people put off investing in motorsport by more people losing more money.
Old 8 Nov 2012, 09:22 (Ref:3164026)   #28
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
My sentiment entirely !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Nov 2012, 14:33 (Ref:3164105)   #29
NJH
Racer

United Kingdom
Weymouth
NJH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to travel up to a place near there for work on a fairly regular basis. Due to the fast road network it takes about the same amount of time as it does for me to drive up to Combe. I think this is an important point to make, it certainly wouldn't put me off racing there.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3164572)   #30
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJH View Post
I used to travel up to a place near there for work on a fairly regular basis. Due to the fast road network it takes about the same amount of time as it does for me to drive up to Combe. I think this is an important point to make, it certainly wouldn't put me off racing there.
From Yeovil, it takes you the same time to get to Castle Combe as to Ebbw Vale? I didn't know the Severn Barrage had been built yet!
JOhn
Old 10 Jul 2013, 10:40 (Ref:3276255)   #31
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now looking a bit closer. Being recommended for approval by Blaenau Gwent councillors. BBC article
Old 10 Jul 2013, 13:05 (Ref:3276311)   #32
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
that's an outline planning permission..

read it at
http://democracy.blaenau-gwent.gov.u...ges/att232.pdf

£418 million! for 500 jobs per year averaged over 8 years of construction

The ES claims... “In summary, the circuit will transform expectations of
British motorsport, and offer a much-needed alternative to the narrow and
unsafe airfield circuits that competitors, manufacturers and spectators are
used to encountering within the UK."

Wonderful dream, but seriously...
Silverstone's management must be quaking in their boots.

later..

4.7 Pit Building (Delivered by 2015); The pit building would be the main centre
of activity during race days, providing a base for race teams as well as
hospitality, media and race stewards. The pit building would have an
estimated footprint of 8,856sqm and gross floor area of 26,568sqm spread
over 3 storeys. The pit building would be a maximum height of 16m.

4.8 The lower storey of the pit building would accommodate 50 pit garages
approximately 6.5m wide and 16-18m deep. To ensure that competing
teams are able to access the pit garages the lower storey of the pit building
will be taller.

For comparison the COTA in Austin has 34 pit garages of that size (USA measures them as 60' by 20')
The length of Silverstone's Wing is given as 350 m (unable to find total footprint, but it would have to be 25m wide to match the planned CoW)

& Although the recommendation is to pass the outline.

23.1 Viability, or put another way the commercial prospects of CoW would not
normally be a material planning consideration. The likelihood of a
permission being implemented or completed is not usually taken into
account when making a planning decision. Many planning applications are
submitted on a speculative basis. Planning permissions are sometimes
simply a tool for increasing land values and there is no intention of ever
starting an approved scheme

23.2 However, on rare occasions the viability of a proposal is relevant. (truncated)

23.3 In this case, it can be argued that there are sound reasons for refusing
planning permission. These include
..(truncated)

23.5 In my view, the Council is acting in the public interest to seek financial
assurances when considering the merits of the scheme. It is important that
the would-be developers have the financial wherewithal to deliver on its
promises. Without those assurances, the balancing act of weighing the pros
versus cons is heavily balanced against the planning application. A prudent
Council should not grant planning permission to a speculative scheme on a
sensitive site with no realistic prospects of securing the very aims that it is
being asked to attach weight to. In my view, without the job creating
element, the only realistic outcome is refusal

So, massive scam to get money out of the development agency to create the most minimal of motorsport facilities with a large photovoltaic farm?