Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 25 Sep 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3674899)   #101
Alex_Florida
Rookie

Alex_Florida should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really wish IndyCar would look towards January and February for scheduling. Fontana on the week of the Pro Bowl, anyone? Season opener 500-miler under the Cali sun! Indy and Pocono in the middle; Michigan 500 as the finale in late September or early October!
Old 25 Sep 2016, 19:12 (Ref:3675111)   #102
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys for your stances on possible tracks for the season finale. I've mentioned this on another IndyCar fan place on the web, and people over there suggested Chicagoland for the season finale if it has to be in September, if it were properly promoted. I understand that it's as close to Indy as Sparta, Kentucky, and that it has got a huge city in its immediate vicinity which is something that sponsors prefer for the season finale. Still, we all know how that went down when Chicagoland hosted the season finale last time around. What do you think about this suggestion, guys?

Thanks for suggesting a season opener in Fontana, but if I recall correctly, last time this was brought up, track management did not want a spring race due to their NASCAR Cup race being in the spring.

My guess is that the only places a January race could work are Homestead and maybe Mexico City, if there was any Mexican participation in the sport.

I still miss Milwaukee because it's something else to see those drivers move through traffic, but that's another thing for another thread.
Old 27 Sep 2016, 09:53 (Ref:3675483)   #103
Alex_Florida
Rookie

Alex_Florida should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Thanks for suggesting a season opener in Fontana, but if I recall correctly, last time this was brought up, track management did not want a spring race due to their NASCAR Cup race being in the spring.
Yet they were cool with a June date, which was even closer. Opening on January 22 would be quite thoroughly in winter though. It's two months; they had no problems with IndyCar being at Watkins Glen and Phoenix only one month after NASCAR was there.
Old 28 Sep 2016, 10:35 (Ref:3675673)   #104
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Florida View Post
Yet they were cool with a June date, which was even closer. Opening on January 22 would be quite thoroughly in winter though. It's two months; they had no problems with IndyCar being at Watkins Glen and Phoenix only one month after NASCAR was there.
Different sanction fee agreement. As I understand it, Phoenix was charged less than Fontana. WGI this year was a rental in exchange for keeping the gate\advertising revenue. Aside from disagreement on what kind of fee is fair, the TV time for a night race at Fontana is less than ideal for maintaining \ increasing viewership and keeping the sponsors happy. You'll notice that there were a number of new sponsors on the cars for the Sonoma race.
Old 16 Oct 2016, 08:24 (Ref:3680636)   #105
Yannick
Veteran

Last night is when the IndyCar season should have ended (the Saturday of the 2nd weeked in October). Where should that race have been held? I have no idea. At this time, it's anyone's guess.

Then, opening the following season somewhere in the South in a place like Homestead or Australia in the 3rd week of January, with a race at Interlagos, Brazil, to follow on the 1st weekend of February (early enough for carnival to still be some time away) would probably be best, so the schedule could continue at St.Petersburg, Florida in March, as is already happening.
I mean, what other international events might that be which Mark Miles used to have in mind for February? Where else would it be warm enough in February for visiting trackside than in the Southern hemisphere?
Old 19 Oct 2016, 10:32 (Ref:3681330)   #106
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Last night is when the IndyCar season should have ended (the Saturday of the 2nd weeked in October). Where should that race have been held? I have no idea. At this time, it's anyone's guess.

Then, opening the following season somewhere in the South in a place like Homestead or Australia in the 3rd week of January, with a race at Interlagos, Brazil, to follow on the 1st weekend of February (early enough for carnival to still be some time away) would probably be best, so the schedule could continue at St.Petersburg, Florida in March, as is already happening.
I mean, what other international events might that be which Mark Miles used to have in mind for February? Where else would it be warm enough in February for visiting trackside than in the Southern hemisphere?
Next season will have a 17 race schedule, now that Gateway has been added. However, with the season starting on March 12 and finishing on September 17, that is only 6 months of racing, followed by a 6 month off season. That has to be eliminated.
Old 29 Oct 2016, 11:14 (Ref:3683804)   #107
Yannick
Veteran

This recent article http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/ne...for-19-844234/ is quite intersting. Mark Miles talked to journalist David Malsher and confirmed ongoing discussions with Portland, among other things.

A possible street circuit in Calgary, Canada, also gets mentioned in the article. Still, no further US venues have been written about.

Personally, I feel that's kind of sad because I still miss Milwaukee, and I guess other fans do so as well.

Regarding Mexico, Miles said that there are no discussions between Mexico City and IndyCar. However, "there are other conversations about a Mexican venue but I don’t think they will be viable as early as 2018,” he is quoted.

In relation to this, the article mentions a 1 and 1/4 mile flat oval that is part of Autodromo Miguel Abed at Puebla which does not have a SAFER barrier yet.

To be honest, I wasn't even aware there is an oval in Puebla.

Miles also says IndyCar would be open to a return to Australia for its season opener "if all the elements could be put together".
Old 29 Oct 2016, 12:11 (Ref:3683823)   #108
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!

Puebla doesn't have safety standards.
Old 29 Oct 2016, 13:31 (Ref:3683841)   #109
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This recent article http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/ne...for-19-844234/ is quite intersting. Mark Miles talked to journalist David Malsher and confirmed ongoing discussions with Portland, among other things.

A possible street circuit in Calgary, Canada, also gets mentioned in the article. Still, no further US venues have been written about.

Personally, I feel that's kind of sad because I still miss Milwaukee, and I guess other fans do so as well.

Regarding Mexico, Miles said that there are no discussions between Mexico City and IndyCar. However, "there are other conversations about a Mexican venue but I don’t think they will be viable as early as 2018,” he is quoted.

In relation to this, the article mentions a 1 and 1/4 mile flat oval that is part of Autodromo Miguel Abed at Puebla which does not have a SAFER barrier yet.

To be honest, I wasn't even aware there is an oval in Puebla.

Miles also says IndyCar would be open to a return to Australia for its season opener "if all the elements could be put together".
If the season opener were in Australia, the season could start earlier and reduce the 6 month off season.

It would be good to see Portland back on the calendar. Roger Penske, earlier this year, was talking about opening up the North West. Canada definitely needs another race but why Calgary, why not Vancouver?
Old 31 Oct 2016, 13:29 (Ref:3684278)   #110
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
...why Calgary, why not Vancouver?
It's Ric Peterson (from Calgary), of Schmidt Peterson Motorsport, who has been trying to arrange for the city and Green-Savoree to have an IndyCar street race there.
The Vancouver race last happened in 2004, then Molson gave up on it because "the business model couldn't work", I think a year or two before they also got out of running the Toronto race and Champ Car purchased it.
I have not heard of anyone else trying to get an IndyCar race in Canada, other than maybe Mosport/CTMP if the contract for the Toronto race is not renewed after 2017.

Last edited by HighParker; 31 Oct 2016 at 13:42.
Old 31 Oct 2016, 15:56 (Ref:3684311)   #111
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighParker View Post
It's Ric Peterson (from Calgary), of Schmidt Peterson Motorsport, who has been trying to arrange for the city and Green-Savoree to have an IndyCar street race there.
The Vancouver race last happened in 2004, then Molson gave up on it because "the business model couldn't work", I think a year or two before they also got out of running the Toronto race and Champ Car purchased it.
I have not heard of anyone else trying to get an IndyCar race in Canada, other than maybe Mosport/CTMP if the contract for the Toronto race is not renewed after 2017.
I remember watching that race. Paul Tracy won it. Molson stopped sponsoring the Toronto race after 2006.

Things have moved on since 2004 and Champ Car and I think IndyCar should at least look investigate racing at Vancouver again.
Old 31 Oct 2016, 20:51 (Ref:3684380)   #112
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
And Montreal?
Old 31 Oct 2016, 21:07 (Ref:3684385)   #113
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
And Montreal?
There is Montreal. Bernie wants a massive revamp of the track facilities for F1 and it will cost a lot and if they don't cough up Montreal could lose the race. IndyCar on the otherhand doesn't need all the bells a whistles Bernie wants for the F1 Circus.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 11:10 (Ref:3685915)   #114
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
There is Montreal. Bernie wants a massive revamp of the track facilities for F1 and it will cost a lot and if they don't cough up Montreal could lose the race. IndyCar on the otherhand doesn't need all the bells a whistles Bernie wants for the F1 Circus.
Getting Montreal onto their schedule would be big for IndyCar. And the local audience would love the racing, no matter if there's an F1 race on that track or not.

That may or may not be different at COTA in Austin, TX, where F1 currently holds its USGP.
But IndyCar at COTA won't happen anyway because of a veto from Texas Motor Speedway.

However, if the "American GP" of F1 at Weehawken/New Jersey was still on the cards, I feel the 2 series should team up and run events on the same weekend, if possible, as the NYC market is precious and such a "double bill" would surely be able to convince more people to come trackside. Have the IndyCar race on the Saturday after F1 qualifying in the afternoon, and the F1 regularly on Sunday. You'd just need to make the pitlane wide enough so that the wall to protect IndyCar's pit equipment and mechanics can be installed non-permanently between the garages and the pitlane itself.

The IRL and F1 have been partners before so why not do it again?
Old 6 Nov 2016, 16:34 (Ref:3685984)   #115
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Getting Montreal onto their schedule would be big for IndyCar. And the local audience would love the racing, no matter if there's an F1 race on that track or not.

That may or may not be different at COTA in Austin, TX, where F1 currently holds its USGP.
But IndyCar at COTA won't happen anyway because of a veto from Texas Motor Speedway.

However, if the "American GP" of F1 at Weehawken/New Jersey was still on the cards, I feel the 2 series should team up and run events on the same weekend, if possible, as the NYC market is precious and such a "double bill" would surely be able to convince more people to come trackside. Have the IndyCar race on the Saturday after F1 qualifying in the afternoon, and the F1 regularly on Sunday. You'd just need to make the pitlane wide enough so that the wall to protect IndyCar's pit equipment and mechanics can be installed non-permanently between the garages and the pitlane itself.

The IRL and F1 have been partners before so why not do it again?
I don't think Bernie would allow an IndyCar race at Montreal, if Montreal are still hosting the GP. He'd probably write it into the contract and I really doubt he'd be in favour of a double bill.
Old 13 Nov 2016, 14:06 (Ref:3687610)   #116
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Next year's Brazilian F1 GP is under threat from Bernie. IndyCar should at least look into holding a race at Sao Paulo. A classic track, with a ready made fan base.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ec...r-2017-849042/
Old 13 Nov 2016, 17:27 (Ref:3687663)   #117
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Next year's Brazilian F1 GP is under threat from Bernie. IndyCar should at least look into holding a race at Sao Paulo. A classic track, with a ready made fan base.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ec...r-2017-849042/
…In a country where the economy is doing absolutely horribly. It will be very difficult to make it work for IndyCar and the promoter given the conditions:
Quote:
Brazil is mired in in its longest recession since the 1930s and the IMF estimates meager growth next year. Latin America's largest economy shrank 3.8% last year and the IMF now forecasts it will fall another 3.3% this year.
Old 13 Nov 2016, 17:49 (Ref:3687674)   #118
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
…In a country where the economy is doing absolutely horribly. It will be very difficult to make it work for IndyCar and the promoter given the conditions:
I know the economy is a mess but I did say they should at least look into holding a race at Sao Paulo, to find out if it is at all feasible, or not.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 13 Nov 2016 at 17:58.
Old 18 Nov 2016, 22:59 (Ref:3689162)   #119
10TENTHS
Veteran

Not after they got burned by the corruption at Brasilia. Portland is the most likely addition for 2018.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 02:09 (Ref:3689174)   #120
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
Not after they got burned by the corruption at Brasilia. Portland is the most likely addition for 2018.
If Portland is on the 2018, that would be excellent. Rodger Penske has been calling for an IndyCar race in the North West.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 07:38 (Ref:3690672)   #121
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
If Portland is on the 2018, that would be excellent. Rodger Penske has been calling for an IndyCar race in the North West.
With Miles' aim of opening the season earlier than previously and Frye's connections to ISC, might a January or early February race at Homestead still be a serious enough possibility for 2018, in a slot on the calendar when the Orlando race used to be held in the late 90s, with Homestead mimicking for the Mickyard?
Old 27 Nov 2016, 22:04 (Ref:3691549)   #122
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighParker View Post
According to this Toronto Sun article (so, caveat emptor), there is a deal with the city through 2018. A quick snoop through the City of Toronto's website only turns up the previous resolution confirming through 2017 though, so who knows?

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/18...wntown-toronto

If everyone's worried about audience sizes (which seems an ongoing point of contention regarding Toronto), then I wonder how Calgary would be? Calgary is much smaller (about a million vs. something like 6 million in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area) and I can't imagine the density of motorsport fans is any different. I'm all for another Canadian race, though.
Old 27 Nov 2016, 23:45 (Ref:3691580)   #123
10TENTHS
Veteran

Attendance at Toronto looked a lot better this year, but the inability to repave the private roads that make up most of the track is a real problem. With some improvements to infrastructure and barriers, Mosport could work, just needs to be promoted as much as their other event weekends.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 10:01 (Ref:3691686)   #124
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Montreal has been given a reprieve, for 2017 but that's it, nothing concrete for 2018. IndyCar should at look at Montreal for 2018 and beyond.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 18:11 (Ref:3691837)   #125
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Montreal has been given a reprieve, for 2017 but that's it, nothing concrete for 2018. IndyCar should at look at Montreal for 2018 and beyond.
Agreed - I suspect the fans would come out in droves, and there's some opportunity for one-off guest drives (Tagliani, maybe Andrew Ranger, maybe the younger Stroll) that could be additional draws. If they managed to team up with the Pinty's NASCAR series as support (as they do in Toronto) it could be huge.