Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 3 Jun 2017, 09:15 (Ref:3738291)   #1
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Le Mans Art Cars

After all the great PR the Larbre Vette art car has garnered I wondered what other people's favourite Le Mans art cars were down the years? Art is subjective by it's very nature. But this thread could be a cool place to group them all together if we post photos of our choices.

For my first ever race in 2011 I think Flying Lizards (or should I say Troy Lee) did a really nice job with these two. The orange one in particular is my favourite.

Then two years later I think Aston nailed it with this Vantage. I especially like the fact you get two different experiences depending on which side of the track you're standing on. This one was the result of the design competition run by Gulf. Well done Jonathan Wesley from Kettering! I bought the 1:18 scale of this one.

Finally - it would be rude not to include a BMW. I love this Roy Lichtenstein design on the 320i from 1977. Properly iconic.
Old 3 Jun 2017, 09:25 (Ref:3738293)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I particularly liked the Lizards livery

Then of course there was the 2010 Beemer......
Attached Thumbnails
shoppingbeemer.jpg  
Old 3 Jun 2017, 12:06 (Ref:3738310)   #3
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
Elaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridElaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the lizards! I remember the boyfriend at the time had the t-shirt and poster of them.
Old 3 Jun 2017, 13:07 (Ref:3738314)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I did like the BMW M3 Art car. It looked good in motion and at night, proving that the artist considered what the car actually does when designing the car.

Old 3 Jun 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3738318)   #5
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess with BMW coming back it can't be too long before we have another GT art car at Le Mans. Agree that Jeff Koons design was very strong.
Old 3 Jun 2017, 16:36 (Ref:3738342)   #6
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
love this car

Never at Le Mans but still nice
Old 6 Jun 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3739072)   #7
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
Elaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridElaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkorsager View Post
love this car

Never at Le Mans but still nice
That just makes me go a little cross eyed! not sure I would want that behind me!
Old 7 Jun 2017, 01:52 (Ref:3739138)   #8
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
After all the great PR the Larbre Vette art car has garnered I wondered what other people's favourite Le Mans art cars were down the years? Art is subjective by it's very nature. But this thread could be a cool place to group them all together if we post photos of our choices.

For my first ever race in 2011 I think Flying Lizards (or should I say Troy Lee) did a really nice job with these two. The orange one in particular is my favourite.
2011 Lizards get my vote, they were absolutely gorgeous. Also helps that the 997 RSR was a great looking car already.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3739303)   #9
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I loved the concept, so for me my personal favorite will always be Calder's BMW 'Batmobile.'
Old 8 Jun 2017, 02:02 (Ref:3739379)   #10
Jager
Rookie

Australia
Perth, Australia
Jager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my favourite art cars was the 1995 #42 McLaren F1 GTR.

When Hervé Poulain (the originator of the ‘Art Car’ movement) first retired in 1982, he gave all his trophies to renowned sculpturist César Baldaccini. César took the trophies and compressed them into a sculpture :

When Poulain came out of retirement to drive again in 1995, the sculpture was used to create the artwork for the car :

Old 8 Jun 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3739513)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post

When Hervé Poulain (the originator of the ‘Art Car’ movement) first retired in 1982, he gave all his trophies to renowned sculpturist César Baldaccini. César took the trophies and compressed them into a sculpture :

When Poulain came out of retirement to drive again in 1995, the sculpture was used to create the artwork for the car :

I had no idea of that! Thanks for the info.....
Old 8 Jun 2017, 18:12 (Ref:3739515)   #12
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post

That is fantastic, I hadn't heard that story before!
Old 8 Jun 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3739525)   #13
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I rather like the Police Renault 4 in the background, although I am amazed they were still using them in 1995!
Old 8 Jun 2017, 19:29 (Ref:3739531)   #14
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's a chance to get up close and personal with a recent art car.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...ns-museum.html
Old 8 Jun 2017, 23:01 (Ref:3739562)   #15
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Prospeed have had a couple over the years.

This iBird design by Loïc Poncelet was very striking. Again different at all four corners.

Old 11 Jun 2017, 11:55 (Ref:3740221)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
saw the corvette at the test day and it looked great,
Old 11 Jun 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3740287)   #17
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The first one

BMW 3.0 CSL by Alexander Calder, Le Mans 1975

Old 11 Jun 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3740288)   #18
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
PascalLM!!! Wonderful!
Old 11 Jun 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3740310)   #19
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...st-decade.html
Old 15 Jun 2017, 14:49 (Ref:3741650)   #20
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The BMW M3 E92 is beautiful.
Old 17 Jun 2017, 00:40 (Ref:3742388)   #21
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
BMW 3.0 CSL by Alexander Calder, Le Mans 1975

Oooooooooooooo. Want.

What is the CA on the quarter panel?

Edit... it's the artist signature dumbass.