Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 27 Apr 2015, 19:33 (Ref:3531270)   #251
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Shea is very good. I like a bit of variety in the pitlane. Still miss Tyler and (even longer ago) Titchmarsh though. I'm assuming Trussers will have returned from his badly timed hols.....
Old 27 Apr 2015, 19:45 (Ref:3531273)   #252
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
I actually met Shea (and Mr Jim Roller) last year after Monday scrutineering, we ended up on the same tram from Republique back to the circuit. We had a good chat about the upcoming race... and motorsport in general.

She's just about my age! Maybe a year or two older.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 08:14 (Ref:3531417)   #253
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It has been noticeable for the past couple of years that there has been less Hindy centric commentary during the 24hrs (unless my listening has just coincided with his breaks) which I think is a Good Thing for the future of RLM as it shows they aren't just a one-man-band.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 13:36 (Ref:3531494)   #254
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Hindy gets requested for a lot of sponsor events and things like that during the week which takes up his time. There has to be a huge amount going on behind the scenes. It was quite significant I guess that Hindy didn't call the start last year. They seem to be grooming Jonny Palmer so it will be interesting to see who does it this year.

The rotation in voices is one of the great things about RLM. I know I'm not alone in loving the partnership that Sam and Jim have struck up now - ever since 2012 I think - when they presided over that wild portion of the race where Toyota led, then flipped.

Graham G is a great addition whenever he's on air. The pit reporters are really good for the most part. Nick Daman and Jeremy Shaw are different class for me.

Contrast the level of analysis, service and insight you're getting compared to much of the Eurosport broadcast - which has traditionally swung between ranting and rambling.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 15:30 (Ref:3531522)   #255
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I think Hindy gets requested for a lot of sponsor events and things like that during the week which takes up his time. There has to be a huge amount going on behind the scenes. It was quite significant I guess that Hindy didn't call the start last year. They seem to be grooming Jonny Palmer so it will be interesting to see who does it this year.

The rotation in voices is one of the great things about RLM. I know I'm not alone in loving the partnership that Sam and Jim have struck up now - ever since 2012 I think - when they presided over that wild portion of the race where Toyota led, then flipped.

Graham G is a great addition whenever he's on air. The pit reporters are really good for the most part. Nick Daman and Jeremy Shaw are different class for me.

Contrast the level of analysis, service and insight you're getting compared to much of the Eurosport broadcast - which has traditionally swung between ranting and rambling.
Do not forget the hugely valuable analysis and insight into strategies that Trussers feeds us!
It seems wrong to point out favourites, but Paul Truswell is the guy I would miss the most in booth because of the data he can provide. Granted, his data is "only" the spice to a great stew, but it is that spice that makes the stew perfect.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 15:47 (Ref:3531523)   #256
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Do not forget the hugely valuable analysis and insight into strategies that Trussers feeds us!
It seems wrong to point out favourites, but Paul Truswell is the guy I would miss the most in booth because of the data he can provide. Granted, his data is "only" the spice to a great stew, but it is that spice that makes the stew perfect.
It's not wrong to point out favourites, but you've made a small spelling mistake. It's spelt "Jim Roller"

For me, Le Mans hasn't really started until the sun starts to set on the track and Jim's counting down the leaderboard.

That's not to say any of the RLM team are bad - as you say, Truswell's (literal) 24-hour analysis is invaluable and Nick Daman is the pit reporter every other pit reporter should aspire to be. The somewhat madcap thoughts of Sam Collins are also very much appreciated, although the post-race tech is perhaps seen as a more suitable place for his considerable insight. On the particular subject of Hindhaugh, I can remember times over the last couple of races when he jumped off the WEC stream and not ten minutes later he's on RLM. I don't think John has any more time to spare in Le Mans week.

Honestly the breadth of depth RLM has during Le Mans is easy to gloss over, given the race they are commentating on usually takes precedence (!), but everyone brings something enjoyable to the broadcast. In a way it's even more of a highlight now that the WEC has a dedicated commentary team (which is very good - I don't mean this as a slight on Hindhaugh/Goodwin/Beckett).
Old 28 Apr 2015, 17:45 (Ref:3531550)   #257
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've always loved RLM from it's inception and the fact that I've got to know Paul Truswell since and thoroughly enjoy his technical stuff and ability to follow what is happening for 24 hours straight only helps. In fact, I really missed his input at Silverstone - it just wasn't the same. I enjoy all of the other commentators, particularly the 'Jim and Sam' show which just works so well. I used to love the rapport between Paul and Ian Titchmarsh and I was disappointed when that came to an end. Hindy has been an acquired taste for me. When I used to travel with the Tourists, they hated his comments so much they used to turn the radio off! But he's an incredibly knowledgable, witty and of course excitable (!) commentator and frontman, that it wouldn't be the same without him. As to the Nissan Piltdown Team, I like them all, but particularly Jeremy and Joe.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 09:24 (Ref:3532098)   #258
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Honestly I took Trussers' brilliance as a given.

His importance can't be overstated. He's a bit like the glue that binds it all together. He's the constant thread through the broadcast and he represents the race. He absolutely lives for it.

The thing I love about Trussers is that he is so utterly dialed and on it. Even at 3am he knows what is happening, and when a car should be coming in. What's normal and what's not normal. He's no-nonsense too. He corrects mistakes. Keeps the presenters on track and tells them at times what they should be talking about. When they are trying to plug Julia Wurz's book with a few hours to go in the race, he's concentrating on the pitstops.

He seems like he's still absolutely got the passion, but when he decides to hang up his lap chart he's the guy RLM should be really trying to find a replacement for.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 10:57 (Ref:3532128)   #259
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I also love Radio Le Mans, I think they do a fantastic job. If anyone watched "Studio Cam" during last year race it was fantastic you could see how hard they where working there was lots of pointing at time screen's from the whole team and lot of off air interaction going on as well.

I think the "Studio Cam" footage is still up on You Tube so if you haven't seen it have a look it's well worth it !!!
Old 1 May 2015, 19:12 (Ref:3532696)   #260
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

He seems like he's still absolutely got the passion, but when he decides to hang up his lap chart he's the guy RLM should be really trying to find a replacement for.

An impossible task, I suspect.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
I also love Radio Le Mans, I think they do a fantastic job. If anyone watched "Studio Cam" during last year race it was fantastic you could see how hard they where working there was lots of pointing at time screen's from the whole team and lot of off air interaction going on as well.

Ah, Mr. Jones.... You're the chap who I recall used to go to Le Mans, aren't you?
Old 1 May 2015, 19:24 (Ref:3532704)   #261
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As I have been traveling back to Denmark all day today, I was unable to stream the FP3 and Qualification of WEC at Spa. I could however stream Radio Le Mans, but to my disappointment I found that they broadcasted the Silverstone race instead!?
I was really disappointed by this as I hoped to use RLM to kill a few hours of this long trip.
Old 13 May 2015, 02:13 (Ref:3536928)   #262
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So RLM of course has all Audi, Porsche, Toyota and Nissan on their list of sponsors, as well as others + race-by-race names, but with (unless I'm mistaken) Nissan still headlining all of that again as the title sponsor, will there be 'conflict of interest' at Le Mans? Isn't the potential there? What about the DC interviews, can we beat the records of previous years - particularly 2012 - when he seemed to pop up for 45 minute infomercials in advance planned steady intervals? Just wondering.

Last edited by Deleted; 13 May 2015 at 02:20.
Old 13 May 2015, 07:40 (Ref:3536974)   #263
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't mind the infomercials (advertorials?) as it is obvious that is what they are, and of course RLM needs to have sponsors to remain a going concern and the nature of the niche appeal of endurance racing means that they aren't going to find sponsors that have no link to any team unless they hit up Kronenbourg for some "Drink More Beer" jingles.

Having said that, I did always prefer it when RLM played music between track sessions rather than just repeat their back catalogue of shows (however interesting they were on the first listen).
Old 13 May 2015, 17:20 (Ref:3537155)   #264
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe there are fears of copyrights when it comes to music.
Old 13 May 2015, 17:26 (Ref:3537160)   #265
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Maybe there are fears of copyrights when it comes to music.
I think it's cost as much as anything. You pay for the right to play the music, and then you have to pay for someone to DJ, or at least for someone to decide which music goes on the track. It's a lot cheaper just to repeat content.
Old 13 May 2015, 22:05 (Ref:3537251)   #266
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
So RLM of course has all Audi, Porsche, Toyota and Nissan on their list of sponsors, as well as others + race-by-race names, but with (unless I'm mistaken) Nissan still headlining all of that again as the title sponsor, will there be 'conflict of interest' at Le Mans? Isn't the potential there? What about the DC interviews, can we beat the records of previous years - particularly 2012 - when he seemed to pop up for 45 minute infomercials in advance planned steady intervals? Just wondering.
Mobil1 is the title sponsor at Le Mans, as it was last year.
Old 17 May 2015, 00:49 (Ref:3538386)   #267
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Having said that, I did always prefer it when RLM played music between track sessions rather than just repeat their back catalogue of shows (however interesting they were on the first listen).
I do too prefer the old Radio Le Mans. Nowadays I don't listen to them when there is no track action going on, I'd rather play my own music. It used to be very worthwile to listen to. Not anymore.
Old 17 May 2015, 05:35 (Ref:3538435)   #268
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I do understand the need to keep costs on RLM down but agree with others here that i will listen to the live stuff but once you have heard the broadcast i do not bother with the repeat transmissions, however I do listen to RLM a great deal during the week and i appreciate all they do to keep me informed during my stay and before iwth MWM on Wednesday evenings
Old 17 May 2015, 08:00 (Ref:3538472)   #269
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Although I don't listen to it, I find it good that the sessions is being repeated.
Most of us arrive in good time to catch all the sessions, but imagine you arrive late, and therefor miss the final qualifying session. They you can catch the repeat the next day of what happened.

Besides, most of us got our own music at hand, so if it is music we want to hear we can switch to that. Leaving RLM to save some money on music rights.
Old 17 May 2015, 11:17 (Ref:3538511)   #270
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It must have been a bitter blow to the income of the Lighthouse Family and Crowded House when they stopped earning royalties from Radio Le Mans pretty much playing them on a loop for an entire week.

Some of the output was good back in the day, but you could probably learn the words to "Weather With You" off by heart if you listened to RLM when there was no track session. Besides, in recent years, the old music track from RLM has been replaced with the electric music tastes of Le Mans' international campsites. Close your eyes on Friday night at Houx and you can hear Suzanne Vega, the Rolling Stones and Queen playing at precisely the same volume from various directions from the comfort of your gazebo.
Old 18 May 2015, 13:09 (Ref:3538944)   #271
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
It must have been a bitter blow to the income of the Lighthouse Family and Crowded House when they stopped earning royalties from Radio Le Mans pretty much playing them on a loop for an entire week.
Old 18 May 2015, 13:19 (Ref:3538949)   #272
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
This season I have been annoyed more than ever by Hindy's severe sportscar fan inferiority complex i.e. the continuous, irrelevant and pointless jabs at F1 often based cherry picked facts. I'm afraid a lot of people only like that and identify with him, but I don't and when you hear the two-thousand-horsepower circlejerk for the tenth time in the first hour of the race, it gets old really quickly. Someone should seriously tell him this could be really off-putting to new fans trying to get into the series.

I think I actually hope the two guys from the official ELMS stream will be on the WEC App Le Mans feed.
Old 18 May 2015, 13:42 (Ref:3538960)   #273
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ELMS comms were the RLM duo of Jonny Palmer and Bruce Jones.
Old 18 May 2015, 13:54 (Ref:3538962)   #274
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Who was the guy (or two) that was on the WEC App last Le Mans?
Old 18 May 2015, 15:50 (Ref:3539002)   #275
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
To be honest, if you listen to the entire race commentary from last year's race, there was much less of Hindy than usual. Palmer called the start for the first time and we heard a lot from him, Sam Collins and the excellent Jim Roller (plus Trussers as the 'given'....).