Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 13 Oct 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1123592)   #1
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tickets, tours, and viewing spots for Le Mans!

I am planning a trip to Le Mans for 2005 and I need some ideas and opinions on:
What are the best tickets to get for Le Mans
Weather or not Grand Prix Tours is worth the money
The best viewing spots around the track
I have never been, so I have no clue what tickets to buy. I have also looked at Grand Prix Tours and it seems that their trip for you to Le Mans seems very promising. The price looks cheap for the trip as well. The last thing is were are the premium standing places to watch from. Can you go to the Mulsanne Straight and watch? Thanks for any help!!
Old 13 Oct 2004, 23:42 (Ref:1123842)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For a first time I would recommend going with a tour company. It is easier and that is worth the extra. Also you don't have to deal with the ACO!

Best viewing spots? Well it is 24 hours - watch from everywhere! Although make sure you make the trip out to Arnage and Mulsanne corner. This might be by bus or car or walk (I've heard some people do!).

You can see many places without grandstand seats. In fact viewing the corners is probably best done without a seat. However (and I wouldn't say this for any other event) a grandstand on the start-finish is good. You can see the build-up, the start, chill in the late hours, and the finish.

Mulsanne Straight. Yes you can get to see it, but it isn't encouraged, obvious, or that good. It is something you have to do once, but I don't crave it each year. There isn't anywhere that official, but there are ways.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 05:34 (Ref:1123929)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
With Adam's comments above, could I say more ?

Confirmed : the starting straight GS place is worth a try, at least for the hours before the start.

You are allowed to walk from Maison Blanche to Tertre Rouge, plus Arnage and Mulsanne's corners. Each pilgrimer has his own favourite place/habits on the spot.

Don't go there or you'll be hooked !
Old 14 Oct 2004, 08:10 (Ref:1123977)   #4
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the tickets front....

You will need one general entrance ticket per person (c.£30) this gets you into the practice day (5th June), the Weds and Thurs qualifying days (8hrs track time) and the race weekend itself (it is surely motorsport's best value, as our American Friends would say).

If you are camping you need one camping ticket per vehicle, searching on this site or somewhere like Club Arnage will detail which sites are which.

Grandstand seats are good if you are in a large group as a rendezvous point if nothing else. The other advantage is you don't have to stake your claim to a decent viewing point for the start/finish early.

What price are GP Tours charging (and for what?)
Old 14 Oct 2004, 09:32 (Ref:1124051)   #5
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I strongly recommend, if possible, the main grandstand or any on the finish line straight. From the support race to the 16h start, there´s plenty of time and the official ceremony takes time, from the finish line straight you can see all the cars being readied and the hawaiian tropic girls...
And, for sure, something covered, just in case of rain...
Old 14 Oct 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1124393)   #6
old car
Rookie

United Kingdom
old car should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mulsanne straight is a 'prohibited area' except at the restaurant/bar and the police are quick to move people on.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 17:50 (Ref:1124509)   #7
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
and don't forget to take time to visit (in no particular order) :
- the village
- the fun fair
- the now worldwide famous Ten Tenths meetings
Old 14 Oct 2004, 18:49 (Ref:1124579)   #8
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bernard b
and don't forget to take time to visit (in no particular order) :
- the village
- the fun fair
- the now worldwide famous Ten Tenths meetings
I think everything has been covered by everyone else. I had grandstand ticket for the first time this year and it well worth it.

But the highlight of the weekend has be worldwide famous Ten Tenths meetings, 12pm Saturday lunch time in the main square in the village, got some information on that one for everyone which I will share with you all in the next few weeks....
Old 15 Oct 2004, 07:52 (Ref:1124981)   #9
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
got some information on that one for everyone which I will share with you all in the next few weeks....
Are you going to buy a round Rob?
Old 15 Oct 2004, 08:42 (Ref:1125013)   #10
Fieldgate
Racer

Fieldgate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Grandstand is not my cup of tea, but have been spoiled by being on the inside/grid/etc.

However, having said that, I still do the walk from Ford Chicane back to the start of the Porsche Curves and the in-field through Dunlop out to T-R.

Then hop in car if you have a pass or preferably a mountain bike and cycle out to Indi (sanitised spectating a bit now) and Arnage - you can also get to the point of terminal velocity in the housing estate for the straight from the Mulsanne corner leading up to Indianapolis.

Les Hunaudieres is good for a cheeky beer and a quick squint of cars, but the food is **** and pricey.

I've never been that big a fan of the straights, though if you can break through the woods to the Mulsanne, you will cac your pants), but R8's flat around the PC's is something to behold and '05 could be your last opportunity (if they come out to play) to witness this before the ugly-aero stuff kicks in.

It is an event like no other and part of the "must do" is to arrive in either something exotic or convertible if you can.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 13:25 (Ref:1125234)   #11
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Yep, your turn ! A month earlier than your , but who cares for the Big Bottle, he ?

Last edited by Fab; 15 Oct 2004 at 13:26.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 13:28 (Ref:1125237)   #12
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Oh, I forgot ! i was at the circuit last week, and the road behind Maison Blanche GS moved back significantly ; a place will be open for the pedestrians behind the GS, to allow a more practicable way to the far end of the public area (remember the pedestrians' trafic jam down the GS ?)...

Last edited by Fab; 15 Oct 2004 at 13:29.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 13:53 (Ref:1125257)   #13
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's good to see the ACO making small but effective changes to the circuit. Another thing they could do would be to put a proper pavement along the length of the road outside the circuit from the main entrance down to the Porsche Curves enclosure. This would make it easier and safer to walk back to the lower campsites and the Porsche Curves.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 14:38 (Ref:1125292)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
Another thing they could do would be to put a proper pavement along the length of the road outside the circuit from the main entrance down to the Porsche Curves enclosure. This would make it easier and safer to walk back to the lower campsites and the Porsche Curves.
They don't hown the place outside, it should be town business... but the idea is precisely to discourage pedestrians to walk that way, and push them to take the buses (well, I think)...

More to come about works : four new pedetrians tunnels under the track... and the modification of Tertre Rouge curve (taking a part of the garden in the infield, if I can remember)...
Old 15 Oct 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1125306)   #15
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know where you guys got the idea you can't go to the Mulsanne Straight. If that were so, where did all the spectators at the second chicane come from this year?

Of course, spectating at the Straight itself is probably not very much fun compared to Mulsanne corner or Arnage, unless you are at a chicane. Just blurs most of the time...

I suspect how to get there is a deep, dark secret and you have to earn the right to learn it. Talk to us again in about 15 years :-).

keke
Old 15 Oct 2004, 15:55 (Ref:1125357)   #16
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only one place to add and that's Le Mans itself!

Take a drive (or bus) down to the town, even if it's Saturday morning. See the very historical old town around the Cathedral and then stop off for a beer in the Place De Cathedral.

There's a parade, Friday evening I think, in town with lots of the drivers and various owners clubs from all over Europe.

Oh, and the outer paddock is open Friday evening, where you'll see a few drivers and be able to climb up to the top of the new Pits complex and get that calm before the storm feeling.

Le Mans is pure magic...

Cheers.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 18:56 (Ref:1125487)   #17
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Yeah going on, saying that I bought around this year, but you weren't there.......
Old 15 Oct 2004, 20:47 (Ref:1125552)   #18
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Mulsanne is the part of the track that I want to go to the most. Even though it may not be that good of a spot, I just want to experiece it for once. It has (is) to be better than Road Atlanta's straight during Petit, they only can get to 180mph or 185mph max there. So, thanks for all the info and help everyone has given me! O, come on racerkeke, whats the secret!!!
Old 17 Oct 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1126600)   #19
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Tickets, tours, and viewing spots for Le Mans!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garrett
I am planning a trip to Le Mans for 2005 and I need some ideas and opinions on:
What are the best tickets to get for Le Mans
Weather or not Grand Prix Tours is worth the money
The best viewing spots around the track
I have never been, so I have no clue what tickets to buy.
Garrett, please check planetlemans.com -- we will update the 'dummies' section in the winter and add more pics of the track (we made about 100 last May).
Old 17 Oct 2004, 20:08 (Ref:1126830)   #20
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Garrett, check your PMs.

keke
Old 18 Oct 2004, 01:38 (Ref:1126987)   #21
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by racerkeke
I don't know where you guys got the idea you can't go to the Mulsanne Straight. If that were so, where did all the spectators at the second chicane come from this year?
keke
There are several families that actually live within the circuit and whose driveways end on Huanadiers. They are `blocked in' by the armco and released at the end of the race. I met several of them whille flagging P-55 in '00. In addition ther are several businesses within the boundries of the track (Technoparc) and I am sure that they have access as well.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 03:20 (Ref:1127009)   #22
joncon
Rookie

joncon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Garret-Re Le Mans -
I went the year It rained-2001.I went with "Motor racing International" From England by bus.
Glad I didnt go with any one els.'MRI' Had a marquee
With food drink and all facilities [B room showers etc].
Without this In the rain ,It would have been Imposible.
Go And Enjoy It joncon
Old 18 Oct 2004, 05:15 (Ref:1127036)   #23
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by thebear
Huanadiers.
Try this way : Hu-nau-diè-res...

Last edited by Fab; 18 Oct 2004 at 05:16.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 14:21 (Ref:1127361)   #24
EspritS3
Rookie

EspritS3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi gents. Been reading Ten Tenths for a while and just made my first posting on the F1 boards - but sportscars are my real passion!

Haven't been to Le Mans since 2002, but am planning a visit for next year. Is the viewing area at the restaurant des 24-heure on the Mulsanne straight still severely restricted?

2001 qualifying sessions here were fabulous - right up to the hedge behind the armco and a clear view way up the track towards Terte-Rouge - amazing sight seeing the Aston DB3S (or was it a DBR1?) come over the rise and fly past during practice.

Imagine my dissappointment in 2002 when we headed over to get a repeat viewing, only to find huge fences keeping you right back out of the way - standing on a bench peering over a fence to the track some 20 metres away just wasn't the same - bet business has gone down some at the bar here.

Is the Terte Rouge bar still standing - heard it was to be demolished - again great view in practice in 2001 before they put up the tall fencing.

Look forward to seeing some of you there next year!
Old 18 Oct 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1127408)   #25
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally posted by EspritS3
Is the Terte Rouge bar still standing - heard it was to be demolished
It was still there this year. I believe the tram system which was to have lead to its demolishment, has been re-routed.