Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:51 (Ref:1952676)   #276
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Update- added RA2/038

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA

RA2/035
Schnitzer (Original Teile) 1984 ETCC Ravaglia/Berger
1985 sold to Keneal Promotions (Kent Baigent) in NZ- raced ATCC, Bathust, Macau
crashed and written off at Manfield late 85

I'll do the next two together, as they still pose a bit of a mystery...

RA2/037 & RA2/039: the 1984 CC Motorsport/BMW GB BTCC cars
Given CC Motorsport chassis numbers CC29 (Weaver) and CC30 (Woodman)
Which 'RA2' chassis number corresponds to which 'CC' chassis number?
CC30 crashed at Donington and reshelled- becomes 'CC31'
1985- both (and spare car RA001) sold to Frank Sytner
CC29 sold on to Mike Newman- raced in BTCC 1985-7, believe he still has it?
CC31 raced by Sytner 1985 BTCC, then sold to Charlie O'Brien/Erle McRae Motorsport after TT- raced at Sandown & Bathurst

RA2/038
Eggenberger 1983
1984- Garage du Bac: Fabien Giroix (French Championship & Spa)
1985-7 Seikel Motorsport, ETCC
Now in Nurburgring Museum

More shortly....
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:54 (Ref:1952682)   #277
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Update- corrected details for RA2/46 (Thanks for spotting that!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA

RA2/44
1984 JPS Team BMW- Bathurst (Hulme/von Bayern)
1985 JPS Team BMW- Jim Richards ATCC Championship winner
1986 Garry Rogers- raced in both JPS and Bob Jane colours
July 87-Jan 90: Joe Sommariva.
Jan 90- sold to Jim Richards
Nov 1993- sold to John Hebron
Feb 2005- sold to David Towe
2006- sold to Adrian Brady (thanks to Adrian for the PM giving the dates for the changes of ownership!)

RA2/46
1984- Ted Grace/Malcolm Gartlan. Group N car for Barrie Williams
1985- sold to John Morton in NZ by Frank Sytner
1985-97- used as road car for part of this period
Rebuilt to Group N spec- currently with Gerry Hodges and for sale 2007

RA2/050
Schnitzer customer car for Manuel Fernandes.
1985-8 Manuel Fernandes:
1985(Brut 33 sponsorship)- Portuguese Champion
1986/7 (Traffic Clothing sponsorship)
1988 (Mustang Clothing sponsorship)

Last edited by KA; 2 Jul 2007 at 18:58.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:57 (Ref:1952688)   #278
KA
Veteran

Update for RA2/66

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
RA2/66
JPS Team BMW display car (roadgoing)
Now with Hugh Tunley, NZ. for sale 2007?

RA2/74
1985- Yoshimi Enterprises, Japan

RA2/75
1985 Schnitzer (BMW M-Technik)
1986 Garage du Bac, France
subsequent owners in Spain
now with Ten-tenths member 'vap' 2007

RA2/77
RA2/78
RA2/79
1986 Schnitzer
Old 2 Jul 2007, 19:02 (Ref:1952696)   #279
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Hodges
My car #E24 RA2-46 has been restored in grp N spec not A, and is still for sale, Iwould still love any pictures/ photos/ info on my car, when it ran in the UK.
Gerry Hodges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkybm
Hi KA , just a little correction re chassis 046. It should read "converted to Group N spec" as that is how Whizzo Williams raced it, and how it went to NZ. Still is in GRP N spec...
Thanks guys- can I just check something? I'd got it into my head that RA2/46 had been in Group A spec at some point in it's life- was I imagining that bit...?
Old 2 Jul 2007, 19:07 (Ref:1952704)   #280
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian beckett
Here are my last few entries where I have actual chassis numbers which have not been added yet.1)Mullerbrau team from Germany had BMW Motorsport '83 built car....RA 27/ 2) Schnitzer #7 now in Munich BMW museum. 3) Schnitzer #13 ex Eterna sold to Serge Power in Belgium and then to Michel de DEyne. 4)Schnitzer #31 ex Meisterfoto/Bellof sold to Gubin Motorsport for Volker Strycek (German champ in it in '84). 5)Ralf Goring had ex Brun(AF 16849)in ETCC and hillclimbs. As a final observation the silver Group N car was in fact Albert Mirkos prepared by Colin Davids. Ian.
Thanks Ian- I think you'd posted some of those back in the thread as I'd got them, but the Mullerbrau car is definitely a new addition...

The Brun/Ralf Goring car described as AF16849- That's obviously not a BMW Motorsport 'RA' chassis number, so is it one given by the team, in the same way the BMW GB cars were known as CC29/30, or is it a car that was built up by Brun independently, without using a BMW Motorsport chassis?
Old 2 Jul 2007, 19:15 (Ref:1952712)   #281
KA
Veteran

I was looking at a copy of the 'Autosport' report from the Zolder ETC round in 85, and found this:

Fifth on the grid was the leading BMW, as normal, the leading Schnitzer car with Gerhard Berger and Roberto Ravaglia aboard. This was a brand new chassis --- Schnitzer's 12th 635CSi --- and it was a late starter, built up only after the team had leased one of their Spa cars to Bob Jane in Australia for the Bathurst event. The new car misbehaved itself. Berger, with 'qualifying' red and silver racing boots --- more fitted to a boxing ring so they said --- found the beast taxing indeed

http://www.davebarton.com/Volvo_Grou..._articles.html

We know that RA2/55 was the Schnitzer car that went to Bathurst, and RA2/60 was the 'skeleton' liveried Spa winner.
Looking at the chassis list, RA2/75 is also listed as a 1985 Schnitzer car- could this be the new car debuted at Zolder?
Old 2 Jul 2007, 22:03 (Ref:1952886)   #282
KA
Veteran

Quote:
. As a final observation the silver Group N car was in fact Albert Mirkos prepared by Colin Davids. Ian.
A good shot of the John Clark Group N car from the Production Saloons thread

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=130

Were the Mirko and Clark prodsaloons prepared from 'showroom' cars, or were Motorsport shells used, as with the Grace/Gartlan Barrie Williams car?
Old 3 Jul 2007, 09:28 (Ref:1953193)   #283
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I didn't recall the Clark podsaloon car being black, so that's good!

It was definitely white with thin red/blue BMW body striPes by the end of the year though IIRC. It was at Silverstone for a late '84 race (either TT or BRDC finals meeting) in such a scheme (always the chance it was Whizzo's but that was pretty much plain white?)

One other thing perhaps to point out is that the Group N cars that have come up (Clark's Mirko's, Whizzo's) were actually showroom production saloon spec cars, running on road tyres. Group N regs which was introduced into UK in the late 80's ran on slick tyres and the cars had one or two mods allowed over standard 'prodsaloon' spec. The 635's never ran in Group N in UK, these cars were prior to Group N being introduced.

KA thanks for the continual updates, great stuff.

ian mentions a Stycek '84 DRM winner being a Schnitzer car - so does that mean the Stuck car a few of us have seen in the museum in Stuttgart was just a competitor and not the champion. I'll see if I can zoom in on the info plaque in the photo I have of it!!

Last edited by chunterer; 3 Jul 2007 at 09:35.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 10:22 (Ref:1953253)   #284
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In '84 Brun Motorsport ran usually two but occasionally three cars,two being brand new Eggenberger built.The cars were driven byBrun himself,Hans Stuck,Leopold von Bayern(his car being built by Brun Motorsport)and Mario Ketterer.On one occasion at the Avus round,Manfred Winkelhock raced one of the cars under the Equipe Ligui Moly banner but it was actually a Brun car.In the final points table,Von Bayern was 10th,Brun 13th,Stuck 16th and Ketterer was 21st.Ketterer also ran his car in Euro hillclimbs.The team raced a single car at the Nurburgring 24 hours,Stuck,Harald Grohs and Dieter Quester being the drivers,they retired after an accident.Two cars were retained for 1985 and as mentioned earlier one car was sold to Ralf Goring.I do not know why this had the unusual chassis number AF 16849.At the end of 1985 one car was probably bought by Kurt Konig.I am pretty certain that the Jagermeister orange car was one of the Eggenberger built vehicles.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 10:28 (Ref:1953267)   #285
ian beckett
Racer

The ex Schnitzer chassis 31 was bought by Volker Strycek and run by Gubin Motorsport (a BMW dealership based in Bochum),they also sponsored the car.Strycek was champion in '84 and was 9th in '85.He eventually became the competion boss for Opel for some time.The car was then sold to Manfred Niederhof for '86.They did however build a brand new car for Karl-Heinz Schaferfor '86.At this stage of its competition life the 635 was not competitive and few results were gained in the sprint format of the German championship.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 20:59 (Ref:1953717)   #286
KA
Veteran

Update- added RA1/31

RA1/022
BMW France
sold to Frank Sytner
sold to Johnstone BMW in NZ
now owned by Dougal McGibbon (NZ)

RA1/25
Brun Motorsport? (Jagermeister) Stuck- 1984 DTM Champion
now in Museum of Science & Industry, Stuttgart

RA1/27
Mullerbrau Team, Germany

RA1/029
BS Automotive (Cheylesmore) replacement chassis for RA1/001
1983 BTCC- Stuck
1984 BTCC (Grundig)- David Kennedy
1985- sold to Brian Chatfield, used in a few BTCC rounds
1986- Manns Racing- (Barry Barnes) at Donington ETCC round- DNS?
1986- Barry Robinson- appeared at Silverstone TT
1988- Peter Buxtorf
subsequent owners, Nigel Smith, Kevin Underwood, Peter Speis.
Now with Alex Elliott?

RA1/31
1983 Schnitzer (Meisterfoto)- Bellof
1984- Gubin Motorsport- Volker Strycek, 1984 DTM Champion
1986- Manfred Neiderhof

RA2/034
Schnitzer (Original Teile) 1984 ETCC (Quester/Stuck)
1985 sold to Simon Emmerling in Australia
Still with Emmerling, rebuilt into Sports Sedan with Holden or Chevy V8. Crashed 2006
Old 4 Jul 2007, 05:54 (Ref:1953889)   #287
Gerard Hodges
Rookie

Gerard Hodges should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi KA,
In answer to your question, I only got to speak to Ted Grace once before he passed away. He insisted RA2-46 was originally in Grp A trim. This tallies with my information from BMW Motorsport. It was crashed(I think in testing) after which it was stripped, repaired & sat in his workshop as a bare shell. It was then rebuilt to Production Car Specs for Barrie Williams. As an aside, I have also heard that there were issues over the eligibility of the car for Production Racing (I call it Grp N), because of it's Motorsport Shell. It also ran a windage tray in the sump, high compression pistons, blueprinted & balanced engine, an Alpina modified computer, Wilwood brakes & of course a modified side exit exhaust.
John Morton, who brought the car into NZ, has told me that it was a bit of a "cheater" (aren't they all?).
I have restored the car back to the above spec.
Because of it's chequered history, I am really keen to find out the true story of the car. I hope this answers Ian's queries about Grp N as well.
Gerry
Old 4 Jul 2007, 19:12 (Ref:1954476)   #288
KA
Veteran

So that brings us back to a presumably 1984-season Group A car, crashed in testing and then either not rebuilt, or rebuilt into a different shell (from an existing, earlier car?), leaving the damaged RA2/46 stored in Grace's workshop until it was rebuilt into the Prodsaloon.

The Ted Grace involvement suggests a Sytner car, so do we have Frank intending to use an all-new car in 84, shunting it heavily in testing and having to start the season of his existing RA1/17 & RA1/22, possibly incorporating the 84-spec engine, drivetrain etc from RA2/46. You'd expect that once the shell was repaired the newer car would be brought back into service, but instead, could it for some reason have been laid aside to eventually become the Williams Prodsaloon, with Frank continuing with the uprated 1983 chassis?

Alternatively, could it have been a Group A car from another team crashed in testing and the damaged/repaired bare shell sold on to Grace to be built up into the Prodsaloon. If it had come from elsewhere though, the info you got from BMW Motorsport would surely have recorded that fact....

Anynoe got any ideas, or even better a half-forgotten piece of info that answers this question....?
Old 4 Jul 2007, 19:44 (Ref:1954506)   #289
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about asking someone like Frank Sytner, John Clark or Barrie Williams if they know?
Old 4 Jul 2007, 22:16 (Ref:1954632)   #290
GBRM
Veteran

England
Frustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
What about asking someone like Frank Sytner, John Clark or Barrie Williams if they know?
As no one has responded to this it makes me think and realise the reason stuff gets missed out.............just ask the people involved at the time whilst they are still alive, please do; I know these three guys through experience but this sort of car has no interest for me (don't mention the current 3.0CS for sale; I'm working on that) but I can promise you if "anyone" approached these guys they would fill in all the blanks of probably 5 cars, just someone either make the effort or prime with the questions and I will, but that's not ideal!
Old 4 Jul 2007, 22:41 (Ref:1954661)   #291
blinkybm
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
blinkybm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have written to Frank, and I'm hoping to speak to David Sutherland.....
Actually if anyone has contact details for John Clark, and Barrie Williams, I'd be most grateful.
Thanks
BC
Old 4 Jul 2007, 22:59 (Ref:1954685)   #292
Gerard Hodges
Rookie

Gerard Hodges should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
So that brings us back to a presumably 1984-season Group A car, crashed in testing and then either not rebuilt, or rebuilt into a different shell (from an existing, earlier car?), leaving the damaged RA2/46 stored in Grace's workshop until it was rebuilt into the Prodsaloon.

The Ted Grace involvement suggests a Sytner car, so do we have Frank intending to use an all-new car in 84, shunting it heavily in testing and having to start the season of his existing RA1/17 & RA1/22, possibly incorporating the 84-spec engine, drivetrain etc from RA2/46. You'd expect that once the shell was repaired the newer car would be brought back into service, but instead, could it for some reason have been laid aside to eventually become the Williams Prodsaloon, with Frank continuing with the uprated 1983 chassis?

Alternatively, could it have been a Group A car from another team crashed in testing and the damaged/repaired bare shell sold on to Grace to be built up into the Prodsaloon. If it had come from elsewhere though, the info you got from BMW Motorsport would surely have recorded that fact....

Anynoe got any ideas, or even better a half-forgotten piece of info that answers this question....?
Hi KA,First of all, thanks to Gregor for replying to my post on the Production Car thread. I will follow it up.
RA2-46 was not bought from another team. I quote BMW Motorsport fax to me "as far as we could enquire your demand, it was a Grp A car which was delivered in 1984 to Grace Racing GB as a RHD car." When I spoke briefly to Ted, he gave me the info I have relayed here. He also said, after the shell was rebuilt, Frank Sytner said it would never be the same & didn't want to use it. That is all I know about the Grp A history of my car. What I am sure about is that it was built for the Prod Car Series & I am sure it was Barrie Williams' car, once again, Ted gave me this information.
He was going to put it in writing but unfortunately left us before this could happen. So as you can gather, I am trying to trace the history but being on the other side of the world is extremely difficult. That is why I am hoping either yourselves or Gregor can put some of the jigsaw together.
I have no reason to doubt what Ted said as he told me the Grp N engine specs off the top of his head & when I pulled the engine apart, it was exactly as he had said.
Any info, results, photos greatly appreciated. Gerry
Old 4 Jul 2007, 23:28 (Ref:1954713)   #293
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Hodges
Hi KA,First of all, thanks to Gregor for replying to my post on the Production Car thread. I will follow it up.
RA2-46 was not bought from another team. I quote BMW Motorsport fax to me "as far as we could enquire your demand, it was a Grp A car which was delivered in 1984 to Grace Racing GB as a RHD car." When I spoke briefly to Ted, he gave me the info I have relayed here. He also said, after the shell was rebuilt, Frank Sytner said it would never be the same & didn't want to use it. That is all I know about the Grp A history of my car. What I am sure about is that it was built for the Prod Car Series & I am sure it was Barrie Williams' car, once again, Ted gave me this information.
He was going to put it in writing but unfortunately left us before this could happen. So as you can gather, I am trying to trace the history but being on the other side of the world is extremely difficult. That is why I am hoping either yourselves or Gregor can put some of the jigsaw together.
I have no reason to doubt what Ted said as he told me the Grp N engine specs off the top of his head & when I pulled the engine apart, it was exactly as he had said.
Any info, results, photos greatly appreciated. Gerry
Gerry- that sounds very much like it was originally intended to be Sytner's 1984 BTCC car then, before the testing accident intervened. That definitely makes 100% more sense than my alternative theory which would have needed one of the other UK-based 635 teams- ie CC Motorsport- to have had an additional car/shell we hadn't previously accounted for....
Old 5 Jul 2007, 09:12 (Ref:1954963)   #294
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
I have written to Frank, and I'm hoping to speak to David Sutherland.....
Actually if anyone has contact details for John Clark, and Barrie Williams, I'd be most grateful.
Thanks
BC
It's fairly easy to get John Clark's work details, he has the largest BMW dealer Group in Scotland, called John Clark BMW. Unfortunately I've not got his personal number but I could get it if there is no luck contacting him at work. Incidentally his son now works for BMW GB (well did when I worked there 3years ago) and was poduct manager for the 1, 6, and 7 series.

I've pm'd Gerry Barrie's telephone number, I don't want to give it out to too many people, it would tire Barrie out with all that talking he does at his age!!
Old 5 Jul 2007, 12:21 (Ref:1955107)   #295
blinkybm
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
blinkybm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The continuing saga of RA2/046

I have just spoken with John Clark, and he says that there were only ever two RHD 635's, and that they were definately built in the UK by CC Motorsport.

We know that RA2/046 was delivered in 1984 to "Grace Racing GB" as a RHD car. We believe that it was crashed early in the 84 season, possibly in testing or at Donington. Ted Grace, before he passed away, said that it was stripped, repaired & sat in his workshop as a bare shell. It was then rebuilt to Production Car Specs for Barrie Williams, who raced it in 1985. It was then sold to John Morton in New Zealand.

We also know that BMW GB / CC Motorsport had two BTCC cars, RA2/037 & RA2/039, which were given CC Motorsport chassis numbers CC29 (driven by James Weaver) and CC30 (Vince Woodman).

CC30 was crashed at Donington and reshelled and became 'CC31'.
In 1985 both cars (and spare car RA001) were sold to Frank Sytner, who had sold his 1984 cars, both LHD, presumably RA2/017 and RA2/022, to New Zealand.
CC29 (RHD) was sold on to Mike Newman and raced in BTCC events in 1985-7.
CC31 (RHD) raced by Sytner 1985 BTCC, sold to Charlie O'Brien/Erle McRae Motorsport and raced at Sandown & Bathurst.

Therefore it is possible that chassis 046, was in fact the car that was crashed, presumably donating its running gear to a new shell, and ended up in Ted Grace's workshop. Frank Sytner is reported to have said "it would never be the same & didn't want to use it".I imagine that at the time, parts were bought and sold quite freely between teams.

The car that John Clark raced with David Sutherland at the 84 TT was LHD and therefore was either 017 or 022. So this all gives some credence to what KA thought - that 046 had come from another team. It also fits with what Gerry Hodges knows. John also said that Ted Grace never owned any cars - he just prepared them on behalf of others. So it is possible that 046 never actually raced in a Group A event, unless it was raced very early in 84!

I'm going to keep going with this one; I've yet to hear from Frank Sytner and I want to speak to a couple of other drivers.... Stay Tuned !!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Bill Cutler

Old 5 Jul 2007, 12:59 (Ref:1955147)   #296
ian beckett
Racer

In yet another attempt to get to the bottom of the Sytner cars,I have just gone through my files again and re-read all my notes from the time as well as any correspondence I received including a letter from Frank Sytner from 23 January 1986. The first Sytner car was started in Decenber '82 By Ted Grace whe was based in Pershore,Worcestershire as a preparation expert not a team owner as such.The car was finished by March/April of '83 and was left hand drive.It had an Alpina prepared engine and was in long distance trim with air jacks built in as well as bigger fuel tank,This was used by Frank in the Trimoco British series on 5 occasions.It also raced at the Donington and Silverstone ETCC races co-driven by Brian Muir.Sadly on the way home from Silverstone, Muir collapsed and died.In '84 the original car was initially used for Frank in the British series but was crashed heavily at the Silverstone ETCC race where Barrie Williams was the co-driver.The car was repaired with a brand new''rear end''.A new car was built by Ted Grace in August '84.At the Silverstone ETCC a second car ran driven by John Clark/David Sutherland,they were 15 th.A car had also been run at the Spa 24 hours for Frank and the Simons brothers from Belgium,they were 9th.A group N(Production class) car was built by Ted grace for Barrie Williams(the car looked like a replica of the Sytner Group A version).This was for sale in Autosport 14/4/88 at £10,000 from Ted Grace.The newly built car was sold to John Morton in New Zealand and Sytner co drove this with him in early '85. The older Group A car was retained into '85 but was also eventually sold to Graham Johnson/John Morton.
Old 5 Jul 2007, 13:21 (Ref:1955169)   #297
ian beckett
Racer

At the start of '85 Sytner acquired the three BMW GB/CC Motorsport cars one of which was the original Eggenberger car CC had raced, this was sold in June '85 to probably Raymond van Hove in Belgium.One car was sold almost immediately to Mike Newman(ex-Weaver)(who still owns it).Sytner ran a car in the British series,winning at Silverstone (still in the original left hand drive car). At both British ETCC races two cars were entered.At the Silverstone round a car was hired by South Africans Tony Viana/Nicola Bianco#35 who were 8th.This car was ex BMW GB as it still was in white with silver panels and was sponsored by Scope magazine.The dates of sales are critical here and I do not have this information.Sytners remaining ex-BMW GB car(ex-Woodman) was eventually sold to Charlie O'Brien in Australia and he got it in time to race at Bathurst.This leaves me not understanding exactly which car Sytner actually ran for the bulk of the British series and how two cars were entered at the Donington ETCC(April)and Silverstone(September)if he had sold on cars to Newman,Morton(for races down under early in '85) and the Belgian team!!It seems that Sytner had a total of five 635's passing through his hands plus the Group'N' car which is sort of his and all are accounted for.His team was wound up at the end of '85 and Frank went on to race a 635 for Cibiemme and a 325 for Autobudde in '86 before the M3 became his weapon of choice.
Old 5 Jul 2007, 16:04 (Ref:1955316)   #298
KA
Veteran

Quote:
I have just spoken with John Clark, and he says that there were only ever two RHD 635's, and that they were definately built in the UK by CC Motorsport.

We know that RA2/046 was delivered in 1984 to "Grace Racing GB" as a RHD car. We believe that it was crashed early in the 84 season, possibly in testing or at Donington. Ted Grace, before he passed away, said that it was stripped, repaired & sat in his workshop as a bare shell. It was then rebuilt to Production Car Specs for Barrie Williams, who raced it in 1985. It was then sold to John Morton in New Zealand.

We also know that BMW GB / CC Motorsport had two BTCC cars, RA2/037 & RA2/039, which were given CC Motorsport chassis numbers CC29 (driven by James Weaver) and CC30 (Vince Woodman).

CC30 was crashed at Donington and reshelled and became 'CC31'.
In 1985 both cars (and spare car RA001) were sold to Frank Sytner, who had sold his 1984 cars, both LHD, presumably RA2/017 and RA2/022, to New Zealand.
CC29 (RHD) was sold on to Mike Newman and raced in BTCC events in 1985-7.
CC31 (RHD) raced by Sytner 1985 BTCC, sold to Charlie O'Brien/Erle McRae Motorsport and raced at Sandown & Bathurst.

Therefore it is possible that chassis 046, was in fact the car that was crashed, presumably donating its running gear to a new shell, and ended up in Ted Grace's workshop. Frank Sytner is reported to have said "it would never be the same & didn't want to use it".I imagine that at the time, parts were bought and sold quite freely between teams.

The car that John Clark raced with David Sutherland at the 84 TT was LHD and therefore was either 017 or 022. So this all gives some credence to what KA thought - that 046 had come from another team. It also fits with what Gerry Hodges knows. John also said that Ted Grace never owned any cars - he just prepared them on behalf of others. So it is possible that 046 never actually raced in a Group A event, unless it was raced very early in 84!

I'm going to keep going with this one; I've yet to hear from Frank Sytner and I want to speak to a couple of other drivers.... Stay Tuned !!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Bill Cutler
To be honest Bill, the more I think about this, the more I tend to think that RA2/46 was, or was at least intended to be, a Sytner car that we've previously missed out when compiling the list. The info that BMW Motorsport gave to Gerry said it was supplied to Ted Grace, who prepared the Sytner cars. Unless I've misunderstood previous postings, I don't think Ted Grace was involved with either the BMW GB cars (Dave Cook & Peter Clark at CC Motorsport) or the Cheylesmore car (Bob Sparshott at BS Automotive I think?).
Looking at what Ian's posted this afernoon, I've got a definite feeling that Sytner's race activity as described compared with the dates at which cars were apparently sold on seem to suggest that that we might have slightly under-estimated the number of cars to pass through Frank's hands....I'm fairly convinced now that the answer to this question lies with Mr Sytner!
Old 5 Jul 2007, 16:19 (Ref:1955331)   #299
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Unless I've misunderstood previous postings, I don't think Ted Grace was involved with either the BMW GB cars (Dave Cook & Peter Clark at CC Motorsport) or the Cheylesmore car (Bob Sparshott at BS Automotive I think?).
KA i'm certain the BMW GB cars had nothing to do with Grace but I think you and I (and probably ian!!) covered early in the thread that the Cheylesmore '84 car was the same one originally prep'd by Ted Grace & Malcolm Gartlan in Pershore (but supplied by BMW works) for Hans Stuck's handful of outings in the 1983 BTCC? That might help you to rule that particular car out of the equation?
Old 5 Jul 2007, 16:33 (Ref:1955350)   #300
KA
Veteran

Looking at the summary of Sytner 635 activity in these two posts, I wonder if the answer lies somewhere in what you've posted- going through it in stages:

Quote:
The first Sytner car was started in Decenber '82 By Ted Grace whe was based in Pershore,Worcestershire as a preparation expert not a team owner as such.The car was finished by March/April of '83 and was left hand drive.It had an Alpina prepared engine and was in long distance trim with air jacks built in as well as bigger fuel tank,This was used by Frank in the Trimoco British series on 5 occasions.It also raced at the Donington and Silverstone ETCC races co-driven by Brian Muir.Sadly on the way home from Silverstone, Muir collapsed and died.
  • So this is the original Sytner LHD car, RA1/17?
Quote:
In '84 the original car was initially used for Frank in the British series but was crashed heavily at the Silverstone ETCC race where Barrie Williams was the co-driver.The car was repaired with a brand new''rear end''.A new car was built by Ted Grace in August '84.At the Silverstone ETCC a second car ran driven by John Clark/David Sutherland,they were 15 th.A car had also been run at the Spa 24 hours for Frank and the Simons brothers from Belgium,they were 9th.
  • So we've got Frank starting the season with RA1/17, which is crashed at the TT. It's also the car that finished 9th at Spa?.
  • The new car (RA1/22?) is started in August and presumably appears alongside RA1/17 at the TT for Clark/Sutherland- Frank presumably preferring to rely on the older proven car I guess.... RA1/17 is crashed and rebuilt with a new rear end
Quote:
A group N(Production class) car was built by Ted grace for Barrie Williams(the car looked like a replica of the Sytner Group A version).This was for sale in Autosport 14/4/88 at £10,000 from Ted Grace.
  • Enter RA2/46, apparently rebuilt from a damaged Group A shell in Ted Grace's workshop- but when, and where did it come from....?
Quote:
The newly built car was sold to John Morton in New Zealand and Sytner co drove this with him in early '85. The older Group A car was retained into '85 but was also eventually sold to Graham Johnson/John Morton.
  • So over the winter of 84/5, Sytner sells RA1/22(?) to John Morton in NZ.
  • He keeps RA1/17 for part of 85 before eventually selling it to Morton and Johnson.
  • If I remember correctly, the Prodsaloon RA2/46 also possibly goes to NZ as part of one of these deals?

Tags
atcc, bavaria automobiles, btcc, cc motorsport, dieter quester, dpm, dtm, eggenberger, frank gardner, garage du bac, group a, hans stuck, helmut kelleners, james weaver, jim richards, ravaglia, schnitzer, spa 24 hours, sytner, umberto grano